Page 663 of 820 FirstFirst ... 658 659 660 661 662 663 664 665 666 667 668 ... LastLast
Results 16,551 to 16,575 of 20486
    I dont see an end until early march. I really wonder how some of the mountains at lower elevations will recover unless a banner early march hits with a ton of cold snow down low....A lot of sun, a lot of warm days must be hurting the snow even up high at this point and its only getting warmer for the next week or so....

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Don't Surf View Post
    Wet avalanche on to the piste today in Crans Montana. Upwards of 10 buried.

https://www.letemps.ch/suisse/cransm...eurs-personnes

Sent from my FRD-L09 using Tapatalk
    scary video!

https://www.lematin.ch/suisse/cransm...story/28948205

Holy shit! That’s fucking horrible.... those poor patrollers just got nailed. It’s amazing only one was killed.

Exploring new lines on the Bec des Rosses

Any hint of the high pressure moving out?
    Merde De Glace On the Freak When Ski
    >>>200 cm Black Bamboo Sidewalled DPS Lotus 120 : Best Skis Ever <<<

Quote Originally Posted by Buster Highmen View Post
    Any hint of the high pressure moving out?
    No sign yet

Sent from my FRD-L09 using Tapatalk

Next weekend

anyone have any additional news on the child that was injured yesterday on the lift at Portes Du Soleil/Chatel Sounds tragic and strange:
    https://m.lematin.ch/articles/5c6ebe88ab5c376799000001

Quote Originally Posted by me50c6 View Post
    anyone have any additional news on the child that was injured yesterday on the lift at Portes Du Soleil/Chatel Sounds tragic and strange:
    https://m.lematin.ch/articles/5c6ebe88ab5c376799000001
    this is awful.
    From what they say the adults on the chairlift did not give a shit or pay attention to the fact the child had the neck blocked between the frame of the lift and the side of chairlift safety bar during the entire way up

crazy stuff and those people should be held accountable....disaster
    Quote Originally Posted by zede View Post
    this is awful.
    From what they say the adults on the chairlift did not give a shit or pay attention to the fact the child had the neck blocked between the frame of the lift and the side of chairlift safety bar during the entire way up

Quote Originally Posted by me50c6 View Post
    crazy stuff and those people should be held accountable....disaster
    Ugh, thats a shitty situation all the way round. Lifties put an unsupervised kid on a lift with strangers, kinda imposing responsibility where it shouldn't be. I mean, I'd probably pay extra attention and even chat with the kid but what if it's some dumb tourist or park rat who doesnt know how to pay attention? Ultimately, its the ski resort's fault. I can't imagine how bad all those involved must feel. But its also hard to imagine a change in policy. It would massively affect how kids would take ski lessons without a parent there at all times. My buddy takes whole busloads of kids skiing for ski school, with a couple parents or other school staff, not everyone can ride supervised.

Sent from my SM-T810 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Ripzalot View Post
    Ugh, thats a shitty situation all the way round. Lifties put an unsupervised kid on a lift with strangers, kinda imposing responsibility where it shouldn't be. I mean, I'd probably pay extra attention and even chat with the kid but what if it's some dumb tourist or park rat who doesnt know how to pay attention? Ultimately, its the ski resort's fault. I can't imagine how bad all those involved must feel. But its also hard to imagine a change in policy. It would massively affect how kids would take ski lessons without a parent there at all times. My buddy takes whole busloads of kids skiing for ski school, with a couple parents or other school staff, not everyone can ride supervised.

Sent from my SM-T810 using Tapatalk
    Normal practice in Euroland and the US to send ski school kids up with an adult. When I was teaching kids 20 plus years ago we would ask an adult if they wouldn’t mind taking a kid up with them. Put my 8 up on the lift and sat with 2 myself. Normal swp. There are two issues here. The locking system the lift had and people just just not being aware of their responsibility as a human. I remember being “given” a kid on a long lift ride (Grand Massif) when I just got to CH. i was terrified the whole way and was essentially holding my hand 2cm from their jacket the whole ride. That being said the teacher asked if I would take a kid with me and I said yes. Did this group say the same thing? No clue....but fuck how can you sit on a lift (centimeter apart from each other) and not notice this. Idiots and huge vibes to the little skier.
    #1 goal this year......stay alive +
    DOWN SKIS

In a way, not surprising.
    In Europe, people put the bar down Immediately, and i mean a second after you get on the chair, and forcefully. I've been hot a number of times until i learned to protect myself.

