Page 749 of 820 FirstFirst ... 744 745 746 747 748 749 750 751 752 753 754 ... LastLast
Results 18,701 to 18,725 of 20486
    Quote Originally Posted by HellgateBasement View Post
    I like that idea, I just think the problem (with Chur) is going to be availability of housing - especially if I wait until winter to pull the trigger. But maybe I'm misjudging that.
    You may be right about availability in Chur.
    You could also probe Landquart which is a little further away from Davos or try some of the villages up the Rhine like Laax/Flims. Ilanz or even Disentis.

Lots of vacation "apartments" available all over the area that might work, but would likely be located in more small ski towns. Do not underestimate Davos/Klosters for size and variety of skiing.
    https://www.bergfex.com/davos-parsenn/
    https://www.bergfex.com/klosters-madrisa/
    https://www.bergfex.com/davos-jakobshorn/
    https://www.bergfex.com/rinerhorn/
    https://www.bergfex.com/davos-pischa/
    Last edited by Buster Highmen; 04-27-2022 at 04:42 PM.
    Merde De Glace On the Freak When Ski
    >>>200 cm Black Bamboo Sidewalled DPS Lotus 120 : Best Skis Ever <<<

Chur has improved a lot in the last few years, location is perfect:
    - Brambrüersch is the town own ski resort, with the Tram station right in mid town
    - Churwalden 20 min by bus
    - Pizol 30 min by bus
    - lenzerheide 50 min
    - Disentis 1 hr
    - Klosters 50 min
    - films laax 30 min
    And you can get the season pass for Flims-Davos-Lenzerheide
    It is lively (for its size) and cheap (for local standards)
    Down side, in mid winter not too much sun and often windy… but hey you live in Amsterdam
    But probably more realistic fo at least 6 months, I don’t think it’ll be easy to rent something for only one month.

Inviato dal mio iPhone utilizzando TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by vendul View Post
    Chur has improved a lot in the last few years, location is perfect:
    - Brambrüersch is the town own ski resort, with the Tram station right in mid town
    - Churwalden 20 min by bus
    - Pizol 30 min by bus
    - lenzerheide 50 min
    - Disentis 1 hr
    - Klosters 50 min
    - films laax 30 min
    And you can get the season pass for Flims-Davos-Lenzerheide
    It is lively (for its size) and cheap (for local standards)
    Down side, in mid winter not too much sun and often windy… but hey you live in Amsterdam
    But probably more realistic fo at least 6 months, I don’t think it’ll be easy to rent something for only one month.

Inviato dal mio iPhone utilizzando TGR Forums
    I’d second that Chur worth a look. It’s the Graubunden financial/political hub, so would expect housing should be meaningfully easier/more flexible than anything in or around a resort. Also, easy (if a bit long) train access to Zurich airport (<1.5h door to door I’d expect).

Bit of new snow also to Finland from going on dump at Lyngen alps!

Lähetetty minun LYA-L29 laitteesta Tapatalkilla

If you have money, don't rule out Zürich or Luzern.

Good connection to Bernese Oberland and Engelberg/andermatt/airolo "really"(luzern eberg is 30min by train) close by. Good connection to glarus areas. So you're set for West, north and southern Stau patterns. Crowded though. But Hey.. you're considering innsbruck
    Chur area is much better in that regard, but more fickle snowwise. The areas there need strong nw flow.
    It's a war of the mind and we're armed to the teeth.

You have 1 month and a couple of hours a day to ski. Stay in a ski resort. Staying down the valley will just mean more travel and less ski time

Snow for the Euros.

Yeah. Young kid, a couple hours to ski, possibly working late USA hours…I’d be sleeping as close to a lift as I could. Engelberg would be my personal call for that, but I’ve only skied there when it was empty. Mid winter crowds might push me elsewhere too.

