Page 570 of 821 FirstFirst ... 565 566 567 568 569 570 571 572 573 574 575 ... LastLast
Results 14,226 to 14,250 of 20520
    Jesus, sounds like "freeriding" is going through some major growing pains. Sorry to hear about all the accidents. Hope this trend slows in a few years.

Quote Originally Posted by CarveMan View Post
    Yeah I've spent plenty of time in Jackson and more in Cham, I will say that nothing prepares you for Cham and you'll feel like a total gaper, but slightly less so due to living in JH.

Glaciers are scary.
    Underlying ice and high angle are more so.

I am reminded of the ill-fated JH trip that resulted in 1 dead on mont blanc de tacul tacul from underlying ice and another getting avalanched from the tirangle all the way down the glacier rond.

http://www.piquenewsmagazine.com/whi...nt?oid=2557652
    Last edited by jumpturn; 02-03-2015 at 04:38 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by stantonbum1 View Post
    Skied a ***TOP SECRET*** spot in CH close to Verbier today and had untracked in the trees all day with pretty much no one else out
    Top secret, as long as you dont read LC's blog.

Gopro attached to side of shoe with selfie stick?

Quote Originally Posted by peds View Post
    Ehh, that all looks okay (if you like that sort of thing), but who needs 50cm of blower pow when you can have three inches of the slickest Warwickshire red clay to lay down some fresh tracks through...

No avalanches here, either.

But no, on a more serious note, trail running still sucks several flavours of ballsack. I'm so glad winter has arrived for everyone, just make sure you enjoy it responsibly.
    Ich bitte dich nur, weck mich nicht.

Avies in Switzerland yesterday.....

http://snowbrains.com/8-people-die-4...y-switzerland/

Snow for the Euros.

Stuck to low angle quest pow in Le Tour Saturday while the crowds crushed GM
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTGR Forums1422818432.100234.jpg 
Views:	154 
Size:	654.0 KB 
ID:	163305
    Went back to GMToday in my fav conditions. Zero viz and over the head. Set off a few small slabs, storm came in with graupel, unstable..
    'waxman is correct, and so far with 40+ days of tasting them there is no way my tongue can tell the difference between wood, and plastic made to taste like wood...but i'm a weirdo and lick my gear...' -kidwoo

Had a blast staying the trees all weekend. Nice to have decent coverage in the sub alpine for once. Brunson, Champex, and Rochers de naye all skied deep.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1422828524026.jpg 
Views:	130 
Size:	75.6 KB 
ID:	163307  

Quote Originally Posted by klar View Post
    Gopro attached to side of shoe with selfie stick?
    Nope, GoPro attached to a racing chicken. Training them for a competition next summer. They are fast, but their map reading is terrible, so I just have them follow me around at the moment.
    Short stories about snow and rock, and pictures, too

Quote Originally Posted by stantonbum1 View Post
    Avies in Switzerland yesterday.....

http://snowbrains.com/8-people-die-4...y-switzerland/
    dang. there's at least one unreported avy on that chart. subtle, maybe we should have said something.

slf avy map is glowing read again. when will it be safe(r) again to ride in the upper alpine?

http://www.slf.ch/lawinenbulletin/index_DE

Quote Originally Posted by jumpturn View Post
    This gives it away...
    Quote Originally Posted by rob stokes View Post
    Top secret, as long as you dont read LC's blog.
    noobs....it's an old joke here.

Quote Originally Posted by peds View Post
    Nope, GoPro attached to a racing chicken. Training them for a competition next summer. They are fast, but their map reading is terrible, so I just have them follow me around at the moment.
    Neat. I have been thinking of a similar project involving my neighbours cows.

Quote Originally Posted by Ripzalot View Post
    dang. there's at least one unreported avy on that chart. subtle, maybe we should have said something.
    Always say something, seriously. Send an email to your avalanche center with obs of how when where, size of slide and if it's a big one that someone else might worry about, call mountain rescue and tell them nothing happened. They wont give you shit. They will however send a bunch of people out to probe in your slide if someone else calls it in and they aren't sure whether someone's in it.
    Ich bitte dich nur, weck mich nicht.

klar is so 2005 regarding pov cams. pft.

