Page 365 of 820 FirstFirst ... 360 361 362 363 364 365 366 367 368 369 370 ... LastLast
Results 9,101 to 9,125 of 20494
    Quote Originally Posted by Meathelmet View Post
    Have to play it by ear!

Dont know how the snowfall affects the mountain passes,wich are open and wich are closed.
    On thu I might stop on the way and ski something in austria or on the border,depending how bad the weather is, and then continue towards corvara/arabba for the night.
    Mate has (probably) arranged some housing in malga ciapella, but I have absolutely no idea if the roads to that village are open if there comes a lot of snow?
    And how good idea is it to stay there if you are limited with lifts / open roads if it decides to snow a lot??

Passo padon is there if you come from Canazei direction, but no info how that keeps open.
    I will be a bit wiser after I know how transfereable my flights are,but staying untill mon/tue is a good possibility!

Btw,deutch,are you staying in st.lorenzo or where? Dont say that you are staying at Schloss Sonnenburg...?!
    Nah, I'm staying in Terento which is 20 minutes or so from Kronplatz. I'm actually helping run a ski club trip but my only duty is to make sure nobody goes crazy in the hotel at night. During the day, I'm free to do as I please - and I'll have my vehicle. I've been wanting to ski Arabba and Cortina for a long time. Frankly, Kronplatz blows goats and is pretty boring (unless there is A LOT of new snow there) and I'll be looking to escape Su/Mo. I know it's a drive to get down to where I want to go, but I'm an early riser so it's no biggy to me. But, you're right - it's going to depend on what kind of condition the roads/passes are to get in to Sella Ronda.

On the way down Friday, we're going to stop at Rosskopf, which is just down the road from the Aus/It border at Brenner Pass. We hiked that area this past summer, so might as well stop and check it out with some snow. It looks like it has some potential. Plus, Vipiteno is a pretty cool town and I'd like to get some photos there with snow.

I'll keep an eye on the weather and look up a little more about the passes in and around Sella Ronda and let you know what I find out.

Quote Originally Posted by steven hatcher View Post
    "Originally Posted by bobinch - Snow all the way down but the path is a long painful snowplough" Thanks for the pictures and the report. 'Pert near what I figured and what I was trying to express to rrmiller. "Suicidal" may be a bit of hyperbole but I get your point. Jumpturn's pictures are nice but clearly from a different time, a time we haven't seen around here since Christmas week.
    I was taking about the path down to Pralong. The path around the Lac de Cleuson is still fine. You can see in pic below. It's no more than a 15 min skate.

I tried the Bec des Etagnes for the first time today.

Nice view of Mont Fort Nort Face from the top

The route down was a bit tricky in the current snow conditions....

And can't say I enjoyed the exposure much

Finally some decent snow on the way down to the dam

Good to ski a new route but would have been a lot more fun in powder......

Quote Originally Posted by vendul View Post
    I was hoping to hit Laax or Lenzerheide next week, but it doesen't seem like it's going to snow there. Anyone has more infoos?
    No info for you on conditions but if you are interested in a 2 for 1 coupon for a daypass at Lenzerheide, pm me your address. Offer open for anybody else interested as I have a few of these that I won't use. Coupon valid until April 25.

Quote Originally Posted by SwissBushwacker View Post
    Just to remind us all that despite the dire conditions, there's still ways of having fun out there, here's a short edit from a friend of mine getting after some:

I reckon with a 'tash like that. Everything he touches turns into golden pussy.

Very good vid!

How are things shaping up in Verb? Is it snowing kind of decently? I've only got a few more holidays left at work and wouldn't want to waste it on some shitty dust on hard rock crust, but if it's any good I might make it down for a long weekend. Thank u!

Journal entry dated 15 February 2011, 12:55 p.m.

Steady rain at lake level. Running at about 1100 meters in the Jura this a.m. I came into contact with what I think our ancestors referred to as "snow." This so-called "snow" seemed to be sticking to the ground on which it fell. A few moments later the white substance was also sticking to my exercise apparel. It made me giggle. I look forward to the return of Ski Season 2010/2011 Ver. 2.

I was hoping to hit Laax or Lenzerheide next week, but it doesen't seem like it's going to snow there. Anyone has more infoos?
    Laax with the southern facing slopes is in quite bad shape.
    Pistes are ok from what I hear, but everywhere else are brown patches and rocks are sticking out. (saw some pics from my family when they were up there last week)
    Kind of spring skiing in February.

