Page 537 of 820 FirstFirst ... 532 533 534 535 536 537 538 539 540 541 542 ... LastLast
Results 13,401 to 13,425 of 20491
    Quote Originally Posted by Zeedashbo View Post
    It would be rad if that camera was facing downhill.

Nice o face btw
    no problem manClick image for larger version. 

Name:	Screen Shot 2014-01-30 at 00.39.00.jpg 
Views:	153 
Size:	736.6 KB 
ID:	149476

Advice needed.

Have flights booked 12-19.2, flying to munchen.
    My mate is around until 15th when he flies back.

The challenge here is that I am a brokeassnigga atm, I will have to think up something creative for the last 5 days.
    As it apparently the holiday week, the prices of lodging is frigging high for single rooms in most resorts.

So, basically I am thinking that "cheapest" place would be some place with train connection to munich airport, like Innsbruck or mayrhofen.
    That way my friend could return the rental and I would take the train back to the airport.

But, what would be my options in this case : sub 3h train connection, cheap lodging available and more than 100m vert to ski?

Had to pay 10k of surprise taxes so that "kind of" threw my budget out of the fucking window, so now I have to find a way to
    do the trip super cheap or cancel it altogether. And I dont want to cancel it...I want to ski, goddammit!

The floggings will continue until morale improves.

It's been a while since I've been on skis, like one day at an indoor slope since i left Bozeman for London in 2011. Just booked a week in Cervinia March 8 - 15th. I spent a day there back in '88, but don't remember much except a near high speed incident with a group of sun bathing italians and accidentally ending up at Zermatt.

I'm not really in ski shape, working on it, but... I'm thinking about hiring skis instead of bringing my monster Bluehouse Shoots. Any suggestions on where/how to hire a decent pair of mag-worthy skis in Cervinia? I have dynafit titan boots, so can swap soles for AT or downhill bindings.

Anyone in the area around this time? I'd like to hire a guide for a day to get the feeling for the off piste, maybe share the cost or find someone to explore with?
    "They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety."
    Ben Franklin

Nr the sea , on the other side of the pond..
    why doesn't your friend train back and you drop the rental back when you are done?

Quote Originally Posted by Meathelmet View Post
    Advice needed.

The challenge here is that I am a brokeassnigga atm, I will have to think up something creative for the last 5 days.
    As it apparently the holiday week, the prices of lodging is frigging high for single rooms in most resorts.

So, basically I am thinking that "cheapest" place would be some place with train connection to munich airport, like Innsbruck or mayrhofen.
    That way my friend could return the rental and I would take the train back to the airport.

But, what would be my options in this case : sub 3h train connection, cheap lodging available and more than 100m vert to ski?

Had to pay 10k of surprise taxes so that "kind of" threw my budget out of the fucking window, so now I have to find a way to
    do the trip super cheap or cancel it altogether. And I dont want to cancel it...I want to ski, goddammit!
    Semper in Pulveris .... Only the depth varies

Quote Originally Posted by wildstyle View Post
    why doesn't your friend train back and you drop the rental back when you are done?
    Mmm..my reasoning was the budget. Rental with insurances is about 35€/day x 5 = 175€. Single way train ticket with discounts 25€.
    Yep, the car would give the freedom to live down in the valley where there could be cheaper lodging.
    But, during the 15+ years of cruising around alps, I dont think I have traveled with a train more than once, so it could be a "nice" experiment.
    Only need to find a reasonable plan first.

^^^ Sounds like the areas around Garmisch-Partenkirchen and/or Innsbruck are close to Munich and offer some nice skiing.

Mmm..my reasoning was the budget. Rental with insurances is about 35€/day x 5 = 175€. Single way train ticket with discounts 25€.
    Yep, the car would give the freedom to live down in the valley where there could be cheaper lodging.
    But, during the 15+ years of cruising around alps, I dont think I have traveled with a train more than once, so it could be a "nice" experiment.
    Only need to find a reasonable plan first.
    where are u hiring? @dieboerse in IBK? they have a fantastic quiver in there rental
    side seth - side stash - automatics - bc - blogs - prophets etc etc etc and u can always talk with them!

Quote Originally Posted by nordekette View Post
    where are u hiring? @dieboerse in IBK? they have a fantastic quiver in there rental
    side seth - side stash - automatics - bc - blogs - prophets etc etc etc and u can always talk with them!
    Hehheh...you mixed me and fez!! I am renting a car, but coming to austria and fez is renting skis in italy...

^^ I think he is talking about a car not skis.... I had a free room in IBK but looks like its rented out in the mean time. Ill ask and get back to you as to if the room is full up during the time you are here.

Advice needed.

IBK would fit for cheap but it's too far from most skiing IMO and while you do have the option of a free bus since it only goes to most places once a day you are constricted on first lift/last lift.

Have you looked around some place like Flachau or Radstadt? Flachau often has plenty of privaatzimmers in the 25-30 euro range for a single and there's a Spar in town. Snow sucks now but with the Amade card you could make Zauchensee or Dachstein gletscher if there's no improvement by trip time.

Quote Originally Posted by cloud cult View Post
    IBK would fit for cheap but it's too far from most skiing IMO and while you do have the option of a free bus since it only goes to most places once a day you are constricted on first lift/last lift.

Have you looked around some place like Flachau or Radstadt? Flachau often has plenty of privaatzimmers in the 25-30 euro range for a single and there's a Spar in town. Snow sucks now but with the Amade card you could make Zauchensee or Dachstein gletscher if there's no improvement by trip time.
    Actually I take myself back. Though the train ride is further and I think the lift tickets slightly pricier, the valley north of Mayrhofen can have impressively cheap rooms. I was looking in January (low season granted) and found several under 20E a night, brekkie included. Not bad looking places, either, and a short skip to the bus line.

