Page 559 of 820 FirstFirst ... 554 555 556 557 558 559 560 561 562 563 564 ... LastLast
Results 13,951 to 13,975 of 20494
    ^^^ One look at the valee blanche cam says - very dry.... looks nice youd probably have to tour back up to the top if you dropped in.... arent you headed that way in jan?

BTW are you still in scandi land? Any plans on heading over to Norge? It looks pretty mouth watering at the moment...

huge abs recall for european steel cartridges. someone fucked up.

http://www.abs-airbag.com/en/recall
    Ich bitte dich nur, weck mich nicht.

GM top surprisingly good, big big holes though. midi socked in, doubt I'd like to ski all the way down to the mer de glacé just yet.
    'waxman is correct, and so far with 40+ days of tasting them there is no way my tongue can tell the difference between wood, and plastic made to taste like wood...but i'm a weirdo and lick my gear...' -kidwoo

Quote Originally Posted by klar View Post
    huge abs recall for european steel cartridges. someone fucked up.

http://www.abs-airbag.com/en/recall
    Shit.

I've got 2 and I've sold about 10.

I'll be camping in Sölden tomorrow and Monday sking at Obergurgl then off to Cham Tuesday-Saturday. Anybody want to ride with a intermediate skier at best in Tirol?

Quote Originally Posted by Alkares View Post
    ^^^ One look at the valee blanche cam says - very dry.... looks nice youd probably have to tour back up to the top if you dropped in.... arent you headed that way in jan?

BTW are you still in scandi land? Any plans on heading over to Norge? It looks pretty mouth watering at the moment...
    Doing the classical thing again: wont have time to do norwdge until spring and will head your way on jan 2... So sorry!!
    So, if the last decade has any relevance, cham willbe bone dry until feb and after that will get absolutely hammered. After that the alpes maritimes wontsee any percipitation until march.

Sorry for the inconviency.

The floggings will continue until morale improves.

Cheer up. Snow on the weekend!

When will you be in Cham JT?

Looks like we will be there from Mid March for 3 weeks.

Fingers crossed...
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTGR Forums1419237594.927762.jpg 
Views:	162 
Size:	784.6 KB 
ID:	161733
    Looking kinda boney out there

Name:	ImageUploadedByTGR Forums1419237627.281958.jpg 
Views:	178 
Size:	1,012.2 KB 
ID:	161734
    'waxman is correct, and so far with 40+ days of tasting them there is no way my tongue can tell the difference between wood, and plastic made to taste like wood...but i'm a weirdo and lick my gear...' -kidwoo

What's the deal with Mölltaller compared to say Sölden..never been there but seems they are running with the most snow in the area right now?

My winter has finally started! No more of this trail running nonsense, thank god!

Name:	P1090487.jpg 
Views:	174 
Size:	1.02 MB 
ID:	161766

Quote Originally Posted by Meathelmet View Post
    For the chamiards and the like: what has the snowline been like? Have crevasses filled up at all or has the snowline been up high all the season? Or are things on hold until april...
    Down low there's holes everywhere, I'm not even thinking about going up the Midi unless touring back to either lift, the Midi or the Helbronner, until there's been a few more dumps of snow. It's a definite walk back to Montenvers, and the Salle a Manger simply won't be passable at the moment, and I'd expect the same for the end of the Envers descents too. Touring in the Aiguilles Rouges is not an option yet, likewise some of the shorter tours at the Vallorcine end of the valley, same story for the Col du Passon.

However! The Argentiere Glacier is filled-in enough to provide a little excitement, if you have an appreciation of where the biggest holes are on the way down to the glacier (no traversing out right under the Chevalier and Frigor couloirs yet, no bridges... stay close to the rognon), and enough of a sense of humour to take you back to the pistes at the end of the day - lots of rocks, ice, and holes on the traverse back to Lognan.

