Page 445 of 821 FirstFirst ... 440 441 442 443 444 445 446 447 448 449 450 ... LastLast
Results 11,101 to 11,125 of 20518
    lots of bad news in the past days... finnish skier buried for 2.5h despite beacon. resuscitated twice, but died in hospital. partners apparently had to ski down to call for help due (no phone coverage), and the slide was witnessed by other skiers who also called mountain rescue. no info on why they did not initiate a partner rescue. seems like a very long recovery time for the victim, despite the apparently quick response of organized rescue.
    http://salzburg.orf.at/news/stories/2521707/
    edit: details here (in german). http://www.lawine.salzburg.at/ereign...dex2.php?id=24

given the snowpack I saw on Hengstpass on sunday, I'm glad we spent the saturday at the Kripp - with pretty good conditions, but a nicely tracked irregular surface underneath the new snow.
    Last edited by herr_stoiber; 02-20-2012 at 09:37 AM.
    ~#at night the highway's diesel roar/speaks to me and tells me more/than any book I've ever read/or anything you've ever said#~

First post here-- yeah, I'll do it for you: "Verpiss dich, JONG."

Just moved to Munich, so I'm just getting my shit situated here. Don't know a soul, really. Was at Hochfugen (Hochzillertal area) on Fri (2/17)... deep, fresh, untracked, all day. Lift served, opening for the first time in 24 hrs after that epic dump, so it was a little better settled, but totally fresh. Wish I had video, but it was running in my bag the whole way down/hrs of black, silent footage... I'm a fool.

Side note: Anyone from Finland/Lapland? Anyone gonna be in Yllas/Levi this/next week (Feb 25 to Mar 2)? Would love to meet up, buy you some beer, go skiing, get on some reindeer. I know it's considered pretty soft terrain (going for other reasons), but I really want to get at least a little off-piste skiing in, and I don't know anything about the area, nor am I going with anyone who will venture out with me.

Quote Originally Posted by Hicks View Post
    Slovakia last weekend - from 3Limits.sk

+1 !!
    not as deep over here anymore. maybe I should've driven east instead of west!
    ~#at night the highway's diesel roar/speaks to me and tells me more/than any book I've ever read/or anything you've ever said#~

tracked out bump runs

ps: i am running out of colour these days... so fu**in expensive this stuff!

Quote Originally Posted by justr View Post
    Wish I had video, but it was running in my bag the whole way down/hrs of black, silent footage... I'm a fool.
    Post it in the Ski/Snowboard forum, can't be any worse than most of the shit getting posted there recently.

Anyone been in the Berner recently? How does the snowpack look versus average this year?
    "Buy the Fucking Plane Tickets!"
    -- Jack Tackle

Quote Originally Posted by Marius View Post
    tracked out bump runs

Absolutely gorgeous. Top marks, young man!

Where is that?
    Skiah for life

I'm headed to St Anton on Sunday for three days. I am currently booked for two days with Piste to Powder. Is that a good way to experience the best of St Anton (looks like someone had a good day with them on the previous page)? I'm traveling with a group, but they will mostly stick to the pistes. Then we're heading to Arabba in the Dolomites, where I'm skiing with Francesco Tremolada on March 1. Looks like they've gotten some snow, but maybe not enough to ski the couloirs up on Sella? I'm happy to ski around on piste with my friends the rest of the time. Looking at the weather, should I be worried about the warm up this week? I don't really care if it's deep - I just would love to be able to experience the best of these places. But, should I lower my expectations based on the forecast? Just can't bare the thought of hard pack, with the season we've had in the Northeast US.

I was going to group up with Pistes to Powder two weeks ago. It was a bro/gaper fest. I bailed. If you can travel alone Thatcher I'd contact Patrick Ribis at the Stubai Freeride center. Stubai region is less than an hour from St. Anton and that guy knows his shit. I went out with him to a few hidden gems and skied untracked pow all day.

I feel like a gapicskier, but again totally stoked on pistencarven today. Epic views of the Mont Blanc massif from the top of Flaine.

Quote Originally Posted by JoeStrummer View Post
    Anyone been in the Berner recently? How does the snowpack look versus average this year?
    Haven't been there lately but SLF says that snow levels are about 200% of normal...
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	hsrel_de_c_gross.gif 
Views:	61 
Size:	70.7 KB 
ID:	110698

Quote Originally Posted by Marius View Post
    tracked out bump runs

way to steal my title. You run out of those too?

