Page 432 of 820 FirstFirst ... 427 428 429 430 431 432 433 434 435 436 437 ... LastLast
Results 10,776 to 10,800 of 20483
    Who cares...what skis?

Quote Originally Posted by Hayduke View Post
    I'm speechless.

What camera are you heaving up the mountains Marius?
    #1 goal this year......stay alive +
    DOWN SKIS

Quote Originally Posted by patxi View Post
    Yesterday
    One more

Probably a re-run, but holy holy holy shit:
    http://server.fca.at/KaltenbergLawine.pdf
    Ein Berg ohne Absturzgefahr ist nur noch Attrappe. (Reinhold Messner)

Quote Originally Posted by Franz Klammer View Post
    Probably a re-run, but holy holy holy shit:
    http://server.fca.at/KaltenbergLawine.pdf
    New to me.

Check it out guys.

800m propagation length, 200m width (or was it 300m?) and a 2.5-5m crown.

Yikes!

Last couple of weeks in Tyrol (treeskiing edition, sun&pow edition coming at some point). It is in Finnish too, BONUS POINTS!?

^^ siiiiiikkaaaaaaaa!

Quote Originally Posted by Hayduke View Post
    I'm speechless.
    What camera are you heaving up the mountains Marius?
    40d. nothing really special. quite heavy compared to a pocketcam, but quite light compared to the big+expensive ones.

Limone Piemonte?
    Any body ski there? Know where to get tracks or check out first thing Sunday?
    It's pretty close to me here in Sanremo but they haven't had any real snow yet this year so I haven't been yet, this low front coming in is supposed to dump on them thru Sunday. I can train up Sat, have a good evening there, get tracks on Sunday and be back home by dark. Saves renting a car and driving 5 hours up to Aosta like I've been doing lately.
    Isola 2000 is a little taller but doesn't have a train station, so I'd have to rent a car for that. $200 car rental vs $15 for train.

Quote Originally Posted by BerettaRacer View Post
    Limone Piemonte?
    Any body ski there? Know where to get tracks or check out first thing Sunday?
    It's pretty close to me here in Sanremo but they haven't had any real snow yet this year so I haven't been yet, this low front coming in is supposed to dump on them thru Sunday. I can train up Sat, have a good evening there, get tracks on Sunday and be back home by dark. Saves renting a car and driving 5 hours up to Aosta like I've been doing lately.
    Isola 2000 is a little taller but doesn't have a train station, so I'd have to rent a car for that. $200 car rental vs $15 for train.
    Consider Abries, Serre Chevalier, Mont Geneve.

Quote Originally Posted by keksie View Post
    Last couple of weeks in Tyrol (treeskiing edition, sun&pow edition coming at some point). It is in Finnish too, BONUS POINTS!?

woods + pow = kikkas

Looks pretty deep and fluffy.

Maybe consider Hungarian subtitles.
    Last edited by jumpturn; 01-27-2012 at 10:32 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by jumpturn View Post
    Consider Abries, Serre Chevalier, Mont Geneve.
    All those require a 3 day car rental plus travel time & expenses, that avgs $1000 per weekend, I know I've been renting/traveling four out of the last six weekends. Done Val d'Isere/Tignes, Verbier, Cervinia, Courmayeur (twice), & la Thuile. Limone is $15 on the train. LOL

Now, next couple of months after this are different. After next week I'm on vacation, have a full time leased car, and don't have to be back at work on Monday. I WILL be traveling and skiing extended periods now that I know my way around the area a bit.

Besides, snow-guess is forcasting 75cm at Limone by Sunday.
    Last edited by BerettaRacer; 01-27-2012 at 09:48 AM.

Avie death in Andermatt; wet slab broke off of Felsental E wall near the exit, swept some guy into the creek. 10:30 or so. We passed through around 9:20, but stayed high on right (W) side.

Clouds and cold moving in this afternoon. Did Urneralp then right Giraffe (?). awesome big pow lines, spicey exit couloir.
    Merde De Glace On the Freak When Ski
    >>>200 cm Black Bamboo Sidewalled DPS Lotus 120 : Best Skis Ever <<<

aaahhh, kahen kilo pulverschneeeeeeee-siiikaaa!

warum nicht auch pyyyydaressi-special-edition?

freak~[&]

Quote Originally Posted by Buster Highmen View Post
    Did Urneralp then right Giraffe (?). awesome big pow lines, spicey exit couloir.
    Let's see the photo evidence....

Hey, we are three scandis arriwing in a-matt saturday and planning on staying a couple of days. Any pointers on where to stay?

All those require a 3 day car rental plus travel time & expenses, that avgs $1000 per weekend, I know I've been renting/traveling four out of the last six weekends. Done Val d'Isere/Tignes, Verbier, Cervinia, Courmayeur (twice), & la Thuile. Limone is $15 on the train. LOL

Now, next couple of months after this are different. After next week I'm on vacation, have a full time leased car, and don't have to be back at work on Monday. I WILL be traveling and skiing extended periods now that I know my way around the area a bit.

Besides, snow-guess is forcasting 75cm at Limone by Sunday.

