Page 637 of 820 FirstFirst ... 632 633 634 635 636 637 638 639 640 641 642 ... LastLast
Results 15,901 to 15,925 of 20494
    Really nice today between about 2000m and 1600m. It rained or was very wet to about 1500m last night but above that to the top of the sheltered trees was great. Soft slabs in places though, from wind loading on lee slopes.

Courmayeur was a shit show. Great snow, but nearly no terrain open. Got first tracks in some great tree skiing, but long lift lines and everything got skied out quickly.

Still got to ski, so I'm happy.

Probably going to get some bootfitting done in Chamonix tomorrow.

Still Sole Lab ftw?

Sent fra min F5321 via Tapatalk

If you'd come one valley further I would have skied with you. Crowds weren't horrible. Hopefully it stays cold enough tomorrow and doesn't turn wet. Forecasts are inconclusive.

I was at Sole a week ago and happy with what I got. They'll remember if you name drop.

Engelberg had overnight rain changed to snow. Titlis closed but stand and Jochspass skied great in dizzying whiteblur. No one but the mad and iggurunt out today.

Quote Originally Posted by Toby View Post
    If you'd come one valley further I would have skied with you. Crowds weren't horrible. Hopefully it stays cold enough tomorrow and doesn't turn wet. Forecasts are inconclusive.

I was at Sole a week ago and happy with what I got. They'll remember if you name drop.
    Yeah, according to wepowder tomorrow will be bad. Hopefully it stays cold enough for a epic powder day in GM on Tuesday

Busy in Verbier today!

https://youtu.be/JGltZdU7tzs

Quote Originally Posted by IridePow View Post
    Bedretto valley was pretty good today.
    Nicely settled pow.
    Northerly aspects dry down to 1600 m, southerly aspects started to get wet somewhere under 2200 m.
    (tomorrow you wanna chose the northerly aspects only)

Finally in the warming sun:
    Attachment 221291

Our objective of the day "Poncione Cavagnolo" (seen from Poncione Val Piana).
    Approached from the back, but unfortunately could not make to the top due to poor snow conditions on the top 40 m. (even with crampons and ice axe).
    Attachment 221292

Bernese Alps
    Attachment 221293

Close-up of Finsteraarhorn and Lauteraarhorn
    Attachment 221294

Yeah.... pretty good snow conditions in the Bedretto valley (pic at 1600 m)
    Attachment 221295
    gorgeous

Quote Originally Posted by Buster Highmen View Post
    Engelberg had overnight rain changed to snow. Titlis closed but stand and Jochspass skied great in dizzying whiteblur. No one but the mad and iggurunt out today.
    You should try Brunni for storm skiing.
    If it does not rain down south I may pass you by tomorrow. And pick you up for some treeskiing. Right now I'm. Baby sitting and it's dumping.
    We return home with the rv(shower sounds nice after 5days and some propane.) . But today was the tits.
    Pm me your phone number.
    For WhatsApp this evening.(if you have...)
    Eberhard won't open anything high and will have rain down low.
    It's a war of the mind and we're armed to the teeth.

Hehe nice autocorrection. Eberhard.

Pm'ed the data.

Mr. Humperdincks first name?

Me again. Some footage of what the trees above Chamonix looked like today.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BeNqvtWFwoY/

A little bit gutted that I didn't stay up high for a while longer, as the promised rain still hasn't started yet in Argentiere, and I only came down to beat the clag when it appeared... which it hasn't yet.
    It had better be rain by tomorrow morning, or I'll be livid!
    Short stories about snow and rock, and pictures, too

Quote Originally Posted by peds View Post

A little bit gutted that I didn't stay up high for a while longer, as the promised rain still hasn't started yet in Argentiere, and I only came down to beat the clag when it appeared... which it hasn't yet.
    If you have some techno music and lime neon skis you will be OK
    #1 goal this year......stay alive +
    DOWN SKIS

Pm'ed the data.
    hmm? I didn'T get you contact.?
    sent you mine.
    I'll go to bed and check the snow at 6ish. send a text/whatsapp to my phone if you want to join. I'll go if there is enough fresh and it doesnt't rain (two big ifs I know..but airolo has real time data...)
    I could get you down in stans If you want to (driving up to eberg is kind of a hassle if you want to go south ) And i could drop you in Andermat on the way back (if you leave eberg tomorrow)

Thanks for the kid stoke Peds! that little vid was rad!

Peds, i read your explanation for using long poles and gripping then lower.

I saw a lot of people in France using them.

Is it so you can use them as long poles skinning and then grip there lower for skiing?

Do you slide you hand up and down while skiing, higher when you plant and shift lower when that have becomes the uphill hand, assuming you double pole plant?

