Thread: Big snow storms

Big snow storms

What are the biggest snow storms you have been in?

mine are...

Biggest snow total - 2004 Christmas to new years at JH
    5 feet of snow, this wasn’t really one storm so it doesn’t count

Biggest 1 day total- feb 18 2003
    30 inches, it came quick too

Nastiest storm
    Jan 7th 1996, lots of snow LOTS of wind
    Feb 1993, a good bit of snow followed by an inch of ice

A picture of the Chesapeake bay on feb 18 03... the bay isnt frozen, the snow fell so fast that it just made a snow pack on top of it
    http://www.weatherbook.com/images/ches_compare.jpg

Snow fortcast for 1996 storm
    http://www.weatherbook.com/images/1996_5.jpg

Radar animation of the 2003 storm
    http://www.weatherarchive.net/2003/0216/radar-anim.gif

I am sure you all will kill mine, but i live.... well, i live in hell
    Last edited by Droopy; 12-16-2004 at 02:28 AM.

"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety."
    Ben Franklin

Close to 120" in a week at Squaw - early 1996. Wind brought down a tree which collapsed a lift tower on the upper part of the mountain.

My biggest single day was 36" overnight in Steamboat. It was supper light and fluffy and it was still too much for that hill. I straight lined four points lift line and still had to break trail the last hundred yards back to the lift. It was much better later when it got cut up.

That Mid-Atlantic storm in '03 was fun. Shooting weather pix in it was not.

Not really a storm, but it snowed about 4"-6" daily in Vail from the middle of Jan '92 'til the middle of March. I think we got 500in+ of snow that year, exceptional for that part of CO. 50 powder days in a row. The locals were literally praying for sun by the end of the cycle.

Quote Originally Posted by Shredhead
    My biggest single day was 36" overnight in Steamboat. It was supper light and fluffy and it was still too much for that hill. I straight lined four points lift line and still had to break trail the last hundred yards back to the lift. It was much better later when it got cut up.
    i'm thinking it was one day in january '96 if we're talking about the same day. shit, it dumped a little over 200" that month so they all blend together. the particular day that i'm thinking of was just as you say...too much at first. snowboarders getting stuck all over the place. i remember seeing one of the coolest things i've ever seen on the hill. we had just gooten off of the sundown chair and were heading down the saddle between storm peak and sundown peak to head into "sideburn" (always deep on pow days) anyways, i hear this snowmobile coming up the hill just rapping it out hard. there was a guy riding it with his knees up on the seat and all you could see was his head. the snow was so light that the sled was on the hardpack and it looked like a mole going through the snow. whish i had some video of that day. '92/'93 season had some days like that, also.

Somewhere around 60" in 48 hours at A-Basin in March '03. Deepest snow I have ever skied, including 48" in two days at Alta back in Feb.'91. I fell, out of pure exhaustion, on one run and thought I was going to drown.
    Old's Cool.

Quote Originally Posted by cmsummit
    Somewhere around 60" in 48 hours at A-Basin in March '03. Deepest snow I have ever skied, including 48" in two days at Alta back in Feb.'91. I fell, out of pure exhaustion, on one run and thought I was going to drown.
    Yeah that was a baddass storm. staying in frisco when the storm hit, was supposed to drive home that day, but alas they closed the interstate so I was forced to stay and ski

46 inches in 24 hours

120 inches in 10 days

http://www.biglines.com/photos/blpic11052.jpg

Mine was when I was about 6 in 1992. I only had xc skis back then and a sled, but we got about 3" or fluff here in PA overnight. It was awesome because i was so short back then so the snow seemed higher. Nice avatar xboat!!

I think it was March 2000? Need some help from the local folks here. Arrived at the Peruvian after patrol had triggered the slide that filled in a few rooms, and overturned cars, etc. The next day the mountain opened for the first time a few days. Not sure how many inches had fallenm let's say 30+. Belly deep and the best skiing of my life.
    I know it's highlighted in a TGR flick, can't remember which one.

Quote Originally Posted by norest
    I think it was March 2000? Need some help from the local folks here. Arrived at the Peruvian after patrol had triggered the slide that filled in a few rooms, and overturned cars, etc. The next day the mountain opened for the first time a few days. Not sure how many inches had fallenm let's say 30+. Belly deep and the best skiing of my life.
    I know it's highlighted in a TGR flick, can't remember which one.
    That storm happend the day after the very first maggot summit accord!! I just remember walking in the door at home after our flight and seeing punani's post's about how sick it was and that he was never leaving.

Mine is the same as powwrangler's, except we build a jump into the creek across the street from our house. I believe hardrider even threw a daffy
    "Dream as if you'll live forever, live as if you'll die tomorrow"

Moment skis

Hands down North Tahoe in the Christmas 82-83 El Nino. It snowed 2" an hour for a week (yeah, thats 28 feet and this was at lower altitude in Tahoe Donner). We got snowed in. Power went out, had to cook on the woodstove and XC ski to my cousins place since they had a propane water heater so we could take a shower. No ski resorts were open, no roads were open, no gas stations had gas, no markets had food. All I had to do was play with the dope Lego Castle set I had just gotten for Xmas.
    "Great barbecue makes you want to slap your granny up the side of her head." - Southern Saying

Winter 1999 here in Leysin.
    We had 3 meters in the village at one time.
    I skied with goggles until Easter weekend.
    Everyday between mid-Jan to March was a pow day.

Other than that,
    Tits deep last year, and the year before.
    Ski, Bike, Climb.
    Resistence is futile.

100" in 100 hours, storm total 109" in 120 hours. Wasatch November 22 - 26 2001.

First big one of the year. None of the ski areas were open. It was cold, averaged under 7%. The snow was right side up w/no density inversions. At mid-elevations there was no old snow, so no weak layer. A handful of us kept the trail open from Spruces in BCC. White room, time your breathing, aim the sluff, day after day. It was nuts.

Went up LCC the first bluebird morning after the road opened. Got Flagstaff a couple times before work. Still gives me goosebumps. It stayed cold & the snow stayed good. Skied my brains out five days in a row & eight out of ten.

A friend had just moved to BCC, they got quite a welcome. No power for two weeks. Snowbanks over their heads. Thanksgiving dinner on the woodstove. One to remember.
    Last edited by Shredgar; 12-16-2004 at 01:42 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by LegoSkier
    Hands down North Tahoe in the Christmas 82-83 El Nino. It snowed 2" an hour for a week (yeah, thats 28 feet and this was at lower altitude in Tahoe Donner). We got snowed in. Power went out, had to cook on the woodstove and XC ski to my cousins place since they had a propane water heater so we could take a shower. No ski resorts were open, no roads were open, no gas stations had gas, no markets had food. All I had to do was play with the dope Lego Castle set I had just gotten for Xmas.
    A guy on a chair one time was telling about the same storm I think. He flew out to Tahoe for a week, never got to ski. When he had to dig the rental car out at the end of the week they shoveled for hours only to find that they had dug out the wrong car.