Page 647 of 821 FirstFirst ... 642 643 644 645 646 647 648 649 650 651 652 ... LastLast
Results 16,151 to 16,175 of 20518
    Wow that's a very cool rock feature to ski under, with a great looking chute too!

And obviously you guys are just laying down in the second picture

looks about 35 degrees.
    It's a war of the mind and we're armed to the teeth.

Quote Originally Posted by abraham View Post
    Wow that's a very cool rock feature to ski under, with a great looking chute too!

And obviously you guys are just laying down in the second picture
    Now you come to mention it, I do remember having a brief nap just below the summit.

You are right, it's such a cool rock feature, I'd love to come back on a super-cold day in January so we have a bit more time to play in the couloir, we were hard-up against it timewise today and had to get out before the rising temperatures made it too soupy. It'd be great to throw a rope over it and prussik up, to get some birds-eye-view photos of people skiing below.
    Next year!

Here's a random picture from the internet showing the location of the line, the limestone cliff above the couloir was just ridiculous, towering hundreds of metres over us. But the good thing is, there's very little in the way of heating snow slopes above you to drop anything on your head in the rapidly-rising heat of a day like today...
    Short stories about snow and rock, and pictures, too

Quote Originally Posted by peds View Post
    You are right, it's such a cool rock feature, I'd love to come back on a super-cold day in January so we have a bit more time to play in the couloir, we were hard-up against it timewise today and had to get out before the rising temperatures made it too soupy. It'd be great to throw a rope over it and prussik up, to get some birds-eye-view photos of people skiing below.
    Next year!

Here's a random picture from the internet showing the location of the line, the limestone cliff above the couloir was just ridiculous, towering hundreds of metres over us. But the good thing is, there's very little in the way of heating snow slopes above you to drop anything on your head in the rapidly-rising heat of a day like today...[/IMG]
    That’s a great photo for your guidebook.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Woah 90cm new snow in the north. Over night. That's unexpected. Now they are closing everything as well...

she goes!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	dgc89hG.jpg 
Views:	80 
Size:	207.7 KB 
ID:	230536

Engelberg was fun but scary today. Nice pow but lots of windloading. The Laub went pretty big.
    Triggered by a skier.

Good times were had yesterday and today, headed to Flumserberg sat for some epic pillow popper pow, then headed to Airolo today for a solid 50+cms of settled pow and half price lift tickets . The headwall went quite large with a scary debris field, but Ravina was even scarier, the whole area I was skiing pow two weeks ago with a friend flushed out real good, I wonder if they'll open it back up before the season is over. Have fun and stay safe out there folks!

Name:	20180401_125818.jpg 
Views:	103 
Size:	957.6 KB 
ID:	230780

Name:	20180401_131829.jpg 
Views:	88 
Size:	663.1 KB 
ID:	230781

Name:	20180401_142708.jpg 
Views:	80 
Size:	926.5 KB 
ID:	230782

Name:	20180401_142720.jpg 
Views:	81 
Size:	444.4 KB 
ID:	230783

Name:	20180401_151639.jpg 
Views:	84 
Size:	1.10 MB 
ID:	230784

Name:	20180401_171943.jpg 
Views:	87 
Size:	1.05 MB 
ID:	230785

^^ Wow, some scary pictures there. Things are definitely pretty scary avvy-wise at the moment, there are things lurking alarmingly close to home. A local hero was killed on the Pointe Alphonse Favre, one of the nicest ski tours in the Aiguilles Rouges, just earlier today. Incredibly sad. The man was a doctor who operated on Elizabeth Revol after her Nanga Parbat episode.

Luckily, I might be staying away from the worst of the danger for a short while.

Name:	I kneed you.jpg 
Views:	99 
Size:	1.04 MB 
ID:	230854

Ah well. These things happen, and although I am still to take it to a doctor for a definitive checkup, it could definitely be a lot worse.

Peds, sorry to hear about the knee. Your missions this season have been on a different level!!!

Good day over here on Sunday waiting for the Verbier Xtreme. Thought the fresh snow was stable but had a little unexpected excitement under Mont Gélé...

^^ Wow, some scary pictures there. Things are definitely pretty scary avvy-wise at the moment, there are things lurking alarmingly close to home. A local hero was killed on the Pointe Alphonse Favre, one of the nicest ski tours in the Aiguilles Rouges, just earlier today. Incredibly sad. The man was a doctor who operated on Elizabeth Revol after her Nanga Parbat episode.

Luckily, I might be staying away from the worst of the danger for a short while.

