Page 425 of 821 FirstFirst ... 420 421 422 423 424 425 426 427 428 429 430 ... LastLast
Results 10,601 to 10,625 of 20506
    Need to keep on first page How are things in the Zillertal/Fugen? Be safe out there!!

Quote Originally Posted by sqikunst View Post
    @McDee I am skiing all next week leave IBK in the morning usually pretty early and make clutch decisions as where to go an any given day. Usually turns out pretty good though ... PM if you want details about next week.
    Will do sqikunst, doubt i'll have much time before the weekend, but i'll send a PM if i do. May be next week.

Quote Originally Posted by MrsG View Post
    Need to keep on first page How are things in the Zillertal/Fugen? Be safe out there!!
    pretty good, still nice snow in all aspects except south, very good base.

pics from sunday

freak~[&]

^^ FAkEtUrN !i!i!i!i!

I'm coming over on Fri for 2 weeks. First week in Portes du Soleil, Second week will jumping around, Verb, Cham and some small resorts hopefully. So we dont know a thing about Portes Du Soleil but we were givin a free place to stay for a week in Torgon. The one thing I do know is Torgon is a little family place and we will not be skiing there very much. Anybody have any recomendatons on which resort to focus on in the PDS that we can reasonably access from Torgon lifts daily? Thanks in advance , Phil

Tracked out refrozen skiing in front of tasty ice climbing. Pent de l'Hotel, Grands Montets, January 17, 2012.

Were you planning on something from the top as well, jumpturn? We were first in the queue at 09:15 with plans to tour over the glacier, when they announced it was closed until 10:45. We went to the Midi instead, after destroying the Pierre à Ric back down.

The morning was an exact copy of many mornings last year, when because of the depressing lack of snow people would queue for the first bin, sharpened elbows and everything, to have fresh tracks on the Pierre à Ric corduroy. Sad times.

Quote Originally Posted by peds View Post
    Were you planning on something from the top as well, jumpturn? We were first in the queue at 09:15 with plans to tour over the glacier, when they announced it was closed until 10:45. We went to the Midi instead, after destroying the Pierre à Ric back down.
    We were at the front of the line. Just as well, it was going to be COLD..... PM me and we'll have a beer as we discuss high culinary arts...
    Quote Originally Posted by Marius View Post
    ^^ FAkEtUrN !i!i!i!i!
    British skiers trapped in Austria after snowfall of 18ft - January 11, 2012

Thousands of British skiers are stranded in villages in the Austrian Alps after a freak snowfall of up to 18ft.Among the worst affected resorts is Ischgl, popular with British holidaymakers for its extensive skiing and nightlife, as well as Galtur and St Anton am Arlberg..... more
    Last edited by jumpturn; 01-17-2012 at 01:51 PM.

Oh, you were the pansies in front of us who left their skis there and went to enjoy a coffee in the warmth of the lodge, eh? We built a campfire right on the rubber mats and huddled around it against the wind, with our paper cups of rapidly-cooling coffee.

I could grab a beer tomorrow, PM on the way.

Quote Originally Posted by peds View Post
    Oh, you were the pansies in front of us who left their skis there and went to enjoy a coffee in the warmth of the lodge, eh? We built a campfire right on the rubber mats and huddled around it against the wind, with our paper cups of rapidly-cooling coffee.
    No, Morgan took his skis with him. He is paranoid after having to snatch them back from a thief two years ago at the midi. We in were in front of Tomo and son, pro Japanese racers. (They are the guys to draft on a powder day....the only problem is they have 195 Kuros and I only 172s from EBay. )

Just burn the matts and inhale....

Quote Originally Posted by comish View Post
    skied some older pow in the Arlberg today. Beautiful day. Took some hunting and needed to stay northish facing to not have a crust, but certainly fun.
    Nice. Do you know where he took you? Just heard from my bro that you picked up my ABS pack. See you on Saturday.
    Fresh Tracks are the ultimate graffitti.
    Schmear

Set forth the pattern to succeed.
    Sam Kavanagh

Friends of Tuckerman Ravine

Hmm, shaping up to be another interesting weekend

From the lack of response I'm thinking Torgon sucks. We will make it work. Love the photo of the Grand Montets, makes me want to bring ice tools. Whats better than ice 100 feet from the hotel pub....maybe a run full of pow.

Any beta of La Grave/La Meije, and particularly whether it will get dumped on this weekend? Debating a weekend there with friends or whether to head further east instead (based in Geneva area), maybe some of the weather-guru mags can weigh in...

Also, there's been talk of getting a guide to show us around the place, having never been there before I'm assuming it's a good idea?

