Page 578 of 821 FirstFirst ... 573 574 575 576 577 578 579 580 581 582 583 ... LastLast
Results 14,426 to 14,450 of 20521
    Quote Originally Posted by twann74 View Post
    The Brevent/Flegere area was great yesterday. Spring skiing below 2200m, and wind-affected snow at the top.
    Same today!
    Quote Originally Posted by blurred
    skiing is hiking all day so that you can ski on shitty gear for 5 minutes.

The levitating dog doesn't always levitate...

Short stories about snow and rock, and pictures, too

Quote Originally Posted by coldwater View Post
    About 20cms to play with in the trees in Montafon before work this morning, and it's still dumping hard. Super high winds even in normally fairly protected spots down in the valley though.

Snowed all day on Thursday and I must say Montafon delivered hudge. Austria day 1 was amazeballs. Was still getting untracked tree lines at 15:30.

Some lovely bluebird pow after the storm and now it's shmoo and spring.

Open Faces free ride contest on Saturday was great too, awesome conditions and a super gnarly venue.
    Quote Originally Posted by iceman View Post
    This is kinda like the goose that laid the golden egg, but shittier.

Andermatt has been good times the past three days. Plenty of tasty sun slush turns to be found in the off piste and snowpack seems to be stabilizing as well, with only minor sluffage on southern aspects. Looking for a touring partner for tomorrow or the next day here. Also looking for touring partner for wherever is good in Austria later this week!

Glarnerland on Saturday was nice, with about 20 - 30 cm of powder on a nicely settled base:
    (as long as you did not venture into the steep, cross loaded gullys)

Quote Originally Posted by j,the snowboarder View Post
    I´ve been in LG for a few weeks, I bought a month ticket which is valid until 24.3, after that I'll see what to do, I'm holiday until 7.4 +- one week. The current accommodation I have is only until 12.3, which after I might just go somewhere else for a few days, there was some snow for Italy in the forecast, but it seemed to disappear.. Conditions were good until last weekend, then there was some rain/snow + heavy winds. The last two days have been quite warm. Road runs are nogo at the moment, though somebody tried Chirouze droite today and took a heliride off. Seemed to be from the place where one can go around the rappel on good conditions..

The weather forecast looks pretty bad :/ The road runs are going to kill your gear after the heat wave. Pan de Rideau is in quite a poor condition, the traverse is ok, but the glacier is in very bad shape compared to last year.
    Hmmm, that doesn't sound reassuring. I was planning on skiing a lot more at Serre Che than LG if that makes a difference, but should I really brace myself for such crappy snow? I spoke to a guy I know over there (Skierslodge Pelle) a few weeks ago and he sounded pretty upbeat. If it's just road runs that suck (so skiing P2 or whatever is still OK) I'll be happy. But I hope it doesn't all suck. Obviously.
    [quote][//quote]

Quote Originally Posted by peds View Post
    The levitating dog doesn't always levitate...

OMG.

Pretty good snow around here this weekend but pretty sketchy.
    bild2 by klar01, on Flickr

IMG_7363sml by klar01, on Flickr

oh, and iridepow, do you recognize this ambitious felllow who overdid the skiing-with-skins thing a little?
    IMG_7380 by klar01, on Flickr
    Ich bitte dich nur, weck mich nicht.

^^^^ is that Manu?
    Usually more the guy for the long turns and not the wedel.

Quote Originally Posted by Tryingtostaywarm View Post
    Love for the Tatras. ~50cm of fresh. Turned to a bluebird day.

That is an awesome mountain range. Where were you skiing in there?

Fun times touring around and enjoying the sun in the Vaud Alps on Saturday. Super hot, but still some nice dry snow on northerly aspects.

Oh, and who says you can't get playful when snowboarding in hardboots. Phantom bindings FTW

Maybe one of these days I will find some time to put together an edit with all the footage from this winter.

i had a really nice weekend and finally was able to ski the line in Ticino I've been eyeing since last season. when we found the entrance from the other side the snow turned out to be crap. oh well It's always fun to ski a 42-45 degree couloir in hardpack conditions. I may post pictures later.

But I had a nice lift assisted powder Saturday which I had never skied before as well with Pow down to 1200m.

the future looks pretty bleak though...
    It's a war of the mind and we're armed to the teeth.

