Page 384 of 820 FirstFirst ... 379 380 381 382 383 384 385 386 387 388 389 ... LastLast
Results 9,576 to 9,600 of 20483
    Hy, I skied some resorts in Corinthia and i liked it! Especially Nassfeld and the Mölltaler Glacier can be amazing if there is good snow! I don´t know why stantonbum1 thinks that the terrain is not great, so here´s a video with to see that there is really nice terrain:

If you compare Kaernten with CH you would probably earn more money but life is much more expansive in CH! Furthermore the living in Villach is not poorer than in other Austrian towns with the same size! I would say that you have really good opportunities in winter and in summer as herr_stoiber mentioned above. Oh and Munich is full of snobs ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by Shreddy_Krueger View Post
    Hy, I skied some resorts in Corinthia and i liked it! Especially Nassfeld and the Mölltaler Glacier can be amazing if there is good snow! I don´t know why stantonbum1 thinks that the terrain is not great, so here´s a video with to see that there is really nice terrain:
    The terrain doesnt look that great when you compare it to places like Arlberg, Verbier, Cham, La Grave, etc......

Quote Originally Posted by stantonbum1 View Post
    The terrain doesnt look that great when you compare it to places like Arlberg, Verbier, Cham, La Grave, etc......
    Terrain taste is a matter of opinion :-) OK maybe the places like Arlberg, Verb, Cham, La G offer nice terrain BUT tons of people are almost fighting for the first line and you will not have this problem at Moelltaler ;-)

@scottish: living in kaernten might not be too bad. you are close to the mountains, and as everywhere in the alps it depends of the season of you get good snow or not. the mountains are generelly smaller as in the west, but you will find nice stuff to ride, for sure. probably not the fancy 2000m vertical runs with 45 degrees, but enough to have a good time. same here in tirol.
    having said this, if you get a good job offer in lausanne or switzerland in general and you can handle with a lot of fog in the wintertime, go there! better mountains. better salary. higher living quality (even if living is expensive over there). and more people speaking a good english (which makes things easier for you).
    lived in switzerland, lived (as so for the next season, too) in Tirol. both is really nice and totally worth living there for mountainaddicts.

i suggest also to consider northern italy...

ps: oh, and yes, there are some nice lines to find (with good access). as everywhere. but the average-tgr-eurovisitor going to cham, engelberg, verbier and arlberg might not notice this e.g. tirol is flat and usually has no snow at all! just look at klar´s pictures/tr´s. example:
    Last edited by Marius; 09-02-2011 at 07:50 AM.

Thanks all
    Will see what happens (lots of factors to consider, not just skiing unfortunately!)

Looking at the insane exchange rate (£1 = 1 euro = 1.3chf) I am not sure who will be skiing in CH this winter. If I has to guess even the Swiss locals will be going over to Austria, Italy or France for cheaper skiing!

Quote Originally Posted by stantonbum1 View Post

As shreddy said : your doing it wrong!
    Of course they cant be compared in the "looks" with the forementioned places. but what they lack in that department,they make up in the lack of crowds. that
    added with good terrain and good snow, makes the area awesome.

Or,do you think this is how verbiers or chamonixs parking lot would look after a dump?

The small resorts in that corner of austria are nice, as you can basically do liftserved pow shredding with very little competition. And you have slovenia,dolomitis,tirol & dachstein only 1-2 hours away...

The floggings will continue until morale improves.

I'm thinking about heading over to Germany for the season, has anyone seen any long term forecasts for this winter?

HAHA... Come on are you just trying to name 4 of the most famous free ride areas in the world. 99% of the world cant compare to them. In terms of lift access no where can compete with those places. Its cool down there trust me. Dont get caught up in the ideas of grandeur and the ideas that it needs to be bad ass.

Some of the best pow free ride days are gonna be at smaller out of the way resorts where you dont have to compete with 500 other people for a line. Get a season pass and just explore. The alps are big steep and a lot of the time do not have much snow but sick terrain can be found in all and every corner.

I love the idea how standard of living is brought into question constantly each place has its own flavour and style visit then see if you like it there. Concerning CH be prepared to pay for everything and a lot for the things you are buying. Its all expensive.

On a side note Vienna in Austria is 2 on the most livable city world index the only european country in the top 5 so standard of living is generally very high in this corner of the world. Dont get caught up in the CH standard of living hype.

London Mags - there is call for Beer coming up in a few weeks. Check in the Padded Room for details!
    Skiah for life

Quote Originally Posted by sqikunst View Post
    Dont get caught up in the CH standard of living hype.
    Wow.
    Not sure how to really respond to that one.
    Ski, Bike, Climb.
    Resistence is futile.

It's true. I live in CH, and the Q of L ain't all that. I don't care what your salary is, 16 dollar fast food is wrong. Too bad thats your only reasonable option 95% of the time.
    Quote Originally Posted by TeleAl View Post
    Wow.

Perhaps it's semantics,
    so let me note some terminology:
    Cost of Living vs. Quality of Life.

