Page 664 of 813 FirstFirst ... 659 660 661 662 663 664 665 666 667 668 669 ... LastLast
Results 16,576 to 16,600 of 20323
    I am heading to Verbier next week. I typically ski 160cm, 102mm underfoot - women skis (as I am short and light). Which ski rental shop in Verbier would you say
    has the widest selection of skis.

Thx
    Marty

Thanks for the tips on trees. Looks like snow coming Friday in western Tyrol. Any recommendations of resorts for the weekend that have a good combination of trees with alpine. Ischgl? Stubai?

Quote Originally Posted by phatty View Post
    Thanks for the tips on trees. Looks like snow coming Friday in western Tyrol. Any recommendations of resorts for the weekend that have a good combination of trees with alpine. Ischgl? Stubai?
    Both of those are mostly alpine.
    If the snow line is low enough, Schlick2000, Axamer Lizum by Innsbruck or Kappl/See up the Paznaunertal or Montafon further west.
    Merde De Glace On the Freak When Ski
    >>>200 cm Black Bamboo Sidewalled DPS Lotus 120 : Best Skis Ever <<<

Quote Originally Posted by subtle plague View Post
    Next week might see a change for the better from the current 2 week drought pattern.

Still not safe so keep offering virgins and/or hot Swedish skier chicks / bros (depending on your inclination) to ullr.
    @subtle: where to go? southwest of the alps? I for once have a week off and would like to use the week-end to position myself for possible snow coming in. Do you think we will see a "powderalarm" or will it be to warm?

Between a rock and a soft place. Aberdare and The Brecon Beacons, Wales
    Quote Originally Posted by LeoK View Post
    @subtle: where to go? southwest of the alps? I for once have a week off and would like to use the week-end to position myself for possible snow coming in. Do you think we will see a "powderalarm" or will it be to warm?
    I'm heading to Madesimo, Italy on Thursday 07 March.

The snow I ordered is arriving from Monday

https://www.snow-forecast.com/resorts/Madesimo/6day/top

Quote Originally Posted by kathleenturneroverdrive View Post
    It must be help Americans go to Europe day cause I have a similar question:

My wife and I land in Zurich on the 20th. Trip was a present for her 40th. I was thinking of doing Engelberg/Andermatt but she’s not up for long tours (short tours are a yes) wants to ski steep big pow runs, has no interest in no fall zones, and wouldn’t be stoked if we had to wait out storm days in town because there’s no tree skiing.

Add that all up and I’m leaning towards just spending the week based in St. Anton. Seems like it’ll tick all the boxes, give us a shit ton of variety on the hill and in town and travel is way easier if we just go there.

Am I off on that assumption? Anywhere else reasonably close to Zurich to consider (that Buster hasn’t already graciously mentioned)?
    Andermatt got everything you’ve asked for except a decent forest, though there are some shrubs when the visability is nil, one place not mentioned yet is Lenzerheide (with extensive five star on and off piste skiing).

Skickat från min iPhone med Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by MrPow View Post
    I am heading to Verbier next week. I typically ski 160cm, 102mm underfoot - women skis (as I am short and light). Which ski rental shop in Verbier would you say
    has the widest selection of skis.

Thx
    Marty
    Ski Service or Mountain Air. Try the Blizzard Rustler 10’s from Ski Service Ruinettes branch and they’ll store your gear for free over night. You may even want to go wider eg DPS Wailer 112’s as there should be fresh snow next week. They have a good stock of DPS, Factions, Blizzard, Kaestle, Scott, Head etc if those are brands that float your boat.

Quote Originally Posted by Buster Highmen View Post
    Both of those are mostly alpine.
    If the snow line is low enough, Schlick2000, Axamer Lizum by Innsbruck or Kappl/See up the Paznaunertal or Montafon further west.
    Tree skiing in Montafon is great, and the big mountain terrain is surprisingly good too. See this instagram account for what locals get up to: https://www.instagram.com/p/BtJgM6ylvlt/
    Very few people interested in skiing off piste there as well, so much easier to get your share compared to St Anton down the road.

Quote Originally Posted by JackSkier View Post
    Tree skiing in Montafon is great, and the big mountain terrain is surprisingly good too. See this instagram account for what locals get up to: https://www.instagram.com/p/BtJgM6ylvlt/
    Very few people interested in skiing off piste there as well, so much easier to get your share compared to St Anton down the road.
    And also Gargellen down the road, from which you can also skin into Switzerland.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1107.JPG 
Views:	59 
Size:	228.6 KB 
ID:	271645

Meanwhile, taking advantage of t-shirt weather while we’ve got it...

