Page 534 of 820 FirstFirst ... 529 530 531 532 533 534 535 536 537 538 539 ... LastLast
Results 13,326 to 13,350 of 20483
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTGR Forums1390574723.563175.jpg 
Views:	722 
Size:	35.8 KB 
ID:	149125
    Opened up Grand Envers, that was a lot of work. Heavy, wind affected. Will try Italy tomorrow.
    'waxman is correct, and so far with 40+ days of tasting them there is no way my tongue can tell the difference between wood, and plastic made to taste like wood...but i'm a weirdo and lick my gear...' -kidwoo

Name:	ImageUploadedByTGR Forums1390574852.677858.jpg 
Views:	106 
Size:	41.0 KB 
ID:	149127
    But it is beautiful up there.
    'waxman is correct, and so far with 40+ days of tasting them there is no way my tongue can tell the difference between wood, and plastic made to taste like wood...but i'm a weirdo and lick my gear...' -kidwoo

Quote Originally Posted by ulty_guy View Post
    Opened up Grand Envers, that was a lot of work. Heavy, wind affected. Will try Italy tomorrow.
    Nice one, Rob! Breaking trail on the 1st drop is some work when it is deep and your skis are fat (so they hold lots of snow). And then, there is the walk to Montenvers! But, you must have got in an awesome run.

Went to Italy. While waiting for the top to open, skied a run on the bottom, carefully navigating around frozen moguls, working the 10cm of pow over a hard base, and trying not to edge. Not so bad when you're alone getting 1st tracks. Then, we skied two stellar 1200m runs off the top, which had received 40cm according to the tram guys. Nasty 80kph wind with blowing snow but tasty pow. There was considerable loading from the north wind and you need to be alert. We observed some fracturing on multiple loaded aspects.

Here are few photos.

Charlie rippin' pow.

The light was flat on the top of the 1st run.

But the rocks provided perspective.

The weather picked up on the 2nd run off the top.

Last edited by jumpturn; 01-24-2014 at 11:41 AM.

Yeah, it was a lot of work for what was good but not great in the end. Good call on Italy, headed there tomorrow for family ski day.

Tree skiing in Italia last friday. Hope it again as good as this by monday. Oh and yeah I really like face shots.

Orash does not suck.
    god created man. winchester and baseball bats made them equal - evel kenievel

In Brides-les-bains... where to go tomorrow? This is a big place. Where are the goods? Is it efficient to take the Gondola to Meribel and get to the goods, or do I actually want to drive to Courchevel or Val Thorens? Also, anyone around here wanna ski?
    Quote Originally Posted by blurred
    skiing is hiking all day so that you can ski on shitty gear for 5 minutes.

Quote Originally Posted by Orash111 View Post
    Tree skiing in Italia last friday. Hope it again as good as this by monday. Oh and yeah I really like face shots.

Finally some Italy stoke. It seems every time I look at snow fall totals, somewhere in Italy is getting 40cm-100cm of snow!

Saw some boarder in Lake Louise with the same camera set up, but he was skiing on groomers? Don't quite get that. Face shots is really where it's at.
    "We don't beat the reaper by living longer, we beat the reaper by living well and living fully." - Randy Pausch

Smile

Some footage from Chamonix. TR to follow. Ah, it's my first post. Cheers everyone!

Skied the Direct Marbrées Couloir (2300m) with Françoise and Matteo in very nice powder with surprising stability, given the 60kph NW wind. I wanted to ski this variation for some time, and we finally got around to it.

A week earlier, Françoise and I had attempted the regular entrance, but it was really slabby, fracturing and cutting loose about 30cm deep. So, we skied the Combe de La Noire instead. Even there, we had to ski cut the top and ski the avy track to get into it.

This time, we had some trepidation as I had observed multiple fractures on the Toula Glacier the afternoon before. Since we were the first party on the line after the storm, we tested the snow and eased onto the powder before making heavy turns. It turned out the abundant snow was quite stable.

It was great skiing with Matteo and hearing stories through the eyes of a Courmayeur local, like how he was avalanched on the Toula couloir next to the stairs. Matteo is flying helis for the Italian military, but is looking to fly for rescue or skiing when he completes his service.

The snow was great and remained good down to the traverse left into the sun. Everyone was stoked.

A wee bit rocky to get into the couloir.

