Page 714 of 821 FirstFirst ... 709 710 711 712 713 714 715 716 717 718 719 ... LastLast
Results 17,826 to 17,850 of 20506
    Pouring rain in The Valley, supposed to do so for two days.
    Good news is I found my way on to race crew for the upcoming downhills.
    Should be fun to watch the worlds best fly by at 120kmh

Yesterday was a good day.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20210127_120624_BURST072.jpeg 
Views:	103 
Size:	82.4 KB 
ID:	360163Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20210127_101844_2.jpeg 
Views:	108 
Size:	55.4 KB 
ID:	360164
    It's a war of the mind and we're armed to the teeth.

Ooooo, where dat? Feldberg or somewhere close?

Skiing in St. Anton as good as over. Authorities are throwing out non-permanent residents. THANK YOU FUCKING SKI BUMPS!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Alkares View Post
    Ooooo, where dat? Feldberg or somewhere close?
    I could tell you, but then I'd have to kill you.

Forecast doesn't seem to be cooperating in the foreseeable future. So Badisch Columbia may go back to it's ten year hibernation anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by roQer View Post
    Skiing in St. Anton as good as over. Authorities are throwing out non-permanent residents. THANK YOU FUCKING SKI BUMPS!!!
    Why? What's happening?
    Skiing is good in the Pyrenees

Sent from my Redmi Note 8 Pro using Tapatalk

Snow for the Euros.

Quote Originally Posted by rod9301 View Post
    Why? What's happening?
    Skiing is good in the Pyrenees

Sent from my Redmi Note 8 Pro using Tapatalk
    Ski bumps sneaked in despite touristic lockdown, gathered and made party in the ski area and private space. This made big news in Austria and Germany. Politics had to take action and now local authorities are throwing everybody out besides permanent residents or necessary seasonal workers. They shut down some of the few still operating lifts as well.

4 dead in 3 separate avalanches on saturday in the Sellrain/northern stubai region, and one in Gastein. Multiple other incidents without fatalities but with search efforts due to unclear situation. Rough weekend in AT for the search and rescue people (and in general).
    Ich bitte dich nur, weck mich nicht.

Another victim today at Kellerjoch. Sad for all involved, this was a bad weekend. Kühtai was crazy busy, and never seen so many choppers in one place at one time. And poeple were acting stupid, going right into the areas where a chopper was trying to drop rescue off.

Sunday was the opposite, not expecting anything still found very mellow untracked late into the afternoon

Name:	st_1.jpg 
Views:	77 
Size:	142.4 KB 
ID:	360799

People have been dieing all over the place. 17 so far in Switz. That's basically the average of a normal season. And we Still have half a season to go.
    Last edited by subtle plague; 02-02-2021 at 02:42 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by subtle plague View Post
    People have been dieing all over the place. 17 so fa 8n Switz. That's basically the average of a normal season. And we Still have half a season to go.
    Yep 2 big ones Sunday afternoon here after the sun shine all day. Good post by Xavier de le Rue about the risks this season

https://www.instagram.com/p/CKwZ3_MB...d=hom26rk8ucvq

Worst winter in recorded history here in Northern Norway this season. Cold and ridiculously dry; we got 0,5 mm of precipitation in january. Hardly any more in december, and it's looking like february brings more of the same. I've had three ski days this season, basically skiing shrubbery and shit. Oh, what have we done to offend Ullr?

This is the massive Attelas slide

Name:	IMG_7602.jpg 
Views:	103 
Size:	2.08 MB 
ID:	360891

Name:	IMG_7599.jpg 
Views:	111 
Size:	1.70 MB 
ID:	360892

Name:	IMG_7618.jpg 
Views:	89 
Size:	1.17 MB 
ID:	360893

Lucky kid saved by his airbag

Name:	IMG_7605.jpg 
Views:	84 
Size:	2.19 MB 
ID:	360894

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Skiing terrain like that when it’s a level four is just crazy! Sometimes I think the worst part of people’s avalanche education is them thinking the can outsmart the snow!

hoolyy shit. big one. and going in there with a 4? wow that's some serious death wish.

