Page 436 of 821 FirstFirst ... 431 432 433 434 435 436 437 438 439 440 441 ... LastLast
Results 10,876 to 10,900 of 20508
    Quote Originally Posted by klar View Post
    you need to gain some situational awarness when skitouring and do less shooting with children in ski resorts. there are times when skiing pillows like that is appropriate and there are times when it's not.
    papperlapapp. it's only 30-40° steeper than the couloir itself!

@btw: second vote for "who said we are not skiing?"?

Sunbathing weather in Verbier today

SuperBowl was busy

Catwalk always good

All the way down

Beautiful day

Heading down to the alps next fri - monday with a bunch of flatland telemarkers. Anyone got any tips for a nice area?
    Looking for pow, doesn't need to be super gnarly; no glaciers.
    Will skin if needed (preferably from the top of a lift).

euros, thinking about late feb to chamonix, verbier and zermatt.. coverage looks beyond epic!

anyone know where can I buy a used pair of dynastar 186 legend pros from last 4-5 yrs in the geneva area for a good price? (150 chf?)

doing all I can to avoid crappy baggage fees (extra $400 to carry skis to europe).. maybe I should portage skis there and sell them post shred?

Things just fell in to place and I get in to Cham on March 5th for about 10 days.

I'll be on my own, skiing with a guide for some of the time, any mags keen to hook up?

Would be great to just ski or perhaps split the cost of the guide if appropriate/looking to tick off a big line etc.

cold cold afterwork night touring on friday with andi:

mainly to see which modes of operating the camera are feasible at -25 and in the dark.. I was amazed that andi managed to get some material out of this shoot at all given the randomness of my skiing.

as for daytime riding in the far eastern alps (lower austria), the wind changing from south to north has pretty much blown every last piece of loose snow to the balkans. scored a ton of ice and breakable crust on saturday, but had a bit more luck yesterday at Raxalpe (even catching some sunshine). cheers
    ~#at night the highway's diesel roar/speaks to me and tells me more/than any book I've ever read/or anything you've ever said#~

Quote Originally Posted by CarveMan View Post
    Things just fell in to place and I get in to Cham on March 5th for about 10 days.

I'll be on my own, skiing with a guide for some of the time, any mags keen to hook up?

Would be great to just ski or perhaps split the cost of the guide if appropriate/looking to tick off a big line etc.
    Col des Cristaux. Warm up on the Rond and the Cosmiques.

Hey! Just to be sure : the st.bernard ski centre is bankrupted and closed for this season? they aint gonna keep it open in the spring either??

just checking for our haute route trip... day 3 on grand lui variation would mean 3000m/vert skinning without the lift...uuhh... I think reverting to the normal route will be the wisest...

The floggings will continue until morale improves.

it's definitely been closed. not sure what the latest news is.

http://www.lesuper.ch says etat d'urgence (click for PDF info)

http://www.ski-psb.ch/ has been scrubbed of all references to SSB

doesn't seem good.

Super St Bernard still closed
    Though you can buy it for 1chf - assuming you replace the telecabin.
    Sadly couldn't afford to replace the old lift.
    Shame, good station, had some good times there - always thought it was like a mini la Grave.

Apparently there is no avalanche control work being done in the area anymore either (according to a local guide)
    Which has limited number of people touring to the hospice etc.

day 3 on grand lui variation
    Never done full Haute Route.. But for grand lui version I think it would be the plan de jeu poma at SSB you want (not the main telecabin).
    However it is also shut - but to be honest it only helped with about 400-500m vertical. So no real difference.

If you don't mind using ski lifts buy a single ticket for the Mont Fort in Verbier ?
    And maybe go straight to Cabanne Dix in a day ?
    Last edited by Scottish_Skier; 02-06-2012 at 10:18 AM.

dman, doesnt work...pic will appear later...

Quote Originally Posted by CarveMan View Post

PM on it's way.

sweet! especially seeing those temps nice job. can't wait to see what you boys can do in the daylight hours...
    that's not bad...
    www.nosiesta.com
    IFMGA Ski & Mountain Guide

Quote Originally Posted by gamma View Post
    euros, thinking about late feb to chamonix, verbier and zermatt.. coverage looks beyond epic!

anyone know where can I buy a used pair of dynastar 186 legend pros from last 4-5 yrs in the geneva area for a good price? (150 chf?)

doing all I can to avoid crappy baggage fees (extra $400 to carry skis to europe).. maybe I should portage skis there and sell them post shred?
    i'll take a look in my local shop. they have a bunch of used gear. with or without bindings? bsl? are there any comparable skis to watch for?

Thx for the info guys!

Quote Originally Posted by Scottish_Skier View Post

Never done full Haute Route.. But for grand lui version I think it would be the plan de jeu poma at SSB you want (not the main telecabin).
    However it is also shut - but to be honest it only helped with about 400-500m vertical. So no real difference.
    Well, guidebooks say that the lifts should go from 1600-2200, and refers to Les Darrys ski lift, dont know what it means by that.. But still, 2.5-3km vert on day three...
    One option would be to go only to velan hut, thus making the day shorter, of course you would need to catch up on the next day and start with a 400m bootpack.

If you don't mind using ski lifts buy a single ticket for the Mont Fort in Verbier ?
    And maybe go straight to Cabanne Dix in a day ?
    That is a option, but it would cut quite a bit away from the trip. Albeit, that being the mainly "uphill only" day (chanrion-vignette), still. I like slogging..
    Oh well, planning continues!

The floggings will continue until morale improves.

Nr the sea , on the other side of the pond..
    Random stoke ... not me but the opening bit is awesome.

Semper in Pulveris .... Only the depth varies

MeatHelmet - Old SSB piste map here. Car park is at 1900 (not 1600).
    I think your book talks about taking the poma on the left to 2200 for Grand Lui ?
    Would be very easy skin.Though both lifts are now very much 'ferme'.

will be in eastern austria from thursday (salzburg, carinthia, tyrol), anyone around?
    not much snow in the forecast but still will be fun!!!

marco

MeatHelmet - Old SSB piste map here. Car park is at 1900 (not 1600).
    I think your book talks about taking the poma on the left to 2200 for Grand Lui ?
    Would be very easy skin.Though both lifts are now very much 'ferme'.

cool pic. i took the same one inside the restaurant. i've always wondered about that lift to the right - did it ever exist? or was this like the pre-planning layout for SSB before it was actually built?

RIP Super St Bernard aka Super Self Arrest, Super Wind-Ripped, Super Crusty Mank...

Mags, a friend is looking for Austria recommendations for ski trip with kids. They are pretty average skiers so kid friendly place that is reasonably priced is more important than gnar lines.

Thanks in advance!

Trees, trees, trees

Nothing mind boggling just some helmet cam footage I threw together from the 21st of jan. We had fun anyway.

rider: sebastian huber
    Quote Originally Posted by wildstyle View Post
    Random stoke ... not me but the opening bit is awesome.

hochfügen: big area (more blues for the kids)
    kühtai: smaller area (mostly reds for the kids) absolutely a plus! has a full sunny side for the afternoon/or a shady side for the afternoon (it depends on the wife)
    Quote Originally Posted by eug View Post
    Mags, a friend is looking for Austria recommendations for ski trip with kids. They are pretty average skiers so kid friendly place that is reasonably priced is more important than gnar lines.

Thanks in advance!

oops...

meathelmet, as wisely already said by many the old poma lift was almost of no help for the lui variation... and yes, if you're tired you can always divert to the velan hut. Anyway, it's probably a bit too early to decide about what will be the less crawded/more snowy variation