Page 652 of 820 FirstFirst ... 647 648 649 650 651 652 653 654 655 656 657 ... LastLast
Results 16,276 to 16,300 of 20494
    Quote Originally Posted by Rossymcg View Post
    any euro mags done much in the Dolomites? particularly the madonna area,

Sent from my SM-G930F using TGR Forums mobile app
    there has been some discussion in the trip reports:

https://www.tetongravity.com/forums/...ps-Summer-2018

https://www.tetongravity.com/forums/...e-Italian-Alps

Me personally I've only been in summer (so more steep rock for the euros ;-)

any euro mags done much in the Dolomites? particularly the madonna area
    Can only speak to the Sella. Never been to the Brenta but it's supposed to be awesome and a bit livelier at night.

any euro mags done much in the Dolomites? particularly the madonna area,

Not a Euro mag, but I did a couple (maybe 3) days in M dC in January 2015 after a few days staying in Corvara and skiing the Sella. There was a lot more going on in the town than in Corvara, which is sleepy, but it didn't necessarily look much more active or large than Val Gardena was on a daytime pass through. It was a plenty big area, but there's some flats spots on the way back into town from the nearest sector. Definitely a worthy destination, but I preferred the vibe around the Sella a little more, and it is a much more extensive lift connected area than M d'C

thanks for replies, i was thinking more like whats the lift served off piste like, snow record, bike park for summer, ive avoided the area due to my conception of it being dry, ive been informed(rightly or wrongly)that they get plenty of snow, the reason i ask im working out viable places to buy an apartment,
    i love italy the culture/food/prices but not done as much over there as in France,

i dont kare i carnt spell or youse punktuation properlee, im on a skiing forum

the bike deal in the summer in the Sella is nuts. tons of downhill, gondies all over hauling bikes, lots of people riding.

Train access to Val Gardena is decent with a 30 minute taxi up from Ponte Gardena Laion/Waidbruck-Lajen or Bolzano.
    Merde De Glace On the Freak When Ski
    >>>200 cm Black Bamboo Sidewalled DPS Lotus 120 : Best Skis Ever <<<

I don't have facts to back it up, but I'm pretty sure the dolomites are on average relatively dry. But then they also get crazy spells that cut off the villages, and think they lost at least one lift a few years back due to snow load.

It wouldn't be my first choice for lift served off piste though. The snow, but also the area is apparently a bit more jumpy about people going off piste than most of Europe - if you're skiing slack country in sight of a lift then patrol can get funny and pull you off the mountain. Probably something to do with the number of shear cliffs about the place. If you stay out of view you're apparently fine. At least this is what Francesco Tremolada told me when we skied with him. And if you want a more positive view of what can be achieved then look him and his book up!

Quote Originally Posted by ArchieD View Post
    Probably something to do with the number of shear cliffs about the place.
    I don't think so - this is just some weird law that implies you endanger others if you ski off piste. ski-touring is not an issue as you do not endanger people on the slopes... everybody knows this is fucked up but skiing is low priority for law makers so they did not change it since the court ruling that started it all a few years ago.
    Maybe some Italians have better facts on this but that is what I have heard and the problem is not isolated to resorts with cliffs.

Yeah, that's probably right. Though I think it's technically illegal to ski off piste in other bits of Italy, but they tend to enforce it less than in the dolomiti. That could be misinformation (though I've never had a guide elsewhere in Italy warm us about it), or could be different laws or a different attitude to enforcement. Who knows. Just move fast near lifts

Yeah, that's probably right. Though I think it's technically illegal to ski off piste in other bits of Italy, but they tend to enforce it less than in the dolomiti. That could be misinformation (though I've never had a guide elsewhere in Italy warm us about it), or could be different laws or a different attitude to enforcement. Who knows. Just move fast near lifts
    The dolomiti are in a national park and it's illegal to use explosives to control avalanches. That's why it's illegal to do ski off piste

Everywhere else in Italy there's no problem.

Sent from my moto g(6) using TGR Forums mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by rod9301 View Post
    The dolomiti are in a national park and it's illegal to use explosives to control avalanches. That's why it's illegal to do ski off piste

Everywhere else in Italy there's no problem.

Sent from my moto g(6) using TGR Forums mobile app
    Not true.

Bormio and Livigno, for example, have each had issues with offpiste over the years. Recently, LIvigno has set some explicit access policies for certain areas, but in general. you have to pay attention to whether or not backcountry skiing is allowed.

