Page 728 of 813 FirstFirst ... 723 724 725 726 727 728 729 730 731 732 733 ... LastLast
Results 18,176 to 18,200 of 20323
    https://www.bergfex.at/stanton-stchristoph/wetter/berg/

https://www.bergfex.ch/andermatt-obe...n/wetter/berg/

https://www.bergfex.ch/davos-parsenn/wetter/berg/

Its worth the click!

Houston we got a base!
    Hope the depth hoar from the last snowfalls will be ok...

Checking in from Kroneplatz. Looking good for late November

Quote Originally Posted by Tectonically_Neglected View Post
    I think the yellow routes are all avy controlled. Most of the time they are just left alone by piste bullies/ grooming machines.
    Freeride zones allow freeriding but are generally not avy controlled. Essentially, everything outside of the actual groomers isn't avy controlled here. Inbounds/ outbounds does not exist.
    This is not quite accurate.

Many off piste areas are avie controlled, because they are above groomed trails.

Sent from my moto g 5G using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by rod9301 View Post
    This is not quite accurate.

Many off piste areas are avie controlled, because they are above groomed trails.
    True.

Now where's Pyrenees stoke? It's dumping there I read.
    Merde De Glace On the Freak When Ski
    >>>200 cm Black Bamboo Sidewalled DPS Lotus 120 : Best Skis Ever <<<

Quote Originally Posted by Buster Highmen View Post
    True.

Now where's Pyrenees stoke? It's dumping there I read.
    I'm still in California, leaving end of December for the pyrenees , kids finishing school here.

But yeah, 1.5 meters by the end of this week, and snowing every day next week.

Ski area opening next weekend.

Sent from my moto g 5G using Tapatalk

Hey all, question for the Euros, or those more familiar than me...fingers crossed heading on a 2 year postponed trip to the Alps in March/April. We are starting in Alagna and ending in Engelberg. Looking to not rent a car, but having trouble finding the best way to get from Alagna to Andermatt. Traveling with the wife and will have a ski bag to schlep, any beta on best private car transfers, or group shuttles? Plan is private shuttle to and from airports on both ends, but the travel day in the middle is the crux..Appreciate any beta and pray for snow! We all need a good year! thanks
    "If you're gonna be dumb, you gotta be tough."

Alagna is isolated and hard to get into and out of. There are busses, but it's Italy.
    Having a car for an extended period in Alagna is a waste.

I don't know what your budget is or how long you plan to stay in Alagna, but consider a taxi.

I'd try to make arrangements with your hotel to get a ride from Varallo train station and back IF the Varallo train is running.

If not, I think Novara is the next best bet. Most of the Alagna hotels have a shuttle or reference to taxi.
    This is a good resource: https://www.rome2rio.com/

https://www.rome2rio.com/map/Romagna...aly#r/Taxi/s/0

There's a little hotel in Piode whos family has a parking lot right next to the tram in Alagna: https://pescatoripiode.eu/it/ They have been really cool about providing a ride from their hotel up to Alagna where their son works as a guide.

In Alagna, the best guide is Sergio Gabbio, who runs a hotel there and speaks English. Great guy, knows all the routes including the round Monte Rosa day trip Alagna->Lyskamm->Zermatt->Champoluc->Gressoney->Alagna: http://www.montagnadiluce.it/en/serg...ountains-lord/

For a minimum stay of 3 nights during the week or a minimum of 4 nights including the weekend in a double room not for single use you will be entitled to a free ski pass as well as the shuttle service included.
    For more information write to info@montagnadiluce.it or call +39 0163 922820

His place is a little walk out of the main town, but it's not far.

On the way to Andermatt:
    Once to Novara, you'll have to do a bunch of changes, but there's trains to Goeschenen and then up to Andermatt, then back to Goeschenen and up around to Engelberg.
    Sbb does give your routes and times: https://www.sbb.ch/en/home.html , just type in Novara as start and Andermatt as destination.

From Engelberg, you can ride trains anywhere, no need for a car transfer.

(edit) If you want a guide around Andermatt or some kickass custom tour to farmers lifts or remote huttes, Dan Loutrel is your man: https://www.andermatt-guides.ch/

Here's a link to Eurail passes:
    https://www.eurail.com/en/eurail-passes/global-pass

Looks like $422 for a 10 day rail travel to be used within a 2 month period or $297 for 5 days of rail travel within 1 month under the current 10% off sale.

That's an awesome trip. Have fun.
    Last edited by Buster Highmen; 11-28-2021 at 10:03 AM.

If I were you, I would definitely rent a car... Two people traveling by train might end up spending more money than by renting a car and let's not forget that a trip overseas is not only about skiing but also discovering new places and a car gives you that chance.... but that's me
    As for the rest: Quote Buster

Yes, get yourself a rental car. Conditions may vary form one valley to the other. So having a car gives you the chance to follow the snow.

As for Andermatt (my favorit place for many years) do not miss the following backcountry runs (Names are in German):
    - Giraffe
    - Hans im Glück
    - Langes Zimmer
    - Wilder Mann

Have Fun.

https://www.powderguide.com/magazin/...hoernchen.html

Powderalarm in ze german language

Thought ohhh he is not in a funny mood.
    But then i loved reading about the recommendation to go to the pyrenees!