Thanks for the tip. Looks like Montafon is forecasting rain on Friday with 1100m freezing levels. Kappl/Ischgl is forecasting snow. Both are about the same distance, so I'm leaning towards the snow. Looks like my timing is off by a week, but I know Germany holidays are starting soon.

Thanks for the tip. Looks like Montafon is forecasting rain on Friday with 1100m freezing levels. Kappl/Ischgl is forecasting snow. Both are about the same distance, so I'm leaning towards the snow. Looks like my timing is off by a week, but I know Germany holidays are starting soon.
    Montafon base is 700 at Schruns, Garfresha is 980, top is 2400.

Buster, I sent you a PM.

Quote Originally Posted by LeoK View Post
    Well ill be bouldering until monday. Those 20cm on friday (or maybe 30cm sonewhere in the west) do not reall mitigate the drought.

From tuesdy onward the north west or western alps seem to have better Chances of snow. Still Super uncertain. The main models have huuge differences in ammouts an region ftom tuesday on... Ill decide on sun/mon. I got everything in the rv.

Gesendet von meinem BLA-L29 mit Tapatalk
    It's a war of the mind and we're armed to the teeth.

Thank you so much. We will keep it open till last minute in this case but depart with a tendency to the west.

I have to get my van/ rv back...

Trees under Zamangbahn are very good also and should be ok with 1000m freezing level.

Megeve also a very charming, albeit expensive, village. Another option in that area and therefore an easy trip from Cham is Les Contamines. Not as charming a village as Megeve, but tends to hold or get more snow than Megeve.

Trees under Zamangbahn are very good also and should be ok with 1000m freezing level.
    Alright I'm booked into Montafon for the weekend. If any mags are around Friday or Saturday, I'd love to meet up. I'm solo for the two days and staying in Schruns. If you aren't going to be around, but have beta on the resorts and best ways to play it, I'd love to hear it.

guys, looking for some insights. as this is my last winter in the EU i ave a few more places i have on my list to cram in before its all over. Looking to drive out of paris tomorrow afternoon and go to 1 of 2 places, val danninvers (grimentz/zinal etc) or Courmayeur.
    Courmayeur may seem to make more sense as its smaller for a 2 day trip (back sunday night) but am worried about how hot its been. That place may be cooked more than zinal? Any insights here. both are decent drives so i am trying to maximize my time, ride some decent snow and not waste a weekend wishing i had gone somewhere else....both look to geta bit of snow tomorrow but each forecast is wildly different.

I have more flex next weekend and will pull a longer weekend then. but this weekend its a weekend warrior type thing

Quote Originally Posted by shafty85 View Post
    We arrive in Chamonix on Mar 2 (through London and Geneva) and we stay there until Mar 9.
    If you see a big, goofy Canadian flailing around, stop and say hi. I'll be up there March 5, 6, and 7.

Quote Originally Posted by ecsjones View Post
    guys, looking for some insights. as this is my last winter in the EU i ave a few more places i have on my list to cram in before its all over. Looking to drive out of paris tomorrow afternoon and go to 1 of 2 places, val danninvers (grimentz/zinal etc) or Courmayeur.
    Courmayeur may seem to make more sense as its smaller for a 2 day trip (back sunday night) but am worried about how hot its been. That place may be cooked more than zinal? Any insights here. both are decent drives so i am trying to maximize my time, ride some decent snow and not waste a weekend wishing i had gone somewhere else....both look to geta bit of snow tomorrow but each forecast is wildly different.

I have more flex next weekend and will pull a longer weekend then. but this weekend its a weekend warrior type thing
    Can't speak to courmayeur, but Val danninvers will be cooked pretty good I imagine.

There's lots of good north facing lines from both grimentz and zinal but they all funnel down into the valley and back to grimentz on flat(ish) roads. Anything not north facing will be cooked. Probably can score good corn coming down the west side of zinal above the lac - after ski down to the dam and out on the road.

Sent from my FRD-L09 using Tapatalk

Good to know, thanks! Next week is looking better ....we shall see...
    Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Don't Surf View Post
    Can't speak to courmayeur, but Val danninvers will be cooked pretty good I imagine.

There's lots of good north facing lines from both grimentz and zinal but they all funnel down into the valley and back to grimentz on flat(ish) roads. Anything not north facing will be cooked. Probably can score good corn coming down the west side of zinal above the lac - after ski down to the dam and out on the road.

Sent from my FRD-L09 using Tapatalk

Sorry das this late, second pretty much everything buster said in regards to Innsbruck area. Stubai glacier has very little to no tree skiing, to high.

Looks like Salzburgerland is not going to get much snow next week.

Return of the pow in the West. Woot woot!