Page 608 of 813 FirstFirst ... 603 604 605 606 607 608 609 610 611 612 613 ... LastLast
Results 15,176 to 15,200 of 20323
    ^ Nonsense, I see some snow in the bottom left corner there.

Not bad up there today but a little whoomphy in places, so three out of four plans were scrapped and we just went surfing around on some predictable stuff instead of doing anything too silly. A good handful of skiers out on the Italian side too, they got a hell of a lot more snow than the French side. We watched some pretty significant slides coming down off the steeper slopes over there.

Other picture here, but you can't embed "instagram" here (it's this great new way to share photos, all the kids are using it apparently). Sorry.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BLlrbJlB3JW/

Well, that's me done for the next two weeks... I have six days of work, then I'm off to Ireland for a wedding. Back in November. Go skiing, guys!
    Short stories about snow and rock, and pictures, too

Well, shit. First fatality of the young season in AT. some pictures in here.
    http://tirol.orf.at/m/news/stories/2803350/

The route is more an easy mountaineering thing than a typical skitour, might not even have had skis.

these people in cham got lucky

https://scontent-ams3-1.cdninstagram...27851776_n.mp4
    Ich bitte dich nur, weck mich nicht.

Damn. Seemed like he wasn't pushing too hard on that ski cut then just stepped in the right spot to trigger.
    god created man. winchester and baseball bats made them equal - evel kenievel

It looked like he intentionally skied the ridge to see the stability

Quote Originally Posted by klar View Post
    Well, shit. First fatality of the young season in AT. some pictures in here.
    http://tirol.orf.at/m/news/stories/2803350/

The route is more an easy mountaineering thing than a typical skitour, might not even have had skis.

these people in cham got lucky

https://scontent-ams3-1.cdninstagram...27851776_n.mp4
    In the first one, is that zigzag in the bed surface the climbing route? Sad start to the season

Second one is sobering

Quote Originally Posted by abraham View Post
    In the first one, is that zigzag in the bed surface the climbing route? Sad start to the season
    Yes. Unlcear if it was theirs or just an older track. people typically climb the lower section in the snow/ice before crossing onto the rock, because the rock is very crumbly. They did not have beacons. one guy got buried with a hand sticking out and was quickly found with minor injuries (seeing as it's right next to the groomer there were a bunch of people around). the other one who didn't make it was fully buried for a couple of hours, avy dog eventually found him.

Yeah that was a shock to hear on the news last night. It didn't seem like they had any beacons on, but i didn't konw for sure from what i read. Looks like they were climbing rather than skiing? LWT mentions them being skitourers, but not sure if that was only the preliminary report they put up before knowing any of the details.
    Very sad to hear.

Very sad indeed, and unfortunately, not that surprising given what snow conditions we found up there the other day. An awful lot to think about.

That ski cut video from the Petit Flambee off the Helbronner, we watched that happen from over on the French side. We'd seen naturally-occuring stuff on all of the steeper slopes, and then this noticeably-louder bass rumble followed by two looming plumes of powder cloud... we saw the dude filming silhouetted on the skyline too, it was actually pretty reassuring to see the story behind it.

A video from last winter.

Last edited by nordekette; 10-21-2016 at 03:18 AM.

That was hairy as fuck!
    Talk about cliffhanger! You're going to have to post the next part, because it looks like thats going to be some serious shred

I lied, I had to get one more ski in. Off to Ireland tomorrow, and then it's definitely no more skiing for me for at least two weeks.

With only another week of the Midi running before it closes for November, we found creamy snow on the Petit Envers and not another soul skiing it.

We came here to ski pow and chew bubble gum, and we're all out of gum.

What we did... ski the top pitch of Petit Envers, skin up the ridge left-of-photo to the top of the Grand Envers, ski a few laps in some really rather good snow, boot back up to the top, ski back down the ridge left-of-photo, skin back to the Midi.
    A day well spent.

Skiing a few laps in the Envers terrain park.

Okay, I'll stop now. Sorry.

Quote Originally Posted by peds View Post
    I lied, I had to get one more ski in. Off to Ireland tomorrow, and then it's definitely no more skiing for me for at least two weeks.

With only another week of the Midi running before it closes for November, we found creamy snow on the Petit Envers and not another soul skiing it.

We came here to ski pow and chew bubble gum, and we're all out of gum.

What we did... ski the top pitch of Petit Envers, skin up the ridge left-of-photo to the top of the Grand Envers, ski a few laps in some really rather good snow, boot back up to the top, ski back down the ridge left-of-photo, skin back to the Midi.
    A day well spent.