Nobody warns, hey, putting the bar down.

Tragic.

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

Looking for a little advice, should anyone care to take the time to share. The wife and I are flying over for our honeymoon. We arrive in Chamonix on Mar 2 (through London and Geneva) and we stay there until Mar 9. We are then footloose and fancy free until Mar 17. On the 17th, we'd like to get to Paris for a couple days, followed by either Berlin or Flensberg (to see family) for a couple days before getting our asses back to London to fly home on the 22nd. Any suggestions regarding the plans for Mar 9-17? I've read through a bunch of the threads, and the advice generally centres around renting a car and just going where the snow is. We'd like to at least have an idea of where to possibly choose from - my understanding is it's been warm there for a while and small/lower elevation resorts may not have snow any more. There's also, as far as I can tell, infinite resorts there, so some help reducing the overwhelming amount of choice would be great. It would also be great to not have to drive - I do that enough over here and I'd love to experience the train system (I think?).

We'd love to see Zermatt - we're considering training there from Cham? - and would also love to experience the food in Italy.

Skiing ability for both of us is competent/strong. Not looking to do anything super gnarly - just enjoyable skiing. We will have our touring gear (plenty of experience though we are unsure what touring over there entails - we don't know the snow pack, areas, emergency protocols, etc), would love to ski pow, but are also happy just shredding the corduroy and enjoying the scenery, culture, etc.

Thanks for any help!
    Last edited by shafty85; 02-25-2019 at 09:48 PM. Reason: i don't know where we're flying through
    "...if you're not doing a double flip cork something, skiing spines in Haines, or doing double flip cork somethings off spines in Haines, you're pretty much just gaping."

Quote Originally Posted by shafty85 View Post
    we don't know the snow pack, areas, emergency protocols, etc), would love to ski pow, but are also happy just shredding the corduroy and enjoying the scenery, culture, etc.
    You have two weeks to study. Once you narrow it down to a few places start reading the avalanche reports—historical and going forward. Won’t take more than a few days to get a sense of the winter in three or four areas. Also, big discrepancies in snowfall this year in Europe. Skiing in March won’t be a problem in places especially if you’re not chasing powder. CH and the Arlberg have been buried.

I'd identify an area or two you want to ski and see. Check conditions. Hire a guide for a tour one day -- and pick their mind about other touring options in the area.

Quote Originally Posted by shafty85 View Post
    Looking for a little advice, should anyone care to take the time to share. The wife and I are flying over for our honeymoon. We arrive in Chamonix on Mar 2 (through London and Zurich) and we stay there until Mar 9. We are then footloose and fancy free until Mar 17. On the 17th, we'd like to get to Paris for a couple days, followed by either Berlin or Flensberg (to see family) for a couple days before getting our asses back to London to fly home on the 22nd. Any suggestions regarding the plans for Mar 9-17? I've read through a bunch of the threads, and the advice generally centres around renting a car and just going where the snow is. We'd like to at least have an idea of where to possibly choose from - my understanding is it's been warm there for a while and small/lower elevation resorts may not have snow any more. There's also, as far as I can tell, infinite resorts there, so some help reducing the overwhelming amount of choice would be great. It would also be great to not have to drive - I do that enough over here and I'd love to experience the train system (I think?).

We'd love to see Zermatt - we're considering training there from Cham? - and would also love to experience the food in Italy.

Skiing ability for both of us is competent/strong. Not looking to do anything super gnarly - just enjoyable skiing. We will have our touring gear (plenty of experience though we are unsure what touring over there entails - we don't know the snow pack, areas, emergency protocols, etc), would love to ski pow, but are also happy just shredding the corduroy and enjoying the scenery, culture, etc.