Quote Originally Posted by bobinch View Post
    You have 1 month and a couple of hours a day to ski. Stay in a ski resort. Staying down the valley will just mean more travel and less ski time
    Quote Originally Posted by kathleenturneroverdrive View Post
    Yeah. Young kid, a couple hours to ski, possibly working late USA hours…I’d be sleeping as close to a lift as I could. Engelberg would be my personal call for that, but I’ve only skied there when it was empty. Mid winter crowds might push me elsewhere too.
    Hard to argue with that logic. So then it's 1. where I can find something close to a lift that won't have me dipping into the kid's college fund before it gets started 2. a reasonably safe bet for snow conditions 3. not a clusterfuck of school vacations 4. fun terrain, and 5. not completely isolated (even better if accessible by public transportation)
    Everybody's gotta have parkas. I'm talking custom parkas. Two words: "client development." They see all of you out there cutting the powder in your matching Schweikart & Cokely parkas, you'll make an impression. You will thank me later.

Hard to argue with that logic. So then it's 1. where I can find something close to a lift that won't have me dipping into the kid's college fund before it gets started 2. a reasonably safe bet for snow conditions 3. not a clusterfuck of school vacations 4. fun terrain, and 5. not completely isolated (even better if accessible by public transportation)
    You sure are asking for alot.

Solid work.

Quote Originally Posted by kathleenturneroverdrive View Post
    You have not skied empty Engelberg om a powder day. Unless you maybe went there in the 20th century

Empty normal Engelberg is quite easy if it hasn't snowed a while in early January.

And yeah staying in a resort is maybe the best move, hgbm.
    I'd still recommend the eberg andermatt airolo axis for versatility of snow patterns. But if you book a tourists appartement, just wait until shortly before to see where the base is.

Quote Originally Posted by subtle plague View Post
    You have not skied empty Engelberg om a powder day.
    Unfortunately, you've got that part 100% right

What sort of terrain / experience are you looking for? Full on gnar vs big well connected piste cruiser heaven? Any country preferences? Budget?

If you’re not bothered about facilities / nightlife and want to max the skiing Siviez is worth a look. You can get an apartment for around 2500chf for the month of March and it has the fastest access to some of the best skiing in the Verbier 4 Valleys area. Example: https://abnb.me/Nd7gAYO9Dpb

Quote Originally Posted by Morroi View Post
    Consider using the train to hit the French Alps: les 2 Alps, Alpe d'Huez, les Arcs plus some other smaller resorts are easily accessible (4h tops) by train + shuttle from Paris Gare de Lyon.
    Wanted to give you a belated thanks for this recommendation (I got distracted by all the wine and cheese and walking 30km a day on the Rhone Balconies route). Wound up sneaking 3 days in at Les 2 Alps Apr 24 - 26. Got the expected sunny groomer day, then a storm hit and got a nice 20cm of powder - made all the more exciting by my skinny DIN 5 rental skis and cavernous boots. Transport was simple, the resort was simple, my high school French was horrendous but enough to keep me fed.

I may have to sneak back for a longer trip with my 3 months off next winter so I can bring my own gear and explore a bit more.

Still going here in the Southern Alps, but the end is in sight unless we get some precipitation below 4000m.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=57aJ..._channel=JackF

Quote Originally Posted by JackSkier View Post
    Still going here in the Southern Alps, but the end is in sight unless we get some precipitation below 4000m.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=57aJ..._channel=JackF
    Attempting to get some info on 3 Vallees but having technical difficulties posting. This is a test.

Quote Originally Posted by DSG_Mantra View Post
    Attempting to get some info on 3 Vallees but having technical difficulties posting. This is a test.
    Yay!

I have a milestone birthday in January 2023, and trying to arrange a bucket list ski trip to Europe. FWIW, I am an Epic Pass holder and have so far confined my potential choices to 3 Vallees, Verbier and St Anton. Leaning hard towards 3 Vallees, so much so that I’ve booked an 8 bed chalet in Meribel from Jan 26 to Feb 2.

