Page 174 of 820 FirstFirst ... 169 170 171 172 173 174 175 176 177 178 179 ... LastLast
Results 4,326 to 4,350 of 20491
    Oohhlala!! This is exactly what I was hoping to see. Praying the good snow keeps up!

I'm headed to Chamonix next friday (5 april - 20 april). Plan is to be on zee HR from the 7th to the 14th. It'd be great to catch up with a few maggots before or after for some beers and/or turns.
    A good friend would come bail you out of jail. A great friend would be sitting next to you saying..."but damn that was FUN"

Quote Originally Posted by madturtle View Post
    I'm headed to Chamonix next friday (5 april - 20 april). Plan is to be on zee HR from the 7th to the 14th.
    Heading over Sunday until the 17th, but I already got in my warm up. Nonetheless, I'm gonna need a big, heavy dude, who is not too bright, to test some of the 55º couloirs for avalanches ....
    Just kidding; we've got the pro skiers for that!

insaneness

probably the best 6 days skiing in my life, i'll have some pics in the next few days, but they don't do it justice. maching le face in about 10 turns first out of the 2nd bin of the day after a massive storm cycle....priceless.
    'waxman is correct, and so far with 40+ days of tasting them there is no way my tongue can tell the difference between wood, and plastic made to taste like wood...but i'm a weirdo and lick my gear...' -kidwoo

and oh, massive avalanche in rectilligne yesterday. a few i know were pretty close, but got out ok. be very careful of those west facing aspects later in the day.
    'waxman is correct, and so far with 40+ days of tasting them there is no way my tongue can tell the difference between wood, and plastic made to taste like wood...but i'm a weirdo and lick my gear...' -kidwoo

Ooh, I can't wait! La Clusaz here I come!!!!!!!
    Monty Python's version of the cougar phenomenon:
    "This is a frightened city. Over these houses, over these streets hangs a pall of fear. Fear of a new kind of violence which is terrorizing the city. Yes, gangs of old ladies attacking defenseless, fit young men".

At this rate, you're going to have to take my snorkel. Grrr.
    "Nothing is funnier than Hitler." - Smokey McPole

Quote Originally Posted by madturtle View Post
    I'm headed to Chamonix next friday (5 april - 20 april). Plan is to be on zee HR from the 7th to the 14th. It'd be great to catch up with a few maggots before or after for some beers and/or turns.
    We'll break the trail for you, as we'll be doing the HR a few days before (4 april - 10 april). Staying in Cham until the 13th for some more turns before going back.

Looks like getting v warm on the weekend with rain turning to snow on Sunday night in Swiss/French alps. Then dumping again...

Nice pictures Ripz! Why have I been in the office the last couple of days?

Quote Originally Posted by ulty_guy View Post
    ... massive avalanche in rectiligne yesterday.... be very careful of those west facing aspects later in the day.
    Hard to ski out of the way on that one! Oh well, it fills in the crevasses...

What else has been avalanching?

Looks like more dumpage on the weekend!

skied the southern and western facing shoots lower down le tour on tuesday (money, first tracks, good stability) but the north facing ones across the way looked a bit slabby and showed some signs of activity. as far as p.d.c. and rectilligne, they always say ski them in the a.m. for a reason, now i've seen that first hand. for a translation of the daily avy bulletin...
    http://www.chamonix.eu.com/avalanche...e-bulletin.php

for a translation of the daily avy bulletin...
    http://www.chamonix.eu.com/avalanche...e-bulletin.php
    Yeah I will have to do some more work on my translation software

The PDC avy caught a boarder (I believe) but he was able to dig himself out. Rescue services then spent the afternoon probing the debris to be sure.

as always, davidof to the rescue, i neglected to credit that. you're info is always really appreciated by us all! i actually was going to have a look at rectilligne yesterday afternoon and couldn't see how big the crown was till i got a little lower down. that was a stupidly hard hike outta there considering it was only about 100 meters, but sure glad i did it.

i actually was going to have a look at rectilligne yesterday afternoon and couldn't see how big the crown was till i got a little lower down. that was a stupidly hard hike outta there considering it was only about 100 meters, but sure glad i did it.
    Here, we're applying the snowboarder test in the Couloir Rectiligne under level 4 avalanche conditions on January 23, 2008.
    When you drop in, the top is a little spooky. You wonder if the whole couloir is going to cut loose.

day 7 of continuous fresh pow. knee deep freshies again after dumping last night, only saw 3 other people offpiste all day. clouds and a little snow rolled in around noon, so we only got a tiny fraction of the combe tracked. reusch was fun too, a bit heavy towards the bottom (1500m) but fun fun. got some excellent pics will post once i get home.

tomorrow repeat!

Yesterday on the Titlis

Hard to see but there is a pole and me covered in snow.

So, is this some kind of really deep powder or you getting swept down by an avalanche?

Quote Originally Posted by paedde View Post
    Yesterday on the Titlis

Hard to see but there is a pole and me covered in snow.

Paedde: "After lunch they finally opened the Titlis and this was the start of an epic afternoon."

Sorry Dude - awesome, but not epic...

well I had to call it epic at least for most of the glacier part and awesome for the rest. Some areas had waist deep stuff flying over your head. But you are right it was only kinda "epic"

Quote Originally Posted by Epow View Post
    Paedde: "After lunch they finally opened the Titlis and this was the start of an epic afternoon."

Sorry Dude - awesome, but not epic...
    Thats a bullshit comment. How the hell can you decide how good someone elses day has been.

Quote Originally Posted by davidof View Post
    Yeah I will have to do some more work on my translation software

The PDC avy caught a boarder (I believe) but he was able to dig himself out. Rescue services then spent the afternoon probing the debris to be sure.
    What's really funny is that the french version is a translation of the translation... Which makes for interesting results...

Great site nonetheless !
    "Typically euro, french in particular, in my opinion. It's the same skiing or climbing there. They are completely unfazed by their own assholeness. Like it's normal." - srsosbso

conditions at times required a hazmat style approach....

but the payoff was lines like these that haven't gone down in these conditions in ages...

Last edited by ulty_guy; 03-28-2008 at 04:09 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by stantonbum1 View Post
    Thats a bullshit comment. How the hell can you decide how good someone elses day has been.
    It was meant to be ironic.

@ Paedde:
    This Wednesday (afternoon) at Mt Titlis was the icing on the cake of your fantastic Euro / Japan / US – Snow-Safari.
    Did you ski the Galti as well?

with all the fresh pow on easter, the bunnies couldn't help but go a hoppin'...

epow: the only run I never skied on the Titlis. Usually when I'm home in April it is quite late to do it or I never had anyone to show me. Locals told me not to go without anyone who knows it well. True?