Page 509 of 820 FirstFirst ... 504 505 506 507 508 509 510 511 512 513 514 ... LastLast
Results 12,701 to 12,725 of 20483
    Quote Originally Posted by Hicks View Post
    So which one of the tracks was Dr. Pup's?
    this was a recreational outing. Dr. Pup and I only interact at the workplace, sadly.

Quote Originally Posted by Marius View Post
    ^^freak's line was the third one seen from the far right. epic!
    I think you do not know who Dr. Pup is.

Quote Originally Posted by freak View Post

busy day in the office?

Quote Originally Posted by irbis View Post
    In case you haven't read it yet, please do. Klar has articulated how I feel about skiing and how I think most of you do as well.
    always nice to know one is not alone

pic from yesterday: freak on his way to some still excellent snow.

Ich bitte dich nur, weck mich nicht.

I am glad Klar is on TGR. She is like an Easter lily blooming from a dung heap.

As expected
    Quote Originally Posted by freak View Post
    attempt on clarification. no pups, no doctors.

freak~[&]
    #1 goal this year......stay alive +
    DOWN SKIS

Anyone been to play in the Kalkoegel recently? Any word on conditions? Looking for something to do near IBK this weekend, and haven't got 'round to doing anything up there yet... (Any other tips/suggestions would be much appreciated too, bearing in mind I'm likely going solo so don't need the gnarliest of gnarly gnarwhales).

pretty busy there at the moment. lots of tracks. other than that, conditions are quite good. just need a new snowfall to cover the tracks...

freak~[&]

Cheers dude

Quote Originally Posted by geo039 View Post
    As expected
    thank you, freak, for the enlightening illustration
    ~#at night the highway's diesel roar/speaks to me and tells me more/than any book I've ever read/or anything you've ever said#~

if you haven't seen herr_stoiber 's TR please do so it's one of the best this season
    that's not bad...
    www.nosiesta.com
    IFMGA Ski & Mountain Guide

Quote Originally Posted by herr_stoiber View Post
    thank you, freak, for the enlightening illustration
    as always. he definitely should turn this into his profession! fuck this glaciers and permafrost. they'll melt anyway!

Quote Originally Posted by klar View Post
    this was a recreational outing. Dr. Pup and I only interact at the workplace, sadly.
    Good to see you'd love to spend more time with your boss aside from work, way to go.

I was lazy on Saturday with the prospective of having to travel again for the whole week, but today we decided to got out and prove a point (yes, you can find a place to ski without breakable crust). And lucky for us, we were right: some re-frozen crust in the lower elevations, but sweet compact grippy white further up!

Started skinning, then cramponing, topped out in the fog and had a really nice run down "Rote Schütt", a rather easy but not too much frequented couloir on Austria's eastmost > 2000m mountain.

Yes yes, not the most epic day of the year, but something for the heart.

~#at night the highway's diesel roar/speaks to me and tells me more/than any book I've ever read/or anything you've ever said#~

Grands Montets looking splendid above the clouds today

Nice ski tour Col du Passon
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMGP5757.JPG 
Views:	17 
Size:	89.5 KB 
ID:	136155  

I've had some good times in Europe the last two seasons.
    St. Anton in Feb, 2012:

The Dolomites in March, 2012. There was almost no snow, but we still made the best of it.

Verbier March 2013:

And Val d'Isere/Tignes March 2013:

Now I have the itch even more than ever. The question is where to next. So many places, so little time. I was so bummed about the snow in the Dolomites. I knew there wouldn't be any snow going in, but the trip there has left me wanting to go back to ski all the Sella/Staunies Couloirs. But, I also want to explore as many places as possible. I like couloirs and I like steeps. So, the places I haven't been to that I'm considering are: Engelberg/Andermatt, Monterosa Ski, Chamonix/Courmayeur, La Grave/ADH/Les Deux Alpes. I'm having a tough time deciding on where to go next. I generally go with on piste skiers and then I go off with a guide, so La Grave trip probably won't come first. And because of limited time, I like places with ease of access to the good stuff. Am particularly intrigued with Alanga/Gressoney, but is the snow totally unreliable? It's so hard planning these things in November/December without having any idea what the snow will be (obviously).