Name:	I kneed you.jpg 
Views:	99 
Size:	1.04 MB 
ID:	230854

Ah well. These things happen, and although I am still to take it to a doctor for a definitive checkup, it could definitely be a lot worse.
    what's the verdict on the knee? shame if you're out for a while, i enjoy your stoke and the ULLR just keeps giving

Sent from my SM-G930F using TGR Forums mobile app
    i dont kare i carnt spell or youse punktuation properlee, im on a skiing forum

Shit Peds, that sucks!! Hopefully it's a partial, not full; no surgery. I was pretty stoked on what you got up to with TJ, Teague and Mike, especially after finally coming to Chamonix and seeing the lines/possibilities with my own eyes.

Well, our most excellent Euro trip has come to an end and in we're back in Aspen after two great weeks in France and Italy. I've got 70GB of photos from the DSLR to sift through (and hopefully a TR to come), but the synopsis with some phone snaps:

- Skied GM on 3/18 with 40cm new up top. Great skiing, stunning to be up there and I got to demo some new sticks since our ski bags didn't arrive. Girls made it look good:

Name:	IMG_0933.JPG 
Views:	64 
Size:	411.4 KB 
ID:	231363

Name:	IMG_0934.JPG 
Views:	67 
Size:	220.4 KB 
ID:	231365

- La Tour/Vallorcine on 3/19 with some fog, but great sun breaks and awesome skiing on some hike-to couloirs:

Name:	IMG_0994.JPG 
Views:	66 
Size:	155.6 KB 
ID:	231366

- Went up the Midi on 3/20 with total bluebird; blew my mind... Found some incredible untracked pitches coming down the standard Valle Blanche highway. That nice 30-40deg rolling stretch down the Geant felt like [what I imagine] heli skiing [to be]. Phenomenal!

- On 3/21 we hired Cham local Serge Obert to guide us up to Beugeant or Belvedere for some steeps. The wind had hammered the SE aspects of the Rouges and multiple slides on the ascent turned us back (including one that took Serge for a short ride). We recollected and took an easy out by heading out to Col du Berard for some mellower lines and sunny beers down at Hotel de Buet. Serge was awesome; highly recommend.

Thursday morning, 3/22 we drove through the tunnel and met the motley crew of the Ski Sentinelle in Valgrisenche to skin into Refugio Bezzio for four nights. ~40 dudes and 4 females in the crew; three days of awesome touring above the refugio including some big lines, couloirs and great snow. Really cool to meet and ski with a diverse group of passionate people (11 nationalities in attendance) and pretty rad to spend some time out in the mountains with Bruno, Layla, Ross Hewitt, Fred Degoulet and others who were part of the event. A great concept, event and experience for us!

Ridgeline traverse below the looming face of Aiguille de la Grande Sassière:

Name:	IMG_1167.jpg 
Views:	75 
Size:	1.12 MB 
ID:	231367

Sunday Funday ski below the Grande Traversière:

Name:	IMG_1213.jpg 
Views:	69 
Size:	1,023.8 KB 
ID:	231369

And I got to throw some jump turns down a nice 48deg couloir...

Name:	IMG_5236.jpg 
Views:	95 
Size:	1.28 MB 
ID:	231371

After 9 days in ski boots we mellowed out, heading south in the Renault for a meandering drive from Torino/Briancon/LaGrave/Provence/Bordeaux over a few days with three final nights in Bordeaux drinking winez. No complaints; a truly amazing first ski trip to the Alps!
    Last edited by Dr. Scientist; 04-05-2018 at 07:25 PM.

This thread has been kicking major ass, this season. Sorry about yer bender, Peds. Love the stuff you’ve been getting after.
    Keep on, keeping on.
    crab in my shoe mouth

Quote Originally Posted by buttahflake View Post
    This thread has been kicking major ass, this season. Sorry about yer bender, Peds. Love the stuff you’ve been getting after.
    Keep on, keeping on.
    #bestthreadontgr
    #1 goal this year......stay alive +
    DOWN SKIS

Cheers dudes, I'll get you some more details when I have a minute (currently between making courgette puree for daughter's lunch and preventing the same from escaping out the door), but me and the two physios that I've seen (who both gave me a thorough prodding) disagree with the opinion of the doctor (who poked at me for no more than three minutes and listened for a vague noise that wasn't there), and we think it isn't as bad as it could be. The fact that I was able to self-rescue down 1000m of mountain gives me a pretty optimistic slant on the whole thing, and I can't see myself being off skis for more than a couple of weeks, and I definitely won't be missing out on the bulk of steep season, whatever happens. But we'll see how physio goes.

the two physios that I've seen (who both gave me a thorough prodding) disagree with the opinion of the doctor (who poked at me for no more than three minutes and listened for a vague noise that wasn't there), and we think it isn't as bad as it could be.
    Classic! My wife's a physio and this is the same situation she wrestles with, all to often, as some docs/orthos only seem to give a cursory check. 2nd/3rd+ opinions are wise!

