Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Good foods for serious energy pick up

I've been resorting to caffeine lately but would rather just use a food rather than a stimulant. I get jittery as shit if I have too much coffee plus figure it would be healthier to use something else anyway. Any suggestions?

I love bananas, I do a banana after my cardio workout, to have energy for my weight lifting. There is no magic pick me up anything except a good diet. I do high potency B-complex supplements too.
    Shut up and ski

coca tea. (pic not mine, from a friend who was on vacation in south america)

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	coca tea.jpg 
Views:	47 
Size:	60.1 KB 
ID:	94262

and the new photo uploader sucks.
    Quote Originally Posted by Smoke
    Cell phones are great in the backcountry. If you're injured, you can use them to play Tetris, which helps pass the time while waiting for cold embrace of Death to envelop you.

Paging Spats to the white courtesy phone for an endless rant on paleo.

Acutally I do agree this is were it is best to stay away from carbs. A can of tuna works well here for me.

I agree it is a constitutional right for Americans to be assholes...its just too bad that so many take the opportunity...
    iscariot

Hugh Conway Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by farmer View Post
    coca tea. (pic not mine, from a friend who was on vacation in south america)

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	coca tea.jpg 
Views:	47 
Size:	60.1 KB 
ID:	94262

and the new photo uploader sucks.
    No need to make tea; chew the leaves.

Quote Originally Posted by Hugh Conway View Post
    No need to make tea; chew the leaves.
    No need to chew the leaves...

Life is simple. Go Explore.

^Ha, saw that coming. I second bananas...and oranges too. I'm not a big breakfast person so I've recently discovered that chugging diet shakes does a great job getting me to lunch. Then instead of falling asleep after a big lunch I am recharged. I have a crazy high metabolism so coffee gives me the jitters too if I don't have a full stomach...

x2 on the protein (homemade jerky is the bomb), but when I need a quick sugar charge halfway up a skin or while biking, I keep a small container of raisins and dark chocolate. Almost instantaneous energy boost, better than any of those energy bars and such.
    Last edited by BCMountainHound; 03-05-2011 at 09:29 PM.

papaya, pineapple, peanuts, cashews

and if you want something hot to drink, yerba mate
    go for rob

www.dpsskis.com

Hugh Conway Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by marshalolson View Post
    and if you want something hot to drink, yerba mate
    culturally yerba doesn't inspire serious energy. sit around and suck from the bombilla.. not get out and rage

You have two options that aren't drugs: either eat sugar for the transitory high, or eat meals that don't leave you on a blood sugar rollercoaster.

If you're just looking for sugar, anything works...preferably with some accompanying fat to slow down the absorption. Chocolate is fine.

If you want to keep it between the rails on a regular basis, eat low-carb meals (preferably paleo due to health benefits) with plenty of fat...bacon and eggs is a perfectly fine breakfast.

nuts. no homo

Thanks everyone. I think if I ate coca leaves I might stay awake for 3 days lol. Spats- every time I try the low carb diet, I get extremely dizzy about 24 hrs later- can you tell me what that's about?

Raisins, peanuts and chocolate in equal portions is doing it for me right now.

landjaeger sauasge is cheap, not too spicy ,all protien not messy , doesnt need refrigeration and you can put an unwrapped sausage in yer pocket without making a mess so its a handy snak

a fried egg sandwich is all i need for breakfast but I think the polarized eat nothing but protien way of thinking is over the top , the 1st nations ate paleo cuz thats all they had ... I eat a bit of fruits/veg/carb just not much and not much food period

you don't need sugar unless you are into sugar in which case you gotta keep feeding the habit

I've found avocados, mangoes, and blackberries to do the trick.
    Last edited by PappaG; 03-06-2011 at 05:12 PM.

Spats has it about right. You want carbs+fats to slow down the insulin dump. Forget paying for a bar. Bananas, nuts, chocolate, your choice. I'd only add to stay hydrated; dehydration can mimic energy loss. Water beats the energy drinks that give you too much simple sugars. Teas, particularly green tea, are a good alternative to coffee since they're lower in caffeine but higher in theophylline. Which is a CNS stimulant, increases your mental alertness without the side effects of caffeine (jitters) in typical doses. Also a bronchodilator, if you have asthma. Not sure theophylline helps reflex speed, though, caffeine does.

2/3 monster energy - 1/3 red bull plus 2 extra spoon sugar and extra taurin to kick off the placebo

here u go

chia seeds in water
    watch out for snakes

Bacon.

Cope.

Fish in hot sauce.

Those are your choices.

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    landjaeger sauasge is cheap, not too spicy ,all protien not messy , doesnt need refrigeration and you can put an unwrapped sausage in yer pocket without making a mess so its a handy snak
    And you get to gas everyone you ski with.
    I don't work and I don't save, desperate women pay my way.

IMO excessive farting is a sign of overeating BUT what's a little methane amongst good friends?

Quote Originally Posted by PappaG View Post
    I've found avocados, mangoes, and blackberries to do the trick.

Sounds like a combination for the perfect fart. Watch that pullback if you eat too much...oops.

Check out Eat For Your Blood Type. It will tell you what your ancestral heritage is food-wise and what your dna has evolved to best digest, even with regard to snacks.

Rode the lift today with a patroller who had a tub of cake and ice cream left over from a party. Worked for me.

Caffeine + sugar = jitters and a big crash for me, caffeine without sugar does me right.
    When life gives you haters, make haterade.