Seriously, I don’t like to publicly second guess decision making but WTF?!

especially this year where skier traffic and tracks do nothing to help with the novem,ber layer. and every snowfall just adds some load to that layer.... brr.

edi:t sometimes it's ok to call out stupid ideas. Hell, i ski on the munter limit most times, but not with deep instabilities AND LEVEL FUCKING 4! (edit2: it wasnt but the deep layer adds extra spice). If I know it's only the new snow I tend to push it a bit, but this is totally unpredictable and HUGE. so you can't mange anything with terrain choices and so on as you can do in a typical "new snow level 3".

edit2: well technically level 4 stopped a few km before verbier, but still... not the best idea.

especially this year where skier traffic and tracks do nothing to help with the novem,ber layer. and every snowfall just adds some load to that layer.... brr.

edi:t sometimes it's ok to call out stupid ideas. Hell, i ski on the munter limit most times, but not with deep instabilities AND LEVEL FUCKING 4! (edit2: it wasnt but the deep layer adds extra spice). If I know it's only the new snow I tend to push it a bit, but this is totally unpredictable and HUGE. so you can't mange anything with terrain choices and so on as you can do in a typical "new snow level 3".

edit2: well technically level 4 stopped a few km before verbier, but still... not the best idea.
    I agree with you, but want to point out that 2, maybe 3 of the recent fatal incidents in AT were not on terrain that is very obviously risky in the way that stuff in Verbier is.

I would consider those incidents examples of how even pretty reasonable routes can go wrong in bad conditions if you are a few meters left or right of the flattest possible corridor to where you're going. Way more of a reality check for me personally than the super obvious "WTF are they thinking" incidents, since I can make some pretty reasonable guesses as to what they might have been thinking and might have thought the same in some cases.

Quote Originally Posted by klar View Post
    I agree with you, but want to point out that 2, maybe 3 of the recent fatal incidents in AT were not on terrain that is very obviously risky in the way that stuff in Verbier is.

I would consider those incidents examples of how even pretty reasonable routes can go wrong in bad conditions if you are a few meters left or right of the flattest possible corridor to where you're going. Way more of a reality check for me personally than the super obvious "WTF are they thinking" incidents, since I can make some pretty reasonable guesses as to what they might have been thinking and might have thought the same in some cases.
    The risk from others is very high this year. This one was triggered from Kamikaze which is rarely skied (it had 2 tracks in) but would have buried anyone skiing the left hand exit of the very popular 3 fingers couloir which was completely tracked out. Same for the Creblet slide, caused by a group traversing the high sunny slope, but putting at risk anyone in the standard route which was a mogul field. Fortunately these both happened end of day (sun effect?) and there was no one underneath but that was pure luck

no of course not.
    I was just referring to the Verbier incident. The Sellrain one in Austria seems really tragic. I hope my original post was clear on that?

Quote Originally Posted by Adrgha View Post
    Worst winter in recorded history here in Northern Norway this season. Cold and ridiculously dry; we got 0,5 mm of precipitation in january. Hardly any more in december, and it's looking like february brings more of the same. I've had three ski days this season, basically skiing shrubbery and shit. Oh, what have we done to offend Ullr?
    Feast or famine the last couple years, eh?

Probably pretty obvious but this is largely due to the boom of “free ride” skiing. In the past few years since I came back to yurp I have seen tracks in the first two hours of opening in places we used to give days to settle. Add in a clusterfuck of people dropping in above you, standing five deep in start zones and just general poor judgement as well as a general ignorance or disregard for avalanche protocol.
    So not surprising and I don’t see it changing anytime soon. Good thing I’m not so young and eager to prove anything anymore!

no of course not.
    I was just referring to the Verbier incident. The Sellrain one in Austria seems really tragic. I hope my original post was clear on that?
    yeah totally, i was just thinking out loud. everything everyone has said about the freeride boom and too many overeager people dropping in on each other (and people below in mogul fields) is true. just wanted to say that not all accidents are a result of that. the very tricky snow pack in many regions is also catching the older, presumably more experienced demographic off guard on relatively "conservative" (debatable, of course) routes.

Quote Originally Posted by NWFlow View Post
    Feast or famine the last couple years, eh?
    Yes, I expected that we'd have to pay dearly for last year, but not this much..

yeah totally, i was just thinking out loud. everything everyone has said about the freeride boom and too many overeager people dropping in on each other (and people below in mogul fields) is true. just wanted to say that not all accidents are a result of that. the very tricky snow pack in many regions is also catching the older, presumably more experienced demographic off guard on relatively "conservative" (debatable, of course) routes.
    Yep, some of the slides here have been in places where I can understand people dropping in. We were super conservation after seeing the slide under the Kaiserbahn. Completely emotional reaction when deciding not to go into areas on the opposite side of the valley that had completely different sun effects. On another day I may be would have skied other stuff.
    What I don't get is people dropping in to zones where there is an ongoing rescue operation with choppers, just darting right under. If that isn't a clear signal to may be give it a miss for the day, I don't know what is.