Quote Originally Posted by J2Ski
    Limone Piemonte, Italy (1030m to 2050m)

Limone is one of Italy's oldest Alpine ski areas, having welcomed skiers from the earliest days of the sport. It is a very picturesque old village centred around its twelfth-century church and other old buildings. Located a few kilometres from the French border it is equidistant from Nice and Turin. Only an hour's drive from the sea, the whole area has a very Mediterranean/'Real Italy' feel, with narrow cobbled streets, usually lively nightlife and gourmet food available. The ski area is very extensive, although the altitude latitude mix can make snow cover unpredictable at the season's ends. Over the past decade there's been a huge investment in new lifts with almost all of the 20 or so former drag lifts replaced by high capacity chairlifts and a fast modern gondola.
    http://www.j2ski.com/snow_forecast/I...ow_report.html

30% open is more than enough base....

At least you won't be out too many ducats betting on snowguess!

Maybe it's time to master the bus!

30% open is more than enough base....
    75cm fresh + rock skis = base

Besides I grew up right alongside you, Maine, (and probably many years before you) base is usually 2-3" of blue ice mixed with snow dust, LOL, or as they say "New England loud powder" (Probably was skiing Sugarloaf, Wildcat, The River, Attitash and Canon etc. before you were born)

I know, I know, here it's grass and rocks because it's been so warm.

But the original question is what part of the mountain to head to before the locals track it out.

Aika jees!

Wish we'd have treeskiing like that on this side of the pass. The runs tend to be a bit short and the trees too many

Old news.
    Olux is still about 8 hours each way by train and they haven't had shit for snow yet this year either. Besides can get there late on a Fri but no way to get back Sun night. My job doesn't allow me to be that far out of contact without possibility of return in emergency. Thats why it's been easier to rent a car for the weekends and drive the 5 hrs up to the Aosta area and branch out from there, but it gets real tiring and expensive. Even from Verb if the grunts doing my job while I'm gone called with a problem I can be back in SanRemo in 6 hrs, day or night. And yes, my jobs that important, thats why I get paid 24 hrs a day, 7 days a week, 365!! $$ ka-ching!!

Less turns = more fun

Morning well spent

Longone, thats the skiers right side of the Swiss Wall no? If so wife and I watched those lines go in yesterday. We put some of those lines in just below you. Sweet day indeed.

Quote Originally Posted by philth View Post
    Longone, thats the skiers right side of the Swiss Wall no? If so wife and I watched those lines go in yesterday. We put some of those lines in just below you. Sweet day indeed.
    Yep! So you probably saw us then Two pretty tall guys - the middle two photos in my post on the previous page are mid descent - the first is chute on looker's right, the second is the main one on looker's left

Really stoked i took the day off

But the original question is what part of the mountain to head to before the locals track it out.
    I've only spent a couple of days there last winter. If you can see, it will become pretty obvious where to head. Best bet is to head to the lift in the center (the one that ends at 2050 m). Go straight off that lift and you'll see the valley that head back down from there (skiers left). Do that a couple of times but it will probably get tracked out pretty fast. There are also a couple of entance points to that same valley from the ridge (look up and to the right when you are skiing the valley and scope it out).

It can also be good in those trees on the map below the 2050 point that slope down towards Limone 1400 (don't drop too low and the creek crossing at the bottom may be a bitch).

Enjoy.

Then head over to the place where the French Flags (on the map) are and head out the trail that goes past the restaurant towards the old abandoned forts. Climb up to the fort on the left and then traverse far skiers left and ski that terrain. Repeat.

Eat lunch at the little restaurant near the "20" on that map above. Order "Polenta Fonduta". If you are there for two days, you can eat at that place near where the french flags are on the map. Order "Polenta Salsiccia".

For dinner, eat at "Ristorante La Diligenza" and eat meat. It's a small place in the center of Limone Piemonte proper. You'll smell the smoke as you are walking around.

Quote Originally Posted by patxi View Post
    I've only spent a couple of days there last winter. If you can see, it will become pretty obvious where to head. Best bet is to head to the lift in the center (the one that ends at 2050 m). Go straight off that lift and you'll see the valley that head back down from there (skiers left). Do that a couple of times but it will probably get tracked out pretty fast. There are also a couple of entance points to that same valley from the ridge (look up and to the right when you are skiing the valley and scope it out).

It can also be good in those trees on the map below the 2050 point that slope down towards Limone 1400 (don't drop too low and the creek crossing at the bottom may be a bitch).

Enjoy.

Then head over to the place where the French Flags (on the map) are and head out the trail that goes past the restaurant towards the old abandoned forts. Climb up to the fort on the left and then traverse far skiers left and ski that terrain. Repeat.

Eat lunch at the little restaurant near the "20" on that map above. Order "Polenta Fonduta". If you are there for two days, you can eat at that place near where the french flags are on the map. Order "Polenta Salsiccia".

For dinner, eat at "Ristorante La Diligenza" and eat meat. It's a small place in the center of Limone Piemonte proper. You'll smell the smoke as you are walking around.
    Thx for the info. I had seen pictures of the old fort when I did a search, looks cool. Just didn't know if that was where to head for fresh. Saw way over on skiers right, right of the gondola, theres a long black working down, had thought about starting there, but I'll head for center and left if thats better.
    Right now only planning a day trip, but if trains stop moving I may just happen to get stranded, lol.