Review: Praxis Big Mountain 120 192cm

Okay, so I know I am becoming king of the retro-review, but hey, aren't most of us buying in gear swap anyway?

Me: 5'8.5", 260lbs. Ice coast skier, racing background. Use to charge, now weekend warrior and shepherd of my 3 young kids on the hill. No hucking of consequence, dedicated bark-eater. Prefer to ski the woods whenever possible. Not much into moguls, though occasionally nostalgia sets in and I indulge a little (grew up skiing MRG).

Skis I like: Nordica Enforcer and Blower, Rossi Scratch Brigade/s5 (an exception maybe, it rewards the couch potato in me), Elan 888, Katana, Ninthward THA, Prophet 100 (see a pattern here? well....almost).

Conditions: Variable, but mostly freakin' outstanding. 10-12 of skied up, tracked out Champlain powder on refrozen granular, topped off with 4-6 of freshy fresh. Sweet snow, but underneath (if you got there) was F-I-R-M. Some windblown drifts in spots.

Tried these out as a loaner from another Mag. Mounted with LG Dukes at 109 from the tip, according to the owner. His boots are two centimeters longer than mine, so I ended up pretty forward on these. Was initially worried that might equate to trouble with the long, stiff tail. The flex on these overall is relatively stiff. Not Squad stiff, but not far off. However, I have been looking for a big, tip-rockered ski with a flat tail 190 or longer for the deepness, and this certainly looked the part. The most recent ski I have been on this size was the 196 Scott Stunt, which I liked, but is a battleship.

First part of my day was skiing with friends and our kids, ages 4-6 (four of them between the 2 families). Skied trails, found untracked and tracked out powder. My first impression was that these felt and skied really light under my feet. Quick direction changes were brainless and effortless. The rockered tips really made it amenable to rapid changes of course. It tracked beautifully, though, through anything. ran all ahead full into the biggest drifts I could find, no deflection, blew right through. Okay, now I was impressed. Time to start playing.

Started riding the very edges of the trail, lots of slarvy, squiggly turns--No prob, Bob. Even with the yards of tail behind me, they released, spun and shut down speed effortlessly. Edge grip on hard snow was plenty solid, stabiie.My friend, who just got back into skiing this year after a 20 year hiatus, had left his poles behind to help his kids on the lift, and was struggling, so I lent him mine. Skied two runs in the pow on these with no poles, never felt odd. So I started to play. Began tossing myself off of every kicker and bank I could find, like a middle school snowboarder. Unbelievable light, agile, stable and predictable on landing.

Later, got out into the woods to try some untracked. Phenomenal, and super easy to handle in trees.

In summary? Stunts are sold, am now pleading with the owner to sell these to me. Me gusta. Think you aren't man enough? fuggedabowdit these shred. My only disappointment: No longer made.
    "I know you believe you understand what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant."- Alan Greenspan

Okay, so spent 3 days in varying conditions at Solitude on these, with a more appropriate (for my BSL) mount. Short version? LUV. Big, arcing, smooth pow turns through cut up, tracked out old snow on re-frozen mank? Check. Easy slarvy, wiggly tree turns in Queen Bess? Check. Big, blasting turns through new knee-deep? Oh yeah! These were so much fun it was silly. While everyone else was whining about the snow being "heavy" (come on...really? Felt blower compared to Champlain powder), I was getting hoarse from all of my whooping down Shot 19 in Dragons and the cirque above Visitor's. Oh, and on the groomers? Once you dial in the HUDGE turn radius, they are totally game for big, fast super-g turns. Rock solid and stable, no shimmy, super smooth and planky-fast. Even at Solitude, I almost wanted more hill....Hahnenkamm, anyone? Paging Daron...your boutique ride is here.

Complaints? None. Dunno about everyone else, but these were definitely NOT too stiff, at least for my tonnage. The tip rocker is pretty minimal on these. Maybe it helped, maybe it didn't. Might be nice to have a hair more tip rocker, or just slightly softer flex in the very tip, but that is REALLY splitting hairs. I never felt like I didn't have enough float. Granted, they are 120 underfoot and 192cm long. Anywho, I am acquiring these from their previous owner, may he be blessed with endless powder and bluebird days forever. Keith, any chance of a revival on these? Such a shame there aren't more out there. C'mon all, get on it!
    "I know you believe you understand what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant."- Alan Greenspan

Yes please bring these back Keith. I busted the edge out of mine. Glued them about 5 times, but have had to give up now. The best skis I have ever owned.

I ski on Katanas, good skier, like to ski narrow chutes. How would those skis compare to the Katanas?

Stiffer, more powerful. Still maneuverable, but a more snappy, burly feel than the katana. Katana feels smoother, easier to push around, but not as strong in thicker, more variable snow. BMs are light, for their size, so easy to bring around quickly in chutes for their girth and flex. If you want more power than your Katana, this is a nice way to get it without going to a really heavy, more unwieldy ride. My $.02