Page 221 of 821 FirstFirst ... 216 217 218 219 220 221 222 223 224 225 226 ... LastLast
Results 5,501 to 5,525 of 20504
    Quote Originally Posted by geo039 View Post
    Rumor..didn't happen. ...a little place up the road I heard may be good too!

Get intouch before you get down. I will SMS you right now with the new digits.
    Mmmm, ja, I see what you mean... No need to head down that way.

Snow was a little thicker today.

That's good (kinda?) it won't blow away this time. The coverage in the trees is good even down low around 1500M, but the recently covered rocks are now hiding just below the snow... As my French friend Mathieu can tell you... He now has a rather big gouge in his base to prove it. That's French for...

The temperature is warm(near freezing) at 1500 Meters, 5:00 pm in the Valais.

More snow expected on Friday and Saturday.

Yes, We Can... On at 6:00 pm, watch it...

Exclamation Level 4

I rolled out of bed about 10 and headed off to Crévoux for more tree skiing. Got there about 11 and reached the top at about 11:30. There were fresh tracks everywhere all day in the 20-40 cm received atop an ample base. Snow quality was excellent on top (500m) but a little heavy at the bottom (300m). Fortunately, they closed the left side due to level 4 avi risk, so probably not all of the 20 people there tracked up that side. The black piste remained a fresh powder run all day! Only the 40º stuff way left was sloughing hard, but everything else was stable. My legs are now officially cooked after turning my 183 Bros into tree skis (nothing like a 33m turn radius to get you in shape!). I managed to get a few photos but motivation was tapped as the day wore on, the clouds rolled in, and it snowed harder. Plus, we were too busy schralping and dodging slough in the higher angle trees!

Looking at the right side about 11:30

Looking straight down at some hero pow.

A nice run down a gully for a warm-up.

The black piste wasn't getting much traffic due to avi closure so it made for a fine second run, and remained a pow run all day!

Neither was the woods!

Killer right side tree skiing is pretty fun. Both those tracks are mine!

More snow rolled in and reduced visibility for good photos as we focused on the higher angle trees.

Not even working for freshies...
    Last edited by jumpturn; 01-20-2009 at 03:09 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by jwolter7 View Post
    Snow was a little thicker today.
    Yup, that is good so that it will stick to the ice in Chamonix and get some couloirs into shape when the next snow lands on top of this heavy round.

Quote Originally Posted by Vihren View Post
    I must admit I am a bit confused ... heading towards the French Alps next week, will stay in La Grave and around for a week.. the forecasts are crazy! 1,5 meters of snow over the next six days??? WTF, is that even possible? I need to buy new skis for this trip , my first real backcountry experience in the Alps.. any advice, besides getting more practice on skiing in the back seat with my tiny 94 mm underfoot skis?
    You can test out Black Diamond and Rosignol skis at La Grave, or you can rent top gear for your daily needs (eg, arva, shovel and probe) at Objectif La Meije -- good guys and they know their stuff.

La Grave gets to be really fun whenever you get 1m or more at a shot AND the next day is clear.

Horizon and I plus friends spent the weekend in Chamonix and around. we skied in Courmayeur on Friday, nice soft snow, but not really a powder dream. Saturday split between Argentiere and Le Tour, most lifts closed due to the incoming storm. Still good fun. Horizon also stayed there on Monday and I guess he has a couple of photos to share (we did not take any photos on Friday or Saturday)
    The beatings will continue until morale will improve.

Belgians should not be allowed to ski.
    "Nothing is funnier than Hitler." - Smokey McPole

Quote Originally Posted by Roo View Post
    Belgians should not be allowed to ski.
    The beatings will continue until morale will improve.

Euros, please be careful out there.. Avalanche danger going up rapidly this week.

I've created a google-like search engine for regional avalanche reports especially for the euro-mags, so there's no excuse not to know your local situation! Check it on www.wepowder.com/avalanche.