Thanks for any help!
    While in Cham, be sure to get down to Courmayeur for a taste of Italy. Unfortunately, Italy in general does not appear to have good snow so far this year.

In general, rail access in France and Italy is limited when compared to Switzerland or Austria. Austria is a full day away from Chamonix. In France and Italy, rail (with short bus ride) access makes me think of Val d'Isere/Tignes/Bourg St. Maurice/Les Arcs/Ski Paradis or the Milky Way via Oulx and Trois Vallees via St. Michel de Maurienne.

Zermatt is charming and huDge and one can ski from there to Cervinia for lunch. I don't know the gnarlier parts of Zermatt and I don't really know what you're looking for in terms of experience.

For the big resorts with nice restaurants and amenities on rail routes, there's Zermatt/Cervinia, Verbier, Gstaad/G3000, Murren/Wengen, Saas-Fee, Engelberg, Davos/Klosters, Arosa/Lenzerheide, Sankt Moritz, Samnaun/Ischgl, St. Anton within a day of train travel from Cham. The big resorts can be more expensive and more international with maybe a little less local flavor.

Swiss Rail accessible lesser known ski areas include Val d'Anniviers (Chandolin/St. Luc, Vercorin and Grimentz/Zinal), Belalp, Crans-Montana, Aletsch Arena, Ski Arena (Andermatt/Dieni/Sedrun/Disentis), Flims/Laax among a zillion others. These tend to have a little more local ambience which can cut both ways with more Teutonic food limitations the further East one goes.

It has been warm, so being able to stay high is a good goal. That can go to crap fast if weather moves in, so some low altitude stuff is a nice option too. Both Verbier with gladed Bruson across the way hits a lot of options. It is expensive. Another one is Val d'Annivers, which does require buses to get up from the main rail lines but ticks most boxes.

All that said, I really like the Andermatt/Disentis ski arena with easy access to Airolo in the Italian part of Switzerland. They get a ton of snow, have lots a lot of local options, snazzy food and fluffing at the Chedi, guiding that will blow your mind via http://www.andermatt-guides.ch/EN/about.html. Our pal vendul and his wife are starting a hotel in Rueras, https://www.mt-lodge.com/ which a bunch of us will be at between March 17 and 21.

Another place that unexpectedly blew me away is Sankt Moritz (Corvatsch, Corviglia, Diavolezza, LaGalb). Yes, it's super tony, lots of poshness, rolls, Ferraris, very Italian flavor, etc. It's expensive too. But the skiing there is mind blowing. There's a hotel with a hot tub at Diavolezza at about 3000 meters that has a view comparable to anywhere in the Alps with incredible touring access.

Where looks to have the best snow for this coming weekend? In Germany for work and primarily looking at Austria, but having a difficult time figuring out where to go with the warm weather that's been happening.

Where have you been my whole life Buster!? Killer layout of the alps in my opinion at a very topline view. I moved to france 3 seasons ago and could have used this intro to cut through 100s of hours of research! Its been fun and a crazy learning experience and i knew it was only for 3 seasons so i needed to ensure every trip from paris to the alps would be worthy. One thing that buster noted quickly was that being up high is great when the weather is clear but quickly goes terribly wrong when the snow starts falling. Very different layout here in the alps with trees at their highest is about 2100-2200 meters high and then its all above tree line riding. You need a place with both high elevation but also have some trees as well. Andermatt is sick but lacks the trees if you get into some snowstorms. I agree on verbier and another spendy but impressive option close to chamonix is Megeve. May not have the most impressive elevation but if you have a cold snowstorm, the trees are your friend there. it also has quick access to chamonix and has a lovely village that may tick a few marks for a honeymoon. may be slightly similar to sankt moritz. I believe you are coming next week and the snow machine looks to FINALLY crank back up. If thats the case, think resorts with trees so you can enjoy. If you need a guide at chamonix or verbier, i can sort it for you. enjoy man

Quote Originally Posted by Buster Highmen View Post
    While in Cham, be sure to get down to Courmayeur for a taste of Italy. Unfortunately, Italy in general does not appear to have good snow so far this year.