Quote Originally Posted by Thatcher View Post
    I'm headed to St Anton on Sunday for three days. I am currently booked for two days with Piste to Powder. Is that a good way to experience the best of St Anton (looks like someone had a good day with them on the previous page)? I'm traveling with a group, but they will mostly stick to the pistes. Then we're heading to Arabba in the Dolomites, where I'm skiing with Francesco Tremolada on March 1. Looks like they've gotten some snow, but maybe not enough to ski the couloirs up on Sella? I'm happy to ski around on piste with my friends the rest of the time. Looking at the weather, should I be worried about the warm up this week? I don't really care if it's deep - I just would love to be able to experience the best of these places. But, should I lower my expectations based on the forecast? Just can't bare the thought of hard pack, with the season we've had in the Northeast US.
    I was in piste to powder two years ago and had a good time. It was me and my two buddies, so we were not really slowed down. There were a few lower leveled people, but they pulled them out into a separate group after one run. I was very pleased that they put the amount of effort they did into dividing the skiers up into levels. We were off piste backcountry all day and had a great time.

I didn't have a guide, but stubai was also pretty awesome. We just guessed our way around and never went out of bounds and still had a good time. If you have a guide there that would be awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by Schnappi View Post
    way to steal my title. You run out of those too?
    indeed. some stupid guy already got this idea with "crusty mank" so there werent any more options for my limited dengrish skills. i feel a bit sorry for you... but wait: no, not really.

@thatcher/dolomites: there is actually almost NO snow down there! probably just enough to cover those piste, but i'd not go there for skiing pow this season so far. go and search for some webcams in the area...

aha... untracked pow all day long at stubai glacier. aha..., well.

Oh and this is what I've been up to in Euroland:

http://aussieskier.com/index.php/201...amonix-flaine/

Cham stoke to flow after the comp in Turkey.

I'm looking for recommendations on Zillertal. I'll be there a couple of days. Hochfügen/kaltenbach a good option? Can anyone recommend a guide in the area? Thanks!

Hochfügen has actually nice terrain, it is a bit similar to the arlberg, with just less of everything (less terrain, less snow, less cenery, less known, etc) you also have to traverse quite a lot for relatively short runs (which are quite nice nevertheless) and it gets tracked pretty fast, competition is quite high, as is the level of stupid people and freeriders in general. Some stuff can be reached with short hikes/skins. Kaltenbach is less busy (still quite a lot of people), has less terrain but some nice treeskiing for storm days, the resorts are connected by lifts. The snow-coverage in the whole Zillertal is very good atm. I dont know any guides (if you are familiar with skiing off-piste and not alone you wont need one imho), mybe marius can chime in on that topic.
    When are you gonna be here?

freak~[&]

Saturday, February 18th: Glarnerland

Gorgeous day, quite warm though.
    Lots of whumping going on, so we could not drop our original goal.
    However the alternative turned out to be very good. Not as challenging the terrain, but the powder was sooo good.
    (photos by danski)

Nic in the upper part. Here for a short stretch slightly wind buffed, but later on pow (40cm) of the finest.

Me

Our playground
    (original line further up to the left just a bit out of the picture... oh well, we'll keep it for another day)
    Last edited by IridePow; 02-23-2012 at 07:17 AM.

Titlis round tour (incl. Grassen), Wednesday, February 22
    A rappel, some horrible breakable crust on the southern slopes, but then.... POWDER HEAVEN.

It has been quite a while since I hit powder so good for a tour from top to bottom.
    1700m vertical meters of perfect powder (30 - 40 cm). No wind in that snow whatsoever.
    Just a couple of lines (starting below the biwac) before our tracks were set. On Grassen we had first lines. Sweet!

Danski's first line down from the Grassen

Gery loving it

Peter with a big smile on his face

Last sunrays before we hit the shadows of the Engelberger valley
    Last edited by IridePow; 02-23-2012 at 01:39 PM.

Last try....
    Hello!

Is anybody going to the 3 Valleys 25th of Feb. to the 4th of March? I'm looking for people to meet up with to share some turns, and happy to share a guide if interested. Also, I've never been to the 3 Valleys, obviously it's a big area so any advice on where to go would be much appreciated.
    Thank you!

Bill
    Skiah for life

+1 for the titlis stoke. work sucks.

Nice one, IridePow!
    This looks so tasty...

Quote Originally Posted by IridePow View Post

Danski's first line down from the Grassen

Freak: pm sent

Sweet Protections team video from ISPO. Shot in austria january 2012

Nr the sea , on the other side of the pond..
    Quote Originally Posted by Onward View Post
    Sweet Protections team video from ISPO. Shot in austria january 2012

awesome ... that was the Arlberg in January .... bottomless storm skiing
    Semper in Pulveris .... Only the depth varies

So, me and a buddy rode a beautiful NW face of Dent de Lys (in the Vaud preealps) before work today. Nice steep chute into a long continuous no traverse required face. Nice settled pow the whole way. Unfortunately my gopro on a ski pole cut out right after the chute (piece of crap keeps doing this). Also managed to somehow delete all of the few pictures I got. Grrrr.

Also a bunch of amazing powder, both daylight and headlight riding in Col de Mosses with pillows this past week. Too bad the warm came today... Still, it has been a great week of touring in spots I wouldn't have otherwise gone to if there was snow down south in Verb and Cham areas.