Page 248 of 813 FirstFirst ... 243 244 245 246 247 248 249 250 251 252 253 ... LastLast
Results 6,176 to 6,200 of 20314

Serious Skiing in Arlberg, 23-25 March 2009

Hello,

am hoping to get in some big mountain skiing in Zurs-Lech on Mon-Wed next week but it seems my adventuring partner has just dropped out. Am gutted but am wondering if anyone else might be up for it.

Would be good if you were handy with a camera as I'm keen on filming what we get up to. Just to clarify, about 35cms / 1ft of snow is forecast for those days.

I've got touring gear, and am up for skinning for big lines, but am definitely descent focussed. If you'd like to see the kinds of things I have in mind, see:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s0fgporV5gY
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aj3zNma8FMs
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mkNi9ieKSmM
    - I'm the guy in the blue jacket throughout.

if you're up for it, please send me a text any time until Wednesday:
    +352 691 148 314

Btw, I speak English, French and a bluffers German, if it helps..

Thanks,

Peter MacKenzie (a Scotsman)

Keep bringing the awesomeness

Gone fishing

Quote Originally Posted by verbier61 View Post
    maggot mini on etna volcano!!! april 4-5!!!!
    Not sure if I can pull it off... logistics are looking a bit too logistical for a super-flight action from the UK.

Definitely an Alps adventure planned...
    Putting the "core" in corporate, one turn at a time.

Metalmücil 2010 - 2013 "Go Home" album is now a free download

The Bonin Petrels

No Extreme tomorrow, athletes too drunk. Beer availble afternoon.

Extreme Sunday, work all day
    i wish i never chose that user_name

Whitedot Freeride

Quote Originally Posted by Sparky View Post
    Keep bringing the awesomeness

Awesome session, awesome terrain

About 60cm of freshies (according to the regional avalanche warning service) at the Eastern fringes of the Alps = good start into the (astronomical) spring

Yes, snowbase is acceptable (Niederalpl, 1220m, North-eastern Styria, AT)

O.k., it's just mellow terrain but you take what you get ...

Snow was fluffy ...

Good snow base + new powder + trees = fun

Looking back from the plains south of Vienna - Hungary is just around the corner

I'll be heading to the Alps this weekend with irbis and mrs horizon - getting there Fri morning and staying until Sun or Mon close of lifts.

He's flying, most likely to Geneva, and I'm driving.

We haven't decided where to go yet. Any mags want to hook up and if so where?

(Outside chance that irbis will fly to Munich and we would end up in St Anton if anyone else is around).
    You really need to stop knowing WTF you're talking about. (Tippster)

God I could kick myself in the head after seeing those pics cramp. Thanks a bunch

I'm in St. Anton all week, anyone else here??
    Skiah for life

Quote Originally Posted by Tectonically_Neglected View Post
    God I could kick myself in the head after seeing those pics cramp. Thanks a bunch
    Did you cancel your planned Tauplitz-trip? In this case you have a second chance: there is a new dump in sight next week. It may be even bigger than this last one!

Quote Originally Posted by horizon View Post
    I'll be heading to the Alps this weekend with irbis and mrs horizon - getting there Fri morning and staying until Sun or Mon close of lifts.

(Outside chance that irbis will fly to Munich and we would end up in St Anton if anyone else is around).
    geo and i will be taking off friday skiing all weekend. won't know where until thurs eve or possibly fri morning. as the fcast look now, we won't be travelling very far, looking good for our local area (alpes vaudiose & valais), some 50cms or so by friday. but if you are thinking stanton, there is almost 80cms on the forecast by friday.

Should be arriving Friday morning and staying until close of lifts on Sunday or Monday night depending on the weather - destination tbc. I think Paeddee wants to ride over the weekend too.
    Is it still supposed to get warm (freezing level 2300m) over the weekend?

nice edition of the Xtreme. Ducroz was in ubershape and unstoppable. Phil m., despite the age, made a very nice backflip. sadly he loose one ski and the chance for the podium, but IMVHO he's still the classiest (as it is for steve klassen for the boarders...)

Pirin mountains got burried under a meter and a half of powder this weekend. This is Bansko ( ~900 m attitude) on Saturday:

my friends, who were lucky to be healthy and in Pirin had a day of bottomless powder on the slopes there:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QwoBv...layer_embedded
    they shut down the whole resort on Sunday due to avalanche danger .. noone's prepared to groom slopes in such epic conditions here in Bulgaria..

So who and where on Friday and the weekend?
    Should arrive Thursday night - at this stage no destination yet confirmed.
    Paedde will be joining in for some riding on Sat and Sunday.

BTW; gone from blue skies this morning to dumping big, fat flakes here today.

Quote Originally Posted by Incompetent Boob View Post
    So who and where on Friday and the weekend?
    same plan for us. probly alpes vaudiose on fri and valais sat-sun.

the fcast shifted a bit. looks like some significant dumpage for the valais after friday!

^^ but the snowfall-level seems to be a bit to high (maybe...) hmmm.
    think i'll sty wed/thursday in central switz or somewhere to arlberg.

Irbis and I just confirmed accommodation in St Anton for Fri-Mon - now let's hope the promised snow materialises...
    You really need to stop knowing WTF you're talking about. (Tippster)

^^marius i have no idea what you are looking but it doesn't look significantly different between CH and AT for the weekend. it ain't worth my time driving 3-6hours for an extra couple hundred meters of snow line, if that.
    Last edited by Ripzalot; 03-24-2009 at 06:38 AM.

30+ cm of new snow but this resort can't or won't open even one lift today because Mickey and his mice can't get to work to run the lifts.....?? They list the Avy danger as 2; the winds are not that high (that's their normal excuse for not spending any money to open lifts here in Crans Montana....)?? The area is "open" until April 19th....Now I understand why Crans is normally a very quiet place….

It should be open tomorrow...

Oh well, I can get to Zermatt in less than 1.5 hours for my day off on Thursday, and it took only 1.5 hours to get to Chamonix last week. So, I guess it's still a nice view from here this time of year.
    Last edited by jwolter7; 03-24-2009 at 04:29 AM.

I like the sound of dumpage in the valais after friday. I'll be in Bettmeralp.

Homemadesalsa and I are in Chamoknee starting Sat for a week plus. Then we're thinking touring in the Valais (Arolla, Wildstreubel area?) and the Val D'Aosta (Gran Paradiso, Mt. Rosa area, Mt. Gele?). Anyone looking for partners feel free to PM or post here, will be checking in every so often as access permits. We'll have a decent glacier travel kit.

Looking at the weather, it looks like 4 distinct waves (http://www.ready.noaa.gov/ready-bin/...anel2&nplts=31 to hit the area between now and Saturday, maybe clearing around Sunday. Slowly warming temps I'm thinking means rising rain/snow line. Any suggestions for Cham powder skiing when it's raining in the valley?

Pyrenees - mid-March

Ok, it took a couple of weeks, but a pic from the pic

nice^^

Ich bitte dich nur, weck mich nicht.

Another shorter line we did, entered from the left. Was really icy in the morning. Came back in the afternoon and had interesting snow up top before some really nice turns - just watch out for the sharks starting to poke through everywhere.
    Plus a bonus scenic.