Quote Originally Posted by AH View Post
    I've created a google-like search engine for regional avalanche reports especially for the euro-mags, so there's no excuse not to know your local situation! Check it on www.wepowder.com/avalanche.
    thats actually a pretty cool site, but you should somehow be able to choose the language.. or maybe it should take you to the main site of each specific avalanche institute.

for example i search for avy report for tyrol, AUT -> i get a pdf in german
    i search for avy report for valais, CH -> get a pdf in french but don't speak any french

Nice feature, Bart. Pulled up the Isere bulletin promptly when I entered Alpe d'Huez.

Quote Originally Posted by keksie View Post
    thats actually a pretty cool site, but you should somehow be able to choose the language.. or maybe it should take you to the main site of each specific avalanche institute.

for example i search for avy report for tyrol, AUT -> i get a pdf in german
    i search for avy report for valais, CH -> get a pdf in french but don't speak any french
    We're working on different languages, but not all languages are available just yet. Hoping to improve over time though.

fwiw, I backed filled some photos for reports about Vallee Blanche descents in early January in case anybody wants to see how nasty the return cruxes were.

imho, avi reports are no substitute for hands on avalanche safety training, appropriate equipment, and the knowledge to avoid having to use them.

flingle's motto is to stay on slopes 45º and up; it's that low angle hero pow so frequently pictrured on tgr that will kill you.

Like here for example Overall very nice work. I am just jealous...the man continues to keep me down, so post it up Euro-mags...how was today?

Quote Originally Posted by jumpturn View Post
    flingle's motto is to stay on slopes 45º and up; it's that low angle hero pow so frequently pictrured on tgr that will kill you.
    #1 goal this year......stay alive +
    DOWN SKIS

I am arriving in Chamonix tomorrow, and staying untill Sunday 1st Feb. Then onto Briancon & La Grave until Saturday 7th Feb. It would be great to meet up with any Mags, please send PM if in town. I have avi gear.

Yesterday was nice in Leysin.
    I returned to a fresh face on top, which opened at noon.
    I skied it.

Plus an assortment of other fresh all over.

Heading out now for today.
    Will post a pic or 2 later on.
    Ski, Bike, Climb.
    Resistence is futile.

Welcome HOME to snowy CH! Have fun.
    Quote Originally Posted by TeleAl View Post
    Yesterday was nice in Leysin.
    I returned to a fresh face on top, which opened at noon.
    I skied it.

Plus an assortment of other fresh all over.

Heading out now for today.
    Will post a pic or 2 later on.
    DOWN SKIS

right- my first euro trip of the year starts now: I'll be in engelberg for Friday-Sunday. Will be with a friend and happy to meet up with any other mags there. local knowledge a plus

on the local knowledge front: it looks like it'll be stormbound Friday-Saturday, and the places I remember hitting last year wouldn't be a good idea in low vis/sans guide. Any suggestions on good places to go in such situations?

Quote Originally Posted by cberry View Post
    on the local knowledge front: it looks like it'll be stormbound Friday-Saturday, and the places I remember hitting last year wouldn't be a good idea in low vis/sans guide. Any suggestions on good places to go in such situations?
    Yucatan, bro, Yucatan.

Quote Originally Posted by geo039 View Post
    I am just jealous...the man continues to keep me down, so post it up Euro-mags...how was today?
    since you ask...

Quote Originally Posted by cberry View Post

edit... because I guess I didn't really read your question before. So now that I have: if visibility is not good you could maybe try the Brunni side.
    Last edited by LaZapatilla; 01-22-2009 at 11:23 AM.

Krusty mank in E-berg Looks fun and glad to see the base is being set for the Ripz and Geo annual March adventure.
    DOWN SKIS

ill be around somewhere.
    maybe chx or Ov on sat. and somewhere else if sun indeed is sunny.
    It's a war of the mind and we're armed to the teeth.