Page 326 of 821 FirstFirst ... 321 322 323 324 325 326 327 328 329 330 331 ... LastLast
Results 8,126 to 8,150 of 20521
    40cms at Juvasshytta in Norway. 60-70 cars snowed in saturday evening.

It has begun! :-)
    simen@downskis.com DOWN SKIS

just back from an amatt-oberalp-disentis short trip. BTW, surselva is a hidden gem. The more I visit it, the more I like it. Yes, there's a lot of snow for being in late august, but honestly..... what does it means?

means it's something to talk about until it melts again.

surselva is a cool hidden area. my first several times skiing in switzerland were all in this area. i haven't been there in years. i hope it hasn't changed.

its not that bad... about 25cm new here, and some old snow beneath at some points, good piste-skiing and some alibi-powturns today :P

freak~[&]

c'est beau.

Oberalppass yesterday

View of the Nordkette above Innsbruck today

And across town the Patscherkofel

Looking nice, but you could see it all sarting to melt away during the day.

[nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3eYMTXxj1Yw"]YouTube- First Powder 2010/2011, telemark[/nomedia]

not bad for sept 1st.... i guess.
    It's a war of the mind and we're armed to the teeth.

if you post wierd videos of hardcore crevasse-slalom on flat glaciers you should probably post longer ones^^

[ame="http://vimeo.com/14641645"]1. September 2010 Max & Joi Powder Edit on Vimeo[/ame]

freak~[&]

Have my trip set for a euro season. Just talked to my roomate about the living situation with my condo here in Charlotte, so that's done. Flight is booked to Geneva, landing on Dec 29, so now all I have to do is decide between Val D'Isere, Chamonix or Verbier! Pretty set on Cham but no big decision yet until the preseason Chamonix pricing ends on 11/30. Def don't want to jinx anything but I am hoping for a great year!

@GPendleton - do you have accommodations sorted? for season rentals its usually pretty tight in those places this late. by end of nov, it might be slim pickens (super expensive or super outside the village). you won't really know anything snow-wise by end of november anyways so might as well start looking and deciding.

Quote Originally Posted by freak View Post
    if you post wierd videos of hardcore crevasse-slalom on flat glaciers you should probably post longer ones^^

freak~[&]
    yeah crevasses in POV !
    and i begin to detest gopro videos since everybody seems to think "as long as it shows us from first person perspective or pole of view (hey they got creative!) it must be cool "
    It's a war of the mind and we're armed to the teeth.

Hold on hold on, the terrain might be a little uninspiring, but i'm not complaining about the summer stoke though.

McDee, you are new here. you are supposed to diss on all POVs otherwise you aren't cool. NOTHING is radder than the steeze of the POV-hater.

remember that.

Quote Originally Posted by subtle plague View Post
    yeah crevasses in POV !
    and i begin to detest gopro videos since everybody seems to think "as long as it shows us from first person perspective or pole of view (hey they got creative!) it must be cool "
    hihi, what i thought. there are some other pretty nice videos from the same guy on vimeo though.

freak[&]

Quote Originally Posted by Ripzalot View Post
    @GPendleton - do you have accommodations sorted? for season rentals its usually pretty tight in those places this late. by end of nov, it might be slim pickens (super expensive or super outside the village). you won't really know anything snow-wise by end of november anyways so might as well start looking and deciding.
    Ripzalot - I have no accomodations sorted. My plan is to book a hostel for the first week and try to meet someone that has an extra room or bed. My guess is that there will be someone who will be homesick or something that will not stay past the New Year or someone just ended up with another opening somehow. My desire is to rent from Jan-Apr so maybe I can find something cheap for that timeframe. Nothing I could find online was cheaper than just staying in a hostel the whole time so if worse comes to worst I'll just stay in the hostel for my duration.

Warning: The Verbier hostel is the most ghetto of all hostels in CH.

On snow, I saw some white stuff all over the Oldenhorn today.
    Last edited by TeleAl; 09-13-2010 at 06:09 AM. Reason: Because I wanted to!
    Ski, Bike, Climb.
    Resistence is futile.

As for the snow i confirm eventhough a little bit more southwards . . .

4 months in a hostel? not possible. well, i for one would certainly go crazy.

if you stay at the verbier hostel be sure to:
    1) bring earplugs to block the sound of the drunks coming in at all hours of the night
    2) bring noseplugs to block the smell of the drunks coming in at all hours of the night
    3) learn to sleep with all of your valuables tucked inside your sleeping bag
    4) learn to ski with all of your valuables in your backpack

^ pretty sure the infamous Verbier bunker closed down last winter for good.
    spent one night there in 2007 - that was plenty....

I heard the bunker hostel closed down as well - but it sounds like it was sketchy anyways. I've stayed in a bunch of European hostels and I felt much safer in some than in others. That's my concern with the ones in Chamonix. I dont want to have to sleep with all my gear and worry about theft all the time.

Nice to hear good things on the snow front!

Frankly, for the snow it's - too! - early: There can be even a lot of fresh snow down to about 2.000 m even in august, but it will melt anyway, at least at lower altitude and before the end of september. Important is, what happens, let's say, from mid of october on: that snow, with any probability will last . . .

www.le-stop.ch in chable is the new bunker ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by Ripzalot View Post
    2) bring noseplugs to block the smell of the farts creeping your way at all hours of the night
    Fixed it for you.

A couple notes:
    1) smell is the biggest concern in bunkers, as in you will smell like everyone else's farts;
    2) snow is always nice to see when jonesing, even if it will melt.

Cham has more options than just hostels. Get to know people living there to find space for rent.
    Ski, Bike, Climb.
    Resistence is futile.