Page 633 of 820 FirstFirst ... 628 629 630 631 632 633 634 635 636 637 638 ... LastLast
Results 15,801 to 15,825 of 20494
    skinning on a piste, a slightly amusing topic indeed that i don't claim to fully understand ... i guess we're all agreeing that the resorts should make a reasonable effort to communicate blasting etc (Nordkette at least used to be quite bad with all things relating to communication), after that the blame is on the joggers

Pretty wild week ahead in the alps until the 5th of January.
    Roller coaster freezing levels and absurd amounts of precipitation coming up in the western alps.
    2m of fresh above 2000m? With neat hurricane force winds at times. Seems interesting to say the least.
    Between 1200 and 1500m the fresh and the melting will probably not change much depending on how far interior you are. Below that the rain will hurt I guess...

Sent from my BLA-L29 using TGR Forums mobile app
    It's a war of the mind and we're armed to the teeth.

Quote Originally Posted by subtle plague View Post
    Pretty wild week ahead in the alps until the 5th of January.
    Not had much time to hang out on the internet I'm afraid (still wrist-deep in nappies and scraping congealed porridge from various surfaces and orifices, and desperately trying to use whatever non-family time I get to go skiing), but I had to stop by to see what people were saying about the weather we're going to be having... it's gonna be a spicy week, that's for sure!

I just toured up to 1800m on my bomb-proof trail through the forest, trying to race the rain/snowline as it crept up the valley behind us... I heard a hell of a lot of big slides in the high mountains above us, and had great fun releasing some proto-slides on small faces (boulders, tree clearings, etc) by pole whacking, sneezing at them, harsh language, etc. Active as fuck up there. I'm definitely not going anywhere exciting for a fair while.
    Short stories about snow and rock, and pictures, too

Quote Originally Posted by peds View Post
    Not had much time to hang out on the internet I'm afraid (still wrist-deep in nappies and scraping congealed porridge from various surfaces and orifices, and desperately trying to use whatever non-family time I get to go skiing), but I had to stop by to see what people were saying about the weather we're going to be having... it's gonna be a spicy week, that's for sure!

I just toured up to 1800m on my bomb-proof trail through the forest, trying to race the rain/snowline as it crept up the valley behind us... I heard a hell of a lot of big slides in the high mountains above us, and had great fun releasing some proto-slides on small faces (boulders, tree clearings, etc) by pole whacking, sneezing at them, harsh language, etc. Active as fuck up there. I'm definitely not going anywhere exciting for a fair while.
    having a baby it's horrible but amazing all in the same breath. how you coping with sleep deprivation?

Sent from my SM-G930F using TGR Forums mobile app
    i dont kare i carnt spell or youse punktuation properlee, im on a skiing forum

Quote Originally Posted by Rossymcg View Post
    having a baby it's horrible but amazing all in the same breath. how you coping with sleep deprivation?
    By convincing myself that sleep is for the weak, and that tears of exhaustion are the reward for a job, if not done well, then at least done.

By convincing myself that sleep is for the weak, and that tears of exhaustion are the reward for a job, if not done well, then at least done.
    keep up the good work then Peds

Haha, we're just at the point where the kids can take care of themselves for the most part and are beginning to be fun to take skiing (5 and 7), and now number three is incoming in the next few weeks... Thanks for the reminder.

Sent from my SM-G900F using TGR Forums mobile app
    simen@downskis.com DOWN SKIS

Quote Originally Posted by SiSt View Post
    Haha, we're just at the point where the kids can take care of themselves for the most part and are beginning to be fun to take skiing (5 and 7), and now number three is incoming in the next few weeks... Thanks for the reminder.

mine are 3 and 1. It seems like it will be forever till they can take care of themselves. I don't remember the last time I woke up feeling refreshed. good luck with number 3, boy or a girl coming down the chute?

mine are 3 and 1. It seems like it will be forever till they can take care of themselves. I don't remember the last time I woke up feeling refreshed. good luck with number 3, boy or a girl coming down the chute?

Boy number three. He'll have no choice when it comes to sports and gear, but he's well covered for most activities already. 😂

simen@downskis.com DOWN SKIS

you'll have to keep going to give your wife a daughter.

Heh. I have two days so far in the middle of the best early season in years. My 7 month old is fairly manageable, but still.
    I had the brilliant idea to buy a house and move in one week before Christmas while everybody skies waist deep powder. File under unsmart decision. My parental leave starts on Jan 14th. so you guys know when the snow will stop falling [antijinx] .

Quote Originally Posted by subtle plague View Post
    Heh. I have two days so far in the middle of the best early season in years. My 7 month old is fairly manageable, but still.
    I had the brilliant idea to buy a house and move in one week before Christmas while everybody skies waist deep powder. File under unsmart decision. My parental leave starts on Jan 14th. so you guys know when the snow will stop falling [antijinx] .
    12c at 1000m in Cham right now
    #1 goal this year......stay alive +
    DOWN SKIS

keep up the good work then Peds
    Cheers Rossy! It's a hell of a trip, but it's a great one to be on.

Quote Originally Posted by SiSt View Post
    Haha, we're just at the point where the kids can take care of themselves (5 and 7)
    I love this schedule

For those interested, here are a couple of short films documenting my daughter's first and third ski tours.
    First, on the Vormaine slopes at Le Tour: https://www.instagram.com/p/BcXZjwvliOv/
    Third, on the Poya slopes at Le Buet: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pXfdueEl-fs

In weather-related news here in Cham, the great floods have arrived and several roads down in town are now under a foot of water. There are abandoned cars, people blocked in, gendarmes standing around chuckling. Airport transfers are haphazard, occasionally non-existent. The zero degree isotherme is heading up to around 3300m today with a great big blue sky, so all of the visible south-facing slopes in the valley are going to be shitting their loads early this afternoon. I'm staying indoors today, mostly.

