Page 750 of 813 FirstFirst ... 745 746 747 748 749 750 751 752 753 754 755 ... LastLast
Results 18,726 to 18,750 of 20323
    Quote Originally Posted by NWFlow View Post
    Heading to Davos for work in late November through mid January. Any recommendations for passes? Or do day tickets/tour and explore more?

Never spent much time in the Alps in winter, so looking forward to checking it out!
    I typically spend 90% of time in winter in Klosters, around the corner from Davos, so reach out when you’re there or if you want to chat about anything in the lead up.

I have a topcard which requires about 20 days skiing to break even. They aren’t very generous when it comes to discounts for half day (you save something like 15chf), so having sunk the cost gives peace of mind when you go up even for a quick run.

The past few years, the mountain has partially opened on weekends from November, with full opening from earlyish December. With a bit of luck you can get some pretty amazing snow days in December (especially mid week) with no one else on the hill before everyone really gets into ski mode.

Thanks for the info -- i will definitely reach out when I get the dates and lodging confirmed. I'm leaning towards the top card for both of us, but will be a bit date-dependent.

Is it possible to do quick pre or post work fitness laps from town? We're coming down from the far north to escape the dark, but will be bringing headlamps as well.

November December will be difficult with a 9 to 5 Job.
    As long as you're not from B.C. or AK, we're pretty far north here same as the pnw.
    So in December it's 7:30 zo 8 sunrise and 4:30 to 4 sunset.

Each area has a skin up policy..depending on preparation and depending on spinning lifts. I don't know about davos, but usually it's ok Unless they are preparing the slopes.
    It's a war of the mind and we're armed to the teeth.

Quote Originally Posted by NWFlow View Post
    Thanks for the info -- i will definitely reach out when I get the dates and lodging confirmed. I'm leaning towards the top card for both of us, but will be a bit date-dependent.

Is it possible to do quick pre or post work fitness laps from town? We're coming down from the far north to escape the dark, but will be bringing headlamps as well.
    Yes, it’s easy to do pre- or post-work fitness laps, with headlamps for the moonless times. Issue could be snow cover that time of year.

Perfect, thanks! Luckily, it won't be a nine to five (research) and I'm coming down from Svalbard so literally any light will be fine ...

Uuh. So you're working in snow science. Nice.
    Ok since you're coming from the depth of night light should be ok.

If you do research, I'd just ski the lifts for two hours and head to work. Season starts at Nov 18th. Snowcover can be iffy though. Pray for a repeat of 17/18.

Quote Originally Posted by DSG_Mantra View Post
    Yay!

I have a milestone birthday in January 2023, and trying to arrange a bucket list ski trip to Europe. FWIW, I am an Epic Pass holder and have so far confined my potential choices to 3 Vallees, Verbier and St Anton. Leaning hard towards 3 Vallees, so much so that I’ve booked an 8 bed chalet in Meribel from Jan 26 to Feb 2.

We have a very diverse group from beginner up to expert with potentially a backcountry guide. People coming from US, Europe and Asia. I’ll need something where the apres is excellent, the slopes offer a wide range, but has enough white-knuckle stuff and hopefully pow, to keep the entire crew happy.

If in 3 Vallees, where to stay? Val Thorens, Meribel or Courchevel? Any tips on finding a qualified backcountry guide? Will we be hitting the France national school holidays or UK holidays during that time?

Any reason to can 3 Vallees and go for St Anton, Verbier or even Andermatt?

Thanks in advance for your help.
    For white knuckle Verbier blows away St Anton and 3V IMO. For piste mileage 3V is the clear winner. For snow depths St Anton.

They all have good après, restaurants etc if you’ve got plenty of dosh.

Quote Originally Posted by subtle plague View Post
    Uuh. So you're working in snow science. Nice.
    Ok since you're coming from the depth of night light should be ok.

If you do research, I'd just ski the lifts for two hours and head to work. Season starts at Nov 18th. Snowcover can be iffy though. Pray for a repeat of 17/18.
    If you’re working at the SLF, make sure they post you in the offices at the top of the parsennbahn haha

The Euro and the Dollar are currently equal, the first time that's happened in 20 years.

https://youtu.be/6FwsnAXlVaE

New tunnel being built at Galicer 3000.