Always say something, seriously. Send an email to your avalanche center with obs of how when where, size of slide and if it's a big one that someone else might worry about, call mountain rescue and tell them nothing happened. They wont give you shit. They will however send a bunch of people out to probe in your slide if someone else calls it in and they aren't sure whether someone's in it.
    do it.

some more recent activities from mighty Arlberg with pics and some infos in ze german.
    For information purpose: we ski tracked out bump runs. that steep looking faces are small and untouched pockets. i did not photoshop tracks out or whatever, usually at the corner of these pics, there are tracks. a lot of them. ne need for suicide runs these days. atm i would not suggest to go that steep outside of runs where you are not 100% sure they are totally tracked out already and regularly.

see this (watch in fullscreen). it happend when we were shooting/skiing fun laps. first avy lookers left. nothing happend. next guy/gruop entered the couloir one more on the right. he also triggered an avy, tumbled over the rocks and triggered with his slide the second avy. he was partially buried as official sources say. and injured. 1 guy digging him out in the pic. 8 standing around. also take a look at the other 8-10 guys on top of the run. less then half have proper equipment. 1 just fell, 1 is just about to crash.

yeah, normally i would have but subtle said something to the effect that they acknowledged that they were ok and it was on them to report it. it was last run of the day, by the time i pushed back from the end of the road, i had forgotten to ask again. i'll send in something today. i got a pic from the end of the road.

Name:	02-02-2015 11-24-13.jpg 
Views:	153 
Size:	168.6 KB 
ID:	163338  
    Last edited by Ripzalot; 02-02-2015 at 04:43 AM.

when will it be safe(r) again to ride in the upper alpine?
    at least over here, probably once meltwater within the snowpack kills those deep instabilities, so depending on the elevation and aspects of the slope mid april/mid may.

if there is a lot of new snow, things might improve, as in "skiers wont matter much, since there is so much weight (all the snow) on the slopes anyways". would be really bad if you trigger something small in the new snow, which then causes a slide on the deep instabilities.

freak~[&]

and here's a tourist shot of subtle...

Name:	image1.JPG 
Views:	167 
Size:	699.9 KB 
ID:	163339  

Quote Originally Posted by Marius View Post
    For information purpose: we ski tracked out bump runs. that steep looking faces are small and untouched pockets. i did not photoshop tracks out or whatever, usually at the corner of these pics, there are tracks. a lot of them. ne need for suicide runs these days. atm i would not suggest to go that steep outside of runs where you are not 100% sure they are totally tracked out already and regularly.
    This should be stuck on a poster at the top of every chair lift in the Alps for the next few weeks!
    Short stories about snow and rock, and pictures, too

This is like a "Where's Waldo" of clusterfuck.

Quote Originally Posted by Marius View Post

Breakfast tasted pretty good this morning:

Weird stuff. The avy danger has been 4 the last days in cham area. Today we went to St.Gervais/Megeve as the weather charts showed the
    cloud cover could break there as it was sink in cham this morning. Lo and behold, skied with sun & good viz the day, lapped balls deep fluff.

There was some wind waves in the snow on NW aspects (2000-2400m), close to the ridges but basically no slabbing. Just 40-80cm of really consistent snow. I have never lapped so much faceshots during one day in my life.
    No glidecracks, no slabs, and marginal sluff.

Some lower parts of the mountains that didnt have a base week ago and the snow didnt come with a lot wind in some aspects so there can
    be found some relatively safe skiing. I think I´ll stick to that the next few days..

The floggings will continue until morale improves.

Quote Originally Posted by jumpturn View Post
    Underlying ice and high angle are more so.

I am reminded of the ill-fated JH trip that resulted on 1 dead on mont blanc de tacul drom underlying ice and another getting avalanched from the tirangle all the way down the glacier rond.

http://www.piquenewsmagazine.com/whi...nt?oid=2557652
    Yeah, glaciers are scary. I've spent some time on them (real ones, not the ones in the tetons), but I'm fully prepared to feel like a total gaper and ski the chillest of lines. All of it will be awesome and a new experience.

Quote Originally Posted by JRainey View Post
    This is like a "Where's Waldo" of clusterfuck.
    Was thinking the same thing myself...

and here's a tourist shot of subtle...
    meh tourists. I hate em!
    It's a war of the mind and we're armed to the teeth.

Another random question for the euro folks... How hard is it to find something other than a groomer ski to rent? Online it seems like I can ONLY rent slalom skis.

Heading to Zillertal over easter, and only have my tech set-up in Europe at the moment. Don't really want to rip around inbounds for three days on it...

Try to find rentals?
    Put some more inserts in the ski and throw on some alpine binders?

Thoughts?

In Zillertal these guys can probably help: http://www.greenroom.at/index.php/ski-und-board-verleih