Quote Originally Posted by A2thaK View Post
    Do you think the roads will be open from Milan to Selva on Sunday? Drove it last year in sunny conditions, but not sure how that 10km or so from the main highway will be.
    gardena should be ok. of course you never know with these kind of snow-amounts (they already got quite a bit) and it is in italy after all, but if they close the valley there, everything will be closed anyways.
    i think roads to arabba and some other places might be closed soon.

freak~[&]

Weather finally broke down here in Genoa, after over two days of solid pouring rain. Can see a good layer of snow in the foothills above the city.
    Leaving about 6AM for a run up to Limone for couple of days, should have some great stuff tomorrow. If it's anything like last week will have pretty much the whole hill to myself on Fri before the masses arive on Sat.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN2725.jpg 
Views:	224 
Size:	1.39 MB 
ID:	149551
    yes yes yes

Name:	DSCN2748.jpg 
Views:	256 
Size:	881.0 KB 
ID:	149605today @ #sattelberg
    good 20cm of wet mank S ) good enough for me
    my brother reported heavy winds from the top

may ullr protect everybody who is in the south!

Quote Originally Posted by nordekette View Post

Name:	DSCN2748.jpg 
Views:	256 
Size:	881.0 KB 
ID:	149605today @ #sattelberg
    good 20cm of wet mank S ) good enough for me
    my brother reported heavy winds from the top

may ullr protect everybody who is in the south!

Don't look to Ullr to save you. That's all on us to not be stupid.

Over a meter being reported in parts of Italy! Wow! Go get it Euro mags!
    "We don't beat the reaper by living longer, we beat the reaper by living well and living fully." - Randy Pausch

Something is not right here...Nassfel-Hermagor is CLOSED today because of too much snow. Honestly, you Yodelers, the hoax is up, give us our snow back!!! Not like you guys even know what to do with over a meter of West Coast cement anyways, we'd be happy to send you some icy couloirs in return.

Signed: The concerned residents of North America's West Coast.

...Kidding. GO GET SOME!!!

There is one awesome place about 50m uphill from hellbronner cable car, some guide is having a B&B kind of place there. Stayed there last
    january, a really awesome place. Was relatively affordable, not like 10€ night or anything, but if I remember
    right, we paid something like 60€ for 2 persons, hotel funivia if I remember right?
    Sweet, looks like that will work. Thanks

yeah, guy driving a snowplow in his town died in a slide in East-Tyrol today. Other guy was somehow caught in a slide next to his house and thrown in a creek, where he drowned, also in East-Tyrol. Lady in Carinthia got hit by a slide while driving in her car and called help by phone, she was rescued unharmed. People are being evacuated in Carinthia and some towns there and in East-Tyrol are now cut off from the rest of the world. Avalanche danger 5 (!) is being predicted for tomorrow in the affected regions, already was at 5 in southern Carinthia today. Would be the first time in 15 years in Tyrol. This is beyond "it's on the skiers not to be stupid", on the news they are literally telling people in affected regions to "consider waiting it out in their cellars". The problem with 1-2 meters of west coast cement in the Alps is that the Alps are rather more densely populated than the mountains of the american west coast.
    Ich bitte dich nur, weck mich nicht.

It's pretty wild. I'll update the Powderguide.com forcast tomorrow morning before i leave, but Models see antother 80-130cm on the 120-180cm that have already fallen in the east. even Switzerland, far away from the epicenter, easily got within my predictions of 60cm while the slf.ch only saw 20-40cm yesterday.

and medium range forecast looks interesrting for the next weekend again. nothing catastrophic, but still like a little dump.
    It's a war of the mind and we're armed to the teeth.

too bad that all that new snow is so wet...

freak~[&]

yeah.. that's what I'm fearing for tomorrow :/ some places deep in the valleys still look pretty dry on webcam. even at 1000m. while other stuff seems wet up to 1800+
    It's a war of the mind and we're armed to the teeth.

Most of Limone closed today, only few pistes/lifts open. Next to impossible to ski off piste, snow to deep!! Any attempt to go off piste, even a few meters off, and skiis would submarine and you'd come to a complete stop in thigh to waist deep snow, take 20 mins to crawl out. If you fell you'd be in a bomb crater chest deep. A few lightweights/kids on big boards could get around some. I'm 200lbs plus gear, sunk like a rock, lol. If it's the same tomorrow I'll just grab the skinny skis and stay on p.

Quote Originally Posted by BerettaRacer View Post
    Most of Limone closed today, only few pistes/lifts open. Next to impossible to ski off piste, snow to deep!! Any attempt to go off piste, even a few meters off, and skiis would submarine and you'd come to a complete stop in thigh to waist deep snow, take 20 mins to crawl out. If you fell you'd be in a bomb crater chest deep. A few lightweights/kids on big boards could get around some. I'm 200lbs plus gear, sunk like a rock, lol. If it's the same tomorrow I'll just grab the skinny skis and stay on p.
    Out here we call that "good base building snow". You will appreciate it come springtime

+++vibes to all those involved in the crazy avalanche activity. Hopefully there aren't too many more unhappy endings

My gf is on a touring trip in Kärnten atm - Lesachtal or something I think.

Over 150cms in the last 30 hours... They're not getting out the valley anytime soon!

Meanwhile I'm in Japan and it's sunny :S