Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

2011 Subaru Forrester VS 2011 Subaru Outback

So against my will I am looking like I need a new car. I'm closely looking these two Subaru models and was wondering if others have had the issue of choosing one model over the other.

What was your experience and what put one model over the top vs the other?

I've owned both. The Outback is longer and fits skis better with seats down. It also doesn't shout carpet muncher as loudly as the Forester.

From an aesthetic standpoint, IMHO, I find the new Outback fugly as shit.

That's all I can add.
    "A local is just a dirtbag who can't get his shit together enough to travel."

- Owl Chapman

Quote Originally Posted by Benny Profane View Post
    I've owned both. The Outback is longer and fits skis better with seats down. It also doesn't shout carpet muncher as loudly as the Forester.
    Heh, perhaps the worst part about being a Subaru owner. Then again, it's just a car like any other.

Quote Originally Posted by peterslovo View Post

That's all I can add.
    Agreed.. at least compared to the older ones. On the flip side, I think the newer Forrester looks much better than the older models.

Can't comment on the reliability, haven't owned a newer Subaru.(got a 95' legacy still going strong, though.) Soo, not much help here either.
    "Some folks look for answers
    Others look for fights
    Some folks up in treetops
    Just look to see the sights"

A SIMPLE QUESTION (That should be in Tech Talk, Bitch)
    Quote Originally Posted by wolfelot View Post
    So against my will I am looking like I need a new car. I'm closely looking these two Subaru models and was wondering if others have had the issue of choosing one model over the other.

What was your experience and what put one model over the top vs the other?
    A useful answer, by someone to whom the question was directed to:
    Quote Originally Posted by Benny Profane View Post
    Useless Moron
    Quote Originally Posted by peterslovo View Post

That's all I can add.
    Useless Moron
    Quote Originally Posted by Microcosm View Post
    Heh, perhaps the worst part about being a Subaru owner. Then again, it's just a car like any other.

Agreed.. at least compared to the older ones. On the flip side, I think the newer Forrester looks much better than the older models.

Can't comment on the reliability, haven't owned a newer Subaru.(got a 95' legacy still going strong, though.) Soo, not much help here either.
    Do you guys all post just to see your avatars or something? This is the dilution that is killing this place.

USELESS MORON. Did you post this just to see your avatar or something? This is the faggotry that is killing this place.

Quote Originally Posted by P_McPoser View Post

Useless Moron

Useless Moron

Do you guys all post just to see your avatars or something? This is the dilution that is killing this place.
    OP: you are attempting to decide between two vehicles which are nigh identical.
    Step one: Buy a car
    Step two: drive from point A to point B
    Step three: stop posting retarded threads which have been covered at least 1000 times before
    I thought their offices would be strewn with bunny-fucking and condom dispensers, a veritable enchanted forest of cock shafts and twat mist. - JoeStrummer

Get the Outback.

Yeah, a black Outback with a black box on top. Almost cool.

BUY AMERICAN, BITCH!

Quote Originally Posted by belgian View Post
    USELESS MORON. Did you post this just to see your avatar or something? This is the faggotry that is killing this place.

OP: you are attempting to decide between two vehicles which are nigh identical.
    Step one: Buy a car
    Step two: drive from point A to point B
    Step three: stop posting retarded threads which have been covered at least 1000 times before
    almost funny, moron.

What's wrong with looking like a carpet muncher? As a straight guy I love eating pussy and have no problem with a car affirms that.
    I'm in a band. It's called "Just the Tip."

I'm leaning towards the Outback. Oh and the reason I'm buying is my worthless A4 needs a new transmission. Excellent.

Quote Originally Posted by P_McPoser View Post

Useless Moron

Useless Moron

HEY ASSHAT, GO FUCK YOURSELF.

And as a matter of course, I do. Ever seen the tv show dinosaurs? It's the SHIT.

That aside, I'm interested to see where this thread goes and now it's in my subscribed threads. Mission accomplished! If you don't want to hear what I have to say, put me on ignore. Or better yet, shutoff your computer. You totally added to this thread too, by the way. Calling others out and fueling a flame war is soooo productive. I'm a youngster, bound to step on some toes and cause trouble. What the fuck is your excuse? And hell, I've got an oldass suby that's still kicking it. Wouldn't the OP be glad to know the company has had reliable cars in the past? Obviously the newer cars are pretty much completely different, but the company remains the same.

What the fuck do you know about cars and the technology that goes into them? If a lot, then AWESOME and please help out the OP and educate us all. If nothing, then refer to my original line. (In case you forgot, it was GO FUCK YOURSELF.)
    "Some folks look for answers
    Others look for fights
    Some folks up in treetops
    Just look to see the sights"

Quick, somebody post a picture of that subaru painted like a gay pride flag and with a humongous dildo stuck to the hood.... I don't feel like trying to find it, and I'm sure there are plenty of smartasses with it saved on their computer.
    "Shit, I'll choke her while she's cleaning, and I'll do it wearing a helmet cam mounted on a full-face helmet.
    I'll have meatdrink9 do the lighting for the shot. He'll make it artsy as fuck."
    - Phunk

Agreed on the fugly as shit comment above. I hate the minivan wannabe direction they've gone with the Outback. They need to come up with a hybrid between the current Outback and the Imprezas. The Imprezas are just a tad too small for my taste, and the Outback is just a tad too minivan. I want something like a Subaru version of the All Road, or perhaps A6. Give it a turbo, make it fun to drive, and keep the utility.