Also:
    https://wepowder.com/en/forum/topic/184708

The big 'problem' (or confusion at least) is that every local government can make their own laws about freeriding in their municipality. This is happening in some resorts in the Dolomites. For example: it's forbidden by local law in Arabba (Veneto) to ski out of bounds, but it's allowed in neighboring village Canazei (Trentino // Alto Adige). And that's quite hard, because the border is right in the mountains.

https://www.independent.co.uk/travel...e-1893331.html .
    Merde De Glace On the Freak When Ski
    >>>200 cm Black Bamboo Sidewalled DPS Lotus 120 : Best Skis Ever <<<

Yeah, that's probably right. Though I think it's technically illegal to ski off piste in other bits of Italy, but they tend to enforce it less than in the dolomiti.
    No.

Quote Originally Posted by hafjell View Post
    No.
    No to what?

No, they enforce it as much?
    No, it is legal everywhere else?
    No, it is illegal somewhere but not everywhere?

I am confused...

Quote Originally Posted by LeoK View Post
    No to what?

I am confused...
    not as confussed as me, i know in the piedmonte to ski any off piste you need shovel beeper and probe, i skied with a guide in Cervinia last year and didnt get sent to prison and bummed by a mafia hit man,

Quote Originally Posted by LeoK View Post
    No to what?

I am confused...
    I just wrote a long explanation, but, in an attempt to keep the jongs away, I've deleted it.
    In fairness to the folks who make their living in the ski industry I will say, IME, off-piste skiing is encouraged in the South Tirol. Would love to read something from a state agency or local municipality stating where and when off-piste is illegal. Can't find anything about Arabba. The only sources I've found are from jong Brit chat rooms. Not exactly authoritative.
    I've skied through Arabba five times, skied off-piste everytime, and not had a problem. YMMV.
    This notion will be especially absurd to those who have been there. And doubly absurd to those who have used a little lift between Arabba and Canizei called the...

i skied with a guide in Cervinia last year and didnt get sent to prison and bummed by a mafia hit man,
    Look, if I ever get sent to prison and bummed by a mafia hit man, I definitely wouldn't tell people about it on the internet. Just sayin', yo.
    Short stories about snow and rock, and pictures, too

Quote Originally Posted by peds View Post
    Look, if I ever get sent to prison and bummed by a mafia hit man, I definitely wouldn't tell people about it on the internet. Just sayin', yo.
    we're not just people on the interweb, getting bummed by a mafia hit man may get some cred on TGR

Lots of precip coming in the south but too warm. By lots I mean 3m + above 2500-2700m...

Maybe a small window on Sunday in the central northern Swiss alps where Southern precip and colder air from the north meet before it gets warmer again on Sunday. I'll keep an eye on my favorite meadows. But they need a meter before I'd go. We'll see...

Sent from my BLA-L29 using TGR Forums mobile app
    It's a war of the mind and we're armed to the teeth.

Quote Originally Posted by subtle plague View Post
    Lots of precip coming in the south but too warm. By lots I mean 3m + above 2500-2700m...

Maybe a small window on Sunday in the central northern Swiss alps where Southern precip and colder air from the north meet before it gets warmer again on Sunday. I'll keep an eye on my favorite meadows. But they need a meter before I'd go. We'll see...

Sent from my BLA-L29 using TGR Forums mobile app
    yeah it sucks, 2-3 °C cooler and it would be jackpot everywhere. Sunday and maybe tuesday might work depending where you go.

Here there will be shit loads of foehn so it's not gonna make a good homogenous base layer

Yeah, forecast for tirol has +1 at 3000m and a shit load of rain. Rain is good as its been bone dry, but i reckon we'll see some landslides if the forecast amount really does come down

Looks like snow below 2000m in these parts. I’m sure we’ll see some action on Tuesday! Zermatt on course for a snowmageddon event 😱

1450m here locally...

Sent from my SM-A600FN using Tapatalk

Snowing at 1200m here (and starting to stick to the street!)...

i might be hanging out at the diavolezza when it clears on friday or saturday. anyone else?
    I hope they dont open andermatt, so i have another spot for the weekend after

anyway the southern flow pattern is proving quite persistent, unfortunately it gets really warm today and tomorrow but a lot of more snow, and cooling on tuesday. Long term seems like more sw/southern flow so the alpine (above 2000m) in the south will have a good and above 2500m an amazing base when they open things.
    It's a war of the mind and we're armed to the teeth.

Knowledge is Powder

Quote Originally Posted by subtle plague View Post
    i might be hanging out at the diavolezza when it clears on friday or saturday. anyone else?
    I hope they dont open andermatt, so i have another spot for the weekend after

anyway the southern flow pattern is proving quite persistent, unfortunately it gets really warm today and tomorrow but a lot of more snow, and cooling on tuesday. Long term seems like more sw/southern flow so the alpine (above 2000m) in the south will have a good and above 2500m an amazing base when they open things.

If you happen to go out on sunday PM me and I will try to join!

EDIT: Just figured Saturday might work, too.
    Last edited by LeoK; 10-28-2018 at 09:14 AM.