This next storm is not going to change much yet. You probably should wait for another front to come through first.

Quote Originally Posted by steven hatcher View Post
    I look forward to the return of Ski Season 2010/2011 Ver. 2.
    I see Ullr is preparing for my impending arrival. First day in Cham will be the 26th. He better have his shit sorted out by then.

First trip to the Alps
    Flying to Geneva next saturday and will be in the alps for a week. Will rent a car or take the train to somewhere in the western alps with fresh snow and good terrain. Any suggestions? Verbier, Zermatt, Andermatt, Engelberg, Champoluc, Courmayeur, Chamonix etc?
    Priorities are fresh snow, good terrain, an area with easily available accomodation, not too many people. Nightlife is not a priority

Just to remind us all that despite the dire conditions, there's still ways of having fun out there, here's a short edit from a friend of mine getting after some:

Keep'em crossed and do the snow dance...
    Well that was preposterously rad!
    Today ridicule, tomorrow really cool.

http://www.left-collective.com/
    FOLLOW YOUR OWN WAY

While some have been whining, others have been climbing higher to get after it.....

Last edited by jumpturn; 02-15-2011 at 06:25 PM.

First trip to the Alps
    Flying to Geneva next saturday and will be in the alps for a week. Will rent a car or take the train to somewhere in the western alps with fresh snow and good terrain. Any suggestions? Verbier, Zermatt, Andermatt, Engelberg, Champoluc, Courmayeur, Chamonix etc?
    Priorities are fresh snow, good terrain, an area with easily available accomodation, not too many people. Nightlife is not a priority
    Dude we have had a dry spell for over a month and warm temperatures every day. Be prepared to climb some shit!!!!

Keep'em crossed and do the snow dance...
    that was awesome

Arlberg

Here´s Alberg a week or so ago. Mostly shot 2 weeks after the last refill (20cm), but still possible to find good snow after just 5 minutes boot packing.

I was at Lenzerheide two days ago. Conditions where not so good. Steep shot off the tram did not look to desirable. We did not have time to tour, but I am sure some good stuff could be found with some effort. Lower elevations look like they are coming into biking season.

That being said, we did ski some nice corn and pow up high off Julier pass the day before.

Quote Originally Posted by sqikunst View Post
    Dude we have had a dry spell for over a month and warm temperatures every day. Be prepared to climb some shit!!!!
    I know. Skinning is absolutely an option. But where in the western alps do you guys think it will be most likely to dump in the next week or so? As mentioned above; the forecasts look pretty good

NO SNOW IN DE ALPEZ

Quote Originally Posted by sf View Post
    I know. Skinning is absolutely an option. But where in the western alps do you guys think it will be most likely to dump in the next week or so? As mentioned above; the forecasts look pretty good

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Naets View Post
    How are things shaping up in Verb? Is it snowing kind of decently? I've only got a few more holidays left at work and wouldn't want to waste it on some shitty dust on hard rock crust, but if it's any good I might make it down for a long weekend. Thank u!
    stay away from verb until www.slf.ch suggests you to go

Quote Originally Posted by powdherb View Post
    NO SNOW IN DE ALPEZ
    awesome! how long was the hike to get to that 300m of powder and how long was the hike out?

Quote Originally Posted by sf View Post
    Keep in mind, too, that next week is part of the three-week cycle for ski holidays. Every Parisian and Londoner with kids and the ability to strap some wood to their feet will be at the major resorts. My advice is to look for smaller places than Chamonix, Verbier and the like, especially if you plan to ride lifts.

um he's crazy. and i like it. anyone know the song? dig it.

I'm going to be in Chamonix and looking to ski from March 6-10, I know its the vacation and its supposed to be crazy but would anyone want to meet up and make some turns? I'd be willing to go elsewhere as well I just need a ride, I'm staying in a hostel in Chamonix. Let me know, I'd love to see some fresh spots since I'm new to the area. I grew up in the north east of the US so its totally different but I assure you skiing is my passion and I can hold my own. A+

et je parle francais aussi si ca vous aide

A little sticky but good in the zone.

Arlberg

As said earlier, even though it`s a while since the last snow, it possible to find some! This is filmed a couple weeks after the last dump in Arlberg and it was allright.