Page 748 of 821 FirstFirst ... 743 744 745 746 747 748 749 750 751 752 753 ... LastLast
Results 18,676 to 18,700 of 20518
    Looks like a great weekend in verbier. What altitude was the snow line this last dump? Has been warm lakeside all week.

Sent from my M2101K6G using Tapatalk

Snow for the Euros.

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Don't Surf View Post
    Looks like a great weekend in verbier. What altitude was the snow line this last dump? Has been warm lakeside all week.

Sent from my M2101K6G using Tapatalk
    Was cold on Saturday - snow down to 1000m. Warming up fast though

Went for a look at the Bec. Alas massive avi on the dark side so we backed out
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4319.JPG 
Views:	75 
Size:	201.1 KB 
ID:	412709

Still some nice hero pow on the exit. Everything getting a bit baked in the sun though.

Some shots from last week in Nendaz/Verbier

Quote Originally Posted by stuntmanbo View Post
    Some shots from last week in Nendaz/Verbier

It’s just so busy in the 4V 😜

Hi again,
    I’ve been digging to find some lesser known resort with good snow and terrain and stumbled upon Bonneval sur arc and from what I have seen I really liked it. Has anyone skied there? Is it worth for a 4 day visits? Thinking of combining with LaGrave
    Thanks!

Looks decent on paper, but I think skiing down to the valley is complicated, except on the groomers.there are some ( one? I've never been, just googled some videos) couloirs through the vertical massive cliff Band surrounding 60% of the area down low, but they are not easy to Navigate. The backside is supposed to be good.
    But: the snow patterns for it are complicated. Either snowpocalypse from the West or rather strong retour d est.
    Both are rare.

It's unlikely to be really good.
    But high altitude inner alpine climate preserves the snow.
    It's a war of the mind and we're armed to the teeth.

Quote Originally Posted by Straightline1 View Post
    Hi again,
    I’ve been digging to find some lesser known resort with good snow and terrain and stumbled upon Bonneval sur arc and from what I have seen I really liked it. Has anyone skied there? Is it worth for a 4 day visits? Thinking of combining with LaGrave
    Thanks!
    We didn't ski there, but just down valley we did ski Mont Cenis and Val Frejus, each of which were fun, but Val Frejus had more couloirs and stashes.
    Other worthy spots within an hours drive of LG include Vars/Risoul, Puy St. Vincent, Serre Chevalier and the Milky Way, Via Lattea (Montgenevre, Claviere, San Sicario, Sestriere, Saulz d'Oulx) as well as the Queyras areas. You can even access Val Thorens from the Maurienne valley where Val Frejus and Mt. Cenis are.

LG can get wind that shuts stuff down and can be dry, so we'd drive to one of these places where we'd score pow when LG was dry. One year we did a month in LG and used this strategy, another year we based out of Briancon (Monetier Les Bains) by Serre Chevalier.

I'd still think about flying into Geneva or Zurich and calling an audible. Lots of hotels will take reservations that are cancellable within 5 days, so you can place your bets, then decide based on conditions. The key pow lingo for the Briancon zone close to the Italian border is "retour d'est".

I've had the best luck by basing out of https://www.mt-lodge.com/, centrally located to storm chase, great place, see the TRs.
    Merde De Glace On the Freak When Ski
    >>>200 cm Black Bamboo Sidewalled DPS Lotus 120 : Best Skis Ever <<<

Euro Mags, school me, please.

Working on a plan for next winter/early
    Spring to do a guided hut trip (or hut to hut) in the Pyrenees. Looks like there’s a lot of options out there, but I have more questions than answers at this point.

First, has anyone had a good experience doing a trip like this they would recommend?

Is March fairly reliable for snow? In some places or others? March is usually easy to schedule and the longer days are great but if the snow is bad other times are possible too.

Does it make sense to start near Barcelona or is there a better spot to fly to from the states?

Mont Blanc area is my only euro experience thus far so any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Feel free to PM or post replies.

Thanks!

I would fly to Toulouse.

March has a lot of snow typically.

Some of the huts are closed in the winter, but you can still stay in them, last have to bring a sleeping bag.

