Page 469 of 821 FirstFirst ... 464 465 466 467 468 469 470 471 472 473 474 ... LastLast
Results 11,701 to 11,725 of 20518
    Quote Originally Posted by JRainey View Post
    Yeah, but the closest one is in Garmisch, I think. Maybe I can go for a day trip to there and loop back through IBK.
    Last year I did every shop in St Anton in search of Armada JJs and finally found and demo'd them at Kirschbaum (I think they're part of Jennewein). They were really friendly, and as far as I know the price was okay too...

They're located at the roundabout near the edge of the town. Just walk uphill through the main street and you'll end up at the roundabout. It's kinda close to that stadium they have their skishows at etc.

Slightly related, I'll be spending a couple weeks in St Anton this winter. First week is with parents so I'll be joining a group of the skischool to keep costs down, but then when my friends arrive the intention is to get a guide or something. Can anyone recommend any affordable people? Right now it's just me (skier) and 2 snowboarder friends, which limits our options as the skischool probably doesn't take mixed groups.

Any tips are welcome. We've all gone offpiste before, but our knowledge is limited, so we were hoping to learn about the mountains, safety and snow conditions from the guide we hire...

If anyone is in the same boat, let me know. There ARE groups that take both snowboarders and skiers, but at 100 something euro per day, that's steep. Price goes down by a lot if there's more people, of course. I'm there 9-16th of february, and then with friends 23feb until 9th of march

Cheers

if you want to learn about the mountains, i'd say start with Bruce Temper's staying alive in avalanche terrain, good book to get you going
    Quote Originally Posted by maloik View Post
    Last year I did every shop in St Anton in search of Armada JJs and finally found and demo'd them at Kirschbaum (I think they're part of Jennewein). They were really friendly, and as far as I know the price was okay too...

They're located at the roundabout near the edge of the town. Just walk uphill through the main street and you'll end up at the roundabout. It's kinda close to that stadium they have their skishows at etc.

Slightly related, I'll be spending a couple weeks in St Anton this winter. First week is with parents so I'll be joining a group of the skischool to keep costs down, but then when my friends arrive the intention is to get a guide or something. Can anyone recommend any affordable people? Right now it's just me (skier) and 2 snowboarder friends, which limits our options as the skischool probably doesn't take mixed groups.

Any tips are welcome. We've all gone offpiste before, but our knowledge is limited, so we were hoping to learn about the mountains, safety and snow conditions from the guide we hire...

If anyone is in the same boat, let me know. There ARE groups that take both snowboarders and skiers, but at 100 something euro per day, that's steep. Price goes down by a lot if there's more people, of course. I'm there 9-16th of february, and then with friends 23feb until 9th of march

Cheers
    i dont kare i carnt spell or youse punktuation properlee, im on a skiing forum

Any Euro mags in or around the Via Latta area? i'm out there in March with a couple of JONG mates, they've never skied before so its going to get pretty boring, some local know how could help out
    i dont kare i carnt spell or youse punktuation properlee, im on a skiing forum

Quote Originally Posted by Rossymcg View Post
    if you want to learn about the mountains, i'd say start with Bruce Temper's staying alive in avalanche terrain, good book to get you going
    thanks for the advice, ordered that right away

things might change for the powdery in the not too distant future
    It's a war of the mind and we're armed to the teeth.

I land in Geneva in 1 week.
    Please arrange for some fresh snow.
    Thank you.

Hmm, seems that buster called it... Definitely somewhat of a rehash from last year, and little to no precip for a least a week out.... I hope it dumps like last year, but with no spring pause in March, I'd love to have a full pow season....

For freeride knowledge in the alps: http://download.whiterisk.org/WRStor.../home/home.jsp (via SLF)

The alps have more than decent avy forecasts, which leads to a different strategy/ methodology how to make choices in avy terrain. Whiterisk should help you along with this.

Amatt on Sunday. Anyone?
    Always Fight Gravity

maybe...

Quote Originally Posted by maloik View Post

Cheers
    Try getting hold of Lukas Pichler or Martin Pichler, both work as guides in St. Anton and know their shit. I dont have their details but I'm sure google will help you out.

Quote Originally Posted by stantonbum1 View Post
    Try getting hold of Lukas Pichler or Martin Pichler, both work as guides in St. Anton and know their shit. I dont have their details but I'm sure google will help you out.
    funny, i have skied with martin and he´s an allaround great guide.

Hey, does anyone know the current state of the lifts in Verbier? Been getting alot of conflicting info around Cham...some saying weekends only, some saying everyday.. Also if any Cham guys here have a car and some space, theres a couple of us keen to go and could split petrol.
    Cheers

Verbier it's now open everyday. There is no bottom at all, though.... Or, wait a minute, maybe there is a decent bottom in some spots somewhere, but I have not found them yet :-(

Ah cheers mate, looks like a trip this week could be on the cards then if I can scrounge a lift. Haha well it wont take much to satisfy my interseason snow fix!

I'll be skiing in Zermatt from Tuesday to Thursday, if anybody's there and wants to show a PNW guy around that'd be cool.

Or just smash some brew, it's pretty much all good. I'm staying at the hostel in town.

Get ready for armageddon, whwilder! Unfortunately Zermatt doesn't have much in the way of treeskiing and I can't see them opening the lifts. Maybe skin in the direction of the Gornergrat and there might be some below treeline stuff?
    'waxman is correct, and so far with 40+ days of tasting them there is no way my tongue can tell the difference between wood, and plastic made to taste like wood...but i'm a weirdo and lick my gear...' -kidwoo

Quote Originally Posted by subtle plague View Post
    things might change for the powdery in the not too distant future
    and they have.
    forecast in german on www.powderguide.com

summary: up to 120-150cm in certain areas like simplon, ticino and alagna /via lattea
    widespread 50-80cm

and zermatt wont be fun. it might clear thursday afternoon...
    It's a war of the mind and we're armed to the teeth.

pft.
    we dont need more fresh snow. pistes are just perfect atm as they are! really!

Sounds like it's going to be nice in certain French, Swiss, and Italian Alps very soon. Heck even the Dolomites could get some. Good deal. Save some for me, bitte.
    "We don't beat the reaper by living longer, we beat the reaper by living well and living fully." - Randy Pausch

it's on the way nice order
    that's not bad...
    www.nosiesta.com
    IFMGA Ski & Mountain Guide

140-180cm is being called for in some areas in Tessin... wet and heavy, sounds like they'll be getting their base in one shot this time....

Dear Ullr, thanks for delivering on my snow request for my arrival.

See you in Les 4 Vallees this weekend, anyone around Nendaz/Verbier?

Let's 'shred' as the the kids say.

Ski teacher Course in Airolo from Dec 10...it's not shaping up too bad!!
    Always Fight Gravity