In general, rail access in France and Italy is limited when compared to Switzerland or Austria. Austria is a full day away from Chamonix. In France and Italy, rail (with short bus ride) access makes me think of Val d'Isere/Tignes/Bourg St. Maurice/Les Arcs/Ski Paradis or the Milky Way via Oulx and Trois Vallees via St. Michel de Maurienne.

Zermatt is charming and huDge and one can ski from there to Cervinia for lunch. I don't know the gnarlier parts of Zermatt and I don't really know what you're looking for in terms of experience.

For the big resorts with nice restaurants and amenities on rail routes, there's Zermatt/Cervinia, Verbier, Gstaad/G3000, Murren/Wengen, Saas-Fee, Engelberg, Davos/Klosters, Arosa/Lenzerheide, Sankt Moritz, Samnaun/Ischgl, St. Anton within a day of train travel from Cham. The big resorts can be more expensive and more international with maybe a little less local flavor.

Swiss Rail accessible lesser known ski areas include Val d'Anniviers (Chandolin/St. Luc, Vercorin and Grimentz/Zinal), Belalp, Crans-Montana, Aletsch Arena, Ski Arena (Andermatt/Dieni/Sedrun/Disentis), Flims/Laax among a zillion others. These tend to have a little more local ambience which can cut both ways with more Teutonic food limitations the further East one goes.

It has been warm, so being able to stay high is a good goal. That can go to crap fast if weather moves in, so some low altitude stuff is a nice option too. Both Verbier with gladed Bruson across the way hits a lot of options. It is expensive. Another one is Val d'Annivers, which does require buses to get up from the main rail lines but ticks most boxes.

All that said, I really like the Andermatt/Disentis ski arena with easy access to Airolo in the Italian part of Switzerland. They get a ton of snow, have lots a lot of local options, snazzy food and fluffing at the Chedi, guiding that will blow your mind via http://www.andermatt-guides.ch/EN/about.html. Our pal vendul and his wife are starting a hotel in Rueras, https://www.mt-lodge.com/ which a bunch of us will be at between March 17 and 21.

Another place that unexpectedly blew me away is Sankt Moritz (Corvatsch, Corviglia, Diavolezza, LaGalb). Yes, it's super tony, lots of poshness, rolls, Ferraris, very Italian flavor, etc. It's expensive too. But the skiing there is mind blowing. There's a hotel with a hot tub at Diavolezza at about 3000 meters that has a view comparable to anywhere in the Alps with incredible touring access.

Snow for the Euros.

It must be help Americans go to Europe day cause I have a similar question:

My wife and I land in Zurich on the 20th. Trip was a present for her 40th. I was thinking of doing Engelberg/Andermatt but she’s not up for long tours (short tours are a yes) wants to ski steep big pow runs, has no interest in no fall zones, and wouldn’t be stoked if we had to wait out storm days in town because there’s no tree skiing.

Add that all up and I’m leaning towards just spending the week based in St. Anton. Seems like it’ll tick all the boxes, give us a shit ton of variety on the hill and in town and travel is way easier if we just go there.

Am I off on that assumption? Anywhere else reasonably close to Zurich to consider (that Buster hasn’t already graciously mentioned)?

Quote Originally Posted by kathleenturneroverdrive View Post

My wife and I land in Zurich on the 20th. Trip was a present for her 40th. I was thinking of doing Engelberg/Andermatt but she’s not up for long tours (short tours are a yes) wants to ski steep big pow runs, has no interest in no fall zones, and wouldn’t be stoked if we had to wait out storm days in town because there’s no tree skiing.

Add that all up and I’m leaning towards just spending the week based in St. Anton. Seems like it’ll tick all the boxes, give us a shit ton of variety on the hill and in town and travel is way easier if we just go there.