This will put a piste down a classic "sidecountry" zone by building a new tunnel through the cliff below the midstation. Access before came with a long and partiality exposed traverse. The new access makes an official route to the parking lot and will allow this zone to be skied when the top is closed for weather (quite often).

Here is some pov from a dry spell in January is said zone.

https://youtu.be/LezBCNsUUG8

Sent from my M2101K6G using Tapatalk

the glacier at kitzsteinhorn is annihilated

Tough year for em. Glaciers that is. Between that and the disappearing permafrost, erratic heavy downpours of rain and the hordes of tourists the Alps we used to know seem to be just a happy memory.

On a lighter note, stoked to get out skiing again! Four months to go!!
    Last edited by beer30; 07-22-2022 at 12:01 PM.

Just left the kids at Saas Fee ski racing camp. The glacier there is melting before our eyes. The amount of water flowing down the face is amazing and it was seriously warm and cooking.

Only reserved camps allowed at the moment, tourists can't just rock up. It was iffy if it was going to open at all apparently...
    He who has the most fun wins!

It's already worse than 2003. And 2003 started having a negative mass Balance around now. We are 4 weeks ahead and no end in sight.

Quote Originally Posted by Buster Highmen View Post
    Don't overlook Swiss trains, they're amazing. There's lots of connections from either Zurich or Geneva to Verbier, St. Anton, St. Moritz, Andermatt/Disentis SkiArena.
    https://www.sbb.ch/en/timetable.html
    Trois Vallees and Val d'Isere/Tignes each require a bus, taxi or car connection as do Lech/Zurs.

St. Anton doesn't have the cosmopolitan vibe that either Davos/Klosters or St. Moritz has. In order of snow surety I'd rank St. Anton first, then Davos/Klosters then St. Moritz. Don't overlook Davos/Klosters for a good balance for you and your group.
    I’ve confirmed 3 Vallees for a number of reasons. Looks like Verbier / Andermatt / St. Anton will need to wait.

Looks like there is a train from Geneva to Moutiers that takes 3 hours, have you entered 3 Vallees from Moutiers?

After 2 1/2 years in NZ Covid prison, we're seriously longing to get back to The Alps. Reading all your suggestions makes me think of all the places I haven't been.

I could easily go and spend a spring month or two in a small village in the Aosta Valley, doing a bit of resort skiing, and lots of unreal touring. That, spiced up with sunny side hikes, gelato and pastries in the afternoon sun, and deadly Negronis at Cafe Mt Blanc would make me a very happy man.

Quote Originally Posted by Island Bay View Post
    After 2 1/2 years in NZ Covid prison, we're seriously longing to get back to The Alps. Reading all your suggestions makes me think of all the places I haven't been.

I could easily go and spend a spring month or two in a small village in the Aosta Valley, doing a bit of resort skiing, and lots of unreal touring. That, spiced up with sunny side hikes, gelato and pastries in the afternoon sun, and deadly Negronis at Cafe Mt Blanc would make me a very happy man.
    I, too, could go for this. I have one more kid to boot out of the nest, and then perhaps I can start to make plans...

Quote Originally Posted by DSG_Mantra View Post
    I’ve confirmed 3 Vallees for a number of reasons. Looks like Verbier / Andermatt / St. Anton will need to wait.

Looks like there is a train from Geneva to Moutiers that takes 3 hours, have you entered 3 Vallees from Moutiers?
    We went to La Grave and Briancon via Grenoble where there's decent car rental options.

Drove Grenoble<->La Grave<->Briancon<->Claviere<->Bardoneccia<->Frejus Tunnel<->St. Michel du Maurienne to access Val Thorens from Orelle, skiing along the way.
    Merde De Glace On the Freak When Ski
    >>>200 cm Black Bamboo Sidewalled DPS Lotus 120 : Best Skis Ever <<<

Snow for the Euros.

Also the Lyon airport is on the Grenoble side of town and the Grenoble airport is on the Lyon side of town, (70 Km apart), so we typically fly into Lyon when we do that trip, and you might have better rental car options out if Lyon. Also better train options out of Lyon depending on destinations.
    Well maybe I'm the faggot America
    I'm not a part of a redneck agenda

New snow at Lyngen alps. Winter's around the corner

Lähetetty minun LYA-L29 laitteesta Tapatalkilla

Between a rock and a soft place. Aberdare and The Brecon Beacons, Wales
    FUN

A whole load of FUN

Hey gang, my wife and I are planning on coming to ski in France for 5 weeks this season, and figured asking some questions here might be better than starting a new thread.

