Page 672 of 813 FirstFirst ... 667 668 669 670 671 672 673 674 675 676 677 ... LastLast
Results 16,776 to 16,800 of 20323
    here something from amy 25th, austria
    It's a war of the mind and we're armed to the teeth.

no one out on bikes over our side?

Sent from my SM-G930F using TGR Forums mobile app
    i dont kare i carnt spell or youse punktuation properlee, im on a skiing forum

of course we do! been a slow start to the season for me though. just got back from lac blanc france (alsace)

North America: affordable places to stay near mountain for a group of 6 or 7.

OK, this is super early, I know, but I want this trip to go as well as possible, and I gotta start narrowing down my options a little bit. I'd love your input, so please bear with me.
    I'm organizing a ski/snowboarding trip for a group of friends (mostly beginners, all in our early 30s, they'd be taking at least 1 day of lessons) next year (Jan. 30 - Feb. 3, 2020). We only have a few days off for this trip, and don't want to drive more than 1 - 1.5 hour from the city where we land to the resort. We'd also prefer to minimize the use of the rental car, so finding not-crazy-expensive accommodation near the resorts would be the best, where we could walk or take a short public transportation ride to go to the lifts.
    Based on dates, resorts' proximity to airports and flight costs I've narrowed it down to 4 different areas, although I haven't picked specific resorts yet. I'm open to suggestions based on our accommodation preferences: Lake Tahoe, flying into Reno; Rocky Mountains near Denver; Banff (think Norquay and Sunshine Village, more than Lake Louise) and the Laurentides near Montreal.

Quote Originally Posted by m443bb View Post
    OK, this is super early, I know, but I want this trip to go as well as possible, and I gotta start narrowing down my options a little bit. I'd love your input, so please bear with me.
    I'm organizing a ski/snowboarding trip for a group of friends (mostly beginners, all in our early 30s, they'd be taking at least 1 day of lessons) next year (Jan. 30 - Feb. 3, 2020). We only have a few days off for this trip, and don't want to drive more than 1 - 1.5 hour from the city where we land to the resort. We'd also prefer to minimize the use of the rental car, so finding not-crazy-expensive accommodation near the resorts would be the best, where we could walk or take a short public transportation ride to go to the lifts.
    Based on dates, resorts' proximity to airports and flight costs I've narrowed it down to 4 different areas, although I haven't picked specific resorts yet. I'm open to suggestions based on our accommodation preferences: Lake Tahoe, flying into Reno; Rocky Mountains near Denver; Banff (think Norquay and Sunshine Village, more than Lake Louise) and the Laurentides near Montreal.
    you want to get some titty photos posted up 1st, of your not too younger sister/milfy mum or missis then think about which forum to post in JONG

Quote Originally Posted by Ripzalot View Post
    of course we do! been a slow start to the season for me though. just got back from lac blanc france (alsace)
    you road ride or mtb?

Quote Originally Posted by Rossymcg View Post
    you road ride or mtb?

almost exclusively lift served downhill. once a year i might push up a ways.

i had started a thread in Sprocket Rockets called Dirt for the Euros a long time ago. Not enough eurobikers to keep it going.

I've never skied in Europe before and would love to make the pilgrimage next year--thinking a 2 week trip from Jan 4-18 or so. My top goal is to ski powder, followed by big terrain, and to accomplish that and do it safely, I'm thinking I should probably be paying for guiding. That said, I'm a student on a limited budget, so have a few questions I'd appreciate your insight on.

1) Am I significantly better off renting a car and chasing snow over doing 1 week in Alagna and another in St. Anton with a full-time guide? (looking at http://alagnaskiguides.com if I can get a group of 4, seems like a solid deal)

2) If I do rent a car, will it be relatively easy to find affordable (<$100/night) accommodation throughout Europe if I'm not picky about staying down valley from major resorts?

3) Do you know of any guides or trip organizers that do snow-chasing trips in Europe? I'd be willing to pay a bit more to avoid renting a car, finding lodging, choosing guides, etc.

4) Anyone want to join? I want to stick with private guides to avoid the crapshoot that is a public group. I have at least 1 friend who wants to join, but guides are expensive and it'd be great to defray the cost more.

Quote Originally Posted by Skeeze View Post
    I've never skied in Europe before and would love to make the pilgrimage next year--thinking a 2 week trip from Jan 4-18 or so. My top goal is to ski powder, followed by big terrain, and to accomplish that and do it safely, I'm thinking I should probably be paying for guiding. That said, I'm a student on a limited budget, so have a few questions I'd appreciate your insight on.

