Page 535 of 821 FirstFirst ... 530 531 532 533 534 535 536 537 538 539 540 ... LastLast
Results 13,351 to 13,375 of 20518

www.avalanches.org

click correct region (still hard to find afterwards hard especially in italy and france), and read the local bulletins / measuring stations of the avalanche services
    It's a war of the mind and we're armed to the teeth.

Quote Originally Posted by Summit View Post
    WHere is the best site for Europe new snow totals?
    Snow forecasts?
    Snowforecast is quite a lottery machine, can be used with as a starter tool with Wepowder and then do what Subtle suggests.

My fav place to get weather data is : http://www.wetterzentrale.de/topkarten/fsavneur.html
    There go for example : gesamtniederschlag to see the total accumulation.
    Wetterzentrale aint the magic bullet either, but you can combine a lot of data (wind,high altitude wind,temp,etc) from different sources
    to try to build a picture what is gonna happen weather wise.
    As you are a avyguy, you prolly can put the data to use as well.

For italy (aosta) the http://www.regione.vda.it/ portal is quite good, there check out the Meteo and Bollettino neve e valanghe
    Imho, they get the most accurate wind data for aosta region, which is crucial for planning if you decide to spend more time there.

The floggings will continue until morale improves.

wetterzentrale, wepowder and all the forecasts have predictions, not measured data. wepowder is the Bildzeitung of weather forecasts. meteoexploration.com has a nice map collection which is a little better to navigate than wetterzentrale if looking only at the Alps, imo.
    http://www.meteoexploration.com/maproom/index.php?lang=

In Austria the ZAMG TAWES data is available for the last few days, including hourly precipitation sums (in mm w.e., not snow depth).

like so:
    http://www.zamg.ac.at/cms/de/wetter/...&druckang=stat

the inca analysis / nowcasting tool is nice for austria
    http://www.zamg.ac.at/incaanalyse/?a...10&dip=Nowcast

here is the radar on valluga
    http://wetterradar.vorarlberg.at/radar/index.html#

station data is mostly easiest to find through the local avalanche forecasts. the french generally take care to hide their stuff. meteociel.fr has some useful information for france if you sift through the site a bit, e.g.
    http://www.meteociel.fr/temps-reel/o...php?code2=7469

luckily I live in Tirol where there is always a Tiroler Meter of new snow and it is not neccessary to go anywhere else.

edit: I think I am repeating myself, but I'll say it again: snowforecast uses GFS data, which is what you are probably looking at if you are looking at wetterzentrale maps. it is the same data. SF just tells you cm of new snow and not mm w.e. and makes little cloud and snow icons.
    Ich bitte dich nur, weck mich nicht.

Nice Marbrees! Did a quick Passon on Saturday late afternoon, very wind affected. Managed to find a nice pocket of snow lower down to open it up a bit....but then hit more crust and managed my first ever complete front flip, stomped it and rode it 'to the road' without even realizing what had happened The 2 ski tourers below got a great laugh out of it though. Bringing the freestyle to the backcountry

edit ps- ended up in Cour on Sunday in the end, it's blown to bits. Val Veny was like god's grooming machine had been through it, really weird skiing the exit chuts at speed like a groomer.
    'waxman is correct, and so far with 40+ days of tasting them there is no way my tongue can tell the difference between wood, and plastic made to taste like wood...but i'm a weirdo and lick my gear...' -kidwoo

Courmayeur was pretty good today but hard to do much backcountry with the risk today. Anyone skiing here, Cham or Cour tomorrow? We'd love to make some turns.
    Last edited by Summit; 01-27-2014 at 09:34 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by blurred
    skiing is hiking all day so that you can ski on shitty gear for 5 minutes.

Mr Worldwide - like Pitbull with a better vocabulary
    Updated video from this past weekend, Zauchensee and Werfenweng.

"Yeah, yeah. you buy Playboy for the articles just like I watch Brokeback Mountain for the scenery... wait, that doesnt work."

Haha, As of 3:00min I know swath of trees by heart. Great to see someone enjoying it!

Skied pavillon trees today. Pretty good with an italian meter! Seriously, the tram guys said 30-40cm. No bottom on the kuros.... Basically, just the local italian crew busy tracking it out. Major wind slab on top.

Clearing after the storm but the winds were high at altitude.

The local tracking team prepares to slay, but their buzz is dulled by word the lift won't run until 9:30.

Snow + wind = slides. This drainage can run to the road when it goes big.

Starting to get tracked out....
    Last edited by jumpturn; 01-27-2014 at 09:48 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by sqikunst View Post
    Haha, As of 3:00min I know swath of trees by heart. Great to see someone enjoying it!
    It was our first time at both places and since we're (niccocrates and I) new here pretty much everything is new for us. Great to hear you know the place well, what can you tell us about the black dotted line lookers left of Schnapfenriedl on the map?
    "Yeah, yeah. you buy Playboy for the articles just like I watch Brokeback Mountain for the scenery... wait, that doesnt work."

Its a ski touring route that takes you up to the Eiskogel. The big mountain/plateau looking thing when you look skiers right from the top of Bischling. There is some heavy stuff up there. If you get a clear day you should head up there cause its a pretty trippy landscape.

Quote Originally Posted by nihiles View Post
    Glad to see someone from the east is getting something.

