Page 506 of 821 FirstFirst ... 501 502 503 504 505 506 507 508 509 510 511 ... LastLast
Results 12,626 to 12,650 of 20509
    Has anyone been to the FWT finals in Verbier before?

I was planning to go there this weekend anyway but now they have announced the final on Friday so wondering if I should go a day earlier - got a couple of friends skiing in it.

Is it easy to watch from the bottom? On the map it looks like you take the Jumbo to Col des Gentianes then ski across. I don't remember Verb that well though.

Yup Bromarius and IBK crew killing it as always.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tectonically_Neglected View Post
    Just a shout out for an astounding pic that nobody commented on!
    #1 goal this year......stay alive +
    DOWN SKIS

Quote Originally Posted by CarveMan View Post

I was planning to go there this weekend anyway but now they have announced the final on Friday so wondering if I should go a day earlier - got a couple of friends skiing in it.

Is it easy to watch from the bottom? On the map it looks like you take the Jumbo to Col des Gentianes then ski across. I don't remember Verb that well though.
    Yeah, access from the top of jumbo, you can see the whole face from there. I'm pretty disappointed to be missing it, must be somewhat insane to see live. Hopefully next week makes up for missing this one...

Sent from my ST18i using TGR Forums

Thanks. Earliest train doesn't get there until 10:30 so think its in the too hard basket.

Plus Friday looks to be a nice day to ski instead of standing around.

I've seen about 7-8 xtreme, is the best skiing one can imagine. The bec is just in front if the jumbo upper station, but a bino is useful. Said that, now it's live on the web, so...

Quote Originally Posted by Orash111 View Post
    cruised over to it at full speed to find it full of waist deep fluffyness all the way to the bottom riding it at full throttle......Was really loaded with a ton of snow though no wind effect at all, but just because I did it does not mean it was 100% fool proof as is anything with that amount of snow.
    If that snow field you were on goes, you get flushed down to the bottom of the Rond....Tread lightly (contradiction with boarding?)....that is why there are no tracks over there....People figure the tracked part is stable because it did not rip out on the other guys...natural selection.....

Quote Originally Posted by Foggy_Goggles View Post
    I'm considering spending a couples of months in Cham next year. What to you think the realities of renting a room for a couple of months or so are? What about working? I've got an EU passport.
    No problem on both counts. If you get there early season, you should be able to sort it out.

Quote Originally Posted by jumpturn View Post
    If that snow field you were on goes, you get flushed down to the bottom of the Rond....Tread lightly (contradiction with boarding?)....that is why there are no tracks over there....People figure the tracked part is stable because it did not rip out on the other guys...natural selection.....
    It is the field on the most left of the cosmique, so not leading over to the rond, though point taken of course.

Actually I did not expect it to be so deep, hence why I throttled down it at full speed once I realized.

Thing is a lot of the other snow on the cosmique had been stripped to much less than the amount that had truely fallen up the midi due to wind.

This section was extremely protected from the wind this time, and as a result way deeper than I expected and as fluffy as can be.

Quote Originally Posted by verbier61 View Post
    I've seen about 7-8 xtreme, is the best skiing one can imagine. The bec is just in front if the jumbo upper station, but a bino is useful. Said that, now it's live on the web, so...
    Thanks but I think we will leave it - snow was too good today in Cham - will ski here tomorrow then head to Verb in the evening.

I was the first down the Rectiligne today, then we skinned up to the base of the Dru and had Super G powder to the moraine.

Ermahgerd.

Could be my best day in Cham.

Thanks. Earliest train doesn't get there until 10:30 so think its in the too hard basket.

Plus Friday looks to be a nice day to ski instead of standing around.
    psssst.... race days the lifts (up to Gentianes) open really early so riders, journalists AND spectators can get up early.

As it's heating during the day I'd expect they get the race going early. Possibly earlier than announced.

Glad most people can enjoy the fresh snow, but I thought I still post something to pounder a bit.

Last week (wednesday March 13 to Sunday, March 17, 2013) we did the Grisons haute route. Skitour in 5 days from the Julier pass to the Fluela pass. Lots of info can be found here www.hauteroute-graubuenden.ch (in German only)

Original plan was actually to go to the Bernese alps, but due to the uncertain weather we opted for a slightly easier route and better weather conditions.
    Hopefully I get around to do a proper TR at some point, but in the meantime I thought I share a little avy story from Saturday, March 16, 2013.
    A few pages back I made a post about level 2 avalanche danger... and Yes this past Saturday was level 2.

Lots of wind on Thursday and Friday deposited snow all over the places (all aspects). The snow pack was very reactive (shooting cracks, whumping snow). We also had a small remote release and saw quite some avalanche activity in the area. Mostly top surface layers (20 - 30 cm).
    When we got to the Scalettahorn (south of Davos) we knew we had to choose our route carefully. First we tried the regular route from the south, but pulled back due to a small drift snowfield, that would have washed you down into a ditch.
    After that we chose quite a blown off ridge. My friend went first and I waited in a save spot near the bottom. He was near the flat part topping out, when he remotely released almost the whole Eastface (angle varies from 30 to probably a bit below 40 on the top). Max. crown 50 cm, average thickness probably only around 20 cm. However the deposit zone was more than 1.5 m thick. (Width and length of the avalanche around 150 m.)