Quote Originally Posted by Thatcher View Post
    Am particularly intrigued with Alanga/Gressoney, but is the snow totally unreliable? It's so hard planning these things in November/December without having any idea what the snow will be (obviously).
    Well, this year (and most often from what I have heard) the one thing you can definitely rely on in the high Alpine of Alagna/Gressoney is strong winds during/right after every snow storm.

it's such a short drive across the Alps, just get a plane ticket, a car and some maps/guidebooks... the south is probably less reliable, but there'll always be something to ski, especially if you drive 10minutes away from popular places like eberg, Stanton or cham.

Gross Ruchen - Sunday April 1, 2013
    The longest classic single day skitour in central Switzerland (starting at 1000 m topping out at 3138 m)

Finally getting out of the fog at 2400 m. (Gross Ruchen in the background)

Above the fog in the holy land.

Gross Ruchen to the right, Oberalpstock and the Staldenfirn in the background to the left.

The last pitch without skis to get to the top.

On top was some pretty nice wind pressed powder.
    Here in the upper third of the Chaelen some nicely warmed up/softened pow... however diving into the fog again at 2300 m. A few more hundred verticals are OK, and then some of the worst breakable crust of the season.

Even though snow conditions were variable today, this tour was a memorable one.... but would have been even a lot more memorable when the meteorologist would have been correct and the fog would have disolved in the afternoon.

Quote Originally Posted by bobinch View Post
    Grands Montets looking splendid above the clouds today
    Now, there is some world class slack country to left and to the right!

It's quite impressive from an airplane flying GVA-ZRH.

I was on the wrong side of the plane flying out from GVA last week. The view would have been spectacular

Some late season pow today, lots of wind had made it respectably deep on the right aspects. Getting nice and warm, but still good quality pow.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1-DSC03403.JPG 
Views:	170 
Size:	515.5 KB 
ID:	136310

Some stoke from the past season I thought I would share (sorry for the pov, I'm usually too stoked to even think about pictures or filming):

After six months of surfing in Spain, a nice re-discovery of the white fluffy stuff in Engelberg:

Then I had to finish my phd, but once the book was in, it was on for a powderful weekend at Mürren (that place is amazing! so much terrain, so few people):

Unfortunately I then did a decent tomahawk, losing the camera, so that's it for this season's footage (if anybody finds a blue Contour a the Schilthorn, let me know .

I'm looking into doing a couple days of touring at the end of april, early may. I'm not a huge fan of realy long tours but prefer a bowl (I don't mind a couple hours of approach) where we can do a bit of laps. Anybody has any suggestions to check out (preferably Austria or Switzerland)?

Bye

Nice job riding back into the slide you let off !!!

Springtime, now for real.

Mini-TR: http://www.tetongravity.com/forums/s...r-eastern-Alps

Some of the best turns this year up on Gele Thurs/Fri and yesterday with Orash and Geo on Mont Fort.

Name:	1-DSC03402.JPG 
Views:	169 
Size:	463.2 KB 
ID:	136486

Name:	1-DSC03413.JPG 
Views:	160 
Size:	343.1 KB 
ID:	136487

Name:	1-DSC03403.JPG 
Views:	148 
Size:	515.5 KB 
ID:	136488

Hit Dog-Leg today but it was already fairly heavily tracked. Just after we came out on the apron someone fell badly. Looked like he fell up on the rocks above central, maybe 20m below the peak and tomahawked all the way to the apron. He got heli'd out, I hope the injuries weren't too severe, it was a long, long fall.

Jeeez ^^^

Eiger W face today was insanely deep and freeridey. Took 7 hours to get about 100-150m from the summit (starting at 2000m). The top was super rocky anyways, so we got all the goods. Pictures I will hopefully have soon.

looking forward to Eiger stoke.