Page 376 of 820 FirstFirst ... 371 372 373 374 375 376 377 378 379 380 381 ... LastLast
Results 9,376 to 9,400 of 20483
    live and learn I guess (if you can't listen).... never experienced the Italian way of avalanche control so far.

The other extrem would probably have been Zermatt:
    there you would have had two helicopters in the air that throw about three dozen charges each.
    not that I am saying that is a good way, but hey it would have gotten me a few long awaited turns in the deep (mank).

Trying the best the next two days in resorts and then I will switch over to the backcountry spring season.
    However the slogs out will be long most the time, because the base below 2000m is pretty much not existend.
    (had to walk already 1 km out last week from the staldenfirn run and that was a week ago, usually not the case in early March)

Verbier got a bit of snow in the top section. Xtreme delayed to sunday.

Verbier is pretty warm, rained up to about 1900m. 10 cm or so higher. Poor visibility today. Better vis forecast for tomorrow.
    "Sometimes nuthin' is a real cool hand"

Quote Originally Posted by Meathelmet View Post
    Subtle plague, 1 point!

Oh man...
    That's Antagnod though...it's a small resort not connected with everything else on the Monterosa.
    Always Fight Gravity

Quote Originally Posted by teosickrider View Post
    That's Antagnod though...it's a small resort not connected with everything else on the Monterosa.
    Ye I know... I just tried to post a pick windblasted mank but I was too dumb to realize that pic changes constantly... Embed fail.
    Strong winds in moro apparently...

The floggings will continue until morale improves.

ahahah yeah.
    I was driving from Milano towards the Alps this morning and I could see the wind blowing uptehere...
    Always Fight Gravity

bouldering..... here i come. again.
    It's a war of the mind and we're armed to the teeth.

Was in Stubai this morning after reading the elevated avalanche risk decided to take it mellow but with shit visibility and a couple of "Whoomps" decided to head home cause I was skiing alone. Same risk level for tomorrow gonna try and head out again. Took a look at the webcam for this afternoon and there are pockets of sunshine kind of regretting not sticking around but there was just that feeling of "this is not a good idea" all morning long. At the end of the season especially like the bad one we had this year trying to get those last powder days in makes it easy to slip up. Anyways heading out again tomorrow if anyone is looking for a partner PM. I enjoy the illusion of safety when in groups ...

Epic fail in Gressoney this morning. Sun came out but so did the winds. Everything good on hold, didn't fancy limited pistes with hordes of locals so had a coffee and pulled the pin.

Now back in Cham packing to leave at 6am tomorrow. Not exactly how I wanted the trip to end but c'est la vie.

Great day today in zermatt. Found some nice powder (50cm) off the hohtaelli and red nose gondola. And yeah the views on a bluebird day in zermatt are stunning again and again.

But Below about 2400m is already a slight crust. Will try to post a few pics later.

Great day around Zillertal today. Visibility wasn't that great and the snow was a little heavy and slid everywhere it could. Still, with 30-50 cm of fresh on the ground, skiing mellow terrain close to the pistes with friends was great fun!

Oh, and proof:

Quote Originally Posted by subtle plague View Post
    bouldering..... here i come. again.
    maybe you should, maybe not.

but, pics never tell the truth. faketurn galore . my last move - to get the bike down here - i am sure, is still the best one while this winter.
    sunday could be "ok", hope i'll manage to avoid the obvious shitshow.

that does not look too shabby.

the problem is whether it will stay good and what happens tomorrow....
    It's a war of the mind and we're armed to the teeth.

finally, i thought the phrase: (es kimmt no) it will come!!!! was the unphrase of the season.
    hmmm sunday will be the day. damm i hate bluebird sundays

innsbruck top snowfall on tgr snowlab

No skiing for me this weekend, but crossing my fingers for the forecast: http://www.yr.no/place/Norway/S%C3%B...nter/long.html
    simen@downskis.com DOWN SKIS

A few (point-and-shoot) pics from Zermatt this Friday:

Never a bad day in may books when you start off the day with this view:

First playing around a bit in the Rothorn area:

Then later they opened up the Red Nose gondola. Random skier in the upper part.
    Was actually nice and fluffy from 3300m down to about 2700m. Approx. 50 cm of fresh.

Steve in the lower part where it got a bit denser, but it was still lots of fun to pick your line.

Pretty much lapped the Gant-Hohtaelli+Red Nose lift most of the day, since the snow was good and you could always find an open line. Just below 2400m was a slight crust from the warm and refrozen snow from the days before.

P.S. The upper lifts on the Cervinia side were all closed. I guess the Italians there (and in Alagna/Gressoney) drink Espresso and Cappucchino until all the snow is total mank or windblown.

Quote Originally Posted by CarveMan View Post
    Epic fail in Gressoney this morning. Sun came out but so did the winds. Everything good on hold, didn't fancy limited pistes with hordes of locals so had a coffee and pulled the pin.

Now back in Cham packing to leave at 6am tomorrow. Not exactly how I wanted the trip to end but c'est la vie.
    Looks like the trip wasn't too bad....Now, we need major dumpage for the Spring redux!!!

Amatt today was cool compared to the rest of the season.
    I have never ever seen so many people there though. NEVER. Was it a holiday today in the land of cheese?
    Always Fight Gravity

same with Glacier3000. lots of people, pretty much tracked out by 2pm. but felt good to make some pow turns again. over the boot blower! well, 3rd buckle maybe.

the beers tasted pretty good too...

Pretty good snow today in Stubai. Same deal as everyone else got tracked pretty quick and there were some mega sharks out there. Fucked the tip on my protests. Literally bending the edges and base backwards off the fiber glass like a peeled banana. Not really a hard fix but considering how hard the impact was really impressed with the praxis build quality. It was a double eject while straight lining. I think I did two full somersaults in the air before hitting the ground again was like a catapult. By the grace of god my body hit nothing and after a couple of feet to head to feet moments I popped right onto my feet. It wasnt very deep but did get a couple of crazy intense face shots cause the wind was blowing up slope. Big chunks of wind pressed pow getting slammed in the face. But like elsewhere tracked by 2pm. Powder days on a Sunday are always a shit show. On a brighter note saw two dickheads bully the shit out of beginner snowboarder in the lift line because he ran over their Skis. Real classy dudes bitching about their topsheets, made "freeride" skiers look real friendly today. If you care about your top sheets grow some balls if they are not getting chipped and banged just means aint trying new shit.

Finally decent conditions in verb. Sweet sugar above 2400 m, and not so much pressure on tracks since most people was looking at the xtreme.

Quote Originally Posted by verbier61 View Post
    Finally decent conditions in verb. Sweet sugar above 2400 m, and not so much pressure on tracks since most people was looking at the xtreme.
    Very sweet

Not mad at the conditions in Grands Montets this weekend ...

Quote Originally Posted by sqikunst View Post
    Pretty good snow today in Stubai... It was a double eject while straight lining. I think I did two full somersaults.
    Was a good day. esp for this season. That crash wasn't on the first run down the short t-bar on the daunferner side? Saw something just like that while waiting, looked like fun . Glad nothing major happend. Finally able to ride some stuff that has not been doable due to lack of snow this season. Now just for something like that on a weekday please