Pretty funny, I skied with Fred Degoulet 2 weeks ago on La Grave. Allez!
    Well maybe I'm the faggot America
    I'm not a part of a redneck agenda

Cheers dudes, I'll get you some more details when I have a minute (currently between making courgette puree for daughter's lunch and preventing the same from escaping out the door), but me and the two physios that I've seen (who both gave me a thorough prodding) disagree with the opinion of the doctor (who poked at me for no more than three minutes and listened for a vague noise that wasn't there), and we think it isn't as bad as it could be. The fact that I was able to self-rescue down 1000m of mountain gives me a pretty optimistic slant on the whole thing, and I can't see myself being off skis for more than a couple of weeks, and I definitely won't be missing out on the bulk of steep season, whatever happens. But we'll see how physio goes.
    Merde De Glace On the Freak When Ski
    >>>200 cm Black Bamboo Sidewalled DPS Lotus 120 : Best Skis Ever <<<

Spent the easter in Sunnmöre

Name:	29352424_10211977643057860_5054923886005583872_n.jpg 
Views:	79 
Size:	412.9 KB 
ID:	231431
    Looking for the next turn..

Amazing what a kid will do for a stripey doughnut....

In the afternoon the sun came out...

In April the Bec des Rosses gets all the attention because of the Verbier Xtreme but Verbier ain’t no one trick pony! Spent the afternoon exploring the different faces of Mont Fort...

Started lookers left threading a route through the cliffs under the cables. This looked like a good chute...

But no way through the rocks in the crux so glad I went further across! Phew...

Back up and over to the other side and along the South ridge.. Was going to hike up to ski the big face skiers right but came across this beautiful loaded couloir!

It was steep at the top and sluffy so picked out a couple of islands of safety to let the sluff go and then went for it. What a ride!

Back up and some guys were making the bootpack up to the cross so followed them. Were they going to B52, North Face or maybe... the steep narrow shoot I’ve had my eye on 🤞

Alas it was the North Face but not a bad booby prize. Patric enjoying the blower pow 💥

And then a new straight line chute above Super Bowl

The off piste tracks out real fast in Verbier 😉

Love the backside 😍

So much fun and some new ideas in the pipeline...

The Bec is going to be tasty today...

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Scientist View Post
    Classic! My wife's a physio and this is the same situation she wrestles with, all to often, as some docs/orthos only seem to give a cursory check. 2nd/3rd+ opinions are wise!
    Amen, they seemed sceptical from the moment I mentioned that I had jogged there from the car park because it was raining a little, and as they were manipulating my leg every which way asking "Does this hurt? How about now? Not even now?", they just didn't seem to believe it could be a full tear. This makes me optimistic. They both said that it was important not to get my hopes up because there really is no way of knowing without seeing the MRI, but the initial treatment over the next few weeks is the same whatever the damage is. So that's the focus now, a few weeks of strength training, then straight back into it.

Amen, they seemed sceptical from the moment I mentioned that I had jogged there from the car park because it was raining a little, and as they were manipulating my leg every which way asking "Does this hurt? How about now? Not even now?", they just didn't seem to believe it could be a full tear. This makes me optimistic. They both said that it was important not to get my hopes up because there really is no way of knowing without seeing the MRI, but the initial treatment over the next few weeks is the same whatever the damage is. So that's the focus now, a few weeks of strength training, then straight back into it.
    You may want to consider using a compex for strengthening, you can build a lot of muscle and strength in a short period of time.

This is how I get strong for the ski and mountain bike season.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using TGR Forums mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by rod9301 View Post
    You may want to consider using a compex for strengthening, you can build a lot of muscle and strength in a short period of time.
    This is how I get strong for the ski and mountain bike season.
    Hmm, it's not really my sort of thing, to be honest... I've never considered anything like that. I often polish off the last few gobfuls in a bottle of my daughter's formula though, that's pretty tasty.
    Can you recommend a product, and I'll do some reading on it...?

I use compex elite, but there are many other ones.

Be prepared for muscle contractions harder than anything you've ever experienced, not like you can watch TV while you're doing it.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using TGR Forums mobile app