Sent from my moto g 5G using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by ripvanwinter View Post
    Euro Mags, school me, please.

Working on a plan for next winter/early
    Spring to do a guided hut trip (or hut to hut) in the Pyrenees. Looks like there’s a lot of options out there, but I have more questions than answers at this point.

First, has anyone had a good experience doing a trip like this they would recommend?

Is March fairly reliable for snow? In some places or others? March is usually easy to schedule and the longer days are great but if the snow is bad other times are possible too.

Does it make sense to start near Barcelona or is there a better spot to fly to from the states?

Mont Blanc area is my only euro experience thus far so any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Feel free to PM or post replies.

Thanks!
    I've done several different multiday skiing tours in the Pyrenees. The most famous and easy to find a guide for is the "Carros de Foc" located in the Parc Nacional d'Aigüestortes. There are several variations depending on the stamina and skills and snow/weather conditions, including summits or just cols/passes. The network of huts is good and the season starts in late Feb /early March all the way to mid/late April. Earlier than that and, as rod9301 pointed out, the huts are closed which means bring your own food, fuel, etc... Here's a description: https://www.tucmountainguides.com/tu...-park-ski-tour (disclaimer: I've never used this guide company but I got 2nd hand info that they are very competent; feel free to google around).
    There are other multiday tours possibilities in the Benasque / Aneto / Llausset area (Aneto being the highest summit of the Pyrenees), the Panticosa / Sallent de Gallego area and also in the Gavarnie area but you'll have to have them tailor made for you by a local guide as they are not stablished products as the Carros de Foc. Be aware though that the Carros de Foc is very popular so the huts get quite packed...
    Depending on which tour you are doing either fly to Barcelona, Biarritz or Toulouse, but obviously Barcelona has the largest airport with more international flights than the others.
    March generally speaking is a great month for touring in the Pyrenees... except this year when we had weeks and weeks of bad weather. But I'd definitely target March. And if it doesn't work out, from Barcelona you are only a 7h drive to the French Alps.
    Let me know if you have more doubts.

Magnificent slush busting on and off piste today! And a hint of another Janvril dump next week…

Slush is nice but I prefer powder
    https://www.instagram.com/reel/CcaBuaSl6yc/

Between a rock and a soft place. Aberdare and The Brecon Beacons, Wales
    Quote Originally Posted by stuntmanbo View Post
    Slush is nice but I prefer powder
    https://www.instagram.com/reel/CcaBuaSl6yc/
    Chapeau

Thank you everyone for the help!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Morroi View Post
    I've done several different multiday skiing tours in the Pyrenees. The most famous and easy to find a guide for is the "Carros de Foc" located in the Parc Nacional d'Aigüestortes. There are several variations depending on the stamina and skills and snow/weather conditions, including summits or just cols/passes. The network of huts is good and the season starts in late Feb /early March all the way to mid/late April. Earlier than that and, as rod9301 pointed out, the huts are closed which means bring your own food, fuel, etc... Here's a description: https://www.tucmountainguides.com/tu...-park-ski-tour (disclaimer: I've never used this guide company but I got 2nd hand info that they are very competent; feel free to google around).
    There are other multiday tours possibilities in the Benasque / Aneto / Llausset area (Aneto being the highest summit of the Pyrenees), the Panticosa / Sallent de Gallego area and also in the Gavarnie area but you'll have to have them tailor made for you by a local guide as they are not stablished products as the Carros de Foc. Be aware though that the Carros de Foc is very popular so the huts get quite packed...
    Depending on which tour you are doing either fly to Barcelona, Biarritz or Toulouse, but obviously Barcelona has the largest airport with more international flights than the others.
    March generally speaking is a great month for touring in the Pyrenees... except this year when we had weeks and weeks of bad weather. But I'd definitely target March. And if it doesn't work out, from Barcelona you are only a 7h drive to the French Alps.
    Let me know if you have more doubts.
    Thanks folks! Super helpful!

Excited to discover a new region next year.

No worries. DM me if u want/need more info.

Quote Originally Posted by ripvanwinter View Post
    Thanks folks! Super helpful!

Excited to discover a new region next year.