1) Am I significantly better off renting a car and chasing snow over doing 1 week in Alagna and another in St. Anton with a full-time guide? (looking at http://alagnaskiguides.com if I can get a group of 4, seems like a solid deal)

2) If I do rent a car, will it be relatively easy to find affordable (<$100/night) accommodation throughout Europe if I'm not picky about staying down valley from major resorts?

3) Do you know of any guides or trip organizers that do snow-chasing trips in Europe? I'd be willing to pay a bit more to avoid renting a car, finding lodging, choosing guides, etc.

4) Anyone want to join? I want to stick with private guides to avoid the crapshoot that is a public group. I have at least 1 friend who wants to join, but guides are expensive and it'd be great to defray the cost more.
    My take being a Euro witha fair amount of experience in the Alp, wait till closer the time book your flight for Geneva ooening up lots of places.
    Both of your choices will give you exactly what youre after but dont discount the likes of La Grave and Serre Chevalier, the Espace Killy(Tignes/val Disere), Verbier, the 3 valleys. Most big resorts offer instructor led/ mountain guide groups running on a daily basis for all skill and experience levels.
    In St Anton ive used piste to powder
    val disere ive use progression ski and alpine expeiences
    In Tignes ive used snoworx
    In Cervinia i used a ski school that had off piste guiding.
    The ski club of great britain organises weekly off piste guiding in many resorts as well at great rates

oh and for renting a car just go on a comparision site its the cheapest but donr use their insurance go on a comparison site again for that it will be a quarter of the price

Keep in mind a few things:
    1- January has the best snow, but statistically it is very hard to have a widely spread decent snowpack around the Alps. That's why I would not focus on specific resorts now...
    2- january is low season, this means you can get good deals and don't have to book months ahead
    3- chasing powder doesn't get as frenzy as in North America, you can hit great lines days after the last snowfall.
    4- Monterosa and St Anton get their snow in two completely different ways, which it means that it is very likely that if one has snow the other one won't

You'll need a car to access Alagna, which actually has a pretty poor snow average. Make sure it's worth it. Cars are expensive, particularly for solo travel with gas, parking and tolls adding up. Plus rail is more environmentally efficient. Alagna is mind blowing for scope of descents and it's beautiful.

You don't need a car to access St. Anton. The best deal I found for guiding there was with the http://arlberg-guides.at/ who offered a guided group option for 97Euros for the first day, then about 60% thereof for each of the following days (97E, 54E, 34E, etc). Lots of lodging walking distance from the train.

Lodging availability depends in where and when you go. Mid to late January is low season, February is generally crowded (le vacances for students) and then by midMarch, things slow down again. Renting a car has nothing to do with lodging options really, lots are accessible via train. January can be thin on cover, but, in my experience, is a time when one gets stormed out due to massive storms shutting things down.

Like Rossi says above, there's a lot of fantastic skiing all over from central Austria in the East, through the Arlberg, all across Switzerland and into France, not to mention Italy. In Switzerland and Austria, rail access is fantastic. Italy and France have some skiing access via rail and bus, but not as good as Switzerland or Austria.

Some of us will be returning to Andermatt/Disentis to stay in Rueras at https://www.mt-lodge.com/ midMarch . I've skied around Yurp a little bit and Andermatt is really a great location for consistent snow and big descents. I'd add Davos/Klosters to Rossi's list as well as Engelberg(train access), The Milky Way (Via Lattea, train access at Oulx) and Cervinia.

I can recommend places to stay in La Grave, Briancon (Serre Chevalier), St. Anton, Bad Gastein and Val Gardena (Dolomites) if you want. mt-lodge in Rueras is really nice.
    Merde De Glace On the Freak When Ski
    >>>200 cm Black Bamboo Sidewalled DPS Lotus 120 : Best Skis Ever <<<

I've done train/bus only trips and car only trips. Busses and trains are not necessarily cheaper than cars, and with a car you can stay somewhat out of town in a cheaper inn. If you are just taking trains, then you have to stay within walking distance (with all your gear) of a station, and those are not cheap. You could take a taxi, but just a few of those will add up to serious expenses.

breakdown on costs depends on the resort(s), country and how much you want to move ime.

most train stations have bus service; in St. Anton the skibus runs to most of the valley; savings further away aren't much ime and if you are that far away... ski somewhere else. lots of costs vary widely - cabs, inns, food, etc. - and lodging prices vary with season.

FWIW, last winter I spent $356 for a Eurail pass valid in Austria, Switzerland and Italy, valid for 6 days of travel over the course of 3 weeks, ZRH->Konstanz->St. Anton (70E/night walk distance to train)->Klosters (90CHF/night walk to train)->Rueras(70CHF/night walk to train)->ZRH
    Last edited by Buster Highmen; 07-26-2019 at 12:46 PM.

