Page 76 of 821 FirstFirst ... 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 ... LastLast
Results 1,876 to 1,900 of 20518
    Quote Originally Posted by Mulletizer View Post
    Thanks Davidof, that was just the excuse I needed. I booked a flight to Grenoble on Boxing Day.
    you realize that there are not 155cm in la grave, but 30?
    It's a war of the mind and we're armed to the teeth.

The only bright side of this high pressure system that I see is that temperatures are remaining high enough to promote rounding/impede faceting, especially in the crucial 2000-3000m zone where I guess I'll be mostly skiing. If it was cold this whole time with the low snowfall the whole snowpack would be hoar. I'm hoping the warm weather towards Silvester will destroy any facets created by the last few colder days and a large cold front will come in to welcome the new year and dump heaps of snow. Wetterzentrale has a big system looming over the ocean on the 30.12, although you disagree on the other board subtle?

thanks Idris. i guess you couldn't throw a glance at that demi lune thingy from where you skinned up too..

I'll be outside Innsbruck near Oetz through the end of January. Anyone be around to hit it up. Snow is pretty thin, but hopefully getting better.

It could be much worse

First impression from Sölden: it could be much worse.

I would never have thought that I would say something like this, but "the groomers are in pretty good shape."

There was even some over-the-boot powder still to be had on the glacier, so I can't complain.

On the plus side, Sölden probably only needs another dump for the off-piste to get going. However, if one is to trust Subtle Plague, that dump is pretty far off.

Also, if I hear one more person say: "We're so lucky. The weather is wonderful." I am going to punch them in the face and beat them with a pole till they stop bleeding.

Final anecdote: I was in the gondola with a ski instructor and discussing the state of Austrian ski racing (not so good on the men's side). He was generally dissing Styria (the province where I am from) until I asked him who the last great skier from Ötztal was. He replied that it was him.

Me: "OK, seriously, who was the last one?"
    He: "Me."
    Me: "Fair enough, and before you?"
    He: "No-one."
    Me: "So, what's your name?"
    He: "Gstrein."
    Me: "Uh, oh, here we go again."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bernhard_Gstrein
    Ein Berg ohne Absturzgefahr ist nur noch Attrappe. (Reinhold Messner)

Oh, and before I forget:

London Heathrow: worst fucking shitshow in the world.

My ski bag is somewhere. Thank God my boots made it and that I am born into a family of gear whores ...

Last night I had a dream where I was reading the conditions board at the bottom of the telepherique in Champery, and it had just snowed 136cm. I remember this amount clearly in my dream.

So I woke up and jumped online and looked that the Crosets webcam.

And got depressed.

...But I think the dream is a good sign. I have hopes that come from it.

whoa... blast from the past... an Orphic Seth post!
    Putting the "core" in corporate, one turn at a time.

Metalmücil 2010 - 2013 "Go Home" album is now a free download

The Bonin Petrels

Quote Originally Posted by Franz Klammer View Post
    Final anecdote: I was in the gondola with a ski instructor and discussing the state of Austrian ski racing (not so good on the men's side). He was generally dissing Styria (the province where I am from) until I asked him who the last great skier from Ötztal was. He replied that it was him.

Me: "OK, seriously, who was the last one?"
    He: "Me."
    Me: "Fair enough, and before you?"
    He: "No-one."
    Me: "So, what's your name?"
    He: "Gstrein."
    Me: "Uh, oh, here we go again."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bernhard_Gstrein
    Bwahaha! IIRC he set the times for the course in my LL test.

tomw_n is offline hucksville, wasatch front
    Idris, I saw you up there. Had a feeling it might have been a mag. We were hitting the lower traverse over from Bochard towards Hearse area, some money lines but we had to be super careful of the buried rocks. Even though it hasn't snowed for over two weeks the pow is cold, dry and fast.

The guys that dropped into the bottom of the glacier from the skintrack looked like they were having fun. We're going to take a look Tuesday morning if there's anything left up there.

