Page 542 of 820 FirstFirst ... 537 538 539 540 541 542 543 544 545 546 547 ... LastLast
Results 13,526 to 13,550 of 20483
    Quote Originally Posted by klar View Post

I like this picture.

No complaints today.

Nice work boys and Lea
    #1 goal this year......stay alive +
    DOWN SKIS

OK. Just so you don't forget while enjoying all that powder. There are still people that for some odd reason live in the east and winter really sucks. So here's a little reminder of what it's like over here...

Climbing is fun. And, it was stormy so at least winter isn't disappointing us in _every_ possible aspect.

Especially when there's a little ice cover to use the tools. Too little, though. Mostly dry rock.

Once you top out, it's better to get drunk. Steep skiing is impossible - not enough snow in any of the couloirs and most of the mountain is ice, anyway. Yours truly standing around in a moderate descent route which was mainly ice and some refrozen breakable crust which made the descent possible. Saw a dog fall down this thing. Owner had crampons, the dog didn't. Quite some blood, but the poor guy survived.

Snow to ice ratio... 50/50 ?

To sum up... heading west at the next possible occasion. #SkiTheEast
    ~#at night the highway's diesel roar/speaks to me and tells me more/than any book I've ever read/or anything you've ever said#~

^^ shit that looks hard! +1 for making the best of it.

At least it involved having skis on my feet^^
    ~#at night the highway's diesel roar/speaks to me and tells me more/than any book I've ever read/or anything you've ever said#~

Quote Originally Posted by herr_stoiber View Post
    At least it involved having skis on my feet^^
    You need rax skis. Or you could check out the great little town of Nendaz. It's up and coming and I think it's somewhere near Verbier. I hear they have a new four star hotel.

edit, or visit us!

Last edited by klar; 02-18-2014 at 08:30 AM.
    Ich bitte dich nur, weck mich nicht.

^^^ When is the FREE weekend champagne and caviar maggot rave at the deluxe chalet in Nendaz? Now, TRing that will get more results than clueless spam... could even lure in debauched New Yorkers...

^ Nice avalanche slope....

Funny how conditions can change quickly in the mountains.

Skied the Rognon down to Chamonix today with OyamaGirl.

We had a look at the glacier rond, but the wind had blown the snow off the entrance. Teams were peering down the Cosmiques and backing off.

A big SW wind plus Foehn and you might as well break out your piste skis....

Even the Rognon was wind affected. In fact, the wind trashed most aspects last night.

Training day... lots of jump turns in the crusty euro mank...

Last day in cham until April... Have fun Euros and may Uhlr be with you!

OyamaGirl near the bottom of the Rognon.
    Last edited by jumpturn; 02-18-2014 at 11:08 AM.

^^^ Glad I slept in till 2pm today.

So I'm going to Chamonix this Sat/Sunday, flying solo, thanks to a business trip to Brussels getting me to Europe (first time).

Pretty certain I will be hiring a guide at Grands Montets unless one of you kind folks want to take me under your wings).

Question is: Does anyone have experience joining a random guide group? I'm looking to ski steeps, couloirs, and the like and don't want to get stuck in a random group that can't hang. Are groups split by skill (self-assessed or otherwise?).

If there's a chance my group might put a damper on my day, I might just splurge and hire my own--but really would prefer not to!

Any recommendations on guide co's?

Quote Originally Posted by Orash111 View Post
    ^^^ Glad I slept in till 2pm today.
    Take some rest days until the next cycle... err, tomorrow...

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Emmet Brown View Post
    So I'm going to Chamonix this Sat/Sunday, flying solo, thanks to a business trip to Brussels getting me to Europe (first time).

Pretty certain I will be hiring a guide at Grands Montets unless one of you kind folks want to take me under your wings).

Question is: Does anyone have experience joining a random guide group? I'm looking to ski steeps, couloirs, and the like and don't want to get stuck in a random group that can't hang. Are groups split by skill (self-assessed or otherwise?).

If there's a chance my group might put a damper on my day, I might just splurge and hire my own--but really would prefer not to!

Get a hold of Jerome Para at the Compagnie des Guides in Chamonix. See TRs by Carveman where Jerome guided them around on some pretty challenging lines.

It is pretty hard to get a guide to take you on steeps without some warm up and check out days.

Group sessions are likely to be meadow skipping at best.

There are heli skiing operations in Courmayeur and Chamonix.

Of course, you better hope for descent weather, or you'll be storm skiing....
    Last edited by jumpturn; 02-18-2014 at 11:11 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by jumpturn View Post
    Says the man who thinks it's entertaining to post pictures of his buddies triggering slides on the grand envers and /or is proud of "being the first trenching down everything after 4m of fresh snow!!!!". Talk about stones and glass houses.
    It's a war of the mind and we're armed to the teeth.

You mean mine? Just a little bit of sluff. The bit I'm skiing on isn't moving.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Emmet Brown View Post

Parajerome@yahoo.fr
    I second his recommendation he is worth every euro
    E-mail him at above address

Quote Originally Posted by coldwater View Post
    You mean mine? Just a little bit of sluff. The bit I'm skiing on isn't moving.
    No. This one.

Email sent to Jerome Para. Thanks!

Just saw on facebook, a young Swede was killed yesterday near the dam on the Mont Fort backside. Avalanche carried him into a tree. Stay safe out there, rip.

aren't they all?

Saw a big slide triggered by the first pair down Col Du Belvedere today (north-facing into the Berard Valley). Huge cloud and the debris ended up crossing into the normal descent route from the Col Du Berard (that's a long way). Lots of natural south-facing slides yesterday afternoon too, probably more today. Stay safe!

some pics from the road ( too lazy for embedding action)

Euro Mags - my mid march trip is coming up. I still havent booked an itinerary yet. I fly into Milan for 8 days of skiing but do not have an itinerary yet. I will wait as long as I can to see what the forecast is but can anyone let me know if I should head West (La Grave, Cham, Verb) or East (Austria, Dolimites, etc). Any help much appreciated.

Sahara dust...

You need rax skis. Or you could check out the great little town of Nendaz. It's up and coming and I think it's somewhere near Verbier. I hear they have a new four star hotel.

edit, or visit us!

4stars booked, will go there with newly bought rax skis.
    ranggerköpfle is so 2013.

Sent from my U8860 using TGR Forums

Had hoped the coming system would bring a little more love to the north, predictions seems to have been downgraded this morning
    Nonetheless, anyone riding anything good interesting this weekend in AT?

Faketurn
    Quote Originally Posted by Marius View Post
    some pics from the road ( too lazy for embedding action)
    #1 goal this year......stay alive +
    DOWN SKIS