Greatly appreciate all the feedback thus far. I'm most likely going to be traveling with 1 friend which helps with car rental, gas, and lodging costs, so given the advice in the thread, I'm strongly leaning toward getting cheap flights and a rental car and figuring it out at the last minute.

Rossymcg and anyone else who has skied with guided public groups in Europe--have you found that it's normal to get consistent ability and fitness levels? I'm far from a professional skier, but I do ski and hike faster than most, plus I'm accustomed to waking up early and getting first chair, etc. I know the snow stays fresh longer in Europe, but am I at risk of getting stuck in a slow/non-expert group if I join a public off-piste clinic? Put with a bit more specificity, is there any chance a public group is going to be among the first up to the top of the Valluga on a powder day, or do I need a private guide for that?

Venduls--Sedrun and Mt. Lodge is certainly on the shortlist, although guiding seems especially expensive in Switzerland.

With http://arlberg-guides.at/ based near the Gampen lift, they first ask to sort yourself, then do an evaluation run before heading out.

Snow for the Euros.

Venduls--Sedrun and Mt. Lodge is certainly on the shortlist, although EVERYTHING seems especially expensive in Switzerland.
    FIFY - just moved here, thats Switzerland, so just know that going in.

Greatly appreciate all the feedback thus far. I'm most likely going to be traveling with 1 friend which helps with car rental, gas, and lodging costs, so given the advice in the thread, I'm strongly leaning toward getting cheap flights and a rental car and figuring it out at the last minute.

Rossymcg and anyone else who has skied with guided public groups in Europe--have you found that it's normal to get consistent ability and fitness levels? I'm far from a professional skier, but I do ski and hike faster than most, plus I'm accustomed to waking up early and getting first chair, etc. I know the snow stays fresh longer in Europe, but am I at risk of getting stuck in a slow/non-expert group if I join a public off-piste clinic? Put with a bit more specificity, is there any chance a public group is going to be among the first up to the top of the Valluga on a powder day, or do I need a private guide for that?

Venduls--Sedrun and Mt. Lodge is certainly on the shortlist, although guiding seems especially expensive in Switzerland.
    It's not like over in the states where you need to be getting the 1st lift because its all gona get tracked out in the 1st hour.
    St Anton is mega by the way, you keep referencing it but dont think of it as the be all and end all. There's options all through the Alps that offer just as good lift served off piste. Just relax your mind till then and wait and see what the snow is saying at that point.
    Guided groups are split up in to suitable levels of ability and fitness, there will be groups going out with ropes, prussaks, crabs ets and skinning after some serious adventure and other groups just having their 1st dabble at off piste. I've never felt held back by others in my groups. Ive done a lot of guided off piste skiing and always come away from it buzzing having pushed my limits slightly more by the end of the week.
    Now i know there's 2 of you dont discount airbnb/homeaway/holidaylettings etc, you're going at the cheapest time to ski and if going to France there will be plenty of studio apartments up from grabs competing for your €.
    If i were in your position id be hoping for a retour d'est, meaning i could spend time in balls deep powder, eating Italian family cooked belly busting food, sipping great coffee and wine all at a reasonable price

If you guys are solid skiers and a good team, you can have the time of your life even without guiding. Do like Buster: set a few objectives, like one or two, that definitely need a guide and the rest of the journey you can hook up with some locals and do some research, there's so much on line nowadays. What's special about the Alps is that there's so much awesome terrain with an incredibly easy access... that's what makes the difference.

I think St. Anton is probably one of the fastest to get tracked from lift-served. But a guide will take you to the goods, especially if you’re willing to hike.

If you change plans and happen through Davos Klosters, feel free to ping me and I can show you around (or point you where to go).

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by bw_wp_hedonism View Post
    I think St. Anton is probably one of the fastest to get tracked from lift-served. But a guide will take you to the goods, especially if you’re willing to hike.

If you change plans and happen through Davos Klosters, feel free to ping me and I can show you around (or point you where to go).

See what I meant... you are already covered in Davos, Sedrun and I’m sure Ripzalot would show you around Vallis...

Quote Originally Posted by bw_wp_hedonism View Post
    This ^^ was my experience, augmented by the Valluga being closed on all the big pow days. There's a lot of merit to trying the lesser known places.

^^ Highly recommended.

any UK based mags racing i Ardrock or going up the feastival next weekend?

Hi, I just added some skis to Gear Swap. As I'm based in London, I thought I'd just add a note here.

They are brand new in the wrapper DPS RP112s Pure Carbon Construction. 190cm. These have special addition graphics, all red top sheets with large snow flake across the tips.

Happy to ship anywhere in Europe

Asking price £650 or best offer

They need to go so let me know if you're interested.
    Skiah for life