Page 486 of 813 FirstFirst ... 481 482 483 484 485 486 487 488 489 490 491 ... LastLast
Results 12,126 to 12,150 of 20323
    Some of the craziest reports I've ever seen coming out of the pyrenees this week. Many resorts in the North West reporting >200cm since saturday... in town and still going strong! I'm gonna be checking it out over the weekend. It's supposed to be blue tomorrow and then another top-up Friday/Sat and Blue again Sunday. Froth is high! I'm desperate for local advice though as I'm new to these parts. Anyone has any pointers let me know please!
    Today ridicule, tomorrow really cool.

http://www.left-collective.com/
    FOLLOW YOUR OWN WAY

^^ dude avalanche danger at 5. Some times deep is deep and then there is just stupid and dangerous deep that is what is going in in the pyrenees. I would stick around in the alps cold smoke is coming down right now so tomorrow should be a good day. Nice cold dry snow. Stay safe out there.

Advice: stay in bounds tomorrow. 5/5 in the avalanche risk scale.
    Tomorrow is the D-day but the snow quality has suffered lots due to today's warmer temps and water/rain. Sunday will be worse due to possible rain on Saturday.
    More snow due for the first half of next week.

I guess my skins will have plenty of time to dry before I get to use them again.

Fucking awesome here in the French Alps at the moment. Got a few laps of some super cold dry powder and if you chose your line so you weren't on old tracks it was full speed bottomless stuff.

it was a lot heavier today, setting up decently (for skiing until the springtime) but still some fluffy to be had. Parts were just bottomless and (gasp) nearly unskiable with a lapful of pow, but with some angle it skied ok. Hopefully they can safely open Bonaigua tomorrow, as it has been closed for the entire storm cycle!! The fog/cloud has been the hardest thing to deal with as its flat light with no tracks or rocks to give you any perception of depth!!

Misty, if you're in the area give me a shout!

off topic question: Does anybody knows how many weeks before the Freeride comp in Verbier they usually close Bec des Rosses? I guess its different from year to year but just a approximation.

^They close it? How? Serious question. A fence and a sign doesn't seem to stop many in Euroland...
    Meanwhile, still some decent turns to be had in Verbier today, at least Mt Gele and backside of Mt Fort, most of the obvious stuff is already bumped out though

Anyone wanna hit up Montafon this weekend or next week? From yesterday we're already at the 30cm mark and its supposed to continue off and on through the weekend....

Yesterday was 30-40cm of Silky pow, lovin it here!...

Super stoked to hear and can't wait to see pics from the journey.
    Quote Originally Posted by Toby View Post
    We're close as the crow flies, G. Shame you're not one valley south or we could share some turns. Absolutely loving my CD2s, best skis I've ever had.
    #1 goal this year......stay alive +
    DOWN SKIS

Fucking awesome here in the French Alps at the moment. Got a few laps of some super cold dry powder and if you chose your line so you weren't on old tracks it was full speed bottomless stuff.
    I'll second that, but pretty chilly at -25C with a stiff wind....

a border caught an edge and launched 10m into a crevasse below the Requin hut.... broke his shoulder...pghm winched him out...no gear, no clue...didn't realize they were on a glacier (!) .... Luckier than some....

Quote Originally Posted by jumpturn View Post
    I'll second that, but pretty chilly at -25C with a stiff wind....

a border caught an edge and launched 10m into a crevasse below the Requin hut.... broke his shoulder...pghm winched him out...no gear, no clue...didn't realize they were on a glacier (!) .... Luckier than some....
    How is the snow holding up?
    Fucked up by wind?
    Tried to watch the windspeed meters in cham / Courmayer and they seemed to be under 10m/s.
    So drifting snow or slabs?

Arriving tomorrow to courmayer. Will be around cour/la thuile for few days.
    Ssstoked.

The floggings will continue until morale improves.

Quote Originally Posted by ZekeWolf View Post
    off topic question: Does anybody knows how many weeks before the Freeride comp in Verbier they usually close Bec des Rosses? I guess its different from year to year but just a approximation.
    Hey...
    The bec is not a run, it's not a face, it's not a slope. The bec is a mountain with several different possible access, none of which by lift. It's true that in the 3-4 weeks of late feb-march before the xtreme there is a guide who is supposed to stop who is willing to ski the bec, but I've seen the bec tracked before or after the xtreme just a few times in my life. Usually people climb a ridge of the bec, realize what they're doing and ski some lateral lines that have nothing to do with the lines that are skied during the xtreme.