Keep crossing fingers for this weekend guys

Quote Originally Posted by SwissBushwacker View Post
    Any beta of La Grave/La Meije, and particularly whether it will get dumped on this weekend? Debating a weekend there with friends or whether to head further east instead (based in Geneva area), maybe some of the weather-guru mags can weigh in...

Also, there's been talk of getting a guide to show us around the place, having never been there before I'm assuming it's a good idea?

Snow guess thinks it gets heavy snow Friday night.

It's a pretty manageable area so you can self-guide the basic lines. There are ski topos around town you can check out.

Aux Vieux Guide has a gîte and a great restaurant. It's a good deal. Basic accommodations and nice food. Also, you save euros on the lift tickets by buying them from your gite/hotel. Skiers Lodge has the full plan swedish style with their own guides. The Edelweiss Hotel is run by an english guy and his dutch wife. Good wine cellar, restaurant, hot tub, sauna and BD test center.
    Last edited by jumpturn; 01-18-2012 at 03:43 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by philth View Post
    From the lack of response I'm thinking Torgon sucks. We will make it work. Love the photo of the Grand Montets, makes me want to bring ice tools. Whats better than ice 100 feet from the hotel pub....maybe a run full of pow.
    as a primary destination, yeah, it kinda sucks. it's quite small but there are some steep areas and a few trees (iirc). might be interesting in a storm. it's on the outer edge of the PDS domain, lift linked with chatel. you've got access the rest of PDS that way, but all the nearby linked stations are rather small and tame and it would burn up a lot of time getting to one of the bigger stations, like les crosets or avoriaz. (torgon-chatel-morgins-champoussin-les crosets-avoriaz) it might be better to ski down to chatel village and take the bus up to the other side of chatel (end of the valley) and lift-link from there. chatel and morgins have lots of trees, so they could be ok in a storm. but i've never skied there so i can't say for sure. on the swiss side, torgon is quite isolated and driving down and to another resort is not quick. the road is steep and winding and will be difficult if there is a lot of snow. you can probably drive to champery or les crosets in 45m in good conditions. other nearest options would be the alpes vaudiouse (leysin, villars, les diablerets), verbier, ovronnaz. all these are probably an hour away.

Quote Originally Posted by philth View Post
    Love the photo of the Grand Montets, makes me want to bring ice tools. Whats better than ice 100 feet from the hotel pub....maybe a run full of pow.
    You can apply your ice tools to ski a buffet of south facing crust in the waning sun!

Last edited by jumpturn; 01-18-2012 at 11:33 AM.

Any beta for Aletsch Arena? Woods (considering the bad weather coming this way)?? 20chf ticket this saturday...
    Always Fight Gravity

Last couple of weeks have been nice. Conditions and coverage in Tyrol are great. Some areas are windblown but plenty of good snow still to be had. I haven't been carrying a camera at all and my computer is too shitty to edit any longer videos, but here is a short one from couple days ago (touring at Fernpass):

kahen kilo tourinkia.

P1164546 von klar01 auf Flickr
    Ich bitte dich nur, weck mich nicht.

Quote Originally Posted by keksie View Post
    Last couple of weeks have been nice. Conditions and coverage in Tyrol are great. Some areas are windblown but plenty of good snow still to be had. I haven't been carrying a camera at all and my computer is too shitty to edit any longer videos, but here is a short one from couple days ago (touring at Fernpass):

Untouched Pow and Bluebird

finger crossing for the upcoming front

Ripz, thanks for the beta. Thats about what I expected after a bit more research. As I said we got the place for free so we went for it. We will have a car for most of the trip so we can treat it like a home base. Just happy to get over there this year. Leaving friday...stoked.

Jump, nice viddy, thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by SwissBushwacker View Post

Bear in mind that if you hit La Grave in the midst of a storm cycle, it's highly likely that the top section of the lift won't be open and you'll be lapping the trees from 2400m down to P1 at 1800m. That will cut out most of the classic routes. Not saying it's not still fun, but you'll probably get more and better storm skiing just over the Lautaret at Serre Che.
    "Nothing is funnier than Hitler." - Smokey McPole

Eventually in for a long weekend around Verbier from Friday/Saturday on.

I'm thinking about a run upto the Aosta area for the weekend. I picked up a used demo pair of Dynastar Sultan 94's last week that I want to try out. Probably do Courmayeur, I've only been there one day before and liked the trees on the west side of the ridge, but top wasn't open that day. Like to try la Thuile too, supposedly has a few steeps and trees.
    Had thought about seeing Chamonix for first time but probably not a good idea if it's going to be snowing all weekend, and I guess the big name freeriders are there for the week.