We have a very diverse group from beginner up to expert with potentially a backcountry guide. People coming from US, Europe and Asia. I’ll need something where the apres is excellent, the slopes offer a wide range, but has enough white-knuckle stuff and hopefully pow, to keep the entire crew happy.

If in 3 Vallees, where to stay? Val Thorens, Meribel or Courchevel? Any tips on finding a qualified backcountry guide? Will we be hitting the France national school holidays or UK holidays during that time?

Any reason to can 3 Vallees and go for St Anton, Verbier or even Andermatt?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Jan 26 to Feb2 is just before the big midwinter holiday.

Trois Vallees is high enough to guarantee decent snow and has all the apres you could want. Courchevel is a great locale for nightlife, but it's expensive and not very endemic. We didn't get down to Meribel. Val Thorens is up in a moonscape and has tres moderne hotels and bars but feels stark and brutal.

Similarly, St. Anton is also snow sure and has lots of Teutonic apres drinking and carousing. Again, not very reflective of a local culture, is crowded and expensive. But lots of guide services and available sidecountry. I've only passed through St. Christophe and Zurs, but they seem more "genuine". Again, expensive, exclusive if that's your jam.

Verbier is also a great place, huDge variety and scope. A good friend who is quite well to do claims it is better than Chamonix for skiing. But it's also expensive, crowded on piste and in town and lacks a local vibe. The sidecountry there is amazing. Let bobinch chime in.

Andermatt SkiArena is snow sure and has a variety of skiing from the steeps of the Gemsstock through the easy slope of Natchen, Oberalp and Dieni as well as the easier Disentis pistes. Not sure if it has enough variety for apres, but there's a little more local color there. The Chedi is the big snazzywad. Lots of guide options there too and amazing sidecountry. The SkiArena one of my favorite places in part because it's not as gaudy as others mentioned, but I'm not too inclined for the apres scene and go for the skiing. The EuroTGR connection there is https://www.mt-lodge.com/

I don't know what you're really looking for.

A couple other good places that I've liked are Davos/Klosters and St. Moritz. They both have warranted reps for snootiness and posh, and the apres in those places is as over the top as anywhere but there's a lot of great skiing and all the vacation resources imaginable. Ice skating on the lakes, caviar and champagne in a horse drawn sleigh? There's even hot springs in the St. Moritz area *(Samedan).

We liked Briancon a lot (Serre Chevalier and the Milky Way) too. Genuine, local French flavor, great skiing.

The Jungfrau (Murren, Wengen, Grindlewald) also blew me away. Lots of local flavor, good nightlife access, history and culture. Murren with the Schilthorn is amazing for steeps and sidecountry. Wengen is posh with cool old hotels.
    Last edited by Buster Highmen; 06-30-2022 at 09:22 PM.

Heading to Davos for work in late November through mid January. Any recommendations for passes? Or do day tickets/tour and explore more?

Never spent much time in the Alps in winter, so looking forward to checking it out!

You don’t have to leave that valley, it’s got more then enough to offer.

Quote Originally Posted by NWFlow View Post
    Heading to Davos for work in late November through mid January. Any recommendations for passes? Or do day tickets/tour and explore more?

Never spent much time in the Alps in winter, so looking forward to checking it out!
    I think our man in Klosters recommends this one: https://www.topcard.info/en/ . It's $1500, so maybe just day tickets will be a better deal for you?
    Davos/Klosters is awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by beer30 View Post
    You don’t have to leave that valley, it’s got more then enough to offer.
    Yeah, it looks almost like an almost unmanageable amount of terrain.

Thanks, I'd found the top card. I might just splurge and do that anyway, hoping to have lots of mornings And afternoons free to ski, but we'll see.

Quote Originally Posted by Buster Highmen View Post
    Jan 26 to Feb2 is just before the big midwinter holiday.

Trois Vallees is high enough to guarantee decent snow and has all the apres you could want. Courchevel is a great locale for nightlife, but it's expensive and not very endemic. We didn't get down to Meribel. Val Thorens is up in a moonscape and has tres moderne hotels and bars but feels stark and brutal.