As far as I'm concerned old outback (05-09) > new outback> Forester.

But new Foresters are a lot better looking and for '11 they made significant upgrades to the 4 cyl engine (Forester only) see below:

The new engine retains the same displacement as the outgoing mill and achieves the same 170-horsepower, but it's now packing a chain driven double overhead cam versus the belt driven single overhead cam before. The result is maximum horsepower available at a lower RPM and an additional four pound-feet of torque (to 174 lb-ft). The new 2.5-liter helps the Forester post 21 miles-per-gallon in the city and 27 mpg on the highway whether you're sporting the manual or automatic transmission. That's up one mpg versus the outgoing model.
    Damn, we're in a tight spot!

Hugh Conway Guest
    You should buy an Audi. Or a Suburban. Or a Dodge Power Wagon. Or maybe an iPad.

Quote Originally Posted by Lev View Post
    I want something like a Subaru version of the All Road, or perhaps A6. Give it a turbo, make it fun to drive, and keep the utility.

Painfully obvious.

spook Guest
    you should get on consumer reports and do a side by side. we considered both but ended up buying the 2010 forester. i hated the old foresters (and really liked the older outbacks), but i actually really like the looks of this one.

if i recall correctly, the forester had higher clearance, more headroom, larger rear storage and when i got into both of them, i liked the forester a lot better. a lot more space to change in.

I bought a 2011 Legacy GT sedan yesterday. Its pretty snazzy. You should get one.

Quote Originally Posted by yooper View Post
    Quick, somebody post a picture of that subaru painted like a gay pride flag and with a humongous dildo stuck to the hood.... I don't feel like trying to find it, and I'm sure there are plenty of smartasses with it saved on their computer.
    via commonlaw's p-bucket

holy fucking shitballs

Your new full suspension 29er won't fit inside your new outback without taking the wheel off first, but it fits right into the Forester...FWIW.

After lurking on the site for 4 years, I officially joined to reply to your thread because ironically it was a Subaru thread that first lead me to this forum so it seemed like the perfect time to actually share something.

The wife and I bought a 2010 Forester XT fully loaded with navigation, leather etc. It is my 4th Subaru and most recently had a 2000 Outback Limited. The Forester is a great car, but don't buy one without the turbo unless you like going slow.... or keeping your gas money for beer. That said, if you have money for either the Outback is an entirely different class of vehicle than the Forester so get the Outback. The Forester build quality is much lower. For example the Forester interior sucks... even compared to a 2000 Outback. The visors are shitty vinyl and the friction based clamps can't hold them in any useful position other than up. No visor lights either; not that you need em, but come pretty much should be standard for a car over 25k. There is no glovebox light. The power lock and window controls on the Forester driver door do not illuminate very well. The nav locks itself out at 10 mph (and so does the DVD player). There are workarounds such as grounding the ebrake wire, but come on, when driving across the country shouldn't everyone have the ability for the passenger to find a restaurant or some gas without cutting wires? The front doors both have interior rattles and now the console is starting to develop a rattle. I will be ordering some gasket material from McMaster and chasing down rattles when it is warm again.

Some of the below comments may apply to the Outback as well.
    If you opt for remote start you have to have 2 fobs. The ipod integration for 2010 is also an afterthought. Both the Outback and the Forester have heated wiper trays available which are useful, but lead to locks of cracked windshields which all start from the wiper tray. Get glass insurance.

Quote Originally Posted by MtnRooster View Post
    After lurking on the site for 4 years, I officially joined to reply to your thread because ironically it was a Subaru thread that first lead me to this forum so it seemed like the perfect time to actually share something.

The wife and I bought a 2010 Forester XT fully loaded with navigation, leather etc. It is my 4th Subaru and most recently had a 2000 Outback Limited. The Forester is a great car, but don't buy one without the turbo unless you like going slow.... or keeping your gas money for beer. That said, if you have money for either the Outback is an entirely different class of vehicle than the Forester so get the Outback. The Forester build quality is much lower. For example the Forester interior sucks... even compared to a 2000 Outback. The visors are shitty vinyl and the friction based clamps can't hold them in any useful position other than up. No visor lights either; not that you need em, but come pretty much should be standard for a car over 25k. There is no glovebox light. The power lock and window controls on the Forester driver door do not illuminate very well. The nav locks itself out at 10 mph (and so does the DVD player). There are workarounds such as grounding the ebrake wire, but come on, when driving across the country shouldn't everyone have the ability for the passenger to find a restaurant or some gas without cutting wires? The front doors both have interior rattles and now the console is starting to develop a rattle. I will be ordering some gasket material from McMaster and chasing down rattles when it is warm again.

If you opt for remote start you have to have 2 fobs. The ipod integration for 2010 is also an afterthought. Both the Outback and the Forester have heated wiper trays available which are useful, but lead to locks of cracked windshields which all start from the wiper tray. Get glass insurance.
    Welcome MtnRooster. Thanks for your perspective. Not bad for a first post.

Quote Originally Posted by MtnRooster View Post

Quote Originally Posted by wolfelot View Post
    Welcome MtnRooster. Thanks for your perspective. Not bad for a first post.
    Actually, I think it's the gayest first post I can ever remember. But, well, I guess this thread was bound to elicit it.