Am I off on that assumption?
    Yes, there's everything at Andermatt from groomers to traverses to 20 minute bootpacks to 2 hours skins to all day climbs. Disentis is similar. The variety is massive.
    Very few no fall zones, people don't ski with harnesses at Andermatt like Cham or La Grave.
    It's just good skiing.

Similarly for Engelberg, but E-berg is a lot bigger and more resort-y. The Laub at E-berg is super long, 4000 vertical feet of 35 degree skiing, no cliffs.

Am@ and E-berg are closer via train than any mechanism to St. Anton from ZRH. Plus Andermatt has easy access to Airolo which has great tree skiing and Italian food.

venduls hotel, https://www.mt-lodge.com/ would work as would Kai's place, Krone Hotel in Goeschenen: http://www.chalet-hotel-krone.ch/
    Anywhere else reasonably close to Zurich to consider (that Buster hasn’t already graciously mentioned)?
    https://www.bergfex.com/schweiz/

Next week might see a change for the better from the current 2 week drought pattern.

Still not safe so keep offering virgins and/or hot Swedish skier chicks / bros (depending on your inclination) to ullr.

Edit no huge resorts close to Zurich, but smaller fun ones like hasliberg, klewenalp, stoos or the former secret haldigrat.(which is a chair only) But it really depends on conditions. And the terrain there is fairly limited and low.

Gesendet von meinem BLA-L29 mit Tapatalk
    It's a war of the mind and we're armed to the teeth.

Quote Originally Posted by kathleenturneroverdrive View Post

Am I off on that assumption? Anywhere else reasonably close to Zurich to consider (that Buster hasn’t already graciously mentioned)?
    The misses and I just did our first euro ski trip and couldn't have been happier settling on the Arlberg region. We flew into Zurich and took the bus (Arlberg Express) form there to Lech. Lech ends up being pretty central to the region. Warth/Shroekin, Zurs, St. Christoph, and of course St. Anton with Lech kind of in the middle. We were there prior to the warm up and had fantastic snow for the six ski days. As someone else mentioned about snow/fog and being above treeline, we also had some wicked bad lighting for parts of days. No tree skiing, and the trees that are there all say verbotten. When the vis was good I found the route finding to not be that difficult and easy to be in the good snow.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Aust 01.jpg 
Views:	79 
Size:	1.04 MB 
ID:	271507

Name:	Aust 02.jpg 
Views:	73 
Size:	894.3 KB 
ID:	271508

Name:	Aust 03.jpg 
Views:	78 
Size:	816.2 KB 
ID:	271509

Name:	Aust 04.jpg 
Views:	75 
Size:	1.22 MB 
ID:	271510

I agree with the comment about the arlberg being very tough on snow days....i have been there and when its snowing, its really tough to see anything. I did love engelberg on a clear day. When it was nuking snow we went across the village to brunni for fun low impact tree skiing.
    Similar antics happen over at verbier with bruson across from verbier with tree skiing....
    it looks like snow starts up at varying rates starting next tuesday through the week with variable freezing levels....tricky times...
    Quote Originally Posted by Fred Pabst View Post
    The misses and I just did our first euro ski trip and couldn't have been happier settling on the Arlberg region. We flew into Zurich and took the bus (Arlberg Express) form there to Lech. Lech ends up being pretty central to the region. Warth/Shroekin, Zurs, St. Christoph, and of course St. Anton with Lech kind of in the middle. We were there prior to the warm up and had fantastic snow for the six ski days. As someone else mentioned about snow/fog and being above treeline, we also had some wicked bad lighting for parts of days. No tree skiing, and the trees that are there all say verbotten. When the vis was good I found the route finding to not be that difficult and easy to be in the good snow.

Name:	Aust 01.jpg 
Views:	79 
Size:	1.04 MB 
ID:	271507

Name:	Aust 02.jpg 
Views:	73 
Size:	894.3 KB 
ID:	271508

Name:	Aust 03.jpg 
Views:	78 
Size:	816.2 KB 
ID:	271509

Name:	Aust 04.jpg 
Views:	75 
Size:	1.22 MB 
ID:	271510

Note for those considering St Anton - there is a direct train from Zurich every two hours or so...