Name:	IMG_4721.JPG 
Views:	91 
Size:	120.5 KB 
ID:	414163

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Swiss military certainly have the best standard issue skis in the world #stockli

Name:	IMG_4723.JPG 
Views:	92 
Size:	236.2 KB 
ID:	414164

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

What's the collective's suggestion for the best location to use as a home base for a month next winter, for someone otherwise living in Amsterdam? I'll still be working remotely - mostly US hours - so I could conceivably ski every day for at least a couple hours. My current thinking is to rent a place in Innsbruck for February into March. Seems like a good balance of ski access/terrain, snow quality, I think public transport would be sufficient from there (including non-stop flights if I had to get back to Amsterdam in a hurry), and I could book an Airbnb now for a somewhat reasonable price. Other considerations - will probably have some family visit from the States and our kid will be 1yr old then, so I don't need a raging party scene. Is there a better option I'm missing? Thanks.
    Everybody's gotta have parkas. I'm talking custom parkas. Two words: "client development." They see all of you out there cutting the powder in your matching Schweikart & Cokely parkas, you'll make an impression. You will thank me later.

Quote Originally Posted by HellgateBasement View Post
    What's the collective's suggestion for the best location to use as a home base for a month next winter, for someone otherwise living in Amsterdam? I'll still be working remotely - mostly US hours - so I could conceivably ski every day for at least a couple hours. My current thinking is to rent a place in Innsbruck for February into March. Seems like a good balance of ski access/terrain, snow quality, I think public transport would be sufficient from there (including non-stop flights if I had to get back to Amsterdam in a hurry), and I could book an Airbnb now for a somewhat reasonable price. Other considerations - will probably have some family visit from the States and our kid will be 1yr old then, so I don't need a raging party scene. Is there a better option I'm missing? Thanks.
    iirc if you are in downtown innsbruk and taking public transport you are still really looking at a half hour or more each way to most places once you get on the bus unless you are just going to nordkette. also, last time i checked, the free busses were only once or twice a day in each direction, and the more frequent busses were the ones you had to pay for

why not just be in some place like mayrhofen or kitzbuehl where skiing is right out the door but you get a train to the innsbruk airport in 45 minutes?

If you can, wait until December to see where the snow is falling.
    If you have a car, consider Briancon or Bourg St. Maurice in France or Bolzano Italy.
    From Briancon, there's Serre Chevlier right there, the Milky Way in 20 minutes and La Grave in 30 minutes plus lots and lots of other options in Italy or France
    From Bourg St. Maurice there's Les Arcs/Paradiski/La Plagne right there, Val d'Isere/Tignes or La Rosiere/La Thuile or St. Foy in 30 minutes,
    From Bolzano, there's the Dolomites with dozens of options within an hour.

If you don't have a car, I'd consider Chur, Switzerland, right next to Arosa/Lenzerheide and only 1 hour to Klosters/Davos or Disentis/Andermatt SkiArena.
    Or Landeck, Austria with the Arlberg within a 30 minute train ride plus access up the Paznaun to Kappl and Ischgl.

If you need an airport, another option is Salzburg with Bad Gastein in 80 minutes by train or Kaprun within an hour.

Thanks Buster and Cloud Cult. Lots more research to do I guess but I appreciate the suggestions. I don't have a car in Amsterdam and my preference is to avoid renting one, but maybe I need to bite the bullet.
    Everybody's gotta have parkas. I'm talking custom parkas. Two words: "client development." They see all of you out there cutting the powder in your matching Schweikart & Cokely parkas, you'll make an impression. You will thank me later.

Thanks Buster and Cloud Cult. Lots more research to do I guess but I appreciate the suggestions. I don't have a car in Amsterdam and my preference is to avoid renting one, but maybe I need to bite the bullet.
    In Switzerland, you really don't need a car.
    Here's a ticket that gives access to Lenzerheide, Arosa, Davos/Klosters and Laax/Flims:
    https://www.topcard.info/?gclid=EAIa...SAAEgLyPfD_BwE .

I'd probably go for Chur for a central location with lots of easy train access. Plus you could go hang out with vendul!

I like that idea, I just think the problem (with Chur) is going to be availability of housing - especially if I wait until winter to pull the trigger. But maybe I'm misjudging that.