I've heard different reasons, but not sure I understood them.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using TGR Forums mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by rod9301 View Post
    Is it so you can use them as long poles skinning and then grip there lower for skiing?
    Do you slide you hand up and down while skiing, higher when you plant and shift lower when that have becomes the uphill hand, assuming you double pole plant?
    The first reason you give is definitely the case for some people, more the lycra-clad skimo wierdo crowd who like to break a sweat on the uphill and bounce around on the downhill, but at least they're doing it really quickly. My poles are just regular length though, 120cm for my size, so there's no big reaching strides with that funny long pole lunge that they do.
    For me it's reason two, as you say, a hand lower down on the uphill pole gives a bit more stability when completing pole plants (both single and double). It helps to be more dynamic with your hand positions when it's quite a bit steeper, or if you are doing a bit of dry skiing.

Quote Originally Posted by nortonwhis View Post
    Thanks for the kid stoke Peds! that little vid was rad!
    Cheers dude, Monday to Friday I'm a stay at home dad, so it's such a huge plus for me that I get to go out skiing with her when conditions are right (fresh snow, not too cold, not too windy, not too sunny... etc). There'll be no skiing, sledging, strolling, or pretty much anything today though... Chamonix has a 5/5 risk today, time to stay indoors and repent for our sins. Lots of people are being evacuated from their homes... lots of roads are being closed...

The end is nigh!

The first reason you give is definitely the case for some people, more the lycra-clad skimo wierdo crowd who like to break a sweat on the uphill and bounce around on the downhill, but at least they're doing it really quickly. My poles are just regular length though, 120cm for my size, so there's no big reaching strides with that funny long pole lunge that they do.
    For me it's reason two, as you say, a hand lower down on the uphill pole gives a bit more stability when completing pole plants (both single and double). It helps to be more dynamic with your hand positions when it's quite a bit steeper, or if you are doing a bit of dry skiing.

Cheers dude, Monday to Friday I'm a stay at home dad, so it's such a huge plus for me that I get to go out skiing with her when conditions are right (fresh snow, not too cold, not too windy, not too sunny... etc). There'll be no skiing, sledging, strolling, or pretty much anything today though... Chamonix has a 5/5 risk today, time to stay indoors and repent for our sins. Lots of people are being evacuated from their homes... lots of roads are being closed...

The end is nigh!
    "staying indoors" I'm not sure that's so safe either, 9 months time another maglette could be dropping down the chute

Sent from my SM-G930F using TGR Forums mobile app
    i dont kare i carnt spell or youse punktuation properlee, im on a skiing forum

Quote Originally Posted by Rossymcg View Post
    "staying indoors" I'm not sure that's so safe either, 9 months time another maglette could be dropping down the chute
    I think it'll be interesting to see the spike in birth rates nine months after the missile attack warning in Hawaii the other day...

Glad to see it snowing this morning instead of raining. Currently raining but getting a bit more clear. Blows my mind how it can snow for hours on end and not accumulate much on the valley floor. Lots of avalanche evidence when the clouds clear up a bit.
    Most likely heading to Grands Montets as the ski report is showing the most open lifts. Suggestions?
    Last edited by snophoto; 01-22-2018 at 10:45 AM.

I don't think it has been as warm as forecasted in Chamonix. And not the amount of precipitation either. However, that is what I've seen peeking out from my hotel room ......

Hoping for GM as well, but prepared for a lot of waiting.

In other news, got new liners and ate a great piece of cake today

Yeah, not as warm as forecast, the rain line barely lifted above Argentiere, and only for about four hours. But there has definitely been about the right quantities of snowfall and rain. Shit's real out there, yo.

Yeah, not as warm as forecast, the rain line barely lifted above Argentiere, and only for about four hours. But there has definitely been about the right quantities of snowfall and rain. Shit's real out there, yo.
    Ok, thanks. Will take it easy tomorrow. Hopefully will have lots of low angle pow cruising.

What's the deal with maintenace on the gondola? Do you know how long it will be closed?

Top lift of the Grands Montets? She got knocked about by Storm Eleanor, the weather we had before this current storm. Word around town says two more weeks, three, start of March... nothing confirmed, though.

My guess for tomorrow: Tabe and Marmottons only at GM, lowest two chairs at Flegere, most of Le Tour eventually but no Posettes, lowest chairs at Brevent, Midi midstation open at 1pm, no Montenvers. All of Les Houches open, obviously. No top lifts open anywhere, and we should be grateful for what little they do manage to open!

I'll be snowshoeing somewhere flat with my daughter.

I finally hit the Laub in eberg in choice quality conditions. W000000000t
    One of my all time favorite runs. Congratulations sir! See you at BBI.