Quote Originally Posted by ulty_guy View Post
    Looking kinda boney out there
    All the snow is at the other end of the glacier... the skin up to the Col d'Argentiere looks fine, if you stick well to the right...

edit
    Some people have been down the VB, here is a brief report:

"Very alpine conditions in the Valley Blanche, only for professionnals and experienced ski mountaineers.
    The ridge is not equiped.
    Obviously, there is less snow than usually at the same time.
    In despite of all this, we have walked 15 minutes only before the stairway of the Montenvers Gondola.
    Descent to Chamonix by train."

Follow the link above to see two photo albums of the descent, it's pretty exciting stuff! Doesn't look too bad up high, but lower down it'd be a total ball-ache to get home.
    Last edited by peds; 12-22-2014 at 04:18 PM.
    Short stories about snow and rock, and pictures, too

Yes could see, but just not feeling like pushing it that much at the moment with the given conditions. Hopefully the storm this weekend will change that but it looks like bulk of the precip has shifted a bit further south...time will tell!

Quote Originally Posted by CarveMan View Post
    When will you be in Cham JT?

Looks like we will be there from Mid March for 3 weeks.
    Arriving monday and staying until the end of February. I'll probably miss you, if i want to save some schengen days for April-May.

Thanks for the report, Pete. Let's hope 50cm-1m will fill things in.

Snow is coming this weekend. I'll be in Andermatt tomorrow-Monday...anyone want to ride? I'll be there solo.

Quote Originally Posted by jumpturn View Post
    Arriving monday and staying until the end of February. I'll probably miss you, if i want to save some schengen days for April-May.
    I'll be there in to April.

I sure hope this comes through. Strange, flip flopping forecasts for Tirol.

Quote Originally Posted by MT View Post
    Anybody check out this Powder Mag digital feature about Italy last season? http://www.powder.com/stories/digita...uper-flipbook/
    Nothing to see... Move along now...

Actually, they will ruin it next year when the "disneyland" revolving tram opens up.

Quote Originally Posted by peds View Post

Follow the link above to see two photo albums of the descent, it's pretty exciting stuff! Doesn't look too bad up high, but lower down it'd be a total ball-ache to get home.
    In some of those photos they're skiing roped, is this common or because of the lack of snow?
    The trumpet scatters its awful sound Over the graves of all lands Summoning all before the throne

Death and mankind shall be stunned When Nature arises To give account before the Judge

Quote Originally Posted by Greydon Clark View Post
    In some of those photos they're skiing roped, is this common or because of the lack of snow?
    Yup. Thin cover = weak-to-non-existent snow bridges over crevasses.

Looks like a guided party, which means sketchy for the guide to depend on client competence...

You gotta really need the 400€...

So should I cancel the La Grave/Chamonix trip for the last week of Jan-first week of Feb? Ugh.

Quote Originally Posted by Homerocks View Post
    So should I cancel the La Grave/Chamonix trip for the last week of Jan-first week of Feb? Ugh.
    Dude...it is one month away.

It is called weather, no one can predict how things will change in a month. You could be neck deep in pow or ski grass. If you have paid for the flights
    but havent booked accommodation, go road tripping. You will always find some lodging even if it would be winter semester.

The floggings will continue until morale improves.

Here are some vids to you psyched about cham...

Or, at least about speedy and professional rescue for free...

Nothing to see... Move along now...

Actually, they will ruin it next year when the "disneyland" revolving tram opens up.

JT, not to worry this article is about the Dolomites, not about that majestic tram filled with freeridey goodness and the nicest barista in the alps located elsewhere in Italy that is probably looking bleak currently but will hopefully get dumped on before I arrive mid January!

Dear Euros,

Please regale me with tales of this snowstorm.

kthxbai

JT - J is thinking of joining the PGHM.

Cham Mags: My brother-in-law just had his AirBNB rental in Cham cancel on him.

He's looking for a 1 br apartment relatively central in Cham or Cham Sud - needs to be near the buses and relatively close to town, they won't have a car. They think they want a kitchen, but I predict once they sample the delights of the Poco Loco that will evaporate.

Studio/bedsit is too small but I've explained that everything is going to be relatively squeezy so a compact 1br will be fine for them.

Price around 100-120e per night would be ideal. Dates 3-11 Jan

Thanks!