Truck toppers and trailer hitches in Denver-ish area

Saw some old somewhat on-topic threads, but they were old. And most of them were about which specific topper to get, I'm wondering where to go to buy it.

Just got a new-to-me truck (2007 Frontier Crew Cab) and it needs a topper. I know I want fiberglass, I'd like a little rise to it, don't mind buying used/2ds if it saves me cash. Got my last topper at S-Cargo in Loveland, but want to shop around.

Also need a trailer hitch installed (for a hitch mount bike rack). How much will that run me?

Recommendations of where to go for either of these (perhaps one place that does both)?
    Last edited by Danno; 02-26-2011 at 11:18 PM.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

I am not sure on the topper question, but 5-R in Golden, on Colfax, just west of 70 would be my first call for both, especially the hitch. They are fair priced, and the only people I would consider for hitch-work/making a truck ready to haul/pull (which I realize you may not be looking for). I bet if they don't sell toppers, they could point you in the right direction. Happy shopping.
    Quote Originally Posted by RockBoy View Post
    The wife's not gonna be happy when she sees a few dollars missing from the savings and a note on the door that reads, "Gone to AK for the week. Remember to walk the dog."
    Quote Originally Posted by kannonbal View Post
    Damn it. You never get a powder day you didn't ski back. The one time you blow off a day, or a season, it will be the one time it is the miracle of all history. The indescribable flow, the irreplaceable nowness, the transcendental dance; blink and you miss it.
    Some people blink their whole lives.

Gman is online now Mack Master William Large
    check out uhaul for the hitch. They have installed a couple hitches for me and they work great for a bike rack.

I bought the topper for my'98 Dakota from Suburban Toppers, it is located about Colfax and Colorado. Price was good, and the staff was nice. Not sure if they carry hitches.

Also had good luck at Suburban. Might check cl too. Have you thought of a wildernest or a flipack?

Congrats. I know you have wanted that truck for a long time.

Thanks, C. Yeah, been checking CL a bit, no luck. I have thought of those, but they're not easy to find, and given the new family situation, they don't fit the need as much. May ultimately get a small camper trailer to better handle the family camping, but a regular topper is all I need (for transporting dogs and me on the occasional hall pass camping trip).
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Check out A & A toppers they have two locations one on colfax and the other is on south broadway, I sold my old topper through them and bought the new one.

did some shopping around. Seems like the ARE MX or the Snugtop Hi-Liner or the Leer 180 are the choices. The ARE comes with the best price, then the Leer (+$40) then the Snug (+150).

Close to pulling the trigger on the ARE (from Suburban toppers) unless anyone has good reasons to do otherwise.

Any reason not to go with the 122 or TW? That little bit more room and small window make a huge difference.

Just make sure whichever one you get, that it has 2 locks, not just one center handle.

Not sure if all the models on the website come in my truck, the MX and the 180 are what they priced me when I said I wanted a hi-rise topper for my truck. The little bit more room is really just a little bit, 3" or less. Why 2 locks?

Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post
    Why 2 locks?
    I can get into a topper with one central lock in a minute or two. Two is still pretty easy, but it's better than one, and you can modify them with a bar and a real lock if you are looking for more than just the appearance of security.

Another cap option you might enjoy is the insulated/carpeted roof. Really helps with condensation issues, plus velcro sticks to it really well, which is super handy.

Definitely going with the carpeted interior. As for the one versus 2, I am pretty used to dealing with a one lock topper, I know that my shit is not secure in there. A new topper with a new (even single) lock will be way more secure than what I have now. And as you say, 2 is still easy. So I will still just operate under the assumption that my shit's not really secure in the topper, period.

I am planning to build a platform in the back. And the nissan has a locking tailgate. So that combo will add a lot to security, at least as to stuff under the platform. The only problem is my utter lack of carpentry skills!

Danno - do you have the util-track in the back of the nissan? If so there is a simple way to build a platform. I can provide more details if needed.

I had good service at A&A....

Also- id reccomend building the platform before the topper install- way easier to work in with out it on. Just be mindful of where the brackets will be.
    let your tracks be lost in the dark and snow

gorms, it does have the utili-track, and yeah, I'd be interested in more details. But it's going to have to come after the topper. And I'm planning on a platform that I can remove without a huge amount of difficulty, at least that's what I'm thinking now.

Danno- check PMs.
    let your tracks be lost in the dark and snow

Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post
    did some shopping around. Seems like the ARE MX or the Snugtop Hi-Liner or the Leer 180 are the choices. The ARE comes with the best price, then the Leer (+$40) then the Snug (+150).

Close to pulling the trigger on the ARE (from Suburban toppers) unless anyone has good reasons to do otherwise.
    Pulled the trigger and ordered from Suburban. Damn that's a lot of money. Hope that my old truck sells soon so I have the money to pay for it!

Picture of topper on truck, looks good!

That's pretty slick Danno! I like the taller topper too. It'll be great to have the extra headroom back there.

I was inches from trading my Xterra for a 4 door Frontier. But then I did some measuring and realized that I wouldn't have been able to get the Frontier into my garage because it's several inches longer than the Xterra and I only have about 2 inches of clearance between the back bumper and the garage door when I pull all the way in.
    Brandine: Now Cletus, if I catch you with pig lipstick on your collar one more time you ain't gonna be allowed to sleep in the barn no more!
    Cletus: Duly noted.

Thanks! Yeah, it's a long truck, a full 3' longer than my previous one.

FWIW, I find that a couple of carseats mounted in the backseat gives mine a particularly badass look. You getting that vibe yet?

Are you parked in front of "No Parking" sign in that pic?
    Brandine: Now Cletus, if I catch you with pig lipstick on your collar one more time you ain't gonna be allowed to sleep in the barn no more!
    Cletus: Duly noted.

Well, just one car seat doesn't quite bring me up to par. But with the darkly tinted windows, you can't really see it.

The arrow on the parking sign points the other way, it was legal parking.

If you are even marginally handy (or not retarded) hithches are really easy to do yourself (especially if you are just using it for a bike rack i.e. no light wiring) I've done a bunch of them, you can buy them here. http://www.etrailer.com/
    "Last one to the bottom is a Coward"