Page 317 of 821 FirstFirst ... 312 313 314 315 316 317 318 319 320 321 322 ... LastLast
Results 7,901 to 7,925 of 20518
    Quote Originally Posted by Ripzalot View Post
    the name slips my mind but geo was telling me about it a while back. in aosta valley closeby. pm geo039 (he's away this week). we were talking about going this summer, perhaps we could arrange a meetup.
    I think it's Pila: http://www.pila.it/standard.asp?l=e&id=30&s=e

We're arriving on Saturday, August 28 and will depart on Friday, September 3. Would be great to meet up!
    Ein Berg ohne Absturzgefahr ist nur noch Attrappe. (Reinhold Messner)

verb or bruson too..............

the front did disappoint... well well...

I maybe coming down sunday. depending what tomorrow will bring to the west.
    It's a war of the mind and we're armed to the teeth.

20cm fell in the space of about 70 minutes today here in val d'isere, then it went blue. light snow and bulletproof underneath. once the snow gets a bit heavier it might be smoother. calling 30-40cm more falling tomorrow night.
    Today ridicule, tomorrow really cool.

http://www.left-collective.com/
    FOLLOW YOUR OWN WAY

Quote Originally Posted by Franz Klammer View Post
    Please suggest some good guidebooks in English that describe
    a) climbing topos
    b) hiking routes and
    c) general culture

near (i) Courmayeur, (ii) Chamonix and maybe the (iii) Gran Paradiso region?
    I guess there should be quite some books around describing the hiking route "Tour de MontBlanc" which circumvents the whole MontBlanc range on more or less easy hiking trails. (sry, I do not have any details and/or correct references at hand).

There is a hiking book (describing some hikes around Chamonix) in German by Rother Verlag, Munich (it's some of these little red pocket books).

Concerning crag climbing down in the valley: Francois Burnier / Dominique Potard: Crag Climbs in Chamonix. vamos guide. (available virtually everywhere in chamonix).

Easy mountain tours (including glaciers): Francois Burnier / Dominique Potard: Easy ascents in the Mont-Blanc range. vamos guide.

A small collection of some classic, intermediate to difficult route (mostly AD and D):

Jean-Louis Laroche - Florence LeLong (2007): The Mont Blanc Range. Classic Snow, Ice and Mixed Climbs. Baton Wicks, London and Menasha Ridge Press, Birmingham, Alabama.

10-20cm at grand montets, not many people out, turned into a fun day once the sun came out in the afternoon. The bottom section is pretty tracked now. The upper lifts did not open.

Quote Originally Posted by Schnappi View Post
    Will prolly be in Andermatt. But could go hit Disentis depending on weather.
    Looking for riding partners - PM sent

Quote Originally Posted by JoeStrummer View Post
    I will be about, depending on snow. Send me a PM if you're going to be around, I'm staying in St Jakob for a few days next weekend.
    Joe and Chowdah:

I'll be in St. Anton Friday through Monday. There's not a lot of skiing going to go on, though. A little over thirty people now showing up for four days of absolute shitshow drinking at the Mooserwirt, etc. We will be very easy to find on Sunday. Look for six or seven people in full pink bunny suits skiing and dancing on the balcony of the Mooserwirt.

Last year there was also a Jesus.

Anyone got any reports from today's snow fall? Considering whether to head to the Valais (probably Verbier), otherwise Chamonix looks quite tempting..

If anyone wants to hook up, I'd be more than happy to have a ski partner or two...especially if someone knows Cham really well!!

Quote Originally Posted by SwissBushwacker View Post
    Anyone got any reports from today's snow fall? Considering whether to head to the Valais (probably Verbier), otherwise Chamonix looks quite tempting..

If anyone wants to hook up, I'd be more than happy to have a ski partner or two...especially if someone knows Cham really well!!
    The avalanche risk at Cham right now is 4/5, and the bochard gondola and grand montets tram were closed today due to bad weather. It seems with the weather tonight and the avalanche risk that they may not open even tomorrow, but I could be wrong.

I wasn't at either cham or verbier today, but I was in Saas Fee. About 30 cm of new snow there, but a lot of it got crusty due to the bright sun. I'd bet that either Verbier or Chamonix will be about the same by tomorrow with the new snowfall, but maybe without the melting as it is not really supposed to be sunny. I say go for it, take advantage of winter before it is gone till next year.

Extra: I would be a bit wary of any offpiste at cham though considering that the avalanche danger there is at 4/5 right now.