Similarly, St. Anton is also snow sure and has lots of Teutonic apres drinking and carousing. Again, not very reflective of a local culture, is crowded and expensive. But lots of guide services and available sidecountry. I've only passed through St. Christophe and Zurs, but they seem more "genuine". Again, expensive, exclusive if that's your jam.

Verbier is also a great place, huDge variety and scope. A good friend who is quite well to do claims it is better than Chamonix for skiing. But it's also expensive, crowded on piste and in town and lacks a local vibe. The sidecountry there is amazing. Let bobinch chime in.

Andermatt SkiArena is snow sure and has a variety of skiing from the steeps of the Gemsstock through the easy slope of Natchen, Oberalp and Dieni as well as the easier Disentis pistes. Not sure if it has enough variety for apres, but there's a little more local color there. The Chedi is the big snazzywad. Lots of guide options there too and amazing sidecountry. The SkiArena one of my favorite places in part because it's not as gaudy as others mentioned, but I'm not too inclined for the apres scene and go for the skiing. The EuroTGR connection there is https://www.mt-lodge.com/

I don't know what you're really looking for.

A couple other good places that I've liked are Davos/Klosters and St. Moritz. They both have warranted reps for snootiness and posh, and the apres in those places is as over the top as anywhere but there's a lot of great skiing and all the vacation resources imaginable. Ice skating on the lakes, caviar and champagne in a horse drawn sleigh? There's even hot springs in the St. Moritz area *(Samedan).

We liked Briancon a lot (Serre Chevalier and the Milky Way) too. Genuine, local French flavor, great skiing.

The Jungfrau (Murren, Wengen, Grindlewald) also blew me away. Lots of local flavor, good nightlife access, history and culture. Murren with the Schilthorn is amazing for steeps and sidecountry. Wengen is posh with cool old hotels.
    Thanks so much for the comprehensive run down. I’m going to look into St. Anton and Verbier as well as St. Moritz. Proximity to airports is also a consideration. Glad to see I’m going to miss the national vacation in France if I decide on 3 Vallees. If it was just me, My priorities would be plenty of pow and steeps, then apres, shopping, etc. But most of those joining will be on groomers and more into the food/culture/ apres.

Quote Originally Posted by Buster Highmen View Post
    I think our man in Klosters recommends this one: https://www.topcard.info/en/ . It's $1500, so maybe just day tickets will be a better deal for you?
    Davos/Klosters is awesome.
    Or invest 500 francs more and have free public Transport in the whole state , St. Moritz, disentis/ andermatt, Samnaun /ischgl and the Rest of Graubünden included. That should Set you up for most snow patterns, ski touring and getting to all places.

More skiing than you can do in one lifetime

https://www.graubuenden.ch/de/graubuendencard

Sorry I didn't find an English version....

Quote Originally Posted by DSG_Mantra View Post
    Thanks so much for the comprehensive run down. I’m going to look into St. Anton and Verbier as well as St. Moritz. Proximity to airports is also a consideration. Glad to see I’m going to miss the national vacation in France if I decide on 3 Vallees. If it was just me, My priorities would be plenty of pow and steeps, then apres, shopping, etc. But most of those joining will be on groomers and more into the food/culture/ apres.
    Don't overlook Swiss trains, they're amazing. There's lots of connections from either Zurich or Geneva to Verbier, St. Anton, St. Moritz, Andermatt/Disentis SkiArena.
    https://www.sbb.ch/en/timetable.html
    Trois Vallees and Val d'Isere/Tignes each require a bus, taxi or car connection as do Lech/Zurs.

St. Anton doesn't have the cosmopolitan vibe that either Davos/Klosters or St. Moritz has. In order of snow surety I'd rank St. Anton first, then Davos/Klosters then St. Moritz. Don't overlook Davos/Klosters for a good balance for you and your group.