Page 754 of 813 FirstFirst ... 749 750 751 752 753 754 755 756 757 758 759 ... LastLast
Results 18,826 to 18,850 of 20323
    Good to see it’s winter somewhere. Grey skies and cold temps here but not much in the way of precip.

Quote Originally Posted by twat View Post
    Good morning,
    So it is snowing somewhere. Close enough for you to get the goods? Or is it a pure eye candy?
    2hours 15minutes from my doorstep.

Southern Switzerland
    And more than I expected in my alert. They passed the 1m mark at 2000m, which I didn't quite expect.
    It's a war of the mind and we're armed to the teeth.

Fresh snow 3 days. SlfClick image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot_20221205_132750_White%20Risk.jpeg 
Views:	71 
Size:	68.9 KB 
ID:	436755

Wit another 20-40 next weekend...I think I'll be heading out to Tour.

Hey gang, as I wrote earlier in the fall, my wife and I are coming over for a first ever ski trip to France this winter. While we have lots of backcountry experience in the Canadian Rockies (including glacier skills), we obviously don't have any local knowledge. So we are considering a guide for some days in places like Chamonix and La Grave. Does anyone have suggestions on good guides for either of those places to contact? They can be either English or French speaking.

And if anyone just wants to meet up for some days of skiing at other places, the Apres is on us! Obviously depends on conditions, but likely places we'll hit are Tignes/Val, Les Arcs, Trois Vallees, Bourg d'oisans area, Serre Chevalier, Milky Way and Chamonix.

Thanks, and hope to meet some overseas Maggots!

Quote Originally Posted by TOLOCOMan View Post
    Hey gang, as I wrote earlier in the fall, my wife and I are coming over for a first ever ski trip to France this winter. While we have lots of backcountry experience in the Canadian Rockies (including glacier skills), we obviously don't have any local knowledge. So we are considering a guide for some days in places like Chamonix and La Grave. Does anyone have suggestions on good guides for either of those places to contact? They can be either English or French speaking.

And if anyone just wants to meet up for some days of skiing at other places, the Apres is on us! Obviously depends on conditions, but likely places we'll hit are Tignes/Val, Les Arcs, Trois Vallees, Bourg d'oisans area, Serre Chevalier, Milky Way and Chamonix.

The more well-known names are probably pretty booked up, but worth reaching out. We skied with Ross and Fred on a trip and they were great.

Cham: Ross Hewitt, Miles and Liz Smart

La Grave: Erin Smart, Joe Vallone, Per Ås, Fred Degoulet

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20221205_084819.jpg 
Views:	59 
Size:	951.9 KB 
ID:	436819 On this mornings commute.
    Knowledge is Powder

For La Grave, there's Joe Vallone https://provallone.com/ and for both LG and Cham there's the Smarts: https://www.smartmountainguides.com/ , Miles is in Chamonix and Erin, his sister, is based out of LG.

Also, consider https://www.skierslodge.com/ for guiding in LG, you can call a day ahead and either join a group of get a private.

(edit: duh, Doctor Vibes cover that...)
    Merde De Glace On the Freak When Ski
    >>>200 cm Black Bamboo Sidewalled DPS Lotus 120 : Best Skis Ever <<<

Thanks for the tips guys. I know the bigger names will probably be booked, but since we are keeping flexible with where we are when due to conditions, it's pretty hard to book very far in advance. Which probably means they'll be booked, but it's a risk I'm willing to take.

Thanks for the tips guys. I know the bigger names will probably be booked, but since we are keeping flexible with where we are when due to conditions, it's pretty hard to book very far in advance. Which probably means they'll be booked, but it's a risk I'm willing to take.
    Yep I’d say you’ve got no chance of getting those guys unless booked well in advance, although probably still worth contacting as maybe they can recommend you someone else? Skiers Lodge and Snowlegend are worth contacting in La Grave. Ski it away from weekends if possible when it gets mobbed in good conditions. With a guide book, and off piste experience you can ski some of the classic routes in Cham without a guide if conditions (and weather) are good. You will have lots of company on all the main routes if the conditions are good. Hellbronner on the Italian side is also excellent and on the MBU pass. If you’re in Chamonix I’ll put in a recommendation for Verbier where I can give you some good tips.

Some of the ski schools in Europe do group guiding usually for well under 100 a person. Granted it’s not really close to having your own guide in terms of service and terrain potential but still good enough to get one out skiing some the lift serviced smoregesboard.

Quote Originally Posted by beer30 View Post
    Some of the ski schools in Europe do group guiding usually for well under 100 a person. Granted it’s not really close to having your own guide in terms of service and terrain potential but still good enough to get one out skiing some the lift serviced smoregesboard.
    I've seen those. Do they really take you anywhere interesting? Or is it like cat skiing with a group to the lowest common denominator? Now granted, I might be that lowest common denominator, but I get the feeling the groups don't go to places someone with experience and the right gear wouldn't feel comfortable by themselves. Or maybe I'm wrong on that?

Quote Originally Posted by bobinch View Post
    With a guide book, and off piste experience you can ski some of the classic routes in Cham without a guide if conditions (and weather) are good. You will have lots of company on all the main routes if the conditions are good. Hellbronner on the Italian side is also excellent and on the MBU pass. If you’re in Chamonix I’ll put in a recommendation for Verbier where I can give you some good tips.
    Thanks. I do wonder sometimes if we need a guide with our experience. Just don't want to do anything stupid like head down a couloir that ends in a 100m cliff with only 2 30m ropes kind of thing... It's that local knowledge that's hard to replace.