Nice edit and snow... is that you on skis or board?
    Screw the net, Surf the backcountry!

Pretty heavily skied out in the Zillertal from Saturday:

^^^^^ nice stuff... Makes me wonder how the hell I ended up in Northern Germany for the moment.....

Good weekend over les trois vallees, good to get out and explore somewhere I hadn't really done a lot of skiing before.

Snowed probably 25ish cm thurs night/fri then sunshine saturdays. Base is still shockingly low for this time of year but found some good snow, particularly on and around mont vallon. Not too busy either.

Hokay, as I mentioned in this thread, I'm Yurp bound this season. I've finally set the dates, arriving in Milano March 22nd and don't have to be back until late on the 29th, as my meeting begins the morning of the 30th in Milano. That gives me a week with a pretty open schedule. I haven't decided yet where to go and was planning on winging it depending on where the snow is and who might want to meet up. I'll probably rent a car, though public transport is fine too.

I've already been to the Engadine, Cham and La Grave, and as much as I loved all of those places, I'm looking for new terrain. Thinking Andermatt or Engleberg or Verb as major venues on the hit list, though I could easily be convinced to go to other spots, including Alagna, St. Anton or the many less-known sites off the beaten path.

Advice? yugi? klar? anybody? If you don't want to clutter up this thread, you can use my other thread referenced above or PM me.

Many thanks, all.

Quote Originally Posted by sqikunst View Post
    There is some heavy stuff up there.
    Heavy as in dangerous crevasses? sketchy steeps? mandatory cliffs?

Quote Originally Posted by BigDaddy View Post
    Glad to see someone from the east is getting something.

Nice edit and snow... is that you on skis or board?
    Most times, I'm the skis and Niccocrates is the board.

As of now it is not worth going north of the main Alpine ridge if you are starting in Milan and have 5 days, based on the lacking base in the north. Of course that might change till late March but right now St Anton is really not very good. I still think you would enjoy the Dolomites, they have a good base now and are fun in spring.

Quote Originally Posted by Tri-Ungulate View Post
    I've already been to the Engadine, Cham and La Grave, and as much as I loved all of those places, I'm looking for new terrain. Thinking Andermatt or Engleberg or Verb as major venues on the hit list, though I could easily be convinced to go to other spots, including Alagna, St. Anton or the many less-known sites off the beaten path.
    Ich bitte dich nur, weck mich nicht.

Heavy as in dangerous crevasses? sketchy steeps? mandatory cliffs?
    No no. Its not glaciated. U can cruise a bunch of mellow stuff or chose stuff that will make you feel like your balls are in your throat! Thats the beauty of it being a huge plateau there is something for everyone. And when I say huge its absolutely massive. Plus they head up there in the droves when the weather is right but as soon as you get through the "TOR" or big gap in the rock face at the top everyone spreads out.

So question to the Verbier locals, how is it shaping up?

Will eventually be going later this week for an extended weekend but am stuck to that place right now. Overall looks a bit like dust on crust but we know our way around there quite well.
    Thanks for a heads up.

Skied the Grand Envers with Kristin in 50cm of pow. The skiing was good t2b. On the 3rd drop, we skied left of the 45º coulee, but had to huck our way out. Here are a few photos.

Traversing the Arrete du Plan on a Perfect day, clear and no wind.

The Grands Jorasses and the Dent du Géant.

Kristin straightlines on the 1st drop.

Team Andreas works on advanced ski cutting.

Ooops. The lesson turns into class 1 avalanche riding.

Meanwhile, Kristin is overstoking on pow on this first time up the Midi for this season.

Another day at the pow office....

The Dru plastered with snow.
    Last edited by jumpturn; 01-28-2014 at 01:36 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Hicks View Post
    So question to the Verbier locals, how is it shaping up?

Will eventually be going later this week for an extended weekend but am stuck to that place right now. Overall looks a bit like dust on crust but we know our way around there quite well.
    Thanks for a heads up.
    There's been 30 - 40cm in town over the last 48 hours but there has also been a tonne of wind. I've been on baby duty so haven't been able to get away long enough to get up high - but the snow in sheltered areas looks good. Lots of wind crust and slab elsewhere. Personally I'd avoid ridges and the avy report suggests steep north faces are a bad plan (so Mt Fort backside looks like a particular no-no). Anyway, it's a load less rocky than it was last week and it has been super quiet in town.

It was way better than dust on crust even before this snowfall - we were skiing up to knee deep on Friday with only the occasionally touch of the base. Bit wind-scoured in places now though. Afraid we leave town tomorrow.

Quote Originally Posted by Mulletizer View Post

It was way better than dust on crust even before this snowfall - we were skiing up to knee deep on Friday with only the occasionally touch of the base. Bit wind-scoured in places now though. Afraid we leave town tomorrow.
    Thanks. We might consider it a go .....

Quote Originally Posted by spaztwelve View Post
    I too am arriving in Ischgl on Feb 1. I'm meeting up with a bunch of fairly novice Irish folks. I wouldn't mind breaking away from the pack to join up with some more advanced skiers/riders. Hit me up with a PM if you're at all interested in meeting up.
    Yea sure I'll send you a pm :-)

Can anyone recommend where to get a Scuba tank & Paintball adapter type airbag fill in Courmayeur?
    Last edited by PNWbrit; 01-28-2014 at 12:38 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........