Page 726 of 813 FirstFirst ... 721 722 723 724 725 726 727 728 729 730 731 ... LastLast
Results 18,126 to 18,150 of 20323
    Zach, nobody knows, just check the weather often and go if there's snow.

Sent from my SNE-LX1 using Tapatalk

Skiing Pyranees

Quote Originally Posted by rod9301 View Post
    Zach, nobody knows, just check the weather often and go if there's snow.

Sent from my SNE-LX1 using Tapatalk
    Can't argue with that... fingers crossed

Knee deep fresh at mid station on the Aiguille du Midi today

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20211104_124357-1024x576.jpg 
Views:	94 
Size:	154.4 KB 
ID:	391558

It's all fresh, so no base to hide the rocks. Sunny days ahead, freeze thaw should fix the base issue.
    Knowledge is Powder

Quote Originally Posted by Idris View Post
    Knee deep fresh at mid station on the Aiguille du Midi today

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20211104_124357-1024x576.jpg 
Views:	94 
Size:	154.4 KB 
ID:	391558

It's all fresh, so no base to hide the rocks. Sunny days ahead, freeze thaw should fix the base issue.
    how low was the snow line?

Sent from my SM-G973F using TGR Forums mobile app
    i dont kare i carnt spell or youse punktuation properlee, im on a skiing forum

Quote Originally Posted by Zach__ View Post
    Can't argue with that... fingers crossed
    On the other hand, last two Winters had abundant snow in November.

Sent from my moto g 5G using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Rossymcg View Post
    how low was the snow line?

Sent from my SM-G973F using TGR Forums mobile app
    900/1100m (depends where in the valley) when it snowed. 1500/1600m significant enough that it should stay for a while.
    Knowledge is Powder

Swiss dreaming

The trailer is

https://www.laliste-everythingornothing.com

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Zinal?

Looking for recommendations on Zinal - will be there a few days in late December, 19th-22nd. Staying in Zinal proper, not Grimentz.

What to look out for, eating/drinking/skiing-wise. Things to see and do outside of skiing? Should I bother bringing touring gear? Worth a guide? Anyone wanna meet up and make a few turns or have a drink or two or three?

Quote Originally Posted by Tri-Ungulate View Post
    Looking for recommendations on Zinal - will be there a few days in late December, 19th-22nd. Staying in Zinal proper, not Grimentz.

What to look out for, eating/drinking/skiing-wise. Things to see and do outside of skiing? Should I bother bringing touring gear? Worth a guide? Anyone wanna meet up and make a few turns or have a drink or two or three?
    Edit I.just type this after I read that you're staying in Zinal proper so will leave it. I'll look up the contacts for you and email them on

A good location is either Hotel Bella Tolla or Hotel Weisshorn which is more towards central Val D'Anniviers with Bella tolla close to a lift (I'll have to look up the name). You can stay at Zinal proper but bus service drops off further up valley and you may limit options. Weather in that valley can be fickle so it's often prudent to keep options open so being in the central valley as opposed to Southern valley in Zinal can open options as you can switch to other side.

I know people who've toured around Becs de Besson so I'll look them up and find names. Touring is Definitely an option of course but isn't that always the case.

I'm taking off on Christmas holidays the 21st or 22nd but can probably join you for a day before.

Food: Château de villa in Sierre- the temple of raclette! From zinal its all the way back down the valley however. Otherwise I've found most of the hotel restaurants in st Luc/ grimentz /Sierre to be pretty typical. Not aware of anything especially worth seeking out.

Things to do and see: Uhh in Anniviers, not too much. There is a observatory in st Luc that is open to the public if you like that sort of thing. Big telescope, so if the sky is clear can be worth checking out one evening or even during the day if you ski st luc/ chandolin.

Touring gear only if you want to bag a peak or or a bigger decent. Not needed for free riding around zinal.