Quote Originally Posted by Orash111 View Post
    ...but I could be wrong.
    yup. Skied a bunch of runs on the Bochard yesterday morning. Grand Montets tram was closed. Avy risk is 4; pay attention. Cham avy report
    Last edited by jumpturn; 03-27-2010 at 10:43 PM.

Some pics here http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=63332

Superb conditions up high in Verbier yesterday. Looks like another 15cm fell overnight and hopefully the sun will shine high up today.

I think Chamonix got a bit more snow but also more wind. Coming over tomorrow for a look.

Quote Originally Posted by Orash111 View Post
    I wasn't at either cham or verbier today, but I was in Saas Fee. About 30 cm of new snow there, but a lot of it got crusty due to the bright sun.
    the crusty mank got replaced with about 10cms of freshies overnight and the cloud cover kept the snow fresh all day today. today was pretty fun too.

saturday

sunday

Andermatt got about 40cm up top, 20cm at the village on Friday night, but with wind. Sat was bluebird for most of the day, and some fun was had.
    We got a top up of around 10-15 up top Sat night, and it was also not bad today.

I had a mixed day though - some really nice powder turns this morning mixed in with a destroyed board (edge compression + blow-out ). Got flashed by a camera on the Swiss autobahn on the way home (~15km over in a German rental car, anyone have an idea of a) if it'll get back to me and b) what it will cost if it does?). Got back to Munich to catch my train home to realise I was an hour late, thanks summer-time.

BTW, saw a guy with a change for a nickel sticker on the back of his helmet and a freeskiers.net sticker on the front - who was that? I didn't get the chance to say hello.

Noice work boys!
    Quote Originally Posted by Ripzalot View Post
    sunday
    #1 goal this year......stay alive +
    DOWN SKIS

Quote Originally Posted by Incompetent Boob View Post
    BTW, saw a guy with a change for a nickel sticker on the back of his helmet and a freeskiers.net sticker on the front - who was that? I didn't get the chance to say hello.
    In all the excitement of the return to winter, I forgot to take down your mobile number.

Did he look like this guy?

Unlike that "change for a nickle" guy, klar just skis in the shadow.

But at least makes the sluff look good.

It's almost as good as Keystone.

Got flashed by a camera on the Swiss autobahn on the way home (~15km over in a German rental car, anyone have an idea of a) if it'll get back to me and b) what it will cost if it does?).
    You'll probably get it in the mail in a few weeks. I received one on Friday from Basel for 119 in a 100 zone.... 120 CHF.

La Grave on Friday

Quote Originally Posted by patxi View Post
    You'll probably get it in the mail in a few weeks. I received one on Friday from Basel for 119 in a 100 zone.... 120 CHF.
    Expensive weekend in the end. At least I don't get hit with the points as well, right?

Schappi - no worries, I found my way around pretty well. Lots of obvious things to ride there. Still found myself in a couple of interesting spots

Ripz - looks good, but glad I didn't try to drive all that way - wouldn't have made it.

one of the deepest days of the season in tignes today. opened all 5 of the fingers today [CLAIM!]... gotta love changeover day! skiing with 2 members of freeride rockstar royalty [EVEN BIGGER CLAIM!!] didn't suck either...

unfortunately a function of the latter was that 130% concentration and commitment was required to keep up, so no photos unfortunately. you'll just have to take my word, if if not i call TCK to the stand as the only other maggot witness/participant. more on the way midweek it seems... 11th hour, in the nick of time. is there such thing as an indian winter?
    Today ridicule, tomorrow really cool.

http://www.left-collective.com/
    FOLLOW YOUR OWN WAY

Between a rock and a soft place. Aberdare and The Brecon Beacons, Wales
    Yes. In Manali. And Gulmarg alegedly

First, I'd like to take this opportunity to say how much of a love/hate relationship I'm developing with this thread...

Secondly,

Got flashed by a camera on the Swiss autobahn on the way home (~15km over in a German rental car, anyone have an idea of a) if it'll get back to me and b) what it will cost if it does?). Got back to Munich to catch my train home to realise I was an hour late, thanks summer-time.
    (a) You can be certain that it'll get back to you, most likely they'll just charge the credit card you rented the car with. If you really want to have fun communicating via registered mail with the Swiss consulate in your country, have your credit card deny the charge. (b) My guess: 60--120 SFr.

cheers,
    john

Got back to Munich to catch my train home to realise I was an hour late, thanks summer-time.
    yeah, we got caught off by the time change too. i thought i was doing good catching breakfast at 7.30 sharp and at the lift by 8.30....umm make that 9.30. doh. at least it wasn't crowded.

sorry about the board (and ticket). i got spares if you come back this way.