Page 318 of 821 FirstFirst ... 313 314 315 316 317 318 319 320 321 322 323 ... LastLast
Results 7,926 to 7,950 of 20521
    so, >2000 m verb did not suck this we

Anyone going to be in Chamonix or Verbier on Thursday?

If more snowfalls like is forcasted for Wednesday night, I was thinking of taking a vacation day on Thursday to go boarding at either two. It seems to be a colder storm, so the snow could potentially be quite good. PM if you are interested.

Arash

FYI, weeekend avys

British skier swept away and killed in front of friends in Italian Alps avalanche

A British skier has been killed after an avalanche in the Italian Alps, mountain rescue officials said today.
    The 37-year-old man, who has not been named, was swept away by tonnes of snow as he skied with a group of five friends and a guide who were all British.
    Mountain officials said that heavy snow in the last few days had resulted in the avalanche risk as the fresh falls had not yet had a chance to bind to the mountains.

The tragedy happened at Val Di Rhemes, near Aosta, on the 9200ft Mt Rosso as the group made its way off piste near a run called the Punta Paletta.
    The avalanche, which occurred at around 5pm, was around 1,300ft long and 300ft wide and engulfed the victim and one of his companions.
    Rescue teams managed to pull both men alive from the snow, but one died on the way to the Parini hospital in Aosta.
    Across the Italian Alps, which is preparing to welcome British holidaymakers during the busy Easter holidays, there were a series of avalanches over the weekend.
    On Friday, a Norwegian man was killed at Courmayeur and his companion - who was skiing with him off piste - has been charged with manslaughter for causing the avalanche.

So for this winter more than a dozen people have been killed in avalanches in the Italian Alps.
    Delfino Viglione, a mountain rescue commander in Aosta, said: 'A 37-year-old British man has tragically been killed in an avalanche and a companion of his was also hit by the snow but survived.
    'The group were skiing off piste when the avalanche took place.'
    When asked if it had been caused by the group, he added: 'That will be a question for the investigating magistrate who has opened a file and is speaking the group and the ski guide.'
    He added that the group were from Huddersfield, but would not release any further details until next of kin had been informed.
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/worl...avalanche.html

Saas-Fee on Sat

Along with Arash (Orash111), Jay (Ripzalot), Marco (paz), and Gilles, we had a great morning at Saas-Fee this past Saturday yielding some pictures worth showing - especially since this thread was directly responsible for bringing us all together. Thanks guys for sharing some amazing turns!

Ripzalot

paz

Gilles

The next day, Arash and I hit Verbier:

Orash111
    Last edited by nstadie; 03-29-2010 at 07:13 AM. Reason: Picture URLs did not work...

Quote Originally Posted by Incompetent Boob View Post
    BTW, saw a guy with a change for a nickel sticker on the back of his helmet and a freeskiers.net sticker on the front - who was that? I didn't get the chance to say hello.
    that would've been me...

freak~[&]

Anybody else in St. Anton this week?

Any plans for a maggot meet-up in mid-late April? Cham.? Verb.?
    Skiah for life

So, I told you I would bring snow for the euros (even those little secret stashes)!

Cham was acceptable on Monday.
    [ame="http://www.tetongravity.com/forums/showpost.php?p=2814686&postcount=77"][/ame]

So, it's been a good season so far all in all?
    Ein Berg ohne Absturzgefahr ist nur noch Attrappe. (Reinhold Messner)

not that much...................

Hey anyone want to go to Cham tomorrow from Lausanne?

I may be able to go, but am not sure yet. The snow seems to be coming down pretty good over by grand montets.

Am in Verbier. Got off to a slow start thanks to illness. Into my stride now though, and happy to make turns if anyone heads over here - although likely shortish days for me as I am trying to juggle family stuff with skiing.

Last few days have been generally low-vis. Refrozen, nasty snow down low but remarkably decent heavy soft snow above 2200m. Snowing on and off today up high. Wind has been blowing it around; I'd worry about slabs when the weather opens up. Not many people around. Fresh tracks when I could see where I was going. Not too bad for almost April.

Quote Originally Posted by Misty_Fly View Post
    one of the deepest days of the season in tignes today. opened all 5 of the fingers today [CLAIM!]... gotta love changeover day! skiing with 2 members of freeride rockstar royalty [EVEN BIGGER CLAIM!!] didn't suck either...

unfortunately a function of the latter was that 130% concentration and commitment was required to keep up, so no photos unfortunately. you'll just have to take my word, if if not i call TCK to the stand as the only other maggot witness/participant. more on the way midweek it seems... 11th hour, in the nick of time. is there such thing as an indian winter?
    It's true. The epicness might not have been measurable. Epic in a more subdued manor. First tracks on everything in the Mickey's Ears/Pandora's Box area. And it was chest deep!

Quote Originally Posted by Franz Klammer View Post
    So, it's been a good season so far all in all?
    if good=lots of snow, not really... at least not in austria...

freak~[&]

Its looking good....

Will be in Cham tomorrow and Zermatt saturday until monday in case anybody around who wants to hook up for some turns.

The central Alps are getting in shape for the week end.........

Quote Originally Posted by sassa View Post
    Its looking good....

Will be in Cham tomorrow and Zermatt saturday until monday in case anybody around who wants to hook up for some turns.
    Maybe in Zermatt on Sunday or Monday. No sure yet. Let you know.

today, g3000 was knee deep blower down to midstation, boot deep to the bottom.

According to the staff, the AM picked up 1.5m in the last storm. The arete avalanched on both sides. We skied some nice pow today, as did a few thousand others.

[ame="http://www.tetongravity.com/forums/showpost.php?p=2818930&postcount=84"][/ame]

Paznaun and Silvretta are nicely shaping up after a couple of smaller dumps. Boot to knee deep blower right now.

Today did not suck. Not by far. Val D'anniviers delivered the goods, as always! Nice bit of blower pow, and literally no one else going after the goods. Saw maybe 3-4 all day getting some, and just spent all day lapping a couple of different spots.

1.5m in cham is a bit optimistic... we were there until tuesday and the got 20-30cm before monday and then 20cm.... unless the meter fell wed-fri im not really certain.....

the crowds are/were incredible
    It's a war of the mind and we're armed to the teeth.

Quote Originally Posted by subtle plague View Post
    1.5m in cham is a bit optimistic... we were there until tuesday and the got 20-30cm before monday and then 20cm.... unless the meter fell wed-fri im not really certain.....
    Yeah, believe what you want; it sounds plausible to me from skiing the Rond Monday, Wednesday and Friday and watching the rocks disappear on the exit couloir.

They measure the depth usually by what they shovel off the AM. They are probably talking about Wednesday-Friday.
    Last edited by jumpturn; 04-03-2010 at 04:11 PM.

The spring monsoon is the best time of year to be in cham. You just have to be lucky enough to catch it....

skied some of the deepest pow i have skied in a long time on the Montets on Thursday... just sayin'
    fur bearing, drunk, prancing eurosnob