We will be renting a car and are totally willing to move around depending on snow conditions. Ideally, we'll do about 5 days or so in 5 or 5 different regions. We'd like to do a mix of the big name places and under the radar places. We will have resort and touring gear as well as avalanche and glacier gear with the knowledge to use it.

Here are some places we are putting on the possible list:

Val d'Isere/Tignes
    Les Arcs/La Plagne/Ste Foy
    3 Vallees
    Mauriene Valley places like Valfrejus, Norma, Bonneval Sur Arc
    Sestreire/Sauze d'Oux/Montgenevre/Serre Chevalier
    La Grave/Deux Alpes/Alpe d'Huez
    Areches Beaufort/Hauteluce
    Chamonix
    La Cluzas

Anywhere else folks would suggest I should look into? Anything on that list I should eliminate?

We'll be there about Jan 10-Feb 10 if that makes a difference on conditions. And if anyone wants to get out and ski with us while we're there, the après is on us!

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by TOLOCOMan View Post
    Hey gang, my wife and I are planning on coming to ski in France for 5 weeks this season, and figured asking some questions here might be better than starting a new thread.

We will be renting a car and are totally willing to move around depending on snow conditions. Ideally, we'll do about 5 days or so in 5 or 5 different regions. We'd like to do a mix of the big name places and under the radar places. We will have resort and touring gear as well as avalanche and glacier gear with the knowledge to use it.

Val d'Isere/Tignes
    3 Vallees
    Chamonix
    La Cluzas

Anywhere else folks would suggest I should look into? Anything on that list I should eliminate?

We'll be there about Jan 10-Feb 10 if that makes a difference on conditions. And if anyone wants to get out and ski with us while we're there, the après is on us!

Thanks!
    I haven't skied it but I hear pretty good things about Prali if you're looking for under the radar locations. Like La Grave, Serre-Chevalier, and the Via Lattea resorts, it gets pounded by the retour d'est. Kind of like La Grave, Prali has a big lift served off-piste area.

Quote Originally Posted by Buke View Post
    I haven't skied it but I hear pretty good things about Prali if you're looking for under the radar locations. Like La Grave, Serre-Chevalier, and the Via Lattea resorts, it gets pounded by the retour d'est. Kind of like La Grave, Prali has a big lift served off-piste area.
    Have to look into that place more. Looks good from what I see and we certainly like the smaller places with good skiing!

Quote Originally Posted by TOLOCOMan View Post

Val d'Isere/Tignes
    3 Vallees
    Chamonix
    La Cluzas

Thanks!
    Great list.
    A few more places around Briancon that get dumps and are fun are Puy St. Vincent and Vars/Risoul. We liked the terrain between Montgenevre and Claviere in the Milky Way.
    Puy has some great tree skiing skiers left and Vars has a little lower elevation t-bar over on skiers right that serves some great glades.
    There's another little sleeper in there, Pelvoux on the backside of the Ecrins.

If you don't hook up with locals, a guide is really, really worth it at La Grave.

Val Frejus is a gas, really unexpected steeps and great sidecountry. Mont Cenis is good. La Norma is kind of flat.

We didn't make it over to the Queyras areas, 3 smaller areas with 1000m vertical each like Ceillac, Abries and Molines, but heard good things. Very low key and some good touring and huts along the French-Italian border.

Another one that is intersting is La Thuile/La Rosiere. Kind of an odd layout, but straddling the FR-IT border. You can easily leave a car in La Rosiere, ski over to La Thuile in Italy and get a bus to Courmayeur.

Note that it's really easy to get around. You can make it over to Courmayeur quickly by driving over the Col de Montgenevre, angle down towards Turin and from there head North to get to either Courmayeur/Cham or the Monte Rosa Champoluc Gressoney/Alagna. The drive from Bardoneccia/Oulx to Alagna is about 5 hours and really worth it if they have snow. You can also get a car train in the Simplon tunnel from Domodossola to Brig from where one can access Verbier and Cham to the west or Andermatt to the east as well as a ton of areas along the Rhone river valley.
    Merde De Glace On the Freak When Ski
    >>>200 cm Black Bamboo Sidewalled DPS Lotus 120 : Best Skis Ever <<<