I am worried that today is the first big arrival day for a lot of the tour ops. I have a feeling that the snow we've got hasn't had much traffic recently, so the groomers and off- have been OK, but it's going to degrade much quicker now the tourists are here.
    If I come off as smug or self-rightous or arrogant, well, it's because this is the internet and you haven't seen me ski. - Highway Star RIP

This I can relate to as I'm currently stuck in Heathrow. We are crossing our fingers as we are supposed to get out tonight. Pretty much figuring that our luggage will be lost.

franz, that is why rule number one of ski plane travel is carry your boots on!!! You got lucky!

Now snow already!

Be in St. Anton starting the 30th. staying at Hotel Moessmer incase anyone wants to hook up!

Comish/Doug

Quote Originally Posted by Franz Klammer View Post
    Oh, and before I forget:

London Heathrow: worst fucking shitshow in the world.

My ski bag is somewhere. Thank God my boots made it and that I am born into a family of gear whores ...
    He who has the most fun wins!

At the Grand Montets, the snow from the last (only) snowfall lasted long. Needless to say, all streaks of weather luck (read: if not snowing, at least let it be cold) must come to an end. It came today (or maybe it started yesterday) with the foehnwind. It's wrecking havoc upon our beloved white landscape right now.

Snow has changed from nice and cold, to windblown with a crust. I found a couple of powderturns over pillows to finish off the day with a smile, in the forest, skiers left of the lookers right small chairlift on plan joran (did that make any sense?). But mostly the snow is turning into shit.

forecast boy says: new year should see a pattern change.

and it can't be for the worse anymore i guess
    It's a war of the mind and we're armed to the teeth.

Marin born -> Chico State -> CH -> France -> Truckee
    things can only get better now.

we must remember that december is always a questionable month. usually not this crappy, but still, keep hope---

hey Ripz, good TR on your photoblog! Cool how La Combe opened...now they just need some more snow for the off piste!

other mags can see it here: http://ripzalot.blogspot.com/

Santa bring me some snow...I promise I was a good boy!
    #1 goal this year......stay alive +
    DOWN SKIS

Groomers: boring after more than a day
    Park: always good for injuries

Please let it snow.

Quote Originally Posted by geo039 View Post
    Santa bring me some snow...I promise I was a good boy!
    hey isnt it a bit early in CH to be awake at the moment???

Quote Originally Posted by jskierpx View Post
    hey Ripz, good TR on your photoblog! Cool how La Combe opened...now they just need some more snow for the off piste!

other mags can see it here: http://ripzalot.blogspot.com/
    yup, went saturday and sunday. surprised at the lack of crowds too. contemplating going up for a few hours today for some turns. it ain't nothing special but turns are turns at this point. and a 900m vert descent, even a single hardpacked piste, helps.

MERRY CHRISTMAS, EUROS!

tomw_n is offline hucksville, wasatch front
    Just in the door after a day at the Grands Montets. FFsup is telling it like it is. The best conditions are on the groomers now. Foehn wind has fucked us.
    If I come off as smug or self-rightous or arrogant, well, it's because this is the internet and you haven't seen me ski. - Highway Star RIP

I got to La Grave this evening. It's ugly. Will schralp around the boneyness here for a few days then heading to Switzerland for parties. If it snows I'll follow the snow; if it doesn't I'll just try to keep the bar tab under control...

Currently in Alpe D'Huez. Went up on Saturday. Boney!!!
    Col du Lautaret yesterday was fun for a short tour but otherwise there are few options other than groomers. Roo spent today sunning himself in his shorts on the balcony. The glare was retina searing.

May try Montgenevre or Deux Alpes tomorrow.
    Monty Python's version of the cougar phenomenon:
    "This is a frightened city. Over these houses, over these streets hangs a pall of fear. Fear of a new kind of violence which is terrorizing the city. Yes, gangs of old ladies attacking defenseless, fit young men".

Roo did a lovely snow dance on the Col du Lauteret in honor of TeleAl.

Monty Python's version of the cougar phenomenon:
    "This is a frightened city. Over these houses, over these streets hangs a pall of fear. Fear of a new kind of violence which is terrorizing the city. Yes, gangs of old ladies attacking defenseless, fit young men".

found this on another forum:

Alpe 'd huez, Panorama Dôme des petites Rousses 2800m last week:

@2100m