Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

$110/hr. + parts for car repair? Really?

YEah, tech talk, bitch....

I just called our local Honda dealer to get an estimate on replacing a door lock cylinder and the quote was $35 for the part and 1.5 to 2 hours of labor @ $110 per hour.

Thankfully I haven't had to do much more then regular service at home on both of our cars over the last few years and my Wife's car is still under warranty for other stuff, so I'm a little out of the loop on the average hourly rate for repair labor, but $110/hr seems a little steep even given the work was going to be done in the sacred temple of a Honda dealer's repair shop.

Just wondering what the rest of you pay on average when you can't do it yourself....
    # # #

"...You must be a big skier then." I said "no, I'm a petite size 2." Awkward silence.... - Parvo

Heard Hugh lost a testy in the tram line at Kitzbühel via altercation with the local monoboard team circa '93. Has been bitter about game theory since.- Klauss

Dude, don't go to a dealer for anything not under warranty.

Go to a small ship, ask if you can buy the part from Autozone and see if they'll install it.
    I think you have me confused with someone who is far less awesome.

learned how to do most stuff like that from a bentley manual and a yahoo group for repairs.yes,that rate is not unusual. the mechanic gets about 25%
    picador

Quote Originally Posted by gameface View Post
    Dude, don't go to a dealer for anything not under warranty...
    Yeah, thanks Captain Obvious. The car doesn't have a remote lock, but the chip in the key is tied into the ignition/security system so if I also have to replace the ignition cylinder and/or the keys I've been told it's better to have a dealer do it so that everything works together properly.

Anyways, do you have answer to the original question.... What do you pay for auto repair labor? .... or just more statements the obvious?
    # # #

"...You must be a big skier then." I said "no, I'm a petite size 2." Awkward silence.... - Parvo

Heard Hugh lost a testy in the tram line at Kitzbühel via altercation with the local monoboard team circa '93. Has been bitter about game theory since.- Klauss

$80/hr.

Anything above that and I require a happy ending from an asian sex worker.

Quote Originally Posted by sftc View Post
    Anyways, do you have answer to the original question.... What do you pay for auto repair labor? .... or just more statements the obvious?
    I don't own a car. My father was a mechanic and taught me how to fix my own cars. One time I went to the transmission shop for something but I was 21 and drunk everyday so I can't remember what I paid.
    I think you have me confused with someone who is far less awesome.

03 Honda? I was quoted $185 for parts and labor to fix it with a different key for the lock, $235 for it to work with the same key. There's a service bulletin on this (03-068) plus many Honda owner's forum threads on doing it yourself too.

yeah thats about average for a shop rate...there is a little more to the operation than paying the wrench.

Quote Originally Posted by gameface View Post
    drunk everyday so I can't remember
    I thought that was a given.

Helldawg Guest
    Unfortunately, my local grease monkey gets $90/hr. Scared to ask what the dealer wants...

I do most of my own basic maint., and just give him the big shit.

If you can't do it yourself, and are afraid to try......sounds about right.

Hugh Conway Guest
    why are you replacing the cylinder? have had problems with hondas + water into looks, extended treatment with WD40 and sunshine can help, as can redoing the key (cheaper). Course is some tweaker tried to jam it, that's different

Has Brett's gaping anus ever tried to work on a modern car door?

I think $90 is about the average for an indy shop, so yeah, $110 for a dealership sounds reasonable (which is completely fucking unreasonable). I do most of my own work, nearly everytime, but when the 2nd pair of heads blew on my old 99 Ranger, I had a buddy fix me up. He's a ASE cert'd mechanic, and runs a little side outfit out of his garage. That cost me about $30/hr, and he worked fast... meaning he didn't just charge me the shop manual estimated time, which most shops do. Basically mechanic shops are fucking rackets. They know you're usually fuct and need the work done, so gouge the shit out of you. Best you can do is 1. start getting comfortable and doing your own work, and 2. get to know a good mechanic, personally.

And door lock cylinder takes a half hour...

Quote Originally Posted by Hugh Conway View Post

Has Brett's gaping anus ever tried to work on a modern car door?
    Your Moms vadge is like a car door.....however lil bit of WD40 makes you forget that it has been test driven by all of China.

Hugh Conway Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Blurred View Post
    Your Moms vadge is like a car door.....however lil bit of WD40 makes you forget that it has been test driven by all of China.
    Just because all of china's better hung than you don't mean they can fill out a Trojan

holy fucknuts- where do you guys live?

I haven't had a vehicle in the shop in about a year, but here in Vermont, or in Massivetwoshits, I've only been charged $50-$60/hr at an independent shop.
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeStrummer
    The universe that is a vehicle is a funny and delicate thing. I fucked my wife in the back seat of our Saab in the parking lot before a Social D / Superchunk show at Red Rocks. After that the radio never worked again.

It's funny to see all you internet heroes calling him out for not doing it himself... I thought this place was full of dentists, not mechanics.

Quote Originally Posted by smmokan View Post
    It's funny to see all you internet heroes calling him out for not doing it himself... I thought this place was full of dentists, not mechanics.
    Dentists are mechanics of the mouth.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tunco perfectly summarizing TGR View Post
    It is like Days of Our Lives', but with retards.

My buddy runs his own shop. Great mechanics - I think a step above most independent shops. His rate starts at $85 or $88. I walk in the door with beer and .... treats and things go better. He knows I bring cash too.....and who doesn't like cash?

An independent shop, if they will do it, should do it properly. Just because they aren't the dealer doesn't mean they should be allowed to not finish it correctly.

I had to have something trivial on my car fixed but it required some specialized tools. I talked to the service manager at the dealer and made them an offer for about half the "book" labor.... and surprise they took it.
    Quote Originally Posted by skuba View Post
    you can let it free and be as stupid as possible

Thread Killer
    I would like to see your point of view but I can't get my head that far up your ass.

Quote Originally Posted by Poop*Ghost View Post
    $80/hr.

Anything above that and I require a happy ending from an MALE asian sex worker.
    fixed it for you.

wow, skidog - you really got me on that one. I see what you did there - you insinuated that I like MALE sex workers.

$110 an hour? That's absurd consider that the building, electricity, tools, lifts, and insurance are all provided for free.....
    All I want is to be hardcore.

www.tonystreks.com

Quote Originally Posted by hitek79 View Post
    $110 an hour? That's absurd consider that the building, electricity, tools, lifts, and insurance are all provided for free.....
    Nice try.... MECHANIC.

Seriously though - other jobs don't require rent, utils and equipment?

I honestly believe that 1/2 the reason people hate mechanics is because they charge out the ass for labor and don't get the problem fixed.

If i were to go to my local mechanic I'd pay $80/hr. I go to a retired guy who has got a lift in his shop and pay him $25/hr and bring my own parts.
    ::.:..::::.::.:.::..::.