The super cool hotel Weisshorn is above st Luc and only accessible by skins/ snow shoes. So if you are at all flexible on accommodation could be cool to skin up there, ski a line like the Toûno couloir and then stay the night. Could always just go for lunch/ dinner/ après as well.

Sent from my M2101K6G using Tapatalk

Thanks Lee and Charlie! If you have the time and the inclincation, I'd be super psyched to make some turns with you CDS, prolly the 20th or 21st, as I'll be heading to Rueras on the 22nd to meet up with vendul for Xmas.

Gonna be long season up here. Day 12, 8,5months ahead

Lähetetty minun LYA-L29 laitteesta Tapatalkilla

Quote Originally Posted by Ville View Post
    Gonna be long season up here. Day 12, 8,5months ahead

Yeah, and quite a few really short gloomy days remain until you get to enjoy some decent daylight hours again. Hang in there bro!!

Quote Originally Posted by waxoff View Post
    Yeah, and quite a few really short gloomy days remain until you get to enjoy some decent daylight hours again. Hang in there bro!!
    Haha, sun just destroys perfectly good powder

It's actually not that bad, 4hrs of sunset every day and with big headlamps it does't really matter is it day or night.

And then April and May 24hrs of day light.

Good to have some diversion in life!

Thanks Lee and Charlie! If you have the time and the inclincation, I'd be super psyched to make some turns with you CDS, prolly the 20th or 21st, as I'll be heading to Rueras on the 22nd to meet up with vendul for Xmas.
    Marked in my calendar- Ski you then!

Quote Originally Posted by Ville View Post
    Haha, sun just destroys perfectly good powder

It's actually not that bad, 4hrs of sunset every day and with big headlamps it does't really matter is it day or night.

And then April and May 24hrs of day light.

Good to have some diversion in life!

As you mention it, this edit was recently released. I think it captures a lot of what you're addressing.

So what are the odds of the season starting on time? Will we be able to ride lifts in December?

Quote Originally Posted by beer30 View Post
    So what are the odds of the season starting on time? Will we be able to ride lifts in December?
    Sure looks like during the 25-30 it's going to dump all over with a Nordstau coming in. Piedmont has gotten slammed in the last week, so there's Sestriere and the rest of the Milky Way for sure.
    Merde De Glace On the Freak When Ski
    >>>200 cm Black Bamboo Sidewalled DPS Lotus 120 : Best Skis Ever <<<

Quote Originally Posted by Buster Highmen View Post
    Sure looks like during the 25-30 it's going to dump all over with a Nordstau coming in. Piedmont has gotten slammed in the last week, so there's Sestriere and the rest of the Milky Way for sure.
    Woot woot 🥳

Not really what I meant but I’m all for it!

In the Pyrenees, people are skiing, and there's a meter of new snow forecasted for next week

Sent from my moto g 5G using Tapatalk

Well, looks like we won’t be riding lifts in the Austria till for at least 20 days. Bummer, I was supposed to go to Solden for turkey day weekend

Can someone pls explain what a "Ski Route" is?

Is this like an off piste area that is ungroomed but mitigated, thus a safe place to ski?

Looking to plan a trip for Feb/March to Italy..most likely Monterosa.

I have a decent understanding of "snow science theory" and how to behave in the backcountry (but have not formally completed my Avy 1) and have a decent amount of touring/BC experience.

Is hiring a Guide the best way to ski pow? They look pretty expensiv. So basically if I want to ski Pow, this is pretty much the only option unless I decide to venture "off piste" myself?

Thanks

Also, if you have any other suggestions in Italy other than Monterosa that have good skiing, get dumped on etc , pls advise.

Quote Originally Posted by SirHeady View Post
    Can someone pls explain what a "Ski Route" is?

Is this like an off piste area that is ungroomed but mitigated, thus a safe place to ski?
    Yes, normally marked as a yellow run.

You can ski pow with common sense. A guide makes sense for doing bigger descents when navigation or exposure might be a consideration. Or if you just want to be led straight away to the best conditions.