Meathelmet, wind hasn't had a big effect where I am, further south. There is some funky stuff a bit deeper down in isolated spots, but by and large the snowpack is pretty favourable in the more sheltered spots I seem to be frequenting. Even the gasex's here are struggling to produce anything but sluff (although today's cold pow sluffed pretty easily). No slabs here yet, not on top anyway. Very slight possibility of deep hard slab, very location specific and not at all widespread. All my uneducated opinion, of course, and only really applicable to where I am.

Quote Originally Posted by verbier61 View Post
    Hey...
    The bec is not a run, it's not a face, it's not a slope. The bec is a mountain with several different possible access, none of which by lift. It's true that in the 3-4 weeks of late feb-march before the xtreme there is a guide who is supposed to stop who is willing to ski the bec, but I've seen the bec tracked before or after the xtreme just a few times in my life. Usually people climb a ridge of the bec, realize what they're doing and ski some lateral lines that have nothing to do with the lines that are skied during the xtreme.
    Thanks for your answer.

Meathelmet, wind hasn't had a big effect where I am, further south. There is some funky stuff a bit deeper down in isolated spots, but by and large the snowpack is pretty favourable in the more sheltered spots I seem to be frequenting. Even the gasex's here are struggling to produce anything but sluff (although today's cold pow sluffed pretty easily). No slabs here yet, not on top anyway. Very slight possibility of deep hard slab, very location specific and not at all widespread. All my uneducated opinion, of course, and only really applicable to where I am.
    Thx!
    Traveling with 20kg baggage so cant bring the whole quiver... being a optimist, I am opting for the fatties then.

Only one pair of clean underwear is getting me concerned though... Might have to skip the apres ski...

The floggings will continue until morale improves.

I've been here for three weeks and only ridden one ski - 115mm CD2s - and they've been perfect as daily drivers. Another mag's been on Praxis Big Mountains and also no complaints AFAIK. Looks like we'll get a good top-up this weekend, so pow-skis will be fine.

Today was EPIC. Not very often the snow is that light and dry in the Alps.

My cousin getting deep before class in Tirol.

A question about Chamonix--we'll be there 9-16March (Paris school holidays I think) and will want to join a group with the Compagnie des Guides most days. When I was there 2 years ago we signed up at the guides bureau the evening before--is that still the case or would it be better to book in advance?

FYI this weekend @Bruson only 20CHF

Quote Originally Posted by sqikunst View Post

Just got back from Austria, fantastic fresh turns everyday, and it looks like it just got even better.

Quote Originally Posted by Sparky View Post
    Just got back from Austria, fantastic fresh turns everyday, and it looks like it just got even better.
    now that's epic guys !
    that's not bad...
    www.nosiesta.com
    IFMGA Ski & Mountain Guide

Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    A question about Chamonix--we'll be there 9-16March (Paris school holidays I think) and will want to join a group with the Compagnie des Guides most days. When I was there 2 years ago we signed up at the guides bureau the evening before--is that still the case or would it be better to book in advance?
    answer - yes of course
    but why with them?
    that's not bad...
    www.nosiesta.com

Quote Originally Posted by Meathelmet View Post
    How is the snow holding up?
    Fucked up by wind?
    Tried to watch the windspeed meters in cham / Courmayer and they seemed to be under 10m/s.
    So drifting snow or slabs?

Arriving tomorrow to courmayer. Will be around cour/la thuile for few days.
    Ssstoked.
    it's still good but slabbed in places of course. howling wind and bitter cold. choose lines wisely
    that's not bad...
    www.nosiesta.com

Quote Originally Posted by sqikunst View Post

Sweet!

Where in Tirol is that? Anywhere on the Ibk Freizeitticket? Not working 'til 2pm tomorrow (friday), so want to get out somewhere... Nordkette is easiest but don't think there's all that much fresh up there yet...

Cheers

Yeah, like blondin says wind changed things here too. Soft slab now present in some places, although it's not a big problem here (they're generally small and easily avoidable with terrain management).