Maybe that was not the "huge certain death slide", but it still had some potential to seriously fu&$ you up. So I am glad we chose our route wisely. The overview pic shows that most of the face slid, but our whole approach route was safe. However we still were a bit surprised that we triggered almost the whole face.

Just my quick documentation of a level 2 day. So keep your eyes open and play conservatively.
    In the meantime it’s a whole new game again due to the new snow and winds (mostly level 3). Unfortunately on Tuesday (near Le Tour) and today in Disentis that did not work out too well.

At this point one more time the link to the weekly report from the SLF (only German and French).
    Quite a good summary of the past week and there is always something to learn in those reports.
    The SLF always appreciates your avalanche observations and when you send in a pic.
    Report: http://www.slf.ch/schneeinfo/wochenb...12-13/index_DE
    Pic gallery: http://www.slf.ch/schneeinfo/wochenb...lerie/index_DE

The face before the avalanche:

Pic taken shortly after the release:

Making our way down again (notice the deposit zone):

Overview with our skin track and the point of the remote release:

And to end things up a nicer pic.
    Dave with Piz Kesch in the background early on Saturday morning:
    Last edited by IridePow; 03-22-2013 at 07:28 AM.

Heading to Val Gardena tonight. Skiing all over from the 23rd until the 31st, touring and riding lifts. Anybody going to be around who wants to meet up for a few laps or a tour? May have access to a car.

Quote Originally Posted by geo039 View Post
    Yup Bromarius and IBK crew killing it as always.
    and we never stop!
    "awesome picture to sum up an awesome day. marius drops into a rad chute on his way to the après-ski bar, instantly triggering a small slide, all while being watched by pink elephants!"

pics, text and ..uhm.. "artwork" by freak (he seems to be a bit shy atm with all his fame...)

im not shy. i think this might be the best picture i ever took. just the whole situation... unreal.

freak~[&]

Lucky buddies of mine ski the col du plan this past friday in amazing conditions while I was at work:

Hello,

I am moving next week to Erlangen (near Nuremberg in Germany) for a 6 months internship with Adidas and I was wondering if any of you had some advises on where to go skiing (during the week ends..) to finish my season ?

I have a car and I have seen that resorts such as Fieberbrunn and Kitzbuhel are reachable in a 3h drive. Then there are place like Hintertux that can be reach in ~3h30. However I don't know at all this part of Austria, thus I wanted to know if any of you knew which resorts in that area usually have the best late season conditions ?

Also do you know if there are other good resorts closer to Nuremberg ?

Thanks !
    Last edited by Archiski; 03-26-2013 at 06:49 AM.

archiski,
    don't worry, as far as I could tell from friends that were Adidas interns you won't have time to get out of office to ski anyhow..

more seriously, of course the glaciers may have better conditions in springtime. check out bergfex.com they have maps - piste and topographical terrain - and closing dates for all areas.

Sent from my U8860 using TGR Forums
    ~#at night the highway's diesel roar/speaks to me and tells me more/than any book I've ever read/or anything you've ever said#~

Quote Originally Posted by herr_stoiber View Post
    archiski,
    don't worry, as far as I could tell from friends that were Adidas interns you won't have time to get out of office to ski anyhow..
    Hopefully you're wrong on that :/ ! In theory on my contract it's written 39 hours/week but I have no idea if it will be true in reality ...

Thanks for the website I'll have a look at it.

Quote Originally Posted by Archiski View Post
    Hopefully you're wrong on that :/ ! In theory on my contract it's written 39 hours/week but I have no idea if it will be true in reality ...
    it wont be like that. for your like 500 bucks you'll work 60, sometimes 70h /week, depending on how many events you are working... especially the big boys adidas, puma and nike are known for poor workingconditions - but a load of people seem to be fine with it, cause they have a "trendy" workplace.

but hey, its cool!!!
    btw: http://mediathek.daserste.de/themen/...r-adidas-check

You are starting to make me hate my internship before it even began, but it's not like I had a choice it was the only company that offered me an internship .

At least after being exploited for 6 months by Adidas to get my degree I'll have a real reason to justify "ski bumming" a few ski seasons and not looking for a real job .

Quote Originally Posted by Archiski View Post
    You are starting to make me hate my internship before it even began, but it's not like I had a choice it was the only company that offered me an internship .
    you should just think about stuff...

Quote Originally Posted by Marius View Post
    you should just think about stuff...
    Didn't understand what you wanted to say :c

Who's in Cham this coming weekend? I'm coming down from der Schweiz to pop my Cham cherry and should be able to ski 3 or 4 days. Not sure where I am staying yet but would like to hook up with some locals and of course beers on me...
    Life is all about ass...either you are covering it,
    kicking it, hauling it, kissing it, or trying to get it.

Smiley, if u want to hook up with some Cham locals shouldn't you post on a french speaking ski forum instead?!?
    ;-)

wait, there are french speaking people in chamonix?

must be tourists from canada...

freak~[&]