Page 494 of 821 FirstFirst ... 489 490 491 492 493 494 495 496 497 498 499 ... LastLast
Results 12,326 to 12,350 of 20518
    Quote Originally Posted by powtario View Post
    Had an a-fucking-mazing time with Orash and some Swedish friends of his on the Midi on Sunday. Vrai Vallee Blanche was insane. He also let me crash on his couch and drove me to Chamonix, Class A maggot!

Word, thanks for that.

Any word today from verbier on the attelas/3 amigos couloirs in particular?

I imagine a bunch of people skiied them in the afternoon with the weather clearing some, or no?

Wanna see if I should hit it up tomorrow or save my 3 verbier days left for wed/thur and later.

Today was pretty damn good...

January was awesome In la Clusaz....just à taste here:

In and around Nendaz yesterday.

Name:  thumbs_nsr_feb4_001.jpg
Views: 630
Size:  10.3 KB

Not bad on Prarion yesterday, not bad at all!

More Here.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	nsr_feb4_001.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	267.1 KB 
ID:	131900  

Ok, so T-2day till departure so here come the questions from the stupid American.

We we be traveling directly to Courmayeur from the airport, staying there two days and then going to Cham for a week. We were planning on purchasing the Mont Blanc Unlimited Pass http://www.compagniedumontblanc.co.u...lanc-unlimited Can are were can you purchase this is Courmayeur? I've found conflicting info online. How do the reservations work for the Gran Montet tram and the Auguille?

Thanks

^^^ I don't know if you can buy it in courmayuer, but maybe someone else knows. I'd likely guess not though.

Once you have your pass, you can use the ID number listed on the pass and make a reservation online here: https://www.ski-chamonix.info/

You will need to create an account then. But you must bring a print out of your reservation, they don't have it saved in their lift system automatically...

In your case, I would just go to the ticket counter at the aig du midi, or at grand montet to make the reservation for the tram and they will give you a print out. I almost never bother with the reservation system though, but I usually get my runs in and line up before the queue gets long, or just leave once that happens, because by then stuff has been tracked a lot more. You have to time it right for a reservation and you could just spend that time waiting for your reservation in line. Plus they don;t even have reservations for the first 1.5 hours of each day I think.

In all honesty though, they should just get rid of the reservation system. It just makes the queue twice as long, which is evident as soon as the reservations for the day kicks in.

Also, know that unless it is high season, they start patrol work later than in north america. They don't really update the snow report before about 8am either, so you just gotta look out the window, if it looks like they got dumped on head to the lifts.
    Last edited by Orash111; 02-05-2013 at 10:50 AM.

Not bad at Fieberbrunn at all. The easy to hit spots went from zero to millions of lines though in about 2 hours.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2013-02-06 at 11-42-14.jpg 
Views:	165 
Size:	229.9 KB 
ID:	131911

A quick video of it just chucking down in Nendaz last night.

Should be fun today!

^^^^
    Sadly we had to leave Verbier yesterday and got hammered on our drive back, making things pretty 'interesting'. Fun days nonetheless despite yesterday's upper mountain closures.

Back to work.

The powders shots look awesome everyone - really makes me want to head down. I'm in Paris - and have been trying to figure out which resort to go to that is 1) reachable by train directly (or almost) and 2) has tree skiing. I did some online research and people say Val d'Isère-Tignes, Chamonix but they seem pretty overwhelmingly large? What about St. Gervais? There is a direct train from Paris. And what about the Pyrenees? If anybody is familiar with Lake Tahoe, CA, I rode at Kirkwood for many years - what's has sort of a similar vibe in France? Thanks in advance for your help!
    Last edited by julesrules; 02-06-2013 at 07:07 AM.

I am in Arlberg now...what an awesome day. Deep pow everywhere and was pretty sunny in the morning, cloudy now. Was hoping up top would open today but alas, no luck. Gonna go ride Stuben tomorrow, my last day.

Question: if you were going to go anywhere in Europe to snowboard this Sat-Monday (9-11) where would you go?
    I'm thinking the Dolomites, maybe Val Gardena. Had originally planned on heading to Montgenevre next but gonna cancel that due to snow. Also, I'm heading to Chamonix on the 12th.

Couple shots from Fieberbrunn yesterday-- snow was pretty heavy, but fun.

youre aware that skiing off piste without a backpack is kinda unsmart?

freak~[&]

^^ first thing that came to mind.

Quote Originally Posted by freak View Post
    youre aware that skiing off piste without a backpack is kinda unsmart?

freak~[&]
    I am. I don't ski off piste without a backpack (or beacon/shovel/probe). And partners carrying who know how to use it. But not everybody close to the pistes carries...

Quote Originally Posted by A2thaK View Post

Question: if you were going to go anywhere in Europe to snowboard this Sat-Monday (9-11) where would you go?
    I'm thinking the Dolomites, maybe Val Gardena. Had originally planned on heading to Montgenevre next but gonna cancel that due to snow. Also, I'm heading to Chamonix on the 12th.
    All reports ive heard say southern alps are hurting for snow right now... Forecast is calling for 40-60cm in the arlberg the next 3 days, not sure why you'd wanna leave right as its about to dump...? Ski the trees and enjoy!

On another note, heard 3 Germans triggered an avy in ötztal today, one caught and buried, took an hour and a half to find him, no avy gear... RIP
    Be safe out there guys, heard some collapsing today while skiing and it scared the shit out of me....

(In Arlberg) We saw some signs of fracturing, actually helped a girl that fell in a ~4' crevasse created as the snow started to pull away to slide just off the Kapall lift on the off piste. We are gonna go check out Stuben tomorrow.

My issue with staying in Arlberg is we are not huge fans of the food, lol. I swear everything is pickled or vinegar and everything is pork; which I don't normally have an issue with, but enough is enough. Also, I want to get some bluebird days where we can get up high.

We are going to stay away from the southern alps. It appears that the Dolomites received snow recently, but are supposed to be clear for the next few days so I thought that would be a good option.

Also, not sure where to go in the trees here, all the trees appear to be restricted to no skiing

Sonnenkopf

Also, not sure where to go in the trees here, all the trees appear to be restricted to no skiing
    Dolomites are pretty ok right now for sure otherwise as Tech said Sonnenkopf is nice not far from Stuben.
    Enjoy
    that's not bad...
    www.nosiesta.com
    IFMGA Ski & Mountain Guide

Anyone been out up high the last couple of days in Tirol. Got an exam tomorrow and then class all day but Friday is the day to go touring. I know I shouldnt be complaining cause i have gotten some great skiing in, in really deep snow but the weather is dicking Austria again monday cold light snow in the morning in abundance then got heavier around 2 and shit started cracking and this week murdering France and Switz and then at the weekend murdering Macedonia. Its a full on yoyo around Austria.

Sonnenkopf is nice for sure, also had a few days before skiing rendl trees when it was nuking, only a few people riding the gondola when i was there. Vorarlberg definitely seems pretty anal in the tree-skiing departement, not sure how the rest of Austria is about that. There are similar rules in Switzerland , but from what ive seen things are enforced less, however you will pay a ton more than anywhere else if you are caught...

Although not NA style there's plenty of tree skiing off Galzig, Rendl and some great stuff particulary around Lech.

Anyone have photos or first hand knowledge of the Pyrenees? I heard it is absolutley going off right now, too much snow to ski!

sonnenkopf tree skiing is amazing. They have signs saying you can't ski in the forest, but Fuck it. Go for it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I997 using TGR Forums
    god created man. winchester and baseball bats made them equal - evel kenievel