Not debating the first one, but the second one is not hype.
    Pardon the thread drift.
    Ski, Bike, Climb.
    Resistence is futile.

on the bright side everything just got 10% cheaper as of yesterday. (for tourists)

so how specifically does switzerland differ from neighbouring countries in terms of quality of life? just curious.
    Ich bitte dich nur, weck mich nicht.

2 words:
    Italy. France.

Any questions?
    Ski, Bike, Climb.
    Resistence is futile.

Hugh Conway Guest
    2 words:
    Italy. France.

Any questions?
    Why's booze so much cheaper in both of those? Cross the St Bernard into the aostatal and the same bottle of wine is 80% cheaper!

the other countries don't have nearly the high quality expats that CH does

living in italy and skiing in CH, I would say that italy is for red and CH for white (wine). it's just a matter of squeezin out the best from where you are

Ok, I will answer your question a bit more seriously.
    But, first let's admit, my 2 word reply above was pretty funny, and accurate.
    France and Italy are charming, but they are not run nearly as well.
    In fact, there are parts of those countries I would not allow myself near after dark (Marseilles, Naples).

Also, let's admit, the quality of life here is about as good as it gets.
    Other places may be as lucky, but that doesn't make this place hype.

Here are my reasons I don't call it hype:
    Clean water flowing on the streets of (almost) every town/city.
    Best trains in Europe, 2nd class here = 1st/Reserved class anywhere else.
    Highest train density, or so I am told.
    No homeless people. Crime near zero.
    Roads, tunnels, bridges, infrastructure top notch.
    Bike paths under rated and on par with Germany.
    Skiing and other outdoor activities available all over the place!!!
    The place is exploited for its nature, and nature is made convenient by benches and water, and mass transit.
    Did I mention clean water? Source of life that stuff is.
    Park benches on hiking paths, with a view.
    Swimming in most/all lakes, complete with badis for ease of changing,
    plus the beer and bratwurst (or a salad bar if you must be healthy) that makes swimming even more fun.
    Thermal bath houses, for when it's too cold for your baggage to handle.
    Education is as cheap as it is anywhere else.
    No dumps, no noisy cars, lots of cargo on rail.

I am not trying to compare CH with its neighbors, but more to state, it's not hype.
    Ski, Bike, Climb.
    Resistence is futile.

Quote Originally Posted by Hugh Conway View Post
    Why's booze so much cheaper in both of those? Cross the St Bernard into the aostatal and the same bottle of wine is 80% cheaper!
    Quality of Living vs. Cost of Living.
    Ski, Bike, Climb.
    Resistence is futile.

Clean water flowing on the streets of (almost) every town/city.
    oh, cool, so they wash the streets in switzerland too? they do it in innsbruck every morning. and yes of course the water is drinking quality, i mean imagine having to walk through unfiltered rain water or something on your way to work.

yeah, fine, marseille and naples don't have as many bike lanes, i'll give you that, but i think if you want that sort of quality of life you can get it in austria for less money. south tyrol and most of germany too, for that matter. not that switzerland isn't cool and they do have higher mountains. there is plenty of stuff not to like about both austria and switzerland, but when your choices are between villach and lausanne, post in first world problems thread.
    Ich bitte dich nur, weck mich nicht.

As you seem insistent on arguing, allow me to say,
    Are you smoking crack?

Quote Originally Posted by klar View Post
    yeah, fine, marseille and naples don't have as many bike lanes, i'll give you that,
    Wow.
    Ski, Bike, Climb.
    Resistence is futile.

i'm sure austria is just as nice as switzerland but that 50% tax rate would cut into my quality of life pretty quickly.

Quality of life here in Italy is about something else...say best food in the world(and booze if you wish) at the cheapest price, a land that is so diverse and naturally astonishing, from the deep blue and crystalline waters of the Aeolian islands, to the mountains of Valle d'Aosta or the Dolomites, passing by the hills and woods of central Italy and, of course, you can have lots of fun here.
    Yeah there's a lack of work, but we're about 70 millions and most of the people can make it to the end of the month through the help of parents, friends and relatives.
    But yeah, we've got lots of problems like high-end thieves (say politicians etc...), trash and so on...it's all about what you like. But yeah, I'll probably be looking for a job in Switzerland soon, but will always live on this side of the border (no offense to all my good friends in Switzerland, that I visit like twice a week eheh!!).
    Just my 2 cents...
    Always Fight Gravity

Time for an old joke....

In Heaven…

* the cars are German
    * the food is French
    * the police are British
    * the lovers are Italian
    * and everything is organized by the Swiss.

In Hell…

* the cars are French
    * the police are German
    * the food is British
    * the lovers are Swiss
    * and everything is organized by the Italians

Not quite sure how you measure 'quality of life' , however most places in western Europe it is without doubt high. For sure CH (and also Norway / Sweden) are exceptions. Funded by north sea oil and looted nazi gold But that certainly doesn't make France / Italy / Austria or UK bad places to live.
    Last edited by Scottish_Skier; 09-07-2011 at 04:12 AM.

^^ Totally agree with that eheh
    Always Fight Gravity