Quote Originally Posted by IridePow View Post
    ^^^^ is that Manu?
    Usually more the guy for the long turns and not the wedel.
    the Wedel was because he had skins on. He got himself a bloody nose in one of those long turns later...
    Ich bitte dich nur, weck mich nicht.

Anyone skiing Verbf tomorrow or the next day want to meet up?
    Quote Originally Posted by blurred
    skiing is hiking all day so that you can ski on shitty gear for 5 minutes.

Quote Originally Posted by lionelhutz View Post
    That is an awesome mountain range. Where were you skiing in there?
    That is at Kasprowy Weirch on the backside. This is all accessible right off piste with a little traversing/touring. BUT, got busted twice by the National Park Ninja's for being off the beaten path. Poland off-piste = illegal....I have a TR coming up for a 4 day tour I did a little bit ago in the High Tatras on the Slovakia side. Tatras are awesome. Cheap, great terrain + snow...and no one is around.

Quote Originally Posted by butToFly View Post
    Oh, and who says you can't get playful when snowboarding in hardboots. Phantom bindings FTW
    Phantoms are epic good! Been riding them this season, big money, but well worth it. I´m surprised by the TLT-6 also, overall. I just walked 10km on asphalt with them and my legs don´t feel bad at all. Though during they were quite hard on the ball.

About the conditions in LG, southside of L2A/LG is good spring skiing, I did some couloir next to Rama today. Northside of L2A/LG is icy. The heli buzzed non-stop on weekend and someone died on l'Orciere on saturday The conditions were super icy for sure.

You know what, I'm not going to ask about weather/snow/longer forecasts. I'll be around there skiing somewhere, and I can't change the snow, so I'll just show up and get whatever there is to be got. If anyone's around toward the end of next week maybe I'll see you. Hope it dumps for everyone all over the Alps (and other places, too).
    [quote][//quote]

Quote Originally Posted by Dexter Rutecki View Post
    You know what, I'm not going to ask about weather/snow/longer forecasts. I'll be around there skiing somewhere, and I can't change the snow, so I'll just show up and get whatever there is to be got. If anyone's around toward the end of next week maybe I'll see you. Hope it dumps for everyone all over the Alps (and other places, too).
    Ya dude, thats the way to look at it. If ya cant find good skiing in the alps you arent trying. That being said I miss the pre internet daze. Now I know where its snowing to the day and that leads to a feeling of "missing out". Used to be ya just skied what you had and hoped where ya went worked out.
    Voi Spass

Dex, I was in La Grave last week, and confirm what j said. The road runs are done really, as it's nasty avalache debris about a third of the way from the bottom. You can do it for the adventure, but... Trifide got firm but still nice, and Patou, Banane, and couloir du Lac were in great shape. The main thing seemed to be the gazzillion k/hour winds that scoured the place directly uphill while I was there. Boring 4 minute video of 2 old brittle farts skiing the couloirs I mentioned on Saturday: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mTjk...r#action=share
    Well maybe I'm the faggot America
    I'm not a part of a redneck agenda

Cool. I don't need to ski down to the roads, really. If there's good skiing up high I'm happy. And I agree that finding good skiing in the Alps can usually be done if you're willing to put in the effort. And who knows, maybe some storms will come through soon...
    [quote][//quote]

The forecast is looking quite big for Italy

Quote Originally Posted by Tryingtostaywarm View Post
    That is at Kasprowy Weirch on the backside. This is all accessible right off piste with a little traversing/touring. BUT, got busted twice by the National Park Ninja's for being off the beaten path. Poland off-piste = illegal....I have a TR coming up for a 4 day tour I did a little bit ago in the High Tatras on the Slovakia side. Tatras are awesome. Cheap, great terrain + snow...and no one is around.
    SHHHHHHHHH.

I arrive in Cham on Friday afternoon

Quote Originally Posted by j,the snowboarder View Post
    The forecast is looking quite big for Italy
    i would not count on anything yet, but the ensembles are stirring as well from sunday onwards. so it's not the, usually exegerating, main GFS run alone anymore.

But i wouldn't count on the 200cm from wepowder. it could be more or it could be 1/5th of it.
    It's a war of the mind and we're armed to the teeth.

I'm heading to Val Thorens on april 1. What should I expect?

Snow for the Euros.

You should expect to be in Val thorens on April 1st... It's spring time and over 2 weeks away it could be powder it could be mank, it could be perfect corn. In all likely hood it will be all of the above. The cheese and wine will be all time though