Page 691 of 820 FirstFirst ... 686 687 688 689 690 691 692 693 694 695 696 ... LastLast
Results 17,251 to 17,275 of 20486
    Endless options : )Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20200215_120137.jpeg 
Views:	81 
Size:	89.5 KB 
ID:	315871

Sent from ullr with love!

I have some time for the end of march/early April. I was thinking of flying to Geneva and spending a week somewhere, hopefully joining a guided group since I'm solo. The real question I have is do the spring break school holidays crowd the resorts in that area around that time? Thanks for any info.

It's called Easter holidays and yes it's crowded. They start on the 4th and go 2 weeks. Before that you'll be fine.

Today was nice. It was good fun skiing with you vendul. Name:  IMG-20200215-WA0008.jpeg
Views: 828
Size:  47.4 KB
    It's a war of the mind and we're armed to the teeth.

Good day above Obergurgl today. Not much in the way of new but a landscape man seldom sees

Good conditions in Disentis atm. North-facing slopes are still fluffy down low, the rest got REAL slushy in the afternoon.

Quote Originally Posted by Shred Baron View Post
    I have some time for the end of march/early April. I was thinking of flying to Geneva and spending a week somewhere, hopefully joining a guided group since I'm solo. The real question I have is do the spring break school holidays crowd the resorts in that area around that time? Thanks for any info.
    Recommend Verbier or Chamonix. Try powder extreme if you go to Verbier. They do guided groups. I guess there are plenty of options in Cham. Or La Grave another option if conditions are good down South. A bit trickier to get to. Not usually busy after end Feb. 27th/28th March weekend is the FWT final in Verbier which may also float your boat - that weekend will be busier.

Hey, I'll be in Zermatt this coming week. Please feel free to stop by and say hi if you're around, red pants, grey/black shell, yellow backpack, maybe we can have a drink on piste.

Quote Originally Posted by bobinch View Post
    Recommend Verbier or Chamonix. Try powder extreme if you go to Verbier. They do guided groups. I guess there are plenty of options in Cham. Or La Grave another option if conditions are good down South. A bit trickier to get to. Not usually busy after end Feb. 27th/28th March weekend is the FWT final in Verbier which may also float your boat - that weekend will be busier.
    Thanks, I have been to Cham for a few days and am leaning that way a bit. I’ll also take a look at powder extreme. I hadn’t really considered La Grave, as I assumed it’s a bit over my head, but I’ll look I to it if it seems that it will help with crowds. Thanks again.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Nah, there's plenty of "easy" stuff in La Grave as well as the super-gnar

(easy for someone with off piste experience I mean)

Sölden, wow.

Any recommendations for off-piste for St Anton? Friend and I will be there a couple of days in early March 8th-10th and staying in St Jakob, just before we head to vendul's for the EuroBBI. We'd be up for slackcountry vs longer tours, mostly to get a feel for the goods there, steep and deep if possible, although it doesn't have to be über gnar. Both of us are very experienced (>20 years backcountry experience all over the world), able to maintain pace on the up and down. Also experienced and cautious enough to not do stoopid shit. We'll be bringing all our gear including minimalist ski mountaineering kit.

If you or somebody you know know's the Arlberg well, and would like to show us around, we'd be super psyched, and will buy you many many drinks. If you can't or won't, do you have any suggestions on pro guides? Or if you're around but can't ski, we'd love to hoist a beer or two with ya.

TIA.

I used http://arlberg-guides.at/ , Yannick Krummler was one of the guides one day, cool guy.
    Merde De Glace On the Freak When Ski
    >>>200 cm Black Bamboo Sidewalled DPS Lotus 120 : Best Skis Ever <<<

arlberg has a lot of nice options to ski. with guide or with out.
    steep chutes down schindlergrat. get blasted and skied heavily.
    or the nice long run from albonagrat to langen ( just follow the tracks on albonagrat to the west)
    take the taxi(20e) back to the lift and not wait for the public bus.
    there always minivans around to hop on.

there is nice runs from rendl to the hinteres rendl

https://www.alpenvereinaktiv.com/de/...22267178/#dm=1
    this site is nice gives you some directions and possibilities.

if you stop over in innsbruck on the way east give me a shout.

i maybe can come to arlberg but that is to far a head for my plans. i will send you a pm later.

https://avalanche.report/bulletin/latest
    avalanche report for tirol

https://www.alpenvereinaktiv.com/mobile/de/touren/#fu=1

Hope this link works better.
    Anyway u can get the app too. On the topo map there are the lines of the routes drawn in. Just to get an idea of the are

Sent from ullr with love!

A sobering video of avy rescue victim in verbier...

https://www.facebook.com/32278261983...sn=mo&d=n&vh=e

Sent from my SM-A505FN using Tapatalk

t'was the dudettes I spoke about upthread...

Quote Originally Posted by Tri-Ungulate View Post
    Any recommendations for off-piste for St Anton?
    TIA.
    If you've got low avy danger, blue skies, focus on slackcountry, and use books/online resources it's a pretty easy area to figure out. This book and this one are highly recommended. I also found that the Fatmap app was full of good info for the area. Of course get a guide though, they'll keep you safe and show you the goods.

That said my recommendation would be to focus on just one area a day. If conditions align and for low hanging fruit/easy access I'd spend 1 day skiing the backside of the Rendle. If you have the energy make your last lap a tour that takes you down to Pettneu. Then spend a day in Stuben skinning up to the Mario where you could easily spend a day touring up valley to the Kaltenberg, do laps to the lifts, or go down to Langen and bus back for up another lap. Just make sure your last run in that area drops off the southside so you can apres at the Verwall. Those, of course, are just recommendations for days with perfect weather/stable snow. Storm days won't be nearly as ambitious, and if the snow is sketchy I'd def hire a guide and follow their lead.
    Last edited by kathleenturneroverdrive; 02-19-2020 at 05:31 PM.

There may be hope from next Wednesday on. A little pattern change for the better. Let's check it in three or four days.

Quote Originally Posted by subtle plague View Post
    There may be hope from next Wednesday on. A little pattern change for the better. Let's check it in three or four days.
    w0000t!
    Merde De Glace On the Freak When Ski
    >>>200 cm Black Bamboo Sidewalled DPS Lotus 120 : Best Skis Ever <<<

March will be our savior
    #1 goal this year......stay alive +
    DOWN SKIS

Oh Mann, I start work again in March!!

*Prays*

Not only has it been a weird season but I've had the worst luck with days off vs powder days

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by geo039 View Post
    March will be our savior
    we're still on course. nothing epic yet, but promising. (and remember my spoiled ideas of epic and promising may differ from the average powder fiend )

Thx nordekette and kto, think I'll start with the Thurner book & topo maps, follow the avy reports and go from there. Might still consider a guide, but having done most exploring on my own over the years, will prolly just wing it, unless it seems objective hazards make guided a more prudent option.

Still would love to meet any locals if they're in the area when we're there, at least for drinks.

And of course, thanks Buster, as always - you do realize you're gonna be the go-to ad hoc guide in Klosters/ Davos/ Lenzerheide as well

we're still on course. nothing epic yet, but promising. (and remember my spoiled ideas of epic and promising may differ from the average powder fiend )
    Considering how my season is going I will take some crustymank on the nice rain layer we have
    #1 goal this year......stay alive +
    DOWN SKIS