We do plan on heading over to the Courmayeur side too for sure.

Verbier is not in the plans for now (can only do so much in the time we have), but if conditions mean we end up there, I'll let you know.

Thanks. I do wonder sometimes if we need a guide with our experience. Just don't want to do anything stupid like head down a couloir that ends in a 100m cliff with only 2 30m ropes kind of thing... It's that local knowledge that's hard to replace.

Verbier is not in the plans for now (can only do so much in the time we have), but if conditions mean we end up there, I'll let you know.
    Download Swisstopo and pair with Google Earth, should help avoid nasty surprises. “Standard” ski tours are all mapped on Swiss topo.

I've seen those. Do they really take you anywhere interesting? Or is it like cat skiing with a group to the lowest common denominator? Now granted, I might be that lowest common denominator, but I get the feeling the groups don't go to places someone with experience and the right gear wouldn't feel comfortable by themselves. Or maybe I'm wrong on that?
    depends who you go with. if with the ESF you'll be jonged out. If you go with someone like snoworks in the EK they run jong groups but also a weekly group skiing some spicy stuff.

Sent from my SM-G780G using TGR Forums mobile app
    i dont kare i carnt spell or youse punktuation properlee, im on a skiing forum

The main risk in the places you mention is avalanche risk. And in places like Chamonix / Hellbronner, crevasses on the glaciated routes. There are very good local guide books describing the routes, great online resources like Swisstopo and Fatmap as mentioned ^^^ and sources of weather and avalanche risk information like SLF in Switzerland, Chamonix Meteo etc. There is a lot of good skiing in the places you have on your list but if you want to insure yourself against the variety of typical weather fronts you might want to consider some options further North in case the South-West is dry when you visit eg La Grave/Serre Che/Milky Way, Chamonix, Verbier, Andermatt/Engelberg, St Anton.

Quote Originally Posted by bobinch View Post
    The main risk in the places you mention is avalanche risk. And in places like Chamonix / Hellbronner, crevasses on the glaciated routes. There are very good local guide books describing the routes, great online resources like Swisstopo and Fatmap as mentioned ^^^ and sources of weather and avalanche risk information like SLF in Switzerland, Chamonix Meteo etc. There is a lot of good skiing in the places you have on your list but if you want to insure yourself against the variety of typical weather fronts you might want to consider some options further North in case the South-West is dry when you visit eg La Grave/Serre Che/Milky Way, Chamonix, Verbier, Andermatt/Engelberg, St Anton.
    Thanks. Have Fatmap and am following avy reports already to have the basis on what is happening with the snowpack throughout the season. We do plan on keeping it flexible. Only things set in stone is the flight dates and rental car. Everything else can be changed based on conditions.

Quote Originally Posted by Rossymcg View Post
    depends who you go with. if with the ESF you'll be jonged out. If you go with someone like snoworks in the EK they run jong groups but also a weekly group skiing some spicy stuff.

Good to know. Thanks!

there's some incoming this weekend by the looks of it on my usual hit list of forecasts. What's your view @subtle plague? Österreich looks to get a a good base builder

i dont kare i carnt spell or youse punktuation properlee, im on a skiing forum

France and Italy/ Kärnten and slowenia may see a powderalert for the next three days still working that out.

Next week should see some more West sw Action. Not much in the North.

Quote Originally Posted by subtle plague View Post
    France and Italy/ Kärnten and slowenia may see a powderalert for the next three days still working that out.

Next week should see some more West sw Action. Not much in the North.
    Where you thinking this side? Or could just SKIGVA!!! At least a WePow 30vm here on the Down Mobile Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Image1670570152.122856.jpg 
Views:	63 
Size:	194.4 KB 
ID:	437473
    #1 goal this year......stay alive +
    DOWN SKIS

Verbier opening everything tomorrow including Mont Fort. And looks like this current dump is on the generous side of the forecast with hopefully 30cm by end of the day.

Name:	IMG_0998.JPG 
Views:	71 
Size:	460.5 KB 
ID:	437475

Webcam at 2200m
    https://www.teleport.io/view?feedId=...udsm&view=full

Geo:Huh I might be in your hood next week. Im sick. Hopefully I'll be touring close to home on sunday.
    Last edited by subtle plague; 12-09-2022 at 05:12 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by subtle plague View Post
    Geo:Huh I might be in your hood next week. Im sick. Hopefully I'll be touring close to home on sunday.
    Sorry to hear boss. Trying to stay super local (FR/IT side) as I have a shit ton of work. What does your crystal ball say?
    #1 goal this year......stay alive +
    DOWN SKIS

Quote Originally Posted by geo039 View Post
    Sorry to hear boss. Trying to stay super local (FR/IT side) as I have a shit ton of work. What does your crystal ball say?
    Next week be good. Sayeth the Prophet.

Thur/ friday should be the days in the storm. And sat first sunny day. But there ought to be a proper alert on powderguide.com on Tuesday.

You're right in the Center of things.

I'll shamlesly link it to keep the site from dieing a slow post covid death.

What about your limited quantities of stealth skis this year?

Courmayeur for ski n Coffee

Name:	20221209_104850.jpg 
Views:	64 
Size:	449.3 KB 
ID:	437495

Name:	20221209_103139.jpg 
Views:	66 
Size:	865.5 KB 
ID:	437496]

Ankle to knee on the piste. Knee to thigh off