Page 579 of 821 FirstFirst ... 574 575 576 577 578 579 580 581 582 583 584 ... LastLast
Results 14,451 to 14,475 of 20518
    Quote Originally Posted by powfiend View Post
    You should expect to be in Val thorens on April 1st... It's spring time and over 2 weeks away it could be powder it could be mank, it could be perfect corn. In all likely hood it will be all of the above. The cheese and wine will be all time though
    And the Folie Douce sauce fest in the sun.
    Quote Originally Posted by iceman View Post
    This is kinda like the goose that laid the golden egg, but shittier.

Just got back from 7 days in Austria. Holy fuck that place is amazing. I'll try and get a proper TR sorted.

Quote Originally Posted by powfiend View Post
    You should expect to be in Val thorens on April 1st... It's spring time and over 2 weeks away it could be powder it could be mank, it could be perfect corn. In all likely hood it will be all of the above. The cheese and wine will be all time though
    Fair enough. I've never been skiing in europe, so I have no idea what to expect. seems like they've gotten decent snow so far this year, so I'm hoping to find some good stuff.

I think I'm headed to Geneva on the March 22nd - 29th solo. Hopefully Cham gets some snow in between now and then.

If anyone is going to be out there that week let me know and perhaps we can split a guide between some folks.

Read differing views but should I rent a car. Ideally looking for the best snow and most mobility within reason. Haven't booked hostels just yet.

Also would be good to get a take on hostels - booking the day of or a night before - bad idea?

Quote Originally Posted by Wickedbrew4u View Post
    I think I'm headed to Geneva on the March 22nd - 29th solo. Hopefully Cham gets some snow in between now and then.

If anyone is going to be out there that week let me know and perhaps we can split a guide between some folks.

Read differing views but should I rent a car. Ideally looking for the best snow and most mobility within reason. Haven't booked hostels just yet.

Also would be good to get a take on hostels - booking the day of or a night before - bad idea?
    Beds depend on the French holidays, dates of which others might be able to fill you in on. No holidays should be easy.

I've stayed at La Tapia before and it was cheap and easy.

If you want flexibility (like heading over to Verbier or beyond) then car, but if you are going to be based in the valley probably don't need one.

For a fun time check out the french website of UCPA, they have some pretty advanced weeks with touring, couloirs and huts, it's a shitload of fun and for what you get its damn cheap. You get literally everything with it, and there is a nice international flavour. Argentiere and Cham are both good lodges, I think Argentiere gets more of the higher level stuff.

Ucpa will get you laid. That's true.
    "Typically euro, french in particular, in my opinion. It's the same skiing or climbing there. They are completely unfazed by their own assholeness. Like it's normal." - srsosbso

The Balkan region got a big hit last week. Some really nice turns to be had. Here is a vid from Wednesday, riding the leftovers.
    Meh, it seems that embedding is not allowed for lurkers, cant even share a link, booo

PS: vimeo.com/121935692
    Last edited by banzai; 03-13-2015 at 02:15 AM.

Between a rock and a soft place. Aberdare and The Brecon Beacons, Wales
    Quote Originally Posted by banzai View Post
    The Balkan region got a big hit last week. Some really nice turns to be had. Here is a vid from Wednesday, riding the leftovers.
    Meh, it seems that embedding is not allowed for lurkers, cant even share a link, booo

PS: vimeo.com/121935692

Cheers Mike

Anyone chasing this storm to Italy? Looks like will be super deep in Monte Rosa. I was thinking of making the trip for Sun-Mon, but struggling to find a partner.
    you don't know if you don't go

I am gonna catch a ride to cham manana and hopefully bum a ride from there. where are you coming from?

Quote Originally Posted by flatland_Dave View Post
    I am gonna catch a ride to cham manana and hopefully bum a ride from there. where are you coming from?
    ^ just replied to your PM
    you don't know if you don't go

Quote Originally Posted by powtario View Post
    Just got back from 7 days in Austria. Holy fuck that place is amazing. I'll try and get a proper TR sorted.
    I share your thoughts! Just spent 12 days there and want to go back ASAP! http://www.tetongravity.com/?ACT=65&...5&temp_dir=yes

^^ Is that Stubai cause if you got first tracks down it props usually have to race to get that one. Used to have a safety bridge over it which had a cool vibe. If its not stubai damn it looks similar!

I´m also chasing the storm and a riding partner would be nice. I think I´ll go tomorrow evening to Argentera or Limone Piemonte, then up to Sestriere or abouts as the storm progresses. Back to LG on Thu/Fri. I have room in the car for two with a small amount of gear. I ride a snowboard, so skiers with the "I always have to wait for boarders" gringe do not need to apply I´m open to other destinations also..

Thanks for the info on UPCA. They have some really long trips 7 days ideally doing a two to three days then seeing where the storm is hitting.

Italy does indeed look like it getting some snow. Then looks to stay overcast through the next week.

Could I get away with renting a two wheel drive car and traveling through the alps if it'd snowing moderately?

Chains get you everywhere needed.

Anybody have idea if Col de Larche is open for sure and I can get from France to Argentera through it? The almighty google doesn´t route me from there, but viamichelin does and this one says it´s open http://www.sport-passion.fr/parcours/etat-cols.php

Quote Originally Posted by j,the snowboarder View Post
    Chains get you everywhere needed.
    Excellent thanks

I´ll be in Argentera or Limone Piemonte tomorrow, riding partners wanted! I have yellow pants, blue jacket and a splitboard with hard boot bindings.

Anyone heading South from the Cham area to catch the storm? Heard stories about it being balls deep today and its gonna dump all night still. Happy to split costs etc.

I also have a video of skiing in Austria. It never snows here so we mainly go freeski alpineering (snow not relevant for this).

Ich bitte dich nur, weck mich nicht.

Snow for the Euros.

^^^120m! I was wondering when that entrance was ever going to end! Line looks amazing, any pics of the whole line from across the valley?

Cross posted from TRs, more Austrian goodness:

Quote Originally Posted by powtario View Post
    ^^^120m! I was wondering when that entrance was ever going to end! Line looks amazing, any pics of the whole line from across the valley?
    the rap is 60m, we had 2x60m rope, which we of course managed to get stuck. random people later took the ropes and somehow identified us and gave them back the next day. magic skiing karma or something.

It's the thing in the center, can't really see it well from anywhere.
    IMG_1687 by klar01, on Flickr

I appreciate the slowmo pillow flop move in your video
    Ich bitte dich nur, weck mich nicht.

Quote Originally Posted by stantonbum1 View Post
    Anyone heading South from the Cham area to catch the storm? Heard stories about it being balls deep today and its gonna dump all night still. Happy to split costs etc.
    Started to be about towards the end of the day https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rz3V...ature=youtu.be