Page 476 of 821 FirstFirst ... 471 472 473 474 475 476 477 478 479 480 481 ... LastLast
Results 11,876 to 11,900 of 20516
    Quote Originally Posted by Buster Highmen View Post
    What's the word on MonteRosaSki? Did they get some base out of the last 2 weeks?
    Reports have been pretty solid. In the 2nd to last cycle they got seriously dumped on, but freezing levels were around 2,000m. In the last cycle they will have had a whack more (not as much as France/Suisse though), and it snowed low down, but coverage might still be a bit iffy low down.
    'waxman is correct, and so far with 40+ days of tasting them there is no way my tongue can tell the difference between wood, and plastic made to taste like wood...but i'm a weirdo and lick my gear...' -kidwoo

Quote Originally Posted by subtle plague View Post
    it WILL rain high. especially where its not sheltered like cham, or nw switz. I would bet it stays a lot lower in cour and valais.
    Just to confirm, you reckon Cour? I saw the winds shifting to SW round there which kicks up the foehn and normally buries Cour, but so tight on the 0 isotherm on this one.
    'waxman is correct, and so far with 40+ days of tasting them there is no way my tongue can tell the difference between wood, and plastic made to taste like wood...but i'm a weirdo and lick my gear...' -kidwoo

Who's rocking Verb this WE?

Sent from my ST18i using TGR Forums

What's the word on MonteRosaSki? Did they get some base out of the last 2 weeks?
    Based. 150cm in quota, 40cm in valley. Sweet powder through the trees with variable/crusty above due to the high winds that blew through right after the last snow. Off piste skiing down to 1500m, no problem. Snowing again now, snow through the weekend until tuesday. As always on the rosa, staying out of the wind is key. But already more snow than this-time-last-year. I'll be up there full time from the 24th until May. Polvere!

Ayas- good to year. To me, there's few better places in the world when conditions are good!

^^ That's better left unspoken...

unfortunately that is not very often

and ulty yes aosta may be a good hideout for the storm. cour should be alright. no rain.
    new powderalarm on powderguide.com (german only sorry).

france should go of as i said a few postings above la grave and orcieres have already got 30-40cm and part of the ecrins up to 90cm ! plus 1-1,5m still due until Tuesday.
    It's a war of the mind and we're armed to the teeth.

Quote Originally Posted by subtle plague View Post
    unfortunately that is not very often

and ulty yes aosta may be a good hideout for the storm. cour should be alright. no rain.
    new powderalarm on powderguide.com (german only sorry).

france should go of as i said a few postings above la grave and orcieres have already got 30-40cm and part of the ecrins up to 90cm ! plus 1-1,5m still due until Tuesday.
    Oh yes a good call to make Ski ya there
    that's not bad...
    www.nosiesta.com
    IFMGA Ski & Mountain Guide

Quote Originally Posted by Incompetent Boob View Post

Not me this time, but mulletizer is in, you might pm him

Hi everyone - New Yorker here with a question about vacation weeks in Europe. I'm heading to Verbier and Val d'Isere the first week in March. Is that a vacation week and will it be crowded everywhere? I'm hearing it's a vacation week in France at least. Staying with a friend who lives in Verbier, but will likely need to find something in Val, but most things are pretty full. Thanks!

Thatcher, the first week and in certain cases until the 18th is "ski break", so that should help explain why it is so busy in Val.
    Enjoy
    Blondin
    that's not bad...
    www.nosiesta.com

First week of march = 2/3 of french kids are in vacation. Probably the busiest week of the season.
    Vibes.
    OTOH, I may be there too. Because I've kids and can't choose their holiday schedule...
    "Typically euro, french in particular, in my opinion. It's the same skiing or climbing there. They are completely unfazed by their own assholeness. Like it's normal." - srsosbso

Quote Originally Posted by Thatcher View Post
    Hi everyone - New Yorker here with a question about vacation weeks in Europe. I'm heading to Verbier and Val d'Isere the first week in March. Is that a vacation week and will it be crowded everywhere? I'm hearing it's a vacation week in France at least. Staying with a friend who lives in Verbier, but will likely need to find something in Val, but most things are pretty full. Thanks!
    Mmmmh carnival is mid february this year so your spot might not be that bad in verb

Quote Originally Posted by Marius View Post
    nope. maybe next season...

ehm, did you ski the 1.rinne or in the Latschen/trees? pretty scary run for lws 3. just to mention...
    btw: yesterday: http://mariusschwager.com/2012/12/12...in-den-schnee/
    I don't know the name, hike up maybe 50 metres form the park, drop off the back, cut left very quickly after it narrows, onto a track, then into the trees soon after (other people had carried on skiing down the tighter section after we cut left, is that one of the routes you mention?).

Yeah, a slide there, particularly where it narrows, would not be nice at all. Snow seemed pretty stable though at the time. There'd been some small slips down the face above, I think from the day before as they didn't look particularly fresh. Stayed away from several rollovers/convexities I didn't like the look of and got through the narrower bit as quick as. Damn good snow, decided not to go again later when things warmed up though, there's a lot of stuff above...

Cham wow potential for me late Jan...should I push the mouse button?
    Merde De Glace On the Freak When Ski
    >>>200 cm Black Bamboo Sidewalled DPS Lotus 120 : Best Skis Ever <<<

Hugh Conway Guest
    Mais Oui.

Me and another mag will be slightly south in an area where you've been before (and provided me some info recently) if you decide to revisit it.

So far so good, freezing level is still low, all the terrain opens up today, Christmas punters aren't here yet.....GAME ON!

Quote Originally Posted by rrmiller View Post

So far so good, freezing level is still low, all the terrain opens up today, Christmas punters aren't here yet.....GAME ON!
    live it up while u can they are on the way...
    that's not bad...
    www.nosiesta.com

I'm planning a long weekend somewhere in France at the end of Jan. Was thinking a little S of Cham but am open to persuasion
    fur bearing, drunk, prancing eurosnob

Quote Originally Posted by coldwater View Post
    I don't know the name, hike up maybe 50 metres form the park, drop off the back, cut left very quickly after it narrows, onto a track, then into the trees soon after (other people had carried on skiing down the tighter section after we cut left, is that one of the routes you mention?).

Yeah, a slide there, particularly where it narrows, would not be nice at all. Snow seemed pretty stable though at the time. There'd been some small slips down the face above, I think from the day before as they didn't look particularly fresh. Stayed away from several rollovers/convexities I didn't like the look of and got through the narrower bit as quick as. Damn good snow, decided not to go again later when things warmed up though, there's a lot of stuff above...
    just to mention: a slide would send you probably down to Ibk citycenter... be careful with this one. But you did realize the weak connection to the older snowlayers? well, i decided to stay somewhere not so exposed.

Quote Originally Posted by Incompetent Boob View Post

Considering going up tomorrow but the "vent tempetueux" reported by meteo suisse is pouring cold water on my powder fires. Bruson could be a good option if the snow line stayed above 1000m.

My girlfriend told me to go skiing, so I did. It was awesome. Then there was drinking, much drinking.

Quote Originally Posted by rrmiller View Post
    My girlfriend told me to go skiing, so I did. It was awesome. Then there was drinking, much drinking.

Ok. Looks like genuine POW complete with gapers down - gotta be good! :-)

Quote Originally Posted by ulty_guy View Post
    Just to confirm, you reckon Cour? I saw the winds shifting to SW round there which kicks up the foehn and normally buries Cour, but so tight on the 0 isotherm on this one.
    How did this turn out?

Looks like good cover down at 1000m....just need big thighs to hike up the aiguille... :-)