(Here's a video of Chamonix late last night: https://www.facebook.com/stephane.ro...12844802168306)

Cheers Rossy! It's a hell of a trip, but it's a great one to be on.

I love this schedule

For those interested, here are a couple of short films documenting my daughter's first and third ski tours.
    First, on the Vormaine slopes at Le Tour: https://www.instagram.com/p/BcXZjwvliOv/
    Third, on the Poya slopes at Le Buet: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pXfdueEl-fs

In weather-related news here in Cham, the great floods have arrived and several roads down in town are now under a foot of water. There are abandoned cars, people blocked in, gendarmes standing around chuckling. Airport transfers are haphazard, occasionally non-existent. The zero degree isotherme is heading up to around 3300m today with a great big blue sky, so all of the visible south-facing slopes in the valley are going to be shitting their loads early this afternoon. I'm staying indoors today, mostly.

(Here's a video of Chamonix late last night: https://www.facebook.com/stephane.ro...12844802168306)
    very cool. she looks content enough tucked up in there. dog looks like it's enjoying it's self as well. my eldest daughter now 3, had skis on for the 1st time last year when she was 2. we put her in a kiddy ski school in Zakopane. I didn't want to go off and ski myself as per the plan, It was melting my heart just watching her get to grips with it all learning to use the drag and play the ski related games.

very cool. she looks content enough tucked up in there. dog looks like it's enjoying it's self as well. my eldest daughter now 3, had skis on for the 1st time last year when she was 2. we put her in a kiddy ski school in Zakopane. I didn't want to go off and ski myself as per the plan, It was melting my heart just watching her get to grips with it all learning to use the drag and play the ski related games.
    The dog is a better skier than most skiers. He's a bit of a local celebrity, I have strangers come up to us in the street saying "Ahh, this is Baldric, I've heard so much about him!"
    Like all pro athletes, he has an instragram page.

That's cool about your daughter, I completely understand about the choice not to go skiing. Just watching them learn new stuff is a bigger thrill than any line I've ever skied, I can't wait until my daughter is old enough to get on her first planks.

Having missed the main powder day on Friday while flying back to Austria from Christmas in the UK, I met up with Dulcerama yesterday to explore somewhere new (to us) and off the beaten track.

Initially conditions weren't too inspiring, but we managed to scratch out a few fun turns in fresh snow amongst the crud and crust in the more obvious offpiste areas. It was only later that we found the real goods, and some genuinely awesome tree skiing - and then the light snowfall turned to rain all the way to the top (1800m), which turned the snow to super sticky clag much quicker than seemed reasonable, so we called it a day.

Definitely an area to come back to during the next storm though!

Some photos, not of the good stuff

Also, happy New Year everyone (guten rutsch is certainly appropriate!), and congrats SiSt!
    Last edited by ClarkleberryFinn; 01-01-2018 at 09:57 AM.

cheers valais people. we wont make it down to you guys. Still so much House stuff to do. I may get out tomorrow and on the cold window on the 4th.
    enjoy the megadump and stay safe, and stay inside the valais for the best powder. Prealps/North side will see Rain up to 2000m in between.

It Should stay colder than 2 days ago. I Know where I'd go. If something opens with those hurricane winds.

Only 20cm overnight but so much fun in Bruson today and then down to Chamoille...
    https://youtu.be/YvuruzBByJg

Quote Originally Posted by bobinch View Post
    Only 20cm overnight but so much fun in Bruson today and then down to Chamoille...
    https://youtu.be/YvuruzBByJg
    very nice bobinch, where you from in the UK

Second day with virtually no lifts open in entire Tarentaise Valley (Tignes, Val D’Isere, Les Arcs etc). Even Sainte Foy only had one lift open. It is pouring rain from 2000m down but meant to be over a metre of new snow above that - some say 150cm. But all out of reach!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by gobblehoof View Post
    Second day with virtually no lifts open in entire Tarentaise Valley (Tignes, Val D’Isere, Les Arcs etc). Even Sainte Foy only had one lift open. It is pouring rain from 2000m down but meant to be over a metre of new snow above that - some say 150cm. But all out of reach!!!!
    stay out the new snow man. it's at number 5 on the avi scale

I'm taking a look tomorrow. I don't expect big lifts to open.

Hell, I'd be surprised if ANYTHING opens. Fingers crossed!

Skipass has a roundup of pics and videos from France and Switzerland. Chaos has a name : Eleanor.

From radio Val d'Isère, Laisinant chairlift with a hundred trees down.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	7268.jpg 
Views:	95 
Size:	161.9 KB 
ID:	220568
    "Typically euro, french in particular, in my opinion. It's the same skiing or climbing there. They are completely unfazed by their own assholeness. Like it's normal." - srsosbso

Incoming Fete de Merde & Arschloch auf Skis Jan. 11 - 26 with an agenda something like:
    Jan 13 ?
    Jan 14 - 19 La Grave
    Jan 20-22 Engelberg
    Jan 23-25 Andermatt

Any of you Yurok00ks want to meet and ski, BBI style, ping or post. See sirarcsalot.
    Merde De Glace On the Freak When Ski
    >>>200 cm Black Bamboo Sidewalled DPS Lotus 120 : Best Skis Ever <<<