The South Face of the Dent du Géant... the big brother of the Marbrées.

The end of the rock garden is in sight!

Matteo surveys the scene. The 60kph wind continues loading the crest.

Françoise gets into the rhythm on her Dynafit Baltoro skis, but 84 underfoot means work in Italy.

Matteo demonstrates how to ski with 124 under foot....crush...crush...

Look at those fat boys edge that pow.

Nothing like a clean canvass!!!

jumpturn skis the ridge.

Our tracks are on the left. Mine are on the ridge. Need to teach Françoise to craft her turns, or least not mess up our sweet tracks before the photo...

We skied the forest exit and found some nice snow in the shade.

Higher resolution versions of the photos are available here.
    Last edited by jumpturn; 01-26-2014 at 01:15 PM.

Kept it real today in the 74. Cold, easy snow to be had, chilaxed. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTGR Forums1390666190.621442.jpg 
Views:	248 
Size:	92.4 KB 
ID:	149179
    #1 goal this year......stay alive +
    DOWN SKIS

Some nice stoke on this page. Italy looked v. nice, Orash.

About 25-30cm in the north Salzburgerland today but still no base. A bit more tomorrow and it will start looking like winter.

Quote Originally Posted by geo039 View Post

Name:	ImageUploadedByTGR Forums1390666190.621442.jpg 
Views:	248 
Size:	92.4 KB 
ID:	149179
    new down monoski? with swallowtail?

freak~[&]

Only the real here at Down. #nextyear also new 3 layer faux fur outerwear. Presale starts soon.
    Quote Originally Posted by freak View Post
    new down monoski? with swallowtail?

freak~[&]
    #1 goal this year......stay alive +
    DOWN SKIS

Quote Originally Posted by Summit View Post
    In Brides-les-bains... where to go tomorrow? This is a big place. Where are the goods? Is it efficient to take the Gondola to Meribel and get to the goods, or do I actually want to drive to Courchevel or Val Thorens? Also, anyone around here wanna ski?
    don't know that area super well but I'd just ride the gondy - you can get over to the Courchevel or Val T side very quickly from the top of that.

this is quite old but has some good beta for stuff to do around there:

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/dennis....iingindex.html
    fur bearing, drunk, prancing eurosnob

Quote Originally Posted by Summit View Post
    The chutes above Courchevel and particulary the terrain above Val Thorens has more potentilal that Meribel IMHO.

Jumpturn, you provide some mighty good stoke.
    Much appreciated for taking your time.

The floggings will continue until morale improves.

Any chance anyone can recommend a good place to ski in the greater Dolomites area when its storming? Will be in the area at the end of the month; planning for intense nukage.

Can't compete with Orash's Italy face shots or Jumpturn's antics at the Marbré but Verbier enjoyable today...

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC01405.JPG 
Views:	42 
Size:	43.2 KB 
ID:	149191   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC01377.JPG 
Views:	37 
Size:	85.1 KB 
ID:	149192  

Today in Tirol.

Mr Worldwide - like Pitbull with a better vocabulary
    Quote Originally Posted by Incompetent Boob View Post

About 25-30cm in the north Salzburgerland today but still no base. A bit more tomorrow and it will start looking like winter.
    Lookin' like winter to us Bob!

And it still hasn't stopped snowing.
    "Yeah, yeah. you buy Playboy for the articles just like I watch Brokeback Mountain for the scenery... wait, that doesnt work."

Great stoke in this thread! Conditions are definitely picking up.

engelberg yesterday

Name:	G0704126.jpg 
Views:	115 
Size:	840.8 KB 
ID:	149244

WHere is the best site for Europe new snow totals?
    Snow forecasts?
    Quote Originally Posted by blurred
    skiing is hiking all day so that you can ski on shitty gear for 5 minutes.

^^^^No real good spot for snow totals in europe as far as I know. That is one of the downsides and upsides of it. In a way if you have it figured out, you can be hitting tons of fresh without everyone knowing about it. On the other hand, if you have not become a local you will have no idea.

Problem is that the resorts are so big with so much elevation change that they can't properly report the amounts. At least some spots.

Most spots do have a report if you just go to their individual websites, but they update the snow report as they open so it is pointless if you are trying to decide when you get up in the morning. Have to watch the radar and at least 5 weather forecasts and just develop local knowledge of which storms mean dump age in which spots.