Quote Originally Posted by nest View Post
    Hey all, question for the Euros, or those more familiar than me...fingers crossed heading on a 2 year postponed trip to the Alps in March/April. We are starting in Alagna and ending in Engelberg. Looking to not rent a car, but having trouble finding the best way to get from Alagna to Andermatt. Traveling with the wife and will have a ski bag to schlep, any beta on best private car transfers, or group shuttles? Plan is private shuttle to and from airports on both ends, but the travel day in the middle is the crux..Appreciate any beta and pray for snow! We all need a good year! thanks
    My trip to Alagna was characterized by horrendous conditions. I felt very very lucky that I'd made the decision to rent a car. Not only to get to the tiny village of Champoluc, but once there, to GTFO. This was after a day of skiing great steep terrain that was absolutely terrifying and super uncomfortable because it was all frozen over up high, enough to rattle your fillings loose with fossilized babyheads, but mushy as babyshit down below.

One thing I learned is that while Alagna has incredible topography, and could be all-time great skiing under the right conditions (which can happen when southerly storms hit it), its mostly south-facing aspect can be super hit-or-miss, not unlike the Hobacks at Jackson which can be heaven or hell depending on the precipitation-freeze-thaw cycle.

Fortunately, we met up with @yugi, who'd driven over to ski with me and was super kind (and wise) enough to let me know conditions were actually quite good on the north side. Followed him to Verbier, where the snow was excellent, and got to ski some amazing lines with him and his buddies. Even got to ski with some of the Faction crew off Mont Fort, by chance meeting.

The car was also great, in that after Verbier, I got to hit Andermatt in prime conditions with another maggot.

Point is, in late March/April, conditions are so variable (especially w/South facing aspects like Alagna), that a car is invaluable to be able to go to where the snow is best.

If you're gonna stay in Switzerland, the public transport is good enough to not really need a car. But if you're considering Italy, it may make a world of difference.

Flew in/out of Milan BTW.

Awesome everyone. Thank you for the beta. Super stoked for this trip and appreciate all of the collective wisdom (Buster is the mang)
    "If you're gonna be dumb, you gotta be tough."

Huh. It's starting over here. 60-80cm instead of the expected 40 in 24h
    It's a war of the mind and we're armed to the teeth.

Quote Originally Posted by subtle plague View Post
    Huh. It's starting over here. 60-80cm instead of the expected 40 in 24h
    w0000t!!!

Pyrenees are wild... and another 1-1.5m on top possibleClick image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot_20211129-070308_Firefox.jpeg 
Views:	128 
Size:	33.6 KB 
ID:	394460

Quote Originally Posted by nest View Post
    Awesome everyone. Thank you for the beta. Super stoked for this trip and appreciate all of the collective wisdom (Buster is the mang)
    If Alagna blows (it wasn't great when I was there either, but we did an awesome tour), en route up to Anderm@, consider a stop at Airolo.

It's another one right off the train, just before the Gotthard tunnel to Goeschenen, with shuttles running to the tram base from the train station every 30 minutes.

The train makes the trip Airolo<->Goeschenen<->Anderm@<->Disentis with a stop at https://www.mt-lodge.com/ easy before heading to Engelberg.

mt-lodge r00lz.

This is useful: https://www.bergfex.com/schweiz/

and CH trainmap.

Watch the snow and go either West to Valais, North to Jungfrau or Engelberg or East to Davos/Klosters or St. Moritz.

(click the image below a couple of times to get it to expand)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot (25)_LI.jpg 
Views:	85 
Size:	2.76 MB 
ID:	394464  
    Last edited by Buster Highmen; 11-28-2021 at 11:51 PM.

Spent the weekend at Kronplatz. It’s looking good for November

It’s starting to look really good!!!❄️❄️❄️

Inviato dal mio iPhone utilizzando TGR Forums

Things are snowy for us along Lac Leman. Totals don't seem huge over here but enough to get started with December skiing. Big stations are mostly open by now and the small ones will be opening a ver the next few weeks.

Sent from my M2101K6G using Tapatalk

It’s dumping in Zurich right now

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

I'm in Amsterdam without any of my gear until I'm back from the States in Jan., looking at these forecasts. Would it be crazy to fly to Lyon, scrounge up a fuck-ton of rental gear, and try to ski in Les Trois Vallees or Portes du Soleil this weekend? Other locales (Austria/Switzerland) are off limits due to Covid, and it seems like there's not much snow headed for Italy.
    Everybody's gotta have parkas. I'm talking custom parkas. Two words: "client development." They see all of you out there cutting the powder in your matching Schweikart & Cokely parkas, you'll make an impression. You will thank me later.

Why is Switzerland of limit?

Quote Originally Posted by subtle plague View Post
    Why is Switzerland of limit?
    The Swiss gov't is requiring that all travelers from the Netherlands quarantine for 10 days, regardless of vaccination or negative tests. Basically because 13 people flew to Schiphol with the new variant we're persona non grata.
    Everybody's gotta have parkas. I'm talking custom parkas. Two words: "client development." They see all of you out there cutting the powder in your matching Schweikart & Cokely parkas, you'll make an impression. You will thank me later.

Ahh... omicron trouble. Im not up to date apparently.

Omicron is an anagram for moronic. Lets hope the response makes sense and helps.