Skiing a few laps in the Envers terrain park.

Okay, I'll stop now. Sorry.
    Nice work Peds!!!
    #1 goal this year......stay alive +
    DOWN SKIS

^^NICE!

The pistes at Stubai were also nice today, but nowhere near that nice!

Cheers dudes, it was a pretty smashing day! A big blue sky and a blinding sun, but refreshingly cold to boot, and barely a soul up there. I bloody love getting a taste of winter in the off-season, with no crowds around.

There's a 59 second video of today's skiing, I only put the short ones on Instagram I'm afraid, so I can't embed them here. I'll try and stick ti Vimeo a bit more in the future, but here's the Instagrumbler:
    https://www.instagram.com/p/BL4BccMh6C1/

Quote Originally Posted by McDee View Post
    That was hairy as fuck! :yourock:
    Talk about cliffhanger! You're going to have to post the next part, because it looks like thats going to be some serious shred
    Here is the shred part of that day!
    Nordkette backside - Gleierschtaler Brandjoch eastface - Stempljoch to Issanger and an attempt to hike the Wildangerspitze, lots of Ice under the snow stopped me.... : )

Peds always nice to see you getting after it!
    Last edited by nordekette; 10-27-2016 at 12:52 PM.

very nice nordkette! That looks like quite a treck, did you head out of the Halltal or cut over to thaurer alm? How long did that day take?!

Quote Originally Posted by McDee View Post
    very nice nordekette! That looks like quite a treck, did you head out of the Halltal or cut over to thaurer alm? How long did that day take?!
    First gondola up - must have been 4ish when I exited halltal.
    I guess you could ski Wildangerspitze to the south too, my intention was skiing the north couloire as it was begin of march and everything was backed.

Bump for SNOW in the Alps! 30cm+ in Montafon!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image3.jpg 
Views:	92 
Size:	58.2 KB 
ID:	191934

Over a foot of snow at 2000m here in Cham, another one coming on Wednesday, double that on Thursday, maybe another one at the weekend...

A friend and I went trail sledging yesterday. It's like trail running, but you strap a technical bumboard to your running bag. A quick 800m of ascent, a bumpy 200m of sledge descent, then a snowjog back down to town.

There'll be actual, factual skiing here in a week, I reckon.

Nice! Had to check the snowforcast. That looks good for you. There is a lil also comming in our direction.

I went to stubaier gletscher (heated chairs : ) today and it was nice skiing. I underestimated the snow in lower elevations here. Of course still rocky as hell : )
    Found this blog entry from axamer lizum today, the guy mentions for him the best start of the season.

^^ I also went to Lizum yesterday, decent 30cms on grass at the bottom (hit the bottom once or twice in places, but no stones). As always plenty of traffic even at this time of year, but for some reason everyone chose to only ski back down the Damenabfahrt... Freshies all for me on the other side! Über-nerd selfie stick got some nice shots when the Sun deigned to come out:

Piste bashers were about moving snow cannons around, and actively grooming wider strips of the pistes (presumably to try and conserve the snow) so probs not worth going today/tomorrow, but if the next storm dishes out the goods Thursday/Friday it should be pretty sweet.

Quote Originally Posted by ClarkleberryFinn View Post
    Piste bashers were about moving snow cannons around, and actively grooming wider strips of the pistes (presumably to try and conserve the snow) so probs not worth going today/tomorrow, but if the next storm dishes out the goods Thursday/Friday it should be pretty sweet.
    eh, was pretty okay as an afterwork outing. actually glad they groomed some parts, helps when you're skiing in the dark and can't see those subtle hints that indicate big rocks under the 25-ish cm of baseless pow....

any swiss mags out and about? I may be coming to tour in your general valais direction. any early openings? I dont think G3000 will have enough to ski anything, or will it?
    It's a war of the mind and we're armed to the teeth.

Verbier is confirmed open tomorrow and the weekend

I'm working Friday though, not sure I'll be making the trek over there on Saturday to ski moguls!

Went for a quick headtorch skin with friend and dog when I got home from work this evening, had to stop after about 300m because we couldn't swim any further through 55, 60, 70cm of soft...
    Lots of pictures of people in waist-deep snow up at Le Tour and on the Flegere home run earlier today.

errr, ummm, wut? it's november!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	LOnePillon78.jpg 